User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: IC mechanics and roleplay

  1. #21
    Whitelisted Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttly View Post
    Don't bring other games to this, this is not about them. And on your particular example of Call of Duty, it's not even a roleplaying game.
    Fine. Any turn-based rpg makes the argument even better. There are some meta ones that comment on everyone freezing while someone takes their turn, but those are specifically comedy games. As for why I brought up other games to begin with: SS13 and CM are video games. So, once more, they do video game things in order to function.

    ...why is this so hard for you to understand?


    And being run over doesn't interrupt the game flow, what's your point? And what about my suspension of disbelief, what about other people that are legitimately got ran over on accident? Their IC perspective would all be the same "Hmm, getting run over sure doesn't hurt that much." and being FORCED to PRETEND IN CHARACTER otherwise is as much roleplay as actual real life LARPing pretending that getting stabbed by a foam sword would kill you.
    Yes, being run over doesn't interrupt game flow now because of how little impact it has. That is exactly the point. So a little accident doesn't lead to the tank being out of the mission for the next thirty minutes.
    But, hear me out here, there is a trick to all of this, you know? You aren't forced to pretend in character. You can always ignore events, or, if you want to absolutely address them for some reason, play them off as wild flukes. "Maaaaan, did you see that tank running me over like that? Christ, fucking miracle that I got away with just a few bruises, eh? Must be my lucky day! Right. Back to work."


    Is that supposed to be a condescending ad hominem?
    ...no? I genuinely asked you, just as I said, whether SS13 is your first video game. Because you are making truely baffling arguments that question basic facts anyone who is even tangentially involved in the subject would never bring up in good faith. The other option, of course, would be that you are arguing in bad faith because a mod boinked you, but really, what's the chances of that?


    Except those things are OOC intervention that literally cannot be explained in a rational sense ICly?
    Why? You looked at the guy, it seemed like he was dead, but then you checked and he was alive. Huh. MedHUD glitch, failure to find the pulse, all seem much more rational explanations than assuming intervention by god, don't they? Though, again, you can just ignore that that stuff happened at all!


    Yeah, directional lights sucked, what's your point? No one's saying the game needs more realism.
    You just said that 7 tile all around view and then NOTHING is a problem and needs to be addressed in character. While everyone else agrees that it's just a conceit to the kind of game this is. So I brought up another vision-linked example of mechanics trumping IC conceits.


    Except they actually have, and that's why you never see mass brawls nowadays. And are you seriously saying things such as "after the OP is over" when the rounds ends and everything from in character perspective gets "soft-reset" if you actually read the rules?
    Mass brawls are different from two marines smacking each other for fun, or stealing each other's boots. Mass brawls derail the entire pre-op phase, postpone the briefing and then some asshole always pulls a weapon. So of course the mods curb that shit.
    Bob 'DangerZone' Hale and the incognito legion

    FA-XXX-B5 (The D-Day Drone that never wants to be a Hivelord yet always winds up as one)

  2. #22
    Admin & Synthetic Senator AcuteCircle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,053
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it's funny to RP being run over by car?

    No?

    Lol
    Synthetic Senator. DM for Synthetic - related queries or contact on Discord Melody#5387


    Spoiler Spoiler:


    ~Staff History~
    Mentor - 12/23/2018 | Senior Mentor - 3/10/2019 | Trial Senior Moderator - 5/11/2019 | Senior Moderator - 5/27/2019 | Trial Admin - 10/2/2019 | Admin - 11/4/2019

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FortyPercent View Post
    Fine. Any turn-based rpg makes the argument even better. There are some meta ones that comment on everyone freezing while someone takes their turn, but those are specifically comedy games. As for why I brought up other games to begin with: SS13 and CM are video games. So, once more, they do video game things in order to function.

    ...why is this so hard for you to understand?
    No, some actual serious games do cite how long does a turn take (e.g, DDS1 noting that a turn in battle takes 1 second in universe), and to dismiss them as "specifically comedy games" is ridiculous.
    Not to mention the fact that unlike SS13, those other games does not have player-driven involvement within the setting, an NPC says its pre-recorded line and that's it.
    While on SS13 if something were to happen to someone in a round, they could react to them in-character dynamically as it is happening to them.

    Quote Originally Posted by FortyPercent View Post
    Yes, being run over doesn't interrupt game flow now because of how little impact it has. That is exactly the point. So a little accident doesn't lead to the tank being out of the mission for the next thirty minutes.
    But, hear me out here, there is a trick to all of this, you know? You aren't forced to pretend in character. You can always ignore events, or, if you want to absolutely address them for some reason, play them off as wild flukes. "Maaaaan, did you see that tank running me over like that? Christ, fucking miracle that I got away with just a few bruises, eh? Must be my lucky day! Right. Back to work."
    So that's your argument? Literally just ignore it? That's even less than subjective LRP, that is quite literally NoRP, to see the things that impacts your character as "Huh, must've been nothing." while downplaying someone that does react to what it is as "breaking immersion".

    Quote Originally Posted by FortyPercent View Post
    ...no? I genuinely asked you, just as I said, whether SS13 is your first video game. Because you are making truely baffling arguments that question basic facts anyone who is even tangentially involved in the subject would never bring up in good faith. The other option, of course, would be that you are arguing in bad faith because a mod boinked you, but really, what's the chances of that?
    And? What's your point. And it's not even my first video game, I don't even remember what exactly it was.

    Quote Originally Posted by FortyPercent View Post
    Why? You looked at the guy, it seemed like he was dead, but then you checked and he was alive. Huh. MedHUD glitch, failure to find the pulse, all seem much more rational explanations than assuming intervention by god, don't they? Though, again, you can just ignore that that stuff happened at all!
    Again, you are merely pretending as if an literal act of god didn't happen right in front of your character's eyes while trying to rationalize it by assuming the devices that has been proven to ALWAYS be correct in their measurement to be faulty.

    Quote Originally Posted by FortyPercent View Post
    You just said that 7 tile all around view and then NOTHING is a problem and needs to be addressed in character. While everyone else agrees that it's just a conceit to the kind of game this is. So I brought up another vision-linked example of mechanics trumping IC conceits.
    Yeah, directional lights sucked and no one said the game needs more "realism" shit like that. What's your point?

    Quote Originally Posted by FortyPercent View Post
    Mass brawls are different from two marines smacking each other for fun, or stealing each other's boots. Mass brawls derail the entire pre-op phase, postpone the briefing and then some asshole always pulls a weapon. So of course the mods curb that shit.
    No, they really don't until MPs starts throwing flashbang or someone pulls a weapon yes, but the latter falls into griefing and does warrant an OOC intervention already.
    How long did you even started playing on this server? Charlie Delta canteen brawls used to be a rather frequent thing and it really only derails the round when MPs intervene.


    Quote Originally Posted by AcuteCircle View Post
    I guess it's funny to RP being run over by car?

    No?

    Lol
    Subjectively it is, especially with near zero consequence.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearly those who want IC to match the lore, where there is currently a dissonance, should be heard. Yes it is silly for a tank running someone over to do so little damage. They would like to use this to justify having it done for fun. That makes sense. However, I would present a different option to you all.

    Fuck that shit.

    Increase the damage of being run over by the tank, friendly fire and so on to match the lore. Let being run over gib someone. Screw gameplay friendliness. These idiots complaining about their stupid roleplay shenanigans do not deserve it. Let them instead have the impact of changing the mechanics of the game to match the lore, which is their argument, and therefore make any friendly fire incidents deadly and dangerous. Getting shot with a slug round? Now you have internal bleeding and lots of damage.

    Congratulations! You got what you asked for!

    Seems fair to me.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
    Medical has been stripped to barebones and is beyond simplistic

    Back in the day damage from combat used to be deadly and would require a high degree of skill to fix. There were serious consequences to going in as rambo, or not acting as a cohesive force.
    when LOL PERIDAXON HEALED ALL ORGAN DAMAGE BRO

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausrine View Post
    Clearly those who want IC to match the lore, where there is currently a dissonance, should be heard. Yes it is silly for a tank running someone over to do so little damage. They would like to use this to justify having it done for fun. That makes sense. However, I would present a different option to you all.

    Fuck that shit.

    Increase the damage of being run over by the tank, friendly fire and so on to match the lore. Let being run over gib someone. Screw gameplay friendliness. These idiots complaining about their stupid roleplay shenanigans do not deserve it. Let them instead have the impact of changing the mechanics of the game to match the lore, which is their argument, and therefore make any friendly fire incidents deadly and dangerous. Getting shot with a slug round? Now you have internal bleeding and lots of damage.

    Congratulations! You got what you asked for!

    Seems fair to me.
    I wouldn't mind that from roleplay perspective but to most people it would be ass to play the game with, so why the hell not.

  7. #27
    Whitelisted Synthetic
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damage isn’t realistic to prevent issues caused by lag, friendly fire, and inexperienced players. The cushion of the server’s unrealistic damage allows reaction and makes mistakes less punishing. While I do like the concept of buffing damages to make them more dangerous for both sides I can see why our damage is set this way. Also lag can be very painful when playing. I like that some form of role play is required on this server, and there is some nuance to it. I feel like the “cushion” our damage gives is meant to give you room to ignore accidents (such as new players accidentally discharging before deployment) rather than be an excuse to intentionally harm yourself. The short of it is while the mechanics may be unrealistic, your actions should try to be realistic
    Clancy Long
    Ethan

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulaboy View Post
    Damage isn’t realistic to prevent issues caused by lag, friendly fire, and inexperienced players. The cushion of the server’s unrealistic damage allows reaction and makes mistakes less punishing. While I do like the concept of buffing damages to make them more dangerous for both sides I can see why our damage is set this way. Also lag can be very painful when playing. I like that some form of role play is required on this server, and there is some nuance to it. I feel like the “cushion” our damage gives is meant to give you room to ignore accidents (such as new players accidentally discharging before deployment) rather than be an excuse to intentionally harm yourself. The short of it is while the mechanics may be unrealistic, your actions should try to be realistic
    Except that's exactly the point.
    The "cushioned" damage as "unrealistic" as it is, should be perceived as reality to the characters in the game.
    Not telling people that pretending that it's anything but as such to be LRP when they are reacting to them as what they are.

  9. #29
    Senior Member SilentMountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People don't realize that when damage dont actually matters and you can just swallow a couple pills or get defibbed out of getting every organ popped like a balloon this will incentivize people to do LRP stupid shit like Ungaing and ramboing because dying or getting your limbs separated from your body isn't that big of a deal and the pay off is that you might kill an enemy.

  10. #30
    Senior Member CABAL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,574
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttly View Post
    Except that's exactly the point.
    The "cushioned" damage as "unrealistic" as it is, should be perceived as reality to the characters in the game.
    Not telling people that pretending that it's anything but as such to be LRP when they are reacting to them as what they are.
    Oh please, please, please.

    I don't want to be rude, but I will say that: "Oh please, please, please, shut up."

    I recommend going to some HRP server, whatever, just go BYOND hub and find one designated HRP and then preach your nonsense that they aren't realistic enough with not allowing self-harm, because they all have pretty much the same medical system as CM does, maybe a bit complicated. Really, because its mentally exhausting to read your posts.
    Go to Aurorastation forum and start complaining that your character is not allowed to casually self-harm just because Advanced Trauma Kits exist and since they exist and they can heal each and every minor, to major wound, you should be allowed to do that.

    If you come back and they won't change their policy on what is HRP on their server (and bear in mind its HRP server, CM even in wildest dreams is supposed to be considered MRP), then the answer will be clear. Spare us this, there are other servers that need your help! They don't realise that what they don't allow should be allowed instead. Don't let those fools wait any longer! They have to be more realistic! Go, go, go now.
    REDEMPTION

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •