User Tag List

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Roleplay Standards aren't being enforced

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being 100% honest. I just have no fucking clue what I can and cannot enforce. If I decide 'Hey stop doing this silly behavior' there's a 50/50 shot I get reported/into a lengthy argument with the player about roleplay or another staff member who outranks me tells me to drop it and stop bothering the aforementioned player.

These are in the few instances where I think I have a case. Otherwise I stare helplessly as marines do bizarre stuff and I think 'Well I could feasibly see privates doing this but I really think it's starting to cross a line' but I can't say anything because I know someone's gonna start shit over it and I don't have any clear cut rules to back me up so I just avoid the headache. Mods unironically have so little authority to enforce roleplay at their discretion that we're petrified to do so. We're the lowest ranking staff and even as an Smod I have no more authority than a regular mod if there's an admin on because I have to defer to them in the few instances I would get to exercise some autonomy.

People can say stuff like 'reasonable character' and that gives me a vague idea of who I can smack but it's not anything concrete and it's not that it doesn't let us identify people who are being issues but it doesn't give us any solid backing if there's pushback to our decision or disagreement from other staff present, because if they see you bwoinking and noting and banning for RP issues they don't see as an issue you better believe it's gonna start a discussion that's just not worth the headache.

Whitelisted Synthetic CallunaBorealis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be frank, I don't see why players running "gimmicks" aren't considered MRP. I mean if this was a HRP server, then probably it depends because some HRP stations like Desert Rose have codified a lot of the rules of what are and what are not acceptable as a character in game.

I believe as long as you have a reason why you are doing anything within the role you are occupying, and if it is not breaking server rules and not disempowering other players, I don't see any issue why "gimmicks" shouldn't be allowed. If players aren't happy with it, why not in the character's headspace, confront the character performing the absurd action and see if they have a good reason to do what they are doing. And there are always MPs to stop them on the grounds of ML, SOP or even insanity. Sure there are some powertrippers as MPs, but this can be solved by punishing power-tripping behaviour via SOP or appeals and ahelps.

For example, like literally maybe the CL is pissed that the marines are literally OBing and tearing up the colony worth billions in company property, they declare their office a microstate as a protest for the negligent actions for the marines. I think it creates some interesting role play scenarios (like XO being pissed off, and starts sending MPs to arrest the CL etc), and creates some conflict within the marines.1

Or maybe that your character is discovering their ancestry wiped out by modernisation hundreds of years ago, and have adopted the dress, speaking style and vocabulary of their ancestors as a statement to remind themselves of their roots.

I think more players should use the Character Dossiers section in the forums where players can flesh out their character so other people will at least know how they're gonna play the character without accusations of LRP.

Where I think the line should be drawn is when the player is breaking server rules, or starting to use netspeak, trolling and so on (specific words like "lol" , "chungus", or emojis).

Maybe you might argue that the personality, speech or actions of certain marines are too unrealistic, but these so called absurd moments can happen in reality, like

While in real life such gimmicks and personalities are rather uncommon, but it wouldn't be fair to call them unrealistic.

Personally, I think that players that spend less effort on deciding what certain actions are LRP or not in-game and be more willing to improv will likely enjoy their interactions more with others in game.

If players want a stronger roleplay environment, such players should lead by example and start playing more consistent characters within the round itself instead of trying to police the personalities and gimmicks of other players OOC you don't like who actually do play them consistently.

Update:

1 I personally don't think this is good roleplay because in my experience it's hard to come to that point as a CL as my own characters, and won't do it myself to be honest. But in my haste to try and provide an example how such gimmicks done by other players may be brought in as long as it is consistent within the lore and setting, I neglected to mention that the CL should always consult on W-Y via fax first and get their approval before proceeding to do whatever gimmick they have in mind, because it can be perceived and argued as self-antagging. Without this essential step, a player literally doing this can get a ban or role ban for this.
    Last edited by CallunaBorealis; 08-23-2020 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Add disclaimer and update to CL example
    Shore leave approved for all my characters, enjoying the beaches of New Hawaii until further notice.

Plays as Heather Tanigawa (Intel and everything else), Erica Picotte (Medical) and Angela Ochoa (Engineering) in the USCM.

Aissa the Synthetic, a former waitress for a Cuban-themed restaurant franchise.

CB-** the Beno.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CallunaBorealis View Post
    I believe as long as you have a reason why you are doing anything within the role you are occupying, and if it is not breaking server rules and not disempowering other players, I don't see any issue why "gimmicks" shouldn't be allowed.

Or maybe that your character is discovering their ancestry wiped out by modernisation hundreds of years ago, and have adopted the dress, speaking style and vocabulary of their ancestors as a statement to remind themselves of their roots.

Where I think the line should be drawn is when the player is breaking server rules, or starting to use netspeak, trolling and so on (specific words like "lol" , "chungus", or emojis).
    My characters "l33t g4m3r" ancestors were wiped out and he wants to honor them by being the most "l33t g4m3r" he can possibly be. So he runs around trolling, using netspeak and being generally epic. If you dont like it maybe you should provide a consitently roleplayed character and improve the RP yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    My characters "l33t g4m3r" ancestors were wiped out and he wants to honor them by being the most "l33t g4m3r" he can possibly be. So he runs around trolling, using netspeak and being generally epic. If you dont like it maybe you should provide a consitently roleplayed character and improve the RP yourself.
    Ehh l33t g4m3r is not even pronouncable and is widely considered as leetspeak, so it shouldn't be allowed as I mentioned and you have quoted, so that's where I will draw the line too as part of netspeak
    Shore leave approved for all my characters, enjoying the beaches of New Hawaii until further notice.

Plays as Heather Tanigawa (Intel and everything else), Erica Picotte (Medical) and Angela Ochoa (Engineering) in the USCM.

CB-** the Beno.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ehh l33t g4m3r is not even pronouncable and is widely considered as leetspeak, so it shouldn't be allowed as I mentioned and you have quoted, so that's where I will draw the line too as part of netspeak
    sounds like a personal problem, you should deal with it instead of enforcing it ooc on me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like a personal problem, you should deal with it instead of enforcing it ooc on me
    dude you literally didn't even bother to acknowledge when netspeak is involved, that's where i think the line should be drawn.

but sure, even so, sure i'll call the MPs and persuade the CMO to declare your character insane then in game, what's so wrong with that?

CB-** the Beno.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dude you literally didn't even bother to acknowledge when netspeak is involved, that's where i think the line should be drawn.

but sure, even so, sure i'll call the MPs and persuade the CMO to declare your character insane then in game, what's so wrong with that?
    why should netspeak be the line? I hear people use netspeak every day. Even people who dont play games on the internet use netspeak because they hear other people use netspeak.

Hint: the reason is cause we have rules for policing roleplay and dont just let me do shit willy nilly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why should netspeak be the line? I hear people use netspeak every day. Even people who dont play games on the internet use netspeak because they hear other people use netspeak.

Hint: the reason is cause we have rules for policing roleplay and dont just let me do shit willy nilly.
    Well, netspeak doesn't exist in the lore and setting of the game I believe. If netspeak exists in that universe, then sure why not.

Enforcing RP is pretty much impossible when there aren't clear rules on what is acceptable in terms of role play here, so I'm suggesting that that it should be handled in game for now and players try to make the best of it, and I sincerely mean for people to play a character and show to other people what they think MRP should be like, and if it's not liked by others they will most likely tell you in game between characters.

Try to address the absurdity in game as the character before rejecting it outright as LRP. Also, I'm trying to work out a line of reasoning how to argue for the existence of player-led gimmicks that players do enjoy that should be kept without harming the lore and setting. Otherwise, as mentioned by others, rounds will get rather stale doing the same things over and over again.

CB-** the Beno.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For example, like literally maybe the CL is pissed that the marines are literally OBing and tearing up the colony worth billions in company property, they declare their office a microstate as a protest for the negligent actions for the marines. I think it creates some interesting role play scenarios (like XO being pissed off, and starts sending MPs to arrest the CL etc), and creates some conflict within the marines.
    This is the problem right here.
    Players like this, who are currently in (supposed to be) high RP whitelisted positions don't know what is and isn't acceptable RP behavior.

Creating a microstate as a CL on a military vessel isn't roleplay, it's a gimmick that holds no lore/background accountability.

I genuinely believe that the people who should be leading as example for RP standards ie; Whitelisted positions, are some of the worst offenders for RP Standards currently.
    How CM can maintain a whitelist and a handful of the players on that whitelist can't RP and don't know the standards is a huge problem.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post
    This is the problem right here.
    Players like this, who are currently in (supposed to be) high RP whitelisted positions don't know what is and isn't acceptable RP behavior.

Creating a microstate as a CL on a military vessel isn't roleplay, it's a gimmick that holds no lore/background accountability.

I genuinely believe that the people who should be leading as example for RP standards ie; Whitelisted positions, are some of the worst offenders for RP Standards currently.
    How CM can maintain a whitelist and a handful of the players on that whitelist can't RP and don't know the standards is a huge problem.
    Still reminding the fact that HEFA order is cannon in CM. Not everything is player's fault, not everything in the CM lore itself holds any background accountability.