0 Thread(s)

Basedoperator - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information
    Byond ID?
    Basedoperator

Player Name You Use Most?
    Daniel Morgan

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    N/A

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC-06

What is your discord username and handle?
    johnathan#0228

Basic Questions & Story
    What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The Commanding Officer's positional value aboard the ship and during the game can be divided between accomplishing two goals, making the round enjoyable for those who play in it, and hopefully ensuring a victory for his battalion. A round as CO should be approached as a balance of these two values. The CO should hopefully experiment within reason to improve the experience, but not intentionally in a way that would inherently compromise marine victory or ruin the round for the people involved.

For example, choosing alternative LZs and drawing up unconventional plans for success (even if they do not work out) is a positive, but meta-grudging certain squads and giving them suicidal orders - or orders the CO knows they won't follow, ensuring a poor experience for those involved, should be avoided, as well as hive-rushing for a meta marine major. Ensuring a fun, interesting, and entertaining round for both sides is essential. The rounds I have enjoyed most have personally been ones with an adaptive and courageous CO/Queen, with evolving flanks and strategies that break the mold.

The actual work of the captain itself is varying but comes down to the simple principle: you lead the entire marine force. Whether you plan on sitting inside the CIC or leading the charge you are responsible for the coordination, communication, and delegation of not only your four squads, but every single shipside department. The job lies on your shoulders to lead the direction of the Almayer. Sometimes this may involve micromanaging (especially on lowpop), and those who play command should be prepared to give advice, be informed, and make decisions, as the person who calls the shots you must have knowledge of the positions those below you occupy.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    I want to be a CO because I enjoy participating in the role of leadership and everything that comes with it when playing CM or SS13 in general. There's nothing more satisfying than leading the marines into a victory and nothing more intriguing than learning from your defeats. I also want to be a CO because I would like to organize and execute rounds for the marines that I think they would enjoy.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    I think there are a few qualities that I can contribute if I am whitelisted. I believe I approach CIC in a balanced and communicative manner, constantly listening to the marines and the departments as well as coordinating via announcements objectives and locations of enemies of interest. I enact within reason alternative plans, but do not stray into the realm of gimmickry. I also am usually active (despite my timezone) in hours where command staff is skeleton crew or absent, frequently playing as a solo XO and coordinating victory.

How will your Commanding Officer behave? Describe their character.
    As a captain I will behave pro-actively and decisively, but ultimately I will try to play in a way that leads to an enjoyable experience without compromising victory.

I understand that playing command will lead to the blame of things failing that are out of your control being pinned on you, and I think it's important that you don't sour your image with the marines even more with hasty PBing and detaining, or other spiteful actions. As CO when I play I will make sure that all aspects of the operation are running to the best of their ability, not necessarily direct micromanagement of every department but making sure those participating in their jobs are informed of the situation and carrying out orders.

I value communication, coordination, and information. I will command in a way that keeps everyone on the same page.

Name and briefly describe your Commanding Officer's own ship.
    -

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    Experience
    How experienced are you with the position of a Squad Leader (SL)?
    I play as a (preferably Charlie) SL quite a bit, and have good experience in leading the groundside without dying like most SLs do.

How experienced are you with the position of a Staff Officer (SO)?
    I have played SO infrequently in the past month, but often previously. I am experienced with the fundamentals and importance of the role.

How experienced are you with the position of a Department Head?
    I have played RO constantly and know Req like the back of my hand. I have played CMP a bit in the past month, and I have played CE and CMO occasionally in the past.

How experienced are you with the position of the Executive Officer (XO)?
    Very. I have played XO frequently in the past 2 months, especially on lowpop hours.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)?
    I admittedly have not played MP on a dedicated level until the past month or two, but in the time leading up to this application I have gone out of my way to do so despite previously thinking it to be not my cup of tea, to familiarize myself with Marine Law and the SOP. I have made a point to try and learn and practice it to the best of my ability.

Scenarios
    When do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used? List some examples of scenarios in which a battlefield execution would be correctly used.
    The entire concept of a battlefield execution rests on the foundation that you will be taking someone out of playing the round (an affair that could last an hour or maybe even four) permanently without appeal at your discretion.

