User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remove all light sources to reduce lag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remove all light sources to reduce lag

This is going to be a controversial suggestion.

I think CM should ditch any kind of lighting system due to the high pop that it handles. Make it so that every tile is lightup automatically. BYOND doesn't let clientside players handle lighting (like most multiplayer games do) and it puts a burden on the server to run the calculations for every player. Lighting itself for this game is quite pointless. You can already see xeno sprites moving in darkness and the armor and rail flashlights already lightup most of the view. The only thing that lighting really effects is sniper guns but boilers already glow so again this is a moot point.

Shouldn't be too hard to implement and a trial run to see how much this affects lag would be interesting. I think most players would be willing to sacrifice this feature so that the game runs a lot smoother.

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. Sorry bud.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont like this idea.. sory.

It true lag is the enemy, but we cannot remoove important game features just for the sake of lag. lag must be remooved witout remooving what make this game fun.
    The lighting is too important in this game. xeno break light, murheens flare and replace broken light... the 'lighting game' is a big part of the map control game and its too important to remoove.

lighting also contribute to the immersion. it create a great ambiance.

Whitelisted Synthetic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Removing lighting basically makes this more TDM. No thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningMetal View Post
    It true lag is the enemy, but we cannot remoove important game features just for the sake of lag. lag must be remooved witout remooving what make this game fun.
    The lighting is too important in this game.
    Lighting doesn't really offer much strategic value. Marines armor lighting already provides plenty of illumination to see far enough to shoot. The only part of CM where lighting affects gameplay is maybe CAS. Snipers, SGs, and Scouts have night vision and boilers are basically walking lighthouses. Even in total darkness you can see the xeno sprites moving between tiles.

Lighting is purely cosmetic.

xeno break light, murheens flare and replace broken light... the 'lighting game' is a big part of the map control game and its too important to remoove.
    It's not. Marines don't need to toss down flares to see, they have the light on their armor which many use to hunt xenos without a problem. Most xenos ignore breaking lights or floodlights since it's a waste of time due to marines being able to see far enough to shoot their guns without them.

lighting also contribute to the immersion. it create a great ambiance.
    I agree that lighting contributes a great deal to immersion and ambiance. However this is good for a more horror/survival server with a much smaller population than CM has. (think Alien Isolation) The problem is that every marine has a roaming light source that needs to be updated every tick each time they move. With +100 marines that is a lot of processing that needs to be done by the server for a game mechanic that is fluff. If removing lighting entirely speeds up the game by 50% or 200% would it be worth it? I'd say yes. But if the boost is only something really minor like 1%-10% then I'd say keep it.

I think there is also a possibility of a compromise but it would affect game balance. You would need to remove roaming light sources and I think it would change a lot of how CM is played currently. That means, no more shoulder lamps on armor, no more rail flashlights, etc. The only source of lighting can be flares, buildings, fire, and floodlights. This would make darkness a lot more dangerous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only game balance it would remove is xenos being able to merc and drag corpses into a dark corner, instead of 50 miles away. Or lurkers sitting still in darkness with NV turned off.

You guys are really overestimating how important lighting is in CM. I honestly don't even bother using non-CAS flares. It's a waste of my time and brainpower when 99% of the fighting and shooting happens within a 3-4 tile radius of your avatar. Though yes, having extra vision gives you more room for decision making, it's honestly not all that big of an issue.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    devs ruined lighting a while ago. it used to actually be dark so you could sneak around as xeno. There was a bug that if you clicked on a dark square it would fire in random directions and devs couldnt figure it out so they just ruined lighting instead.

Dev Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    devs ruined lighting a while ago. it used to actually be dark so you could sneak around as xeno. There was a bug that if you clicked on a dark square it would fire in random directions and devs couldnt figure it out so they just ruined lighting instead.
    It would fire bottom left, not randomly.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a better idea what if we moved the server host to australia?

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreven View Post
    I have a better idea what if we moved the server host to australia?
    No, it needs to be moved to Montenegro.
    Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!