Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Member when tank was good?

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan_albatross View Post
    Adding combat mechs would present devs with a pretty large dilemma - make them drivable by all marines and have them meta-given to robust people and generally powergamed about with, or make a new mech driver role that effectively becomes spec 2.
    Neither sounds particularly appealing.
    VCs are spec 2, but they're even WORSE than this idea, so this would be the lesser of two evils.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding combat mechs would present devs with a pretty large dilemma - make them drivable by all marines and have them meta-given to robust people and generally powergamed about with, or make a new mech driver role that effectively becomes spec 2.
    Ignoring that this would replace tonk, which is already a skill-exclusive role. Specs are already a bad design concept for marines since they are glass cannons. Mechs could would better fill the role of a durable breakthrough tool that supports instead of disrupts marines (see: tonk).
    Luca Jagemann, the cynical colonial with the prescription glasses.

Ancient Synth Williams, on another rescue mission in Brazil.

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outcast Seer View Post
    Ignoring that this would replace tonk, which is already a skill-exclusive role. Specs are already a bad design concept for marines since they are glass cannons. Mechs could would better fill the role of a durable breakthrough tool that supports instead of disrupts marines (see: tonk).
    Adding a new role which is just spec with buffed health and maybe different guns does not sound the most balanced tbh. Since xeno combat often revolves around stuns and getting in a lot of damage to helpless marines during said stuns, having a mech that takes like 10% damage during that stun and then just gets back up and blue flames you sounds like a MASSIVE marine buff which isn't needed right now and also absolute aids to play against.

If 150 health and medium level armour is glass cannon, what's a good amount of health for a solo piloted mech? 500 with heavy level armour?
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outcast Seer View Post
    I find the aversion of certain devs to combat mechs to be confusing. Its almost as if they only associate "mechs" with animu magic-fueled physics-defying atrocities instead of the more hard sci-fi versions that are effectively heavy power armor.
    Because in the end that is what people have in mind with what they say they want mechs in the game, not in terms of looks but certainly in term of function. It has greatly decreased in recent years but when the power loader was added you could not go onto git lab for years without some chucklefuck calling for the powerloader to have dual mounted gatling guns and a shoulder rocket launcher or some more equally stupid idea.

It is unfortunately indeed a slippery slope, where people will start demanding more and more stupid shit if you give them an inch and we'll end up with basically the Aliens version of this

Why? Because 80% of the playerbase just wanna click on something until it goes horizontal and they couldn't give less of a shit about what the sorroundings are.

Also, as other people have noted, what do you do with the mech ? Make a single whitelisted role ? Make it so it's like the spec and remove the specs ? What ? Marines have already every tool they could possibly need to win xenos, and hell, they do most of the time.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it really a dilemma? If Combat Loaders would be balanced, then robust players wouldn't touch that shit, because buckshot shotgun + light armor/no armor will still be superior to slow combat loader.

Depending on how they would be introduced, most likely repurposed VC, only they would get this since using power loaders is locked behind skillset. No matter how they will be introduced, its allways appealing. Complaining about "meta/powergaming" by giving shit only to certain PFCs is stupid and basically never happened outside of nades, but its not about giving them to robustos, but not giving them to baldos who would not simply waste the nade, but harm their own. Barrel Chargers, HPR kits, MOU kits, Beno names, all of those things filled benomains with fear that it will be used to powergame, or metagame, but each time its not the case. Barrel Chargers are useless, HPR kits lie around Req, barerly taken, the same with MOU and I have yet to see a T3 being deevolved so that robust T2 with known name could evolve into its place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined like 3 or 4 months ago this community and I heard the tank was great, I saw some videos about the CM tank old times and if you compare the old tank to new tank the new tank is dust I want those old times you all talk about to come back, they seem fun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I remember. They were never "good", they were the only thing that mattered in the game, and no matter what you did as a xeno/marine, the only people that could straight up win or lose a round is the 2 TCs, so much so that Req, before the tank vendor was a thing, always had to spend 200 of their roundstart 240 points to cater to the tank and the tank alone.

Tank has never been good, it has only either been retardedly overpowered or retardedly worthless. I don't miss it, I even want it to be gone. I know that you got some bad wiring in your brain and every time a feature gets removed, you have to reeeeeeee about it on the forum for every single new thread, but hell, in that video Pigeon posted, you could see the tank being able to just braindeadly kill any xeno it wants without any check, let alone counter. Nerfing tank to its current state was a GOOD thing, and I only wish that devs would remove it entirely, and like Cabal said, add in something like combat loaders or mechs. Because unlike you, I have played the game enough to know when something is a big enough trouble to warrant removing, and devs have been doing a good job at it so far when it comes to removing problematic things from the game

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    remove tank and add old tank.... but give it to xeno cultists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often disagree with CABAL, who can be a pompous ass, but in this I have to say he is completely right. Combat power loaders are in the source material and not a stretch, they'd be fun to play and less a pain to get around in compared to the current vehicles. Jeeps or humvees, as a 2x2 vehicle with limited space but high speed, would be very useful. Heck, mount a smartgun on the back and they can minorly contribute (like a smartgunner can), while zooming around the place. Both combat loaders and jeeps would be balanced by needing to be repaired when damaged. Perhaps a jeep could lose speed as it is damaged, while a combat loader might jam or fire less accurately. That would mean there is an interesting balance to be drawn between using them effectively and overusing them so much they lose effectiveness or break. That would be an interesting dilemma for the crew of either, and prevent them constantly being used, which would reduce their power without having to make them easily countered by xenos.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when tank was first added somewhere back In 2018-2019
    shit it was one of the best thing of all time.