This means that the battlefield execution should only be used in scenarios where it is absolutely necessary, such as an immediate lethal major threat to the safety of yourself, your men, and the operation, and one that cannot be handled by MPs or through standard execution protocol without further jeopardy and harm.

For example, a marine that has intentionally undermined your command, hinting at a willingness to kill/mutiny who has suddenly attempted to shoot at you.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner? What are some examples of crimes you would pardon, and those you would not?
    I believe the pardon is a tool a CO should use if the detainment of an individual is an operational detriment in their eyes. A pardon should weigh the consequence of releasing this person and the responsibility the CO will carry due to this, compared to the value this person shares to this operation.

For example, a smartgunner breaks into another squad req because it contains an SG drum that he cannot obtain because req is closed and his squad req was unvended. His value to the operation is important and the crime committed was done so to further his assistance in the operation. The risk of him committing any heinous acts on being released instead of serving his time is also low.

A crime I would not pardon would be a marine charged with assault with a deadly weapon after PBing another marine during a verbal altercation that the other marine had started. This would prove that the perpetrator would be a possible threat to the operation, due to his escalating nature, and a potential threat that outweighs his value.

It is illegal to pardon capital crimes without the express permission of HC.

What is your routine after starting the round as either a Staff Officer or Executive Officer? Assume you joined round-start and are inside your quarters.
    My routine as XO follows,

I leave my quarters and, if aCO, immediately announce a brief time, authorize cargo points, and delegate the landing zone. After that, I go over to the crew manifest console and see what positions are filled and not filled, adjusting my round-start behavior accordingly, such as setting aSLs and compensating for a lack of POs, MPs, RO/CTs, etc. If there is a CO present I greet them and ask them what they would like regarding those judgements if they haven't done it themselves already.

After that, I immediately make my way to the AA and OB, informing the CO of their choices if one is present. Once that is set I either send a SO or myself to the medbay to retrieve medhuds for the CIC. If any departments need pre-deployment assistance or manning, I will take care of that (such as sending a synth to run req).

Once briefing comes and the CIC is squared away I will arrive at briefing and if the CO is absent, give my plan in a timely manner. After briefing I will announce the drop-time and squad orders again and inform the SOs to set those orders on the squad comms.

How would you handle insubordinate departments? State what you would do for each department if they were insubordinate.
    If I were dealing with an insubordinate command (SO, XO) I would implore them to understand that as CO my word is final, and that a divided and conflicted command is extremely harmful to the success of an operation. However, those who seek to play command roles should be hopefully more knowledgeable and reasonable than the average marine due to playing such an essential role, so my patience would be shorter and I would be less lenient than if I were dealing with other departments. However, I would respect their criticisms and advice if they were discussed in an appropriate manner, instead of contradicting my final word. If dealing with miscellaneous command roles such as the PO and VC, which can make or break operations, I will also be more directly involved and strict in those matters.

Medical, being civilians, aren't necessarily under my total military jurisdiction as a CO, but never-the-less must obey marine law. Usually they should be left to their own devices under the watch and control of the CMO, but if necessary I will order the MPs to take action if situation requires. If necessary especially on skeleton crew, if a synthetic is available I would assign them to medical operations.

Requisitions as I have noticed is where a lot of new players wishing to learn more ship-side roles end up, usually CTs but occasionally ROs (especially due to the lack of timelocks at the current time of this app). As someone who has played RO for a long time and knows the department very well, I would be more forgiving of their mistakes depending on how respectful they are and how intentional the insubordination was. If necessary I would send over a SEA or Synthetic to assist.

The CMP is directly in charge of all MPs and he will be the one who "watches the watchman". My tolerance for direct disobedience from MPs would be very low, because Military Police are a department that are supposed to follow orders to the letter whether they like them or not. They are held to a higher standard ICly and OOCly because of the job that they play and risk job/server ban if they do not meet that standard.

Engineering is a department that can usually be left to its own devices without any trouble, however due to their access to tools and dangerous Almayer equipment, it is essential that they are kept in line.

In general when dealing with insubordination, I would always give those accused of the charge a chance to explain themselves and a chance to follow the orders I have given. Errors in communication happen and conflict resolution is important as a CO else you risk being seen as rash or harsh. However at the end of the day an order is still an order, and if they repeatedly refuse to obey that order consequences will follow.

How would you handle an understaffed CIC? What if you and the XO are the only available CIC crew?
    I've played low-pop XO plenty of times, sometimes being the only one in command. In low-pop CIC I routinely make sure that all the squads are informed as I would announce frequently, as well as handling OBs, squad cameras, supply drops, and other SO duties when necessary. When it comes to shipside matters, I would have me or the XO handle it one at a time, or if I was alone, preferably the MPs or someone the most qualified to carry out my will unless it required my immediate attention. I've made it a routine to take care of the AA and OB if Engineering is lacking or out, sending the dropship from the console if POs are lacking, among other responsibilities one must take care of in a low-pop scenario.

What would you do if you were deployed and a marine told you they were going to desert the operation?
    When it comes to deserting/insubordinate marines usually theres a reason behind it. I would ask him why they feel that desertion is the best option. Understanding the morale and concerns of the marines is essential to playing good Command, and I would hear them out if they had something constructive to say. I would definitely try to convince them that desertion is not the answer, but at the end of the day if they persisted I would be forced to battlefield execute them, as is a just punishment for desertion especially in an active combat zone where MPs are unable to detain him.

Confirmations
    Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes
    Last edited by Basedoperator; 08-28-2020 at 05:50 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i could see a bunch of improvements to your application otherwise ill ask you your questions anyway
    Question time!

try to answer these to the best of your ability!
    do in all case of scenario's Example for 3 in the event of a mutiny or the Xo was murdered with no mutiny and for 4 with and without MPs

1. Two MPs kidnap the CMP by drugging him to sleep, then kidnapping them to the execution chair as a prank. They're the only MPs on the ship besides the CMP. What is your course of action?

2. It's been a 2 hour round going back and fourth what is your idea of breaking the stale mate?

3. You deploy and the XO gets assassinated by a bunch of unga delta's what are you going to do?

4. A bunch of deltas and an IO the Alamo at 12:18 without asking you and without the PO. What will you do?

Give an example of a Briefing in giving orders context and an example of a debrief before aliens start boarding
    Retired CSM Jonathon 'Ghost' Granger

Discord Jonathongun#0219

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something tells me you don't like Delta very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesthebond View Post
    1. Two MPs kidnap the CMP by drugging him to sleep, then kidnapping them to the execution chair as a prank. They're the only MPs on the ship besides the CMP. What is your course of action?
    MPs are held to a stricter standard than most other jobs. As an MP you are supposed to obey marine law to the letter. Drugging your boss is not acceptable. I would ahelp the issue especially if it was obvious they were griefers. Kidnapping is illegal confinement and they would be charged with it, as well as a demotion because those kinds of people do not deserve to be performing that job. Generally as a job a lone CMP vs a CMP and two MPs won't make very much difference. In the likelihood that more don't join then deputizing is always an option.

2. It's been a 2 hour round going back and fourth what is your idea of breaking the stale mate?
    That would be entirely dependent on the amount of combat ready marines in the scenario. Assuming the round is stuck in a gridlock. In a situation where the amount of marines holding where-ever they may be (FOB, chokepoint) is not strong enough to splinter to form flanks or to directly push, the primary tools at the marines disposal will be the DEFCON perks, and fire support (OB/CAS/Mortar). Sending down mini-intel kits and JTACs can work wonders for a stalemate, especially if the IOs and spotters are dead. Req points for spec ammo, mats, etc. can return the firepower needed for advancement. Defcon 3 cryorines can restore the men needed to defeat the xenos, spec kits can be game-changers in the right hands, and obviously the nuke is pretty much a guaranteed Marine Minor once acquired because of how many points Requisitions could feasibly be given to defend it.

However, if the amount of marines combat capable is great enough to form a sizable flank or a direct assault (flanks usually get fucked if they're low in troop number especially without a clear retreat route), then ordering such tactics combined with potential fire support could break the stalemate.

3. You deploy and the XO gets assassinated by a bunch of unga delta's what are you going to do?
    The question is vague in it's wording so I'll try to answer as best as I can broadly under the assumption that those killing the XO have absolutely no reason to do so (XO isn't a shitter).
    Depends on the location of the XO.

If you mean the XO is on the ground with me, I shouldn't be deployed with them in the first place.
    If the CIC was stormed while I was ground-side by Delta and they killed him in a mutiny I would authorize MP arming, announce the issue, and return ship-side to handle it (potentially with a squad depending on the tide of the battle/strength of the xenomorphs). I would give them a chance to stand down and be detained before engaging. If it was some random dude(s?) trying to murder him without mutiny I would allow the same procedure but probably ahelp after they have been taken in or killed because without an admin sanctioned """event""" or other extenuating circumstances it isn't really okay to murder your XO for no apparent reason.

4. A bunch of deltas and an IO the Alamo at 12:18 without asking you and without the PO. What will you do?
    Do you mean launch the Alamo early or sitting on the dropship? It's not necessarily a problem if they're on the ship without launching it because orders will be announced after briefing.

If the IO (or Delta SL) decides to commandeer the dropship against orders, I would hold the person who launched it accountable and order their arrest for neglect of duty and theft of the dropship after getting the Alamo back shipside as soon as possible via the remote consoles and ordering the marines on it to remain inside. I'm not sure if the question implies that the entire Delta squad is actively encouraging or assisting this early launch, but unless proven aiding and abetting charges against an entire squad wouldn't go over very well (unless they were actively disobedient, borderline mutiny in the first place), as well as the fact of the matter being that it would be hard to distinguish those who were just sitting in the dropship already unless it was just specifically Delta. With MPs I would just order them to detain after the Alamo returns to hangar if they are still aboard it, if not then they would be marked for arrest and MPs assigned to secure areas to carry this through such as the dropship or the FOB not under siege. Without MPs a deputized SO/XO would be sent to deal with the situation instead.

Give an example of a Briefing in giving orders context and an example of a debrief before aliens start boarding
    Briefing:

Good morning, marine corps of the USS Almayer! I hope you all had a nice nap. Our battalion has been selected today to respond to a distress signal from the colony of Lazarus Landing on the jungle planet of LV-624. Keep your eyes peeled for any survivors or any signs of hostile contacts of any sort. We will be flying Alamo on transport today. Your orders are as follows,

Alpha - Make your way across the colony counter-clockwise, scouting for any gaps. If no gaps are found, return to Hydro.

Bravo - LZ1 FOB, fireteams may be established to reinforce combat squads.

Charlie - Power duty. Head south from the LZ to Engineering. Once power is on you will go north to Hydro and secure it.

Delta - Scout with Alpha for any fog gaps counter-clockwise. If no gaps are found, return to Hydro.

The Alamo leaves 12:25. Dismissed.

Debriefing:

We worked hard out there men, but unfortunately we were unable to secure the colony of Lazarus Landing from the xenomorph threat. I will be requesting reinforcements from High Command. You are to R&R until further notice. Once reinforcements have arrived we will prepare for re-deployment. A memorial service will be held in 5 minutes for all those who would like to attend.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about the issues with my questions i sent through my phone but you got the idea none of the less

1st answer is absolutely fantastic

2nd Answer is reasonable and remember your SOs can be deployed to help in the fighting

3rd question was poorly worded because of my iPhone but the XO AND CO can not be deployed at the same time it is against SOP, but the answer is reasonable just know if anything happens to the the XO shipside shipside you must return shipside same thing if the XO deployed and the CO died.

4th i meant Alamo left early your answer is by the book but if delta and the IO deployed against your will you might as well let it happen other wise youll just ruin the operation Your role is part of Heavy RP but ensure the Fun of the round for everyone and Taking all of delta into the brig at round start will ruin the Fun for alot of players and allow a fast round end

5th try to slap some roleplay into it like we have arrived in sector gamma 5-5 we have reports of Communist UPP activity in the area there is a high possibility they are a reason for the colony to distress and yadda yadda

You have potential id suggest getting a little more experience but ill give you your +1 and i suggest playing XO on high pop rounds because that is when you'll get the most experience
    Retired CSM Jonathon 'Ghost' Granger

Discord Jonathongun#0219

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go get 'em tiger.

Positive vote.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heyo you probably don't remember me from in game but I can assure that your knowledge make you worth this whitelist.
    It's a positive

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stop voting in this weird zoomer way of letters. Stick to ya numbers.

Now I've just got a thing or two to ask...

1. An MP, who is clearly new to the game, is arrested for desertion after deploying without permission. The CMP deployed another MP to arrest the 1st one, and they succeeded. The CMP authorized their execution and is going to carry it out soon. What do you do?

2. A staff officer is drunk while doing overwatch. He has coordinated and executed several successful flanks, and exceptional orbital bombardments along with giga robust supply drops, and basically won the marines the operation. Then, during a crucial time of coordination with a flank to end all flanks, an MP comes in and arrests the SO for intoxication. What do you do?
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortelian View Post
    1. An MP, who is clearly new to the game, is arrested for desertion after deploying without permission. The CMP deployed another MP to arrest the 1st one, and they succeeded. The CMP authorized their execution and is going to carry it out soon. What do you do?
    First of all, as a CO aboard the ship I am the only one who gets to authorize executions. Second of all, Unless the MP being detained was at the FOB or had fleed it to avoid arrest, they shouldn't have been arrested groundside.

Due to timelocks being broken it's not impossible at all for some random who just installed BYOND to join ss13 and join as an MP, or other virtue of inexperience. If it's such an obvious new player, I would fax High Command about the misconduct of the CMP and the possibility of the charges being relieved against the bald MP, and then send the SEA to assist them. I would also advise the bald MP in looc to read the wiki and rules, use mentorhelp, and play as a Squad Marine to get a feel of the server. Driving off new players by detaining and executing them isn't right, and as the CO you have a duty to make the round enjoyable, especially for those getting their first experiences from the game from the rounds you are in charge of.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortelian View Post
    2. A staff officer is drunk while doing overwatch. He has coordinated and executed several successful flanks, and exceptional orbital bombardments along with giga robust supply drops, and basically won the marines the operation. Then, during a crucial time of coordination with a flank to end all flanks, an MP comes in and arrests the SO for intoxication. What do you do?
    Immediately order the MP to stand down before he is able to drag him to the brig, and announce a pardon for the SO relating to their crimes of intoxication. If the SO was so vital to the operation that we basically won because of him it would be foolish to let the MP arrest him at such an essential moment.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen you XO several times, once when I was CO. I think you have a good grasp on how to run CIC well, and I don't think you'd abuse the BE based on my experience playing with you. Also, you at least attempt to banter with people and I appreciate that, given how detached a lot of CIC staff are these days.

+1 from me, good luck
    Goosen Dagen-casual marine

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Basedoperator View Post
    First of all, as a CO aboard the ship I am the only one who gets to authorize executions. Second of all, Unless the MP being detained was at the FOB or had fleed it to avoid arrest, they shouldn't have been arrested groundside.

Due to timelocks being broken it's not impossible at all for some random who just installed BYOND to join ss13 and join as an MP, or other virtue of inexperience. If it's such an obvious new player, I would fax High Command about the misconduct of the CMP and the possibility of the charges being relieved against the bald MP, and then send the SEA to assist them. I would also advise the bald MP in looc to read the wiki and rules, use mentorhelp, and play as a Squad Marine to get a feel of the server. Driving off new players by detaining and executing them isn't right, and as the CO you have a duty to make the round enjoyable, especially for those getting their first experiences from the game from the rounds you are in charge of.

Immediately order the MP to stand down before he is able to drag him to the brig, and announce a pardon for the SO relating to their crimes of intoxication. If the SO was so vital to the operation that we basically won because of him it would be foolish to let the MP arrest him at such an essential moment.
    Based and redpilled. The first answer was golden. You throw around your weight and let these people know you own the place. You took initiative to stop the MPs from executing him, that's good.

The second answer wasn't bad, you wanted the right thing but here's the dealio. The Staff officer did not commit any crimes. You don't need to pardon it, although an appeal could also take a while. If I were you I'd order the MP to NJP the staff officer, then issue a general article NJP to the MP to find write an apology letter to the SO. This would let you get your SO back fast.

Overall, it seems that you want to win, and you know how to use marine law to do that.

+1 from me.

Also ya know, you've had like 10 (not even kidding, right???) marine majors in the past two days, so GG.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler: