Personal InformationByond ID?
    Stan_Albatross

Marine Name
    Karl Karlsson

Other Whitelist Applications
    None

Character InformationName of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Carl

What is your Synth’s quirk and personality?
    Carl's personality is a synth who's very resource conscious - he hates to see waste and will try make sure that everyone has enough of what they need. However he has no actual emotions and seeing a Delta marine waste HPR ammunition on an unbreakable wall will not impact his efficiency at all. His quirk is that he has a great reverence for machines and sees them as an important part of any colony/ship, and will frequently talk about them and their capabilities in a reverential manner.

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?
    The synth is the role that I think has the most utility out of all, and can make one of the largest positive impacts on the round. As I frequently play during lowpop hours, I know what a lack of shipside staff (or lack of competent ones) can do to a round - it massively decreases the fun that every marine has.

I'd also like to be able to RP as the ultra-CT synth that has to get every sheet of metal they can (within the boundaries of marine law) and always keeps the Marines well supplied - I think this could help improve everyone's rounds.

Synthetic Character Story
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...t?usp=drivesdk

1875 words. I'm not the best writer but I hope it displays the quirk and personality well enough.

ExperienceHow familiar are you with Engineering?
    Very familiar - I've played a lot of CE and squad engineer, I can make a good fob or firebase, know proper procedure for making cadelines, and what to do when cading the frontline. I can repair a fully broken apc, can deconstruct and reconstruct walls windows and airlocks, and can build and move machines like the autolathe and computers like the sensors computer.

How familiar are you with Command?
    Quite familiar - I've played a fair amount of SO, and know how to use all the functions of the overwatch console such as squad message, asl assignment, firing supply drops. I know I can't fire the OB. I know how to use the communications console as well, and what to announce over it.

As for auxiliary combat support, I have a lot of experience as IO that overlaps with squad engineer skills, such as hacking and Apc repair, a lot of experience as CAS PO that isn't very useful here (but I do know how to run transport as well), and a good few rounds of VC and the ability to drive the tank or apc, as well as repair it and outfit it.

How familiar are you with Medical?
    Very familiar - I've played a lot of squad medic, doctor, researcher, and CMO. I know the functions of every healing chemical and how to make all the common mixtures of them that squad medics will ask for. I know how to do every surgery off by heart as well as how to do it in the fob. I know when to use the autodoc and when not to, as well as triage. I can revive a marine with inordinate amounts of burn damage, as well as with over 200 toxin damage. I know the OD limits of chemicals and their OD effects, and how to stop an OD. I know how to operate the Turing and synthesis machines and XRF, and how to publish papers from the CMOs console. I know basic hydroponics and how to get special chems when the IOs aren't around.

How familiar are you with Requisitions?
    Very familiar - CT was the first support role I learnt and RO soon after. I know all the acronyms for attachments and how to run the req line, how to send supply drops and get coordinates, what to put in those supply drops, what to order from ASRS (materials and spec ammo 90% of the time) and how to make sure it goes to the right place. On the ground I know how to make sure every marine gets the supplies they need, and how to make sure that the front is well supplied even if underground. Also know what to print from the autolathe and bag for Marines as well as static materials spawns on the ship and maps as well as everything the req vendors have in them

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.
    A runner jumps out of the shadows and begins mauling a marine - I can hit it with my knife or thing until it runs away
    A defender runs at me and begins slashing - I can repel the attack until it disengages
    A runner is dragging a crit marine and I see it - I can attack the runner until it lets go of the marine and runs away
    A marine begins shooting the CO - I can use nonlethal non ranged to subdue the marine (a flash, basically)

ConfirmationsAre you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?
    No

Are you currently banned from our Discord, and if so, why?
    No

Other InformationDo you have anything else you would like to include about your application?
    I got stickybanned but it was for no reason and the appeal was accepted

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I'll answer any questions to the best of my ability

Synthetic Council Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good app, and I've seen you play support roles with a lot of good to show for it. Story is pretty good too, although there are a few problems that may be questioned later by other Synths/Council.

+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, thank you for applying.

Could you describe your quirk in a few words? Machine enthusiast who is against consumerism?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recycling enthusiast who respects and values machines.
    Also pays a lot of attention to supplies and resources.
    Think of him more miserly and penny-counting (or metal sheet counting) than anti consumerist
    Last edited by Stan_albatross; 08-29-2020 at 11:01 PM.
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)

Maxwell, the synth

Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Synth gaming :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can confirm his work in REQ, Karl is one of those ROs that writes coordinates on a paper that is right next to the launcher at REQ. I can state that I will never use night mode as I missed REQ coms due to color, and he flashed me in CIC for not launching a pad (and has upped my paranoia of ROs). He knows his way around all things chem and medical, and gives out pointers to anyone willing to learn. I have seen him as medic and squad engineer as well, very solid. I can't understate the importance of IO experience, and that it really helps to know that running and surviving is not important than kill count, Karl has that.

I think the story covers the quirk, though maybe a bullet is extreme.

How do you think your quirk will manifest when there is obvious waste of material at FOB, and you were ordered to reinforce the front?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrogZeke View Post
    I can confirm his work in REQ, Karl is one of those ROs that writes coordinates on a paper that is right next to the launcher at REQ. I can state that I will never use night mode as I missed REQ coms due to color, and he flashed me in CIC for not launching a pad (and has upped my paranoia of ROs). He knows his way around all things chem and medical, and gives out pointers to anyone willing to learn. I have seen him as medic and squad engineer as well, very solid. I can't understate the importance of IO experience, and that it really helps to know that running and surviving is not important than kill count, Karl has that.

I think the story covers the quirk, though maybe a bullet is extreme.

How do you think your quirk will manifest when there is obvious waste of material at FOB, and you were ordered to reinforce the front?

As a Synth I can't disobey orders, so I would make my way to the front (as a synth's "emotions" don't affect its decision making) and inform command of a waste of materials, probably in a quite dismayed or sad manner. I would also talk about the waste of materials on bravo and engineering comm channels, something like "the misuse of precious metal makes everyone sad, bravo engineer please do XYZ to improve and we can prosper in this battle through proper use of our resources"

To CIC I might suggest that the FOB needs more work in this scenario with "Our engineers have been improperly using their assigned battle materials, with the overwatch console and integral helmet-cam system, an officer might be able to direct them to use these in a better way"

Maxwell, the synth

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Synth gaming :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Whitelisted Synthetic CallunaBorealis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've first noticed you playing IO frequently months ago to know that you are a good independent player. I've also seen you around as CE and CMO at least once this past week to know that you are competent in those roles, e.g. that you can make chems, load cryo tubes, perform surgery and deconstruct walls.

I haven't personally seen you in Requisitions but the answers show that you are experienced enough in playing the role.

The quirk is quite unique and interesting, and is fleshed out in the story and answer to the question FrogZeke asked. I want to know how your synthetic will prioritise tasks given how it is demonstrated that Carl will go to the length of recovering resources to the extreme that "not one sheet of metal" was left inside in the AO. So I have a scenario for Carl:

Evac is in progress. FOB under siege by xenos. There is a full crate of supplies (ammo, mats, turrets) enough to build a proper FOB. There is also a dead marine but shown as defibbable in your MedHUD. You only have time to drag one back into the dropship. No one else can help you. You do not have time to ask command.

• Which will your synth choose and why?
    • Also, as you bring your choice into the dropship and the dropship launches away from the overrun LZ, a marine observing you asks you why you didn't pick the other option. Using your quirk, how will you ideally reply them? Assume no one on the dropship is injured at this point and you have time to answer the marine.
    Last edited by CallunaBorealis; 09-06-2020 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Revise rationale for question
    Shore leave approved for all my characters, enjoying the beaches of New Hawaii until further notice.

Plays as Heather Tanigawa (Intel and everything else), Erica Picotte (Medical) and Angela Ochoa (Engineering) in the USCM.

Aissa the Synthetic, a former waitress for a Cuban-themed restaurant franchise.

CB-** the Beno.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CallunaBorealis View Post
    I've first noticed you playing IO frequently months ago to know that you are a good independent player. I've also seen you around as CE and CMO at least once this past week to know that you are competent in those roles, e.g. that you can make chems, load cryo tubes, perform surgery and deconstruct walls.

I haven't personally seen you in Requisitions but the answers show that you are experienced enough in playing the role.

The quirk is quite unique and interesting, and is fleshed out in the story and answer to the question FrogZeke asked. I want to know how your synthetic will prioritise tasks given how it is demonstrated that Carl will go to the length of recovering resources to the extreme that "not one sheet of metal" was left inside in the AO. So I have a scenario for Carl:

Evac is in progress. FOB under siege by xenos. There is a full crate of supplies (ammo, mats, turrets) enough to build a proper FOB. There is also a dead marine but shown as defibbable in your MedHUD. You only have time to drag one back into the dropship. No one else can help you. You do not have time to ask command.

• Which will your synth choose and why?
    • Also, as you bring your choice into the dropship and the dropship launches away from the overrun LZ, a marine observing you asks you why you didn't pick the other option. Using your quirk, how will you ideally reply them? Assume no one on the dropship is injured at this point and you have time to answer the marine.
    Again, as a synth doesn't feel the emotions that its quirk makes it display, in an emergency situation, Carl's decision making would not be influenced extremely enough by it to ignore a dead and revivable marine. As such I would go for the marine's body, as in the scenario you described there is absolutely 0% chance that both could be recovered. If the chances were a little better, I would attempt to get both, or attempt to get someone else to help me (pointing at the body/crate and *scream. Maybe a quick typing of "drag!"). If, additionally, I could open the crate and put some of the materials in my backpack, at the same time as saving the marine, I would 100% do so. Reasoning behind this is that a human life is worth far more ICly (even if they are a first day alpha) than fob materials, especially as we are evacuating and I ICly believe that no further threat will befall us for the time being once we get back to the Almayer, and as such the materials are comparatively worth less. OOCly and ICly I would really really want to be able to get both in, but the scenario here doesn't allow that, so I'd have to pick the marine. Main reason being he is more valuable for the future (repelling potential pirates? I guess) than replacable metal, plasteel, and ammo. I'd also believe ICly that as we lost the fight, we wouldn't have to deploy again, and even if we did, by then Req would have procured more mats.

To the marine, I would explain, "I weighed up the value of the marine or the metal, and calculated that in the probable future, the marine is worth more to the functioning and defence of the USS Almayer. Materials and bullets can be replaced, a human cannot. While it pains me to see waste, I had no chance of getting them both in, so I retrieved the one worth more. I trust in the capabilites of the USS Almayer's Automatic Storage Retrieval System to be able to procure more materiel in case of further combative actions."

Hopefully this answers your question well enough - when I have the liberty to retrieve every sheet of metal I certainly would, but with limited time I'd have to save what values the most, and Carl places the most value of all in marine lives (why he saved the USCM soldier from capture instead of dismantling tables or something in the story)

In conclusion, I wouldn't prioritise mats over marines because the marine is more valuable to everyone. A cade can't kill a xeno (without a marine). My synth is resource conscious and when he has the freedom to get metal he will, but when lives are at stake his priorities are straight.
    Last edited by Stan_albatross; 09-07-2020 at 09:25 AM.

Maxwell, the synth

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Synth gaming :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Whitelisted Synthetic CallunaBorealis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan_albatross View Post
    Again, as a synth doesn't feel the emotions that its quirk makes it display, in an emergency situation, Carl's decision making would not be influenced extremely enough by it to ignore a dead and revivable marine. As such I would go for the marine's body, as in the scenario you described there is absolutely 0% chance that both could be recovered. If the chances were a little better, I would attempt to get both, or attempt to get someone else to help me (pointing at the body/crate and *scream. Maybe a quick typing of "drag!"). If, additionally, I could open the crate and put some of the materials in my backpack, at the same time as saving the marine, I would 100% do so. Reasoning behind this is that a human life is worth far more ICly (even if they are a first day alpha) than fob materials, especially as we are evacuating and I ICly believe that no further threat will befall us for the time being once we get back to the Almayer, and as such the materials are comparatively worth less. OOCly and ICly I would really really want to be able to get both in, but the scenario here doesn't allow that, so I'd have to pick the marine. Main reason being he is more valuable for the future (repelling potential pirates? I guess) than replacable metal, plasteel, and ammo. I'd also believe ICly that as we lost the fight, we wouldn't have to deploy again, and even if we did, by then Req would have procured more mats.

To the marine, I would explain, "I weighed up the value of the marine or the metal, and calculated that in the probable future, the marine is worth more to the functioning and defence of the USS Almayer. Materials and bullets can be replaced, a human cannot. While it pains me to see waste, I had no chance of getting them both in, so I retrieved the one worth more. I trust in the capabilites of the USS Almayer's Automatic Storage Retrieval System to be able to procure more materiel in case of further combative actions."

Hopefully this answers your question well enough - when I have the liberty to retrieve every sheet of metal I certainly would, but with limited time I'd have to save what values the most, and Carl places the most value of all in marine lives (why he saved the USCM soldier from capture instead of dismantling tables or something in the story)

In conclusion, I wouldn't prioritise mats over marines because the marine is more valuable to everyone. A cade can't kill a xeno (without a marine). My synth is resource conscious and when he has the freedom to get metal he will, but when lives are at stake his priorities are straight.
    Thanks for answering the question.

Answer is good and showcases the quirk and Carl's priorities.

I also did clarify with you via DMs about your given answer, and you also seem to understand the importance that emotions or OOC motivations should never form the basis of any of your synth's actions.

+1 and good luck.
    Shore leave approved for all my characters, enjoying the beaches of New Hawaii until further notice.

Plays as Heather Tanigawa (Intel and everything else), Erica Picotte (Medical) and Angela Ochoa (Engineering) in the USCM.

Aissa the Synthetic, a former waitress for a Cuban-themed restaurant franchise.

CB-** the Beno.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good responses and your quirk is a unique, breath of fresh air.

It's lame that you're making your synth name the same as your marine name, but I'll let it slide.

+1.
    Synthetic Senator