User Tag List

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 124

Thread: Roleplay Standards aren't being enforced

  1. #61
    Moderator Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roleplay on CM existed because of a specific factor: rivalry between metagroups.

    Be it loose, IC ones that formed spontaneously or more rigid, OOC groups, the RP on the server was driven by people who fucked around in their metagroup, then tried to meme around with another. Old Delta vs old Charlie for example. Or COs and MPs vs everyone. There's plenty of players that used to play MP for this reason, Arbs, Nanu, Gabo, Dee. Predators too, though they are a special case. And before you call me out, saying that in the past people simply griefed other players for their own enjoyment, have you ever played an actual RP server? Take bay for example. Baycode is absolutely STARVED in terms of gameplay elements, everything that happens revolves around antags. Around CONFLICT. Without conflict, Bay is a chatroom, and without conflict, CM is a TDM.

    But conflict is gone now. CO rules are rigid and basically don't allow any negative interactions, MPs are cucked in general, metagroups died out. Preds are a literal joke, 99999999 stupid rules, nerfed equipment, chased around by specific players that fish for a kill or a player report (fuck preds tho). Everything that used to drive conflict on the server was very slowly driven out, forbidden or coded out. And this isn't a recent thing, it's been happening since 2018.

    To put it bluntly: this isn't a good RP setting. A good RP environment. It just isn't. You can only be a cool tough 80s action hero so many times. Xeno RP is just downright dreadful. Devs have recently announced that they will be adding on-ship antags, which is an interesting step in the right direction, but having glanced at their guidelines and knowing the current staff climate, it will not go well. You'll get another hugbox, another extremely tightly controlled environment where only staff-mandated behaviours and interactions are allowed. It will be cancer for players to figure out how to avoid punishment, it will be cancer for staff to enforce, it will be filled with hidden rules, out of touch rulings based on personal opinion rather than an objectively best choice and an unhappy, confused playerbase.

    If you want RP, bring conflict back. If not just let people do whatever.
    Last edited by Don; 08-20-2020 at 05:19 PM.

  2. #62
    Community Manager ThesoldierLLJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,168
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the end of the day it's a Humans v Bugs/Aliens/Xenos game, not Marine v Marine game. Hopefully the agent system will change it a bit, but we've been pushing the devs for shipside stuff is for roleplay, ground side stuff is for click beno sprites they go dead.
    Head Shitposter in Charge and Community Manager
    Insert timeline of being staff here | Discord: Thesoldier#3107 - Open to DMs

  3. #63
    Moderator Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    At the end of the day it's a Humans v Bugs/Aliens/Xenos game, not Marine v Marine game.
    And back then it wasn't? Conflict doesn't have to imply murdering the shit out of each other. Back then it mostly happened with idiots that couldn't escalate and would get punished, or with large scale mutinies.

  4. #64
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Antags aren't fun for marines on the ground though, it's literally just another problem that weakens the marines, by either taking up resources(Time and attention), or literally killing critical operational members. And it always feels like an unfair advantage given to the xenos because fuck marines.

    Antags such as "extra hive" aren't fun for xenos, because XvX combat is atrocious, and unless either side win quickly, they won't have the numbers to stop the marines. Though often the marines will just flail around like idiots anyways.

    Preds are fucking unable to do anything, or act as an ANTAG, because all they do is duel 1 guy, usually win, then marines start trying to PB the fuck out of them for killing their best friend. Or worse, they side with the fucking xenos because ????? (Haven't seen the last one in a while, so it's probably against their rules now, so back to point 1 on preds, they can't do shit.)

    Antags need to be 3rd party, actively fucking with both sides IMO, but IDK how you'd even manage to do that successfully, being that xenos don't RP besides fulfilling their vore fetishes. Most marines don't RP, and actively go against direct orders because unga bunga no consequences unless the CO's right next to me. Preds would probably be RP cockblocked by some obscure rule #5 million and 1 preventing them from doing anything but "Hurr leet speak" and survivors are already meta dead because fuck you, we're a lurker and runner going around slashing everything and then when we spot you we merc your ass because we can.

    And going back to the orders things for marines. Why would they follow orders, when all it results in without fail is everyone in the squad following the order being permakilled for the rest of the round, because xenos don't do fucking capture hives unless the queen is super fucking win hungry. Or most marine players don't want to be xeno, because it's not fun being xeno if you're not good, or a t3.

  5. #65
    Senior Member BurningMetal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    we've been pushing the devs for shipside stuff is for roleplay, ground side stuff is for click beno sprites they go dead.
    im sory but this is a problem.. RP cant just be shipside... most of the game is ground side.

    you guys dont seems to understand that clic to make horizontal is just no fun witout RP aound it....

  6. #66
    Senior Member Dreven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    311
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    Windhealer is the reason that I view the staff in such a negative light when it comes to RP. I see him do stupid shit that has no basis at all in aliens or predators or avp lore and the staff allows it. I see the staff crack down on gerdy for farting on someone. I believe the staff is completely biased.


    Quote Originally Posted by lmwevil View Post
    nah the issue is that windhealer will staff complaint, player complaint etc literally anything against him.

    speaking as staff on another server, people who do this all the time become really tiring and it generates a large degree of apathy because nobody wants to deal with the fallout of angering the player.

    nothing against windhealer, it's just explaining why he isn't cracked down on like others
    First of all I take feedback very seriously and when someone gives me actual critique I take it in, when staff do something stupid I call it out just like staff will call it out when I do something stupid. Like when they tried to ban us from doing pre-brief boxing games on the false assumption it delayed drop, I, in the words of one staff member "chimped out", but it was also that "chimping out" which made staff repeal the rule and now we have actual boxing mechanics in the game, who would have thought? Should I have just laid down and taken it when I got banned from CL? This is a ridiculous comment and I don't know what your point is meant to be. I take critique from players too all the time, but when its the exact same trite being repeated like "windhealer is an unga CO he doesen't do his job!!!" I cringe because thats objectively false, I put more effort into my communication and CO planning than alot of others do, just because I do it while deployed instead of sitting in CIC. I used to die alot on the frontline for example and council came to me about it, I improved my playstyle and now I will rarely have myself die early on in a round, most of my CO rounds I end up winning, evacuating or if I do irrecoverably die Its during a moment when the marines get massacred in general, yet I still see the exact same people repeating the exact same trite for 8 months that "windhealer rolls CO to die in 10 minutes every round". Theirs no 'fallout to angering me', I really don't think staff are huddled up together whispering to eachover "Oh I dunno if we should punish that windhealer guy! He might make us retire!!!!", I think your vastly overblowing whatever level of influence you think I might have. I am cracked down upon just as much as any other player, and I guarantee you I have had more than my fair share of silly bans, like just like Gerdy got boinked for *farting I got banned for saying the phrase xendigo in a round, your just spreading misinformation about me and the staff at this point.
    Last edited by Dreven; 08-20-2020 at 09:07 PM.
    Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

  7. #67
    Senior Member Dreven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    311
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    At the end of the day it's a Humans v Bugs/Aliens/Xenos game, not Marine v Marine game. Hopefully the agent system will change it a bit, but we've been pushing the devs for shipside stuff is for roleplay, ground side stuff is for click beno sprites they go dead.
    Honestly I think this is a good way to go about it and im happy that the devs are implementing this update (it was only a few weeks ago I heard them say that they weren't gonna add any more shipside roles due to bloat), although I do think rounds need to go a bit longer than 1 hour to make it worth it, especially when the first ~25 minutes of every round is spent gearing up and doing briefing etc. Their should be atleast a minimum of an hour of proper fighting groundside, both to add weight to the actual round and to let the shipside agents play out their adventures. Im sorry but marine rushes used to be fun when it was genuinly difficult to do, a speedrun was something special that really only happened when xenos were super incompetent or marines pulled off some real lucky OB's (or a robust survivor killed half the hive beforehand), now its like every 2nd round is done within 20 minutes of landing and it just kinda sucks the fun out of the experience. RP on the ground isn't really possible because of the pace of battle, I think ground RP instead could be in the form of map objectives?
    Last edited by Dreven; 08-21-2020 at 12:03 AM.
    Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

  8. #68
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RP ship side sounds like it only further problem in other departments marines are already having to deal with CICs that fuck off and cringe RP while marines are dying while needing support, adding more roles to this is only going to put more stress on the deployed marines and over time develop a hatred among deploying marines for ship side crew that don't contribute to the overall fight and just waste slots in their eyes.

    If anything ship side roles need better ability better to visualize the field and better communicate with the field as currently CIC almost never has any situational awareness to a level that doesn't make sense for future combat same going with lot of other departments that often don't even really understand what the fuck is going on, with medical often not having a clue why patients will spike or dwindle, and Cargo having no clue often what marines want or need or if the FOB has been bloody over run.

    RP as it currently stands should stay as it is until stress from marine support systems can be relieved as any extra fucking random RP like the CL will only cause problems down the line I'd argue.

    Good example of simple improvement for CIC situational awareness would be a drone that could snap a large picture of the map maybe 1/6 as to give command an idea for how the situation looks as it's impossible to just walk around and learn it and the situation changes so rapidly.

    Informnation could be kept in a data base and CIC could choose how it's shared, for example CMO asks for image of the FOB, and XO could grand permission for his console to view it. Although hard to balance I argue simple quality of life improvements like this should be done before RP on ship is gone about as we don't add more stress on the marines.
    Last edited by Tranquil; 08-21-2020 at 12:55 AM.

  9. #69
    Senior Member Dreven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    311
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil View Post
    RP ship side sounds like it only further problem in other departments marines are already having to deal with CICs that fuck off and cringe RP while marines are dying while needing support, adding more roles to this is only going to put more stress on the deployed marines and over time develop a hatred among deploying marines for ship side crew that don't contribute to the overall fight and just waste slots in their eyes.

    If anything ship side roles need better ability better to visualize the field and better communicate with the field as currently CIC almost never has any situational awareness to a level that doesn't make sense for future combat same going with lot of other departments that often don't even really understand what the fuck is going on, with medical often not having a clue why patients will spike or dwindle, and Cargo having no clue often what marines want or need or if the FOB has been bloody over run.

    RP as it currently stands should stay as it is until stress from marine support systems can be relieved as any extra fucking random RP like the CL will only cause problems down the line I'd argue.

    Good example of simple improvement for CIC situational awareness would be a drone that could snap a large picture of the map maybe 1/6 as to give command an idea for how the situation looks as it's impossible to just walk around and learn it and the situation changes so rapidly.

    Informnation could be kept in a data base and CIC could choose how it's shared, for example CMO asks for image of the FOB, and XO could grand permission for his console to view it. Although hard to balance I argue simple quality of life improvements like this should be done before RP on ship is gone about as we don't add more stress on the marines.
    One idea I was to give SO's a drone that they can control from their overwatch console, like an eyebot from fallout, since being a CIC SO kinda sucks as you have nothing to do except talk through comms to marines who wont listen to you and having to rely on helmet cams to get an actual visualisation of the frontline is unreliable.
    Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

  10. #70
    Senior Member SilentMountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil View Post
    RP ship side sounds like it only further problem in other departments marines are already having to deal with CICs that fuck off and cringe RP while marines are dying while needing support, adding more roles to this is only going to put more stress on the deployed marines and over time develop a hatred among deploying marines for ship side crew that don't contribute to the overall fight and just waste slots in their eyes.

    If anything ship side roles need better ability better to visualize the field and better communicate with the field as currently CIC almost never has any situational awareness to a level that doesn't make sense for future combat same going with lot of other departments that often don't even really understand what the fuck is going on, with medical often not having a clue why patients will spike or dwindle, and Cargo having no clue often what marines want or need or if the FOB has been bloody over run.

    RP as it currently stands should stay as it is until stress from marine support systems can be relieved as any extra fucking random RP like the CL will only cause problems down the line I'd argue.

    Good example of simple improvement for CIC situational awareness would be a drone that could snap a large picture of the map maybe 1/6 as to give command an idea for how the situation looks as it's impossible to just walk around and learn it and the situation changes so rapidly.

    Informnation could be kept in a data base and CIC could choose how it's shared, for example CMO asks for image of the FOB, and XO could grand permission for his console to view it. Although hard to balance I argue simple quality of life improvements like this should be done before RP on ship is gone about as we don't add more stress on the marines.
    Problem is that marines being able to win on the ground should never be top priority, creating problems that people have to solve is how the game creates situation that you adapt and overcome. This tunnel vision that everyone should be on equal footing and what matters is which team takes the win is what has brought us to the sorry state of current matters.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •