1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    theres already enough command blamers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A core piece of the game is poor comms and that leads to even more blaming of command.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please give your nazi commander a 5 star yelp review. This will look good at my promotion ceremony!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theoretically speaking, in a perfect world, a round result should not matter, whether the CO/Queen won or lost wouldnt matter, the only thing that should in a RP server is the quality of interactions between players, I would rate a losing CO that got steamrolled 5/5 if they roleplayed it very well, if they screamed, panicked, retreated and shit their pants in a convincing way, some good RPers lose on purpose sometimes like Bill Carson, which often roleplays as a coward and selfish commander who wouldnt think twice about sacrificing his marines to save himself. that being said, pvp is a huge part of this server, its not like other ss13 servers, we gotta acknowledge that, but most players seem to favor it over RPing and you dont want to encourage that with some muh valid hunting tier list system, the server is still recovering from the disaster that was K/D ratio stats.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i unno. necro posting.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    place your hands onto your eyes.

then make a funnel.

that is your average marine player.

remove one hand to open one of your eyes.

this is your average command player.

now remove both hands to see clearly.

this is a good command player.

based on this analogy, most marines have literally only 10% knowledge of the battlefield; they know their gun shoots, they know it hurts, and sometimes they know to chase crit xenos. thats about it.

they have no idea about the supply situation, the location of the xenos at large, possible and currently happening flanks, prime flanking positions that could be made by either side, where an OB could be placed for maximum effect, where CAS or mortar can be placed for maximum effect.

the list of things a good command player knows and utilizes goes on and on, and they have to know this usually for a split second before it happens, predicting xenos every move at least 5 minutes before it happens, and then taking that time to find out a way to convince ungas that bad shits about to happen (which usually takes 5-10 minutes depending on the ungas situation and whether they are listening or not)

hence the average player cannot ever understand if command is "doing bad" or not as they do not have the full picture nor do they even have a UNDERSTANDING of how to interpret the full picture and scope of "good" and "bad" command

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most marines will blame command whether it's their fault or not.

"Command lost us this operation!"
    "Mate, there's been no one in CIC this entire OP"
    "Oh"

Or the classic blame command when you lose, but when you win, you say that you didn't need command.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm the best Queen regardless, all the time, and it's never my fault.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm best xo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main salt for command and CO's (CIC is bad I'm blaming anyone in CIC) comes from the lack of information.
    Announcements such as "the front is east" and "queen on delta" are fucking useless to me as a player;
    Ok so the fronts east, How many squads are there? How many xenos? Are we getting our asses kicked? Are the xenos dug in? Are we exposed?
    "Fronts at east caves entrance, Charlie and delta pushing choke, boiler and some T3s are holding. Queen still hasn't been spotted." Is a lot more informative It tells me that so far we've not breached the choke, A good number of the hives xenos and more importantly T3s are holding that choke and that the queen is yet to appear at the fronts. From this and being on the ground I can start to make better decisions on how to act as a Squad leader or marine. I could try to flank them from sand temple since I know we're still fighting at the cave entrance and not the caves proper and I should be alert for a potential flank or appearance of the queen.

For queen on delta, this is equally as useless. Where the fucks delta? I've not got a tac map or a tracker and even though I know delta has been ordered to check out crashed ship during the brief I have no idea if they are still there. Is it just the queen or am I about to lead my squad into a fuck tonne of xenos too? "Queen at south central ring on delta SL, several T3's and T2's are also there" or "Multiple/Number xenos with her" I now know a lot more from this, Queens not alone, deltas getting fucked at central ring and that the xenos I'm currently engaging at LZ2 are far from the rest of the hive.

So to summarise, main gripe with todays CIC/CO's is the complete lack of effort on there part to better inform the marines about the current situation, I don't give two shits about your RP announcements that show off your characters gimmick if said announcements are a complete waste of my time, containing no information and as such are not worth reading. Don't get me wrong here I do want commanders to show off and express their gimmicks and shit but that shouldn't come at the cost of being competent at the role. As well as the rate at which these announcements come out, being told "queen on delta" 5 minutes after the squads already been wiped is fucking dogshit commanding. Its frustrating as a marine when you're carrying out orders unaware of how much the situation has changed due to commands lack of effort to inform you.
    How to improve is simple, make more informative announcements. As an overwatch start using the squad message tool, Its fucking noticeable BIG BLUE text that also makes a noise. And also as SO/OW callout any xenos you see when watching cameras. Notably call out T2's like lurkers and warriors and T3's all the while radioing this back onto command comms. that way other SO's/SL's can see it.

I'm not going to list or rate any CO's cause shit lists are shit and achieve nothing however I will say that the CO I most enjoy serving under today is Swagile which is in large part due to the amount of effort they put into coordinating and informing the marines of what exactly is going on. Of course as a marine we're also to blame, tunnel vision and a lack of care to whatever those nerds in the CIC are saying leads to us doing stupid and suicidal things.