Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Roleplay Standards aren't being enforced

Whitelisted Synthetic CallunaBorealis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post
    Players like this, who are currently in (supposed to be) high RP whitelisted positions don't know what is and isn't acceptable RP behavior..
    Mainly because right now, because it seems no one can agree on what the correct interpretation of terms like "reasonable" in Rule 2 on this server. So it wouldn't be fair to expect players to behave in the same way.

I am genuinely curious though about your opinion on what makes good roleplaying:

What do you consider to be acceptable RP behaviour on this server? Which players did you see in your time or now are consistently considered to be good role players and why?
    Shore leave approved for all my characters, enjoying the beaches of New Hawaii until further notice.

Plays as Heather Tanigawa (Intel and everything else), Erica Picotte (Medical) and Angela Ochoa (Engineering) in the USCM.

Aissa the Synthetic, a former waitress for a Cuban-themed restaurant franchise.

CB-** the Beno.

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Still reminding the fact that HEFA order is cannon in CM. Not everything is player's fault, not everything in the CM lore itself holds any background accountability.
    Don't forget the Jones' law.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just L View Post
    Hey dude don't bother talking to Mastershake, he's an idiot
    pot meet kettle.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    pot meet kettle.
    Yes, I roleplay as an idiot. I'm very good at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theres so many damn problems here, you guys touched on a lot of them in the thread but ill just sum some of them up.

-Rp rule enforcement is all over the place and leaves players wondering what isnt a big deal one day and will get them perma banned the next

-The game has run for probably over 40,000 rounds now. If rp standards are kept high no lore no matter how immersive can be new or fun after 10,000 iterations.

-This is spacestation 13 not arma, its always been about the capability to have creative out of the box fun

-Development has been designed around shorter rounds with less time to initial contact and forced ending, leaving far less room for rp.

For my own gripes, some cool systems are ruined by upper management.
    Mutinies need to be a simple ask request to the player if they want to join the mutiny, with the starters mod approved explanation as to why, then toggle them all as mutineers. Getting a list of people during a war without using coms is insane. Knowing if you lose the mutiny youll be executed, but if you win you have to revive and be nice to the people who where just shooting you in the head. Again this is insane. Being banned for perma killing during a mutiny, but if you lose youll be executed and perma killed. Again insane. You cant get more unrealistic and LRP then the set of rules regarding how mutinies go down.

As was touched on before, the community has begged for antags for a long time to give the mps a chance to have a real purpose besides soft griefing marines who just want to deploy. I have a strong feeling that what is a great idea will be utterly ruined by a strange and obscure set of rules that some how makes it worse then not having one at all.

Devs do voting on the server all the time to get feedback about mechanics and game play changes. Consider polling the playerbase about rule changes and seeing what people want before ramming it in and totally failing at your objective. In part because the majority of the mods and admins dont even want to enforce it or agree with it.

Food for though, people like options rather than ultimatums. The world doesnt have to be black and white where we lose one half of the player base either way. Theres good people on both sides.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antrixx View Post
    Theres so many damn problems here, you guys touched on a lot of them in the thread but ill just sum some of them up.

-Rp rule enforcement is all over the place and leaves players wondering what isnt a big deal one day and will get them perma banned the next

-The game has run for probably over 40,000 rounds now. If rp standards are kept high no lore no matter how immersive can be new or fun after 10,000 iterations.

-This is spacestation 13 not arma, its always been about the capability to have creative out of the box fun

-Development has been designed around shorter rounds with less time to initial contact and forced ending, leaving far less room for rp.

For my own gripes, some cool systems are ruined by upper management.
    Mutinies need to be a simple ask request to the player if they want to join the mutiny, with the starters mod approved explanation as to why, then toggle them all as mutineers. Getting a list of people during a war without using coms is insane. Knowing if you lose the mutiny youll be executed, but if you win you have to revive and be nice to the people who where just shooting you in the head. Again this is insane. Being banned for perma killing during a mutiny, but if you lose youll be executed and perma killed. Again insane. You cant get more unrealistic and LRP then the set of rules regarding how mutinies go down.

As was touched on before, the community has begged for antags for a long time to give the mps a chance to have a real purpose besides soft griefing marines who just want to deploy. I have a strong feeling that what is a great idea will be utterly ruined by a strange and obscure set of rules that some how makes it worse then not having one at all.

Devs do voting on the server all the time to get feedback about mechanics and game play changes. Consider polling the playerbase about rule changes and seeing what people want before ramming it in and totally failing at your objective. In part because the majority of the mods and admins dont even want to enforce it or agree with it.

Food for though, people like options rather than ultimatums. The world doesnt have to be black and white where we lose one half of the player base either way. Theres good people on both sides.
    mutinies been just updated with recent patch

devs aint slacking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They tried a new system which I think has serious potential. I think it should be streamlined even further but I like it. Then staff fucked it up and made it incredibly complicated and now its just gonna lead to a shit load of bans over rules that dont make any sense. Fuck they dont even make sense if your goal was to avoid a situation spiraling out of control. When all of the mps and captain are perma dead the mutiny leader takes control. Situation solved.

Its almost like its a game

Devs make choices that lead astray from the hosts idea of what rp should be.
    Staff take dev mechanics and ruin them with ass backwards ideas of implementing.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antrixx View Post
    They tried a new system which I think has serious potential. I think it should be streamlined even further but I like it. Then staff fucked it up and made it incredibly complicated and now its just gonna lead to a shit load of bans over rules that dont make any sense. Fuck they dont even make sense if your goal was to avoid a situation spiraling out of control. When all of the mps and captain are perma dead the mutiny leader takes control. Situation solved.

Its almost like its a game

Devs make choices that lead astray from the hosts idea of what rp should be.
    Staff take dev mechanics and ruin them with ass backwards ideas of implementing.
    Mutinies were more common even in 2019 but fell out of favor due to less of the "Carson type" COs running around, changes in meta(some maps have become harder to flank so it less likely to see mutinies), and biggest reason was becuase of abuse. Players typically mutinied to free metabuddies 9/10 and it was very annoying to admins as it caused round distrupution becuase someone wanted to free someone or wanted some HvH and promoted bad behavior vs MPs. Did it matter? It caused COs to tip tow around players to ensure mutinies didnt happen more or less giving free pardons to SGs, engies, medics, specs, and SLs

Synthetic Council Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was linked to thread and read the 10 pages that were there. So my thoughts...

The problems with enforcement of RP as I see it: The joke amongst medic mains is that we have time to RP as we wait for custom chems. If my character screamed every time their hand hurt or felt a sharp pain in their chest, marines would die. A medic choosing to RP, rather than focusing on the assembly line of patching, splinting, pilling, and defibbing are going to have more marines go perma. Our RP is saying 'fuck' when a marine goes from orange to skull, or their heart breaks on the last defib that would get their 600+ burn patient under 200 damage. Do I want to RP more? Absolutely! Do I think my RP is worth than another player being ghosted for the rest of the round? Hell no! I have played a 4.5 hour ice round, where I had to watch marines go perma, because my screams for medical supplies to be tossed into the DS was ignored for the past 30 minutes and I didn't have a single kit left. I went up, and shot out medical storage to grab every last supply that I could, toss it onto the DS. On the way down, I had time to scream that I shot out medical door, and they could arrest me after the OP. I passed out the supplies, and went back to patching marines. It was a hard day, it was a great round. Realize that enforcing RP would be difficult for all roles.

I have read a ton of whitelist applications, and they are amazing, even the ones that were denied. In most cases, you are talking about a group of people that are playing round after round to learn, get better, talk to people, studying guides and wiki, trying to make the game fun for people. Maybe defining fun would be a place to start: a source of enjoyment, amusement, or pleasure. For me, that is playing the game and talking to other players. I cannot think of a single person in this game that I would not find enjoyment in RP with. There are a ton of witty, funny, smart, and skillful players. Have you talked to a synth? Maybe in passing. They need to work REQ, because there is no RO or CT, and that lack of attachments may be the cause for a riot. There's two unmoved bluespace beakers on the chem dispensers, but maybe the synth should RP more. The synth application process is demonstrating an understanding of every support role in the game, as well as RP elements, so they can fulfill any necessary positions for the OP to move, and just maybe talk to the CL. The COs are the same, except they get to eat 'CIC bald!' when the OP goes to shit over a bad OB that may have been an XO, SO, SL, or some PFC giving bad coordinates, that's okay, the CO will be dealing the resulting OB mutiny while he is trying to BE a PO for evaccing 3 minutes early. I challenge everyone to play in CIC for at least 20 rounds straight, just to see the full breath of glory, madness, and futility. Whitelist people (and the applicates) are trying to make things work for the sake of fun.

Aliens (and Labyrinth) was recorded on a VHS that I watched to the point that the audio was pretty crackled and you could see a ton sprites dancing on the screen. For all of you that don't know what VHS sprites are, those are the white specks that you can see in the Stranger Things opening, it is caused by the magnetic particles that hold the data detaching from the plastic tape inside the VHS. The VHS is still at my parents' house. I have read comics, novels, and seen all the movies. 'In space no one can hear you scream.' 'This time it's war.' 'In space no one can hear you scream... But on Earth, they can.' What was that last one? Alien 3 was supposed to be set on Earth, it resulted in the Earth Hive comics and novels. Newt and Hicks lived, xenos are psychic, so are some people, some humans hear the Queen mother in their dreams and formed a religion. And that's how you get cultists for everyone that didn't know. It's not a silly admeme, it's in the crazy nest that is the Xenoverse lore! Did you know that with Prometheus, Predator is officially separate canon once again? They were separate, and the prop guys on Predator 2 though it would be funny to a xeno skull in the trophy case. Did you know Bladerunner and Soldier are now canon? The holdout pistol may sorta look like Decker's replicant-murdering revolver, but sadly, it does not hit like it. I can ramble about lore. There is a ton, and I understand there is some copy-write issues. Lore team, I have no clue who you are, but thank you for dealing with that mess!

No rules and MPs are a hunted species? Though my inner deltard screams 'YES!', the medic in me knows I will try to revive them. Do not ask your overseers to do what you can do yourself! 'This person is upsetting my mil-sim experience, I need to ahelp this immediately!' So kill the fun of another because they have a paper hat, and you wanted a crisp salute? No, just ignore them. I played Rebecca Sterling, that medic that yells 'Hiya!' and has green hair. Have you asked why her hair is green? She's naturally blonde, but WY insists the copper level in the potable water from the mining colony on Luna, near the Sea of Tranquility, is at acceptable levels. People get sick from copper toxicity. Copper dyes your hair green. Her green hair reminds her of home. Rebecca HATES WY. She yells most of the time, because she grew up in a family of miners, her parents have hearing problems caused by their work. Her 'friend' growing up was a old Working Joe that was damaged, and she got interested in machines and medical, because she wanted to make Joe better! Did you know she talks to Joe synths as they mop, even they don't speak? Still does it she sees one, and greets every synth warmly, because Rebecca considers synths people. Do I RP my character?

Did you know I was in the US army for 6 six years? Because I was! Do you know who is in the military? The average age isn't the high, it's 20 to 21. Basically, a bunch of wild teenagers that are childish, stupid, emotional, and crazy. They give us guns. I threw a live grenade, and I grinned like it was the 4th of July. My MOS was 31S in 2000 to 2006, then it turned to 25S, because some general felt it was important to change the numbers assigned to communication. Did I tell you about the soldier that got a medal for making a humvee shiny? It is in the discord. Coming back from the bar, a soldier decided he was too drunk to talk to the MPs at the gate, so he ran a mile through the woods, threw his jacket on the barbwire, climbed, and ran through the post general's yard back to barracks. Seriously, we were all drunk (and lethally so on the weekend), but he was the only one that felt the need to do that. He could have been shot. We all thought it was hilarious. Do I think there is anything that delta does never happens in the military? Nope.

Why does it need to be this OR that? I think everyone has their own ideas, and we're not sure who is right, besides me! So let's try something. Try something different:

I propose a moderator event that is an RP event. Survivors may ahelp and respawn, so can xenos. Take turns being queen! Xeno training! (GASP!) Ice is nice! Lower level is survivor versus xeno land (and preds too)! Upper is survivor RP land! Almayer! We are all R&R and training! Deltards and MPs, you play cops and robbers! REQ train, ordering crayons is optional! Engineers build in hanger, JTAC people can train with mortar and CAS. Let all the whitelisted synths and COs log in too, let them RP or allow soldiers to ask Juro when he decides a bayonet charge is militarially fessible, or why Windhealer hates cadehuggers and POs. Just to try, and ask for feedback. Just fun and RP for the sake of trying it, and finding if we're actually split into three categories for RP, but I feel like people are all pretty much the same and they have different moods.
    Last edited by FrogZeke; 08-23-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrogZeke View Post
    I propose a moderator event that is an RP event. Survivors may ahelp and respawn, so can xenos. Take turns being queen! Xeno training! (GASP!) Ice is nice! Lower level is survivor versus xeno land (and preds too)! Upper is survivor RP land! Almayer! We are all R&R and training! Deltards and MPs, you play cops and robbers! REQ train, ordering crayons is optional! Engineers build in hanger, JTAC people can train with mortar and CAS. Let all the whitelisted synths and COs log in too, let them RP or allow soldiers to ask Juro when he decides a bayonet charge is militarially fessible, or why Windhealer hates cadehuggers and POs. Just to try, and ask for feedback. Just fun and RP for the sake of trying it, and finding if we're actually split into three categories for RP, but I bet people are all pretty much the same and they have different moods.
    That definitely sounds like a good idea. Especially since RP rounds either never happen or I somehow manage to miss them constantly. Probably the former. Also ice is, in fact, quite nice.
    Viktor Kovalevsky
    Martin Dark

02.10.20 - mentor