Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Roleplay Standards aren't being enforced

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feweh is mostly right.

IMO, there is still somewhat of an inconsistency in enforcing RP amongst the staff and the heads. While I think we have made some big strides as of late, I don't think we're there yet. In order to get to the level of enforcement that is desired amongst me, Feweh and seemingly many others, the heads are going to need to take an all or nothing approach. This focus will likely autoclave some of the more well known LRP'ers characters, but I think it's for the best.

CM's foundation is that of a pseudo mil-sim RPG. Should we gut and forsake this foundation, then CM is no longer CM.

Edit: There's also the matter of the dev side of things. Just after you left Feweh, the development side of things got stretched and twisted towards other genres, and a lot of the focus on RP was lost or forgotten about. The fact that a lot of community members are still talking about wanting more RP, even after a year or more of a hard push towards TDM, shows that we cannot escape our roots.

You embrace and utilize those things to which you built your foundation on.
    Last edited by RobBrown4PM; 08-18-2020 at 06:01 PM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Windhealer’s days are numbered...

I love be honest even LRP would an improvement, for Christ sake we have aliens literally use straight OOC and netspeak.

I rather have lrp as long as it was RPed correctly. There been one too many people that will be on your ass for being an ‘RPEr” that talks instead of shooting at ayys, power gaming is the name of the game at times and highly competitive atmosphere doesn’t help foster RP. At least when you had long sieges where aliens could win by capturing you could have RP and winning was about the fun along the way not the victory itself.

What am trying to say is buff capturing plz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
    Edit: There's also the matter of the dev side of things. Just after you left Feweh, the development side of things got stretched and twisted towards other genres, and a lot of the focus on RP was lost or forgotten about.
    I don't believe the current Dev team or the leadership on the Dev team know how to develop content that promotes RP.
    This, coupled with the fact that staff enforcement disappeared almost completely tanked the level of RP on CM.

But as I've said, this isn't a bad thing.

Just whats the point in maintaining RP if the staff don't enforce it consistently and the Dev team doesn't develop to promote it?
    Last edited by Fewher; 08-18-2020 at 07:26 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dev team isn't there to cater to the needs of RPers they just provide the tools and you do something with them. Mechanically enforcing RP is retarded.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll kill the gimmicks right now, and then all we will hear is "WAHH I COULDNT DO FIGHT CLUBS THIS ISNT FAIR."
    I don't want to kill actual roleplay, but at the same time, staff get threatened with a report because we wouldn't let the CL declare cargo a sovereign nation and rise up against the USCM. We get threatened to be reported cause a Queen makes shitpost annoucements when we say knock it off.

The majority of this community are entitled and feel they shouldn't be punished, and I'm sick of it.

I'm all for enforcing the standards, hell I was part of the rule re-write, if mods/admins aren't enforcing them, ill bring it up to forest/nanu
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    I'll kill the gimmicks right now, and then all we will hear is "WAHH I COULDNT DO FIGHT CLUBS THIS ISNT FAIR."
    I don't want to kill actual roleplay, but at the same time, staff get threatened with a report because we wouldn't let the CL declare cargo a sovereign nation and rise up against the USCM. We get threatened to be reported cause a Queen makes shitpost annoucements when we say knock it off.

The majority of this community are entitled and feel they shouldn't be punished, and I'm sick of it.

I'm all for enforcing the standards, hell I was part of the rule re-write, if mods/admins aren't enforcing them, ill bring it up to forest/nanu
    There exists a number of people on this server who run gimmicks that are contrary to the spirit of the lore, setting and characters to which we know and love. You're speaking of those people.

There's needs to be a re-alignment of what is and what is not within the spirit of the above when it comes to RP. This shouldn't mean though that I can't roleplay outside the box as long as it within the spirit.

If I create a CO character and roleplay them as a Tsar and constantly refer to my SO's as the "dvoryanstvo" and my enlisted personnel well below me my "gosudarstvennye krestiane", that is what's called low hanging fruit and is well outside the spirit of the setting, lore and characters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    Which is the oddest problem given that you almost make this sound like a top-tier issue.
    What I mean by this is the very people who are in-charge aren't onboard with supporting their own staffs decision to enforce RP.
    So essentially low-tiered staff (mods, mentors, admins) are afraid to enforce RP standards as they believe their "bosses" won't have their backs when push comes to shove.

Theres been a command shuffle in recent weeks and you're clearly onboard with stomping out low-rp.
    So hopefully this can move down the chain of command and actually get implemented.

There is no way half street with this, you either balls deep enforce tougher RP or you abandon RP altogether.
    The hall-way enforcement that's been going on isn't working and hasn't worked.

Quote Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
    There exists a number of people on this server who run gimmicks that are contrary to the spirit of the lore, setting and characters to which we know and love. You're speaking of those people.
    This is an interesting point, there are a select few characters every round that I see (i don't even play a lot) constantly running the same shitty gimmick or character bullshit.
    These people need to be weeded out, banned or completely reformed.
    Last edited by Fewher; 08-18-2020 at 10:04 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the problem with "MRP".

LRP is pretty clear. Don't roleplay. Just click things until they go horizontal. HRP has very clear guidelines of what is and isn't acceptable, in a lot of cases has mechanics in place to support that, and they are enforced consistently and in line with the rules. (at least in theory and in a good environment)

MRP is murky, especially considering our only actual written rules seems to be "be mentally stable" and "do your job". Under those two rules, under strict interpretation, half the server (myself included) could get smacked for LRP. I mean, Delta has been known to mutiny or desert en masse if they get assigned to the FOB. No sane marine doing their job would ever abandon their landing zone, medical site, and resupply depot just because they want to shoot baddies.

I get it, too many RP rules get in the way of clicking on aliens until they go horizontal, but too few rules and we may as well not have RP at all. Just go Corp Merc and let people click baddies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urytion View Post
    I get it, too many RP rules get in the way of clicking on aliens until they go horizontal, but too few rules and we may as well not have RP at all. Just go Corp Merc and let people click baddies.
    Problem with that is that click simulator is bad gameplay and BYOND is even worse at running click simulator. People that want to experience that can go play some of the other TDM servers with no pesky RP rules to get in the way of them and a broken mouse.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently returned to CM after an extended break and the quality of roleplay has dropped to a level which I am honestly surprised at.

I shan't name names, however, I attended a briefing and saw the following -

Two LTs willingly walk in to a flames that a Charlie SL was firing in briefing over and over again.

One of the LTs began to scream "Allah" during his burning.

Charlie SL proceeded to walk in to his own flame and kill himself, resulting in him being dead in briefing and missing first drop.

For the reference, these three people were not even remotely new to the server and were infact "veterans". They know better and only do this because they know its not enforced.
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler: