User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: IC mechanics and roleplay

  1. #11
    Whitelisted Synthetic Unknownity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gameplay takes priority over realism

    tank only giving 5 dmg by running over marines is for gameplay reasons, FF damage has been lowered overall some time ago for purely gameplay reasons,not because marines are suddenly bulletproof hulk abominations
    seeing only 7 tiles far is a gameplay decision done by practically all servers (HRP and alike)
    defibs resurrecting is a gameplay decision
    we CAS and OB Prison and CORSAT all the time and nobody dies from lack of oxygen due to the bombs making holes on the station's roofs that lead to the vacuum of space, all for gameplay reasons.

    Intentionally being run over by the tank is LRP because no sane man would do this, just because it deals only 5 damage to you doesn't mean you can intentionally run yourself over.
    Just like how you being shot by another marine isn't as bad anymore doesn't mean it's okay to ask "HEY SHOOT ME PLEASE"

    the CM universe has the same physics and laws of nature as our universe,lore wise a direct hit SADAR will gib you,lore wise you will die from being one tap eviscated by a ravager,lore wise getting shot by a fellow marine would be the same as getting shot by CLF with the same gun. Our server doesn't show this because gameplay takes priority over realism so we can have FUN

    Soldier said to move on,take his advice.
    Samuel 'Prophet' Logue
    BRAVO n CHARLIE Forever
    "Getting too old for this shit."
    ----
    Synthetic Kyra
    ----
    POW
    Burrower main

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    What it means what I said was that just because getting run over by a tank does little damage in game does not mean you should be doing it. It only does a little damage because showing you getting effectivly gibbed by a tank crushing you under it tread sucks so it is shown as in game being no damage but IC no sane man would want to be ran over.

    Also take note the tank can actually give you bone break or even IB if ran over too much so it ain't harmless. Also FF via slugs and such had their chance to bone break nerfed significantly as devs realized going back to medical after some baldy shot you up sucks thought can still break or remove limbs so be careful.
    As I've said, that *is* the reality that the characters face ingame and should be treated as such. Not going by real life standards that is dissonant to it.

    And yes, getting run over can do bone breaks, but so can literally anything that does brute damage, including being punched enough times and even being tapped by some items enough times.
    But you literally have to REPEATEDLY get run over since as I've said SEVERAL times, it does INSIGNIFICANT amount of damage, and that goes for a lot of things.
    To say otherwise to the fact that people do not do things that you deem as "stupid" by your own subjective standards such as being asked to get shot while wearing armor in order to test their protection/just wasting time (these are marines we're talking about) is just as ridiculous as saying that giant space bug lizard things actually exists in real life.

    Claiming that lore points otherwise is dishonest as nothing on the wiki lore cites such things and not even AvP:Extinction (which is an totally unrelated media to CM-SS13) even shows ravagers or SADAR/RPG doing anything like that.
    And since the staff has been as petty to as far as to warn people for "LRP" against someone that do conform within the setting AS presented towards the character inside the game while they are pushing for higher roleplay quality with no clear standard.
    Then no, I won't take shit for staff deeming people that DO play along with the setting, assume their character as their own person within said universe which has its own rules to be "LRP".
    How psychotic do you have to be to believe in letting people getting banned, for roleplaying within said universe for actually playing along with its absurdities?
    Last edited by Ttly; 08-31-2020 at 03:59 AM.

  3. #13
    Member Omicega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't differentiate between game mechanics and roleplay then you are just stupid

    This argument is moronic



    I play Alicia Parker, Naomi Bowman, and Chloe.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what, you're gonna pretend that getting whacked, shot, etc. to be more harmful than what your character is actually experiencing?
    Emphasis on pretending as everything including pain, and damage is a measurable unit.

    If anything, that would be even more LRP.

    "Oh no, I got run over by the tank while wearing heavy armor and took... five brute damage! The horror!"
    Compared to:
    "Come on man, let's brawl, the analyzer confirmed that each of our punches only does five brute damage anyway."
    Last edited by Ttly; 08-31-2020 at 01:23 PM.

  5. #15
    Whitelisted Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttly View Post
    So what, you're gonna pretend that getting whacked, shot, etc. to be more harmful than what your character is actually experiencing?
    Emphasis on pretending as everything including pain, and damage is a measurable unit.

    If anything, that would be even more LRP.

    "Oh no, I got run over by the tank while wearing heavy armor and took... five brute damage! The horror!"
    Compared to:
    "Come on man, let's brawl, the analyzer confirmed that each of our punches only does five brute damage anyway."
    ...why is this so hard for you to understand?

    All these changes that make marines incredibly resistant to damage were made for OOC reasons. Because it's not fun if you get gibbed by a tank driving over you during lag, and it's not fun to get slugged by a bald Alpha and having to spend the next ten minutes getting back to the Almeyer to get your IB, ruptured liver and broken ribs fixed by a doc. Same as that only takes ten minutes because of the 4 minutes walking to and from the Almeyer and only 2 minutes of actual surgery, because spending 6 hours in surgery and then several weeks in recovery isn't fun, either.
    If you can't suspend disbelieve caused by gameplay mechanics, why are you playing video games?

    If you need an IC explanation for not doing any of that shit: You are in an active warzone. Soldiers don't go "lol, lets brawl, it'd be funny" while their comrades are fighting and getting killed within a two minute walk from them.
    Or, yunno, go with the explanation CABAL gave, which is actually pretty nice for as to why you wouldn't want to be fixed up.
    Bob 'DangerZone' Hale and the incognito legion

    FA-XXX-B5 (The D-Day Drone that never wants to be a Hivelord yet always winds up as one)

  6. #16
    Community Manager ThesoldierLLJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,163
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude you literally walked in front of a tank saying "DO IT" and and were warned not to do it. Instead of taking my advice you're to stoke a fire. Like what do you expect community outrage over this? You weren't banned, literally just warned. Yes marines do stupid shit, but a player/marine wouldn't just ask a giant vehicle to run someone over.
    Head Shitposter in Charge and Community Manager
    Insert timeline of being staff here | Discord: Thesoldier#3107 - Open to DMs

  7. #17
    Senior Member Cimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttly View Post
    So what, you're gonna pretend that getting whacked, shot, etc. to be more harmful than what your character is actually experiencing?
    Bro, yes, PRETENDING IS THE GAME, its the thing you do from the moment your character spawns till the round ends, thats what roleplay is, idk how it can be explained simpler than this
    Last edited by Cimo; 08-31-2020 at 02:27 PM.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FortyPercent View Post
    ...why is this so hard for you to understand?

    All these changes that make marines incredibly resistant to damage were made for OOC reasons. Because it's not fun if you get gibbed by a tank driving over you during lag, and it's not fun to get slugged by a bald Alpha and having to spend the next ten minutes getting back to the Almeyer to get your IB, ruptured liver and broken ribs fixed by a doc. Same as that only takes ten minutes because of the 4 minutes walking to and from the Almeyer and only 2 minutes of actual surgery, because spending 6 hours in surgery and then several weeks in recovery isn't fun, either.
    If you can't suspend disbelieve caused by gameplay mechanics, why are you playing video games?

    If you need an IC explanation for not doing any of that shit: You are in an active warzone. Soldiers don't go "lol, lets brawl, it'd be funny" while their comrades are fighting and getting killed within a two minute walk from them.
    Or, yunno, go with the explanation CABAL gave, which is actually pretty nice for as to why you wouldn't want to be fixed up.
    ...why is this so hard for you to understand?

    All these changes that make weapons and vehicles do minimal damage affects the world arounds them in character. The characters should react to their surrounding as presented to them, not pretending that it is not as it is. It's not fun to be taken out of the game by a staff deeming these practically victimless acts and having to spend the next three or twenty four hours playing other games.
    If your character can't believe that the world they live in works in this way, what world are they roleplaying in?

    Am I supposed to react in character to someone getting ahealed to be anything but a magical miracle? The same goes with people "going SSD" and whatnot.
    Space ghosts which are just bored staff running around screaming fluff shit no one cares about as anything other than actual space ghosts?
    No, any in game character would see them as such from their perspective.

    If you need an IC explanation for any of this shit: The "humans" on SS13 are pseudohumans that literally sees within 360 degree around them but are limited to "seven tiles" unless they have a magnifier. And whatever other medical fluff mumbo jumbo that also goes along with the items they interact with.
    And besides, twenty minutes before first drop is way enough time that has always meant to be time for roleplaying and messing around on the ship. So yes, people would brawl, and it doesn't even cause any real damage or fatigue.

    To say that getting hit by a vehicle does more than 5-10 brute damage is disingenuous and would've looked like LARPing within the character's own perspective.
    It is as much roleplaying as pretending to be dead while on a LARP session.


    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    Dude you literally walked in front of a tank saying "DO IT" and and were warned not to do it. Instead of taking my advice you're to stoke a fire. Like what do you expect community outrage over this? You weren't banned, literally just warned. Yes marines do stupid shit, but a player/marine wouldn't just ask a giant vehicle to run someone over.
    So? People have actually been banned for things you deem as LRP.
    "It's just a warn bro."
    Yeah, until it escalates into a ban because you subjectively does not like whatever their character is doing.
    Last edited by Ttly; 08-31-2020 at 03:07 PM.

  9. #19
    Whitelisted Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttly View Post
    ...why is this so hard for you to understand?

    All these changes that make weapons and vehicles do minimal damage affects the world arounds them in character. The characters should react to their surrounding as presented to them, not pretending that it is not as it is. It's not fun to be taken out of the game by a staff deeming these practically victimless acts and having to spend the next three or twenty four hours playing other games.
    If your character can't believe that the world they live in works in this way, what world are they roleplaying in?
    ...why is this so hard for you to understand?

    The main character in any Call of Duty reacts in cutscenes and scripted events just like a normal human would react in those situations. ...well, at least a particularly "heroic, badass" human. Yet, over the course of the campaign, most of them take enough hits to kill ten sperm whales from the lead poisoning alone. That is where "suspension of disbelief" comes in. When you play a video game, any video game, you enter an understanding with the develoeprs of said game that what you are about to experience won't ever be a 100% representation of reality, but an adapted version of relity with certain allowances for "magic" in the name of player enjoyment and the ability of the developers to create the game to begin with.

    In this specific case, tanks don't murder you because accidents happen and aren't supposed to interrupt the game flow. But actively, maliciously calling out these facts in game is willfully disrupting the suspension of disbelief for other players. If you want to get run over by a tank, run in front of a tank! Ain't nobody stopping you. Of course, if you overdo it, the tank crew will get pissed if you keep doping it, because they don't WANT to keep running over you. Because that is disrupting their suspension of disbelief. And then they will ahelp, and a mod will tell you to cut it out.

    Is SS13 the first video game you ever played? I'm genuinely asking. If you want more realism from your roleplay, try and find a pen&paper roleplaying group. Those are only restricted by the ruleset they are using (if that), and there's even forum and chat based groups out there for you to play more realistic spessmans and follow the rabbithole of taking mechanics literally or having a perfectly imemrsive world.

    Am I supposed to react in character to someone getting ahealed to be anything but a magical miracle? The same goes with people "going SSD" and whatnot.
    Space ghosts which are just bored staff running around screaming fluff shit no one cares about as anything other than actual space ghosts?
    No, any in game character would see them as such from their perspective.
    It's entirely up to you how you react to aheals. Most people just ignore them, because they understand the meta-reason for them happening (someone got griefed and thus mods stepped in to allow the griefed player to continue having fun). Personally, I just roll with something along the lines of "man, that looked a lot worse at first. Ha. Lucky bastard. Alright, lets get back to the task at hand!"
    Ghost events... well. Again, react to ghosts as your character would react to ghosts. I don't really see an issue here. Personally, my Bob would likely get convinced it's a CLF saboteur with a cloak and some holographic bullshit and try to hunt that guy down. Because who the fuck actually believes in space ghosts?

    If you need an IC explanation for any of this shit: The "humans" on SS13 are pseudohumans that literally sees within 360 degree around them but are limited to "seven tiles" unless they have a magnifier. And whatever other medical fluff mumbo jumbo that also goes along with the items they interact with.
    And besides, twenty minutes before first drop is way enough time that has always meant to be time for roleplaying and messing around on the ship. So yes, people would brawl, and it doesn't even cause any real damage or fatigue.
    Again. Game restrictions. Simulating an actual human field of view with the janky Byond engine would be cancerous cringe, in all likelihood. CM used to have more realistic shoulder lamps (only illuminating in front of you) and they cut that shit out because it was just miserable.

    Sure. They would brawl. And you can brawl. I have never seen staff step in when marines got into fistfights or were stealing each others boots before the drop. And, realistically, if a marine used army-property to injure fellow marines "for fun" while preparing for a combat engagement, regardless of what actual damage is caused, they would instantly wind up in the brig and, after the op is over, either be sent to punishment detail or be dishonourly discharged. So what exactly is your point?
    Bob 'DangerZone' Hale and the incognito legion

    FA-XXX-B5 (The D-Day Drone that never wants to be a Hivelord yet always winds up as one)

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FortyPercent View Post
    ...why is this so hard for you to understand?

    The main character in any Call of Duty reacts in cutscenes and scripted events just like a normal human would react in those situations. ...well, at least a particularly "heroic, badass" human. Yet, over the course of the campaign, most of them take enough hits to kill ten sperm whales from the lead poisoning alone. That is where "suspension of disbelief" comes in. When you play a video game, any video game, you enter an understanding with the develoeprs of said game that what you are about to experience won't ever be a 100% representation of reality, but an adapted version of relity with certain allowances for "magic" in the name of player enjoyment and the ability of the developers to create the game to begin with.
    Don't bring other games to this, this is not about them. And on your particular example of Call of Duty, it's not even a roleplaying game.
    Quote Originally Posted by FortyPercent View Post
    In this specific case, tanks don't murder you because accidents happen and aren't supposed to interrupt the game flow. But actively, maliciously calling out these facts in game is willfully disrupting the suspension of disbelief for other players. If you want to get run over by a tank, run in front of a tank! Ain't nobody stopping you. Of course, if you overdo it, the tank crew will get pissed if you keep doping it, because they don't WANT to keep running over you. Because that is disrupting their suspension of disbelief. And then they will ahelp, and a mod will tell you to cut it out.
    And being run over doesn't interrupt the game flow, what's your point? And what about my suspension of disbelief, what about other people that are legitimately got ran over on accident? Their IC perspective would all be the same "Hmm, getting run over sure doesn't hurt that much." and being FORCED to PRETEND IN CHARACTER otherwise is as much roleplay as actual real life LARPing pretending that getting stabbed by a foam sword would kill you.

    Quote Originally Posted by FortyPercent View Post
    Is SS13 the first video game you ever played? I'm genuinely asking. If you want more realism from your roleplay, try and find a pen&paper roleplaying group. Those are only restricted by the ruleset they are using (if that), and there's even forum and chat based groups out there for you to play more realistic spessmans and follow the rabbithole of taking mechanics literally or having a perfectly imemrsive world.
    Is that supposed to be a condescending ad hominem?


    Quote Originally Posted by FortyPercent View Post
    It's entirely up to you how you react to aheals. Most people just ignore them, because they understand the meta-reason for them happening (someone got griefed and thus mods stepped in to allow the griefed player to continue having fun). Personally, I just roll with something along the lines of "man, that looked a lot worse at first. Ha. Lucky bastard. Alright, lets get back to the task at hand!"
    Ghost events... well. Again, react to ghosts as your character would react to ghosts. I don't really see an issue here. Personally, my Bob would likely get convinced it's a CLF saboteur with a cloak and some holographic bullshit and try to hunt that guy down. Because who the fuck actually believes in space ghosts?
    Except those things are OOC intervention that literally cannot be explained in a rational sense ICly?

    Quote Originally Posted by FortyPercent View Post
    Again. Game restrictions. Simulating an actual human field of view with the janky Byond engine would be cancerous cringe, in all likelihood. CM used to have more realistic shoulder lamps (only illuminating in front of you) and they cut that shit out because it was just miserable.
    Yeah, directional lights sucked, what's your point? No one's saying the game needs more realism.

    Quote Originally Posted by FortyPercent View Post
    Sure. They would brawl. And you can brawl. I have never seen staff step in when marines got into fistfights or were stealing each others boots before the drop. And, realistically, if a marine used army-property to injure fellow marines "for fun" while preparing for a combat engagement, regardless of what actual damage is caused, they would instantly wind up in the brig and, after the op is over, either be sent to punishment detail or be dishonourly discharged. So what exactly is your point?
    Except they actually have, and that's why you never see mass brawls nowadays. And are you seriously saying things such as "after the OP is over" when the rounds ends and everything from in character perspective gets "soft-reset" if you actually read the rules?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •