User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IC mechanics and roleplay

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IC mechanics and roleplay

Has anyone ever thought how getting stabbed, punched, run over by vehicles pretty much does little to no damage but intentionally getting hit by them is "LRP"?

I seriously believe that in an universe where:
    -I have practically infinite supply of painkillers and magic healing drugs
    -Getting stabbed/shot/run over/etc. does negligible (5-10 brute to armored marines damage which is as much as getting punched twice while not wearing armor within ingame constraints).
    -Where damage to body parts has been quantified and measurable on a device that anyone can use.
    -Where there is no long term side effects of any of this.
    -Where defibs are magic resurrecting devices.
    -Where you literally can only see about 7 tiles around you without a magnifier.

That it would be reasonable for someone to participate in being negligibly harmed like that as there is practically little to no consequence to their bodily self.

So really, what's the deal with this "roleplay standard" that seems detached to the in game consequence/mechanics? It seriously just breaks my immersion of how my character would perceive the world around them.
    Last edited by Ttly; 08-29-2020 at 10:55 PM.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Medical has been stripped to barebones and is beyond simplistic

Back in the day damage from combat used to be deadly and would require a high degree of skill to fix. There were serious consequences to going in as rambo, or not acting as a cohesive force.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean the time where peri actually fixes organ and cloning was a thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As it stands, I can partially agree. Trying to translate it from a gameplay perspective, for example:

A shotgun slug, taking armor into account, does laughable damage. Hitting a marine leaves their health in the lime green part of a medhud display. With this in mind, I could easily see marines in this fictional universe where no permanent damage exists slugging each other in a paintball-esque game.

Sadly, staff still has to keep this sometimes loosely defined roleplay standard up and say "well uhh a slug would blow your head open so its lrp to willingly get hit by one".

I think it's just difficult for management to reconcile the disparity between in game funnies and holding a modicum of RP standard without fully shifting to either TDM or roleplay. Can't blame them for that.
    Jonathan Hogg/SHP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I'm saying.
    I believe that it would really be better if they just take all this ridiculous by real-life standards things and play it with a straight face as part of roleplay instead of basing the standard to real-life.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pain is a pain, no matter what, even with painkillers. Nobody likes extreme pain that is inflicted and one could guess that getting shot, or stabbed hurts a fucking much. Reasonably, nobody sane would want to experience a lot of it.

Then comes the fact that each and every CM round happens during active operation with dangerous hostiles, even if magic medicine exists, there are still bigger problems.

Then comes the fact that getting shot, or stabbed doesn't cause 5-10 brute damage.

And I can easly came up with idea that getting harmed/damaged on purpose is stupid. All we have to add to meds is a fluff "each regrowed cell is weaker than the original one, continious use of Advanced medical kits and medicine like Kelotane and Bicardine actually harm the user by making him weaker, although a bit slowly. Each broken bone healed with bone gel will be prone to further breaks in the future, to the point where during extreme usage a marine might just as well call himself "a man with glass bones".
    Only natural healing, through the course of several days, weeks and months actually heals the wounds, leaving them sometimes even stronger than they were before as healthy organism reacts after continious damage and proper healing (ever wondered how muscles grow? When you excercise, your muscles suffer "micro damage" that your organism repairs and then adds another layers of muscle).

Good and done, perfect explenation why you wouldn't want to hurt yourself even with the medicine we have in CM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, and getting hit by a tank or a speeding APC does as much as getting punched twice.

Just because you explained the medicine doesn't explain the amount of damage stuff does you know, not to mention explaining said damage relatively to xenos.
    Simply put, the in-character universe simply has absurd physics and roleplaying within said absurdity is what should be normal.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Becuase showing it in any realistic way in a 2d game a 3d world with hyper mobile aliens with basically bear claws tearing your entrails out, take mind this is the drone doing it, would not be fun. Getting literally eviscated by a ravager in one shot is not fun. Getting thrown around like a god dam rag doll by the queen is not fun. Getting turned to a pancake by a crusher aint fun.

Know what also isnt fun? Getting one shot perma killed from some accidentally FF because everyone is blocking and switching spots on help intent.

I could go into stuns, but aliens stuns dont exist. THEY STRAIGHT GRAB AND SEND YOU TO HELL. Getting one shot grabbed a drone and being sent to larva land aint fun.

The game itself isn't IC but it the price of having a semi-fun TDM game in 2d.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    Becuase showing it in any realistic way in a 2d game a 3d world with hyper mobile aliens with basically bear claws tearing your entrails out, take mind this is the drone doing it, would not be fun. Getting literally eviscated by a ravager in one shot is not fun. Getting thrown around like a god dam rag doll by the queen is not fun. Getting turned to a pancake by a crusher aint fun.

Know what also isnt fun? Getting one shot perma killed from some accidentally FF because everyone is blocking and switching spots on help intent.

I could go into stuns, but aliens stuns dont exist. THEY STRAIGHT GRAB AND SEND YOU TO HELL. Getting one shot grabbed a drone and being sent to larva land aint fun.

The game itself isn't IC but it the price of having a semi-fun TDM game in 2d.
    That isn't what I said at all, what I said is that all of those things you just said, *is* the reality that the characters in the game do face and that to pretend as if they are not by calling them LRP is what I'm against.
    In-universe, your character literally feels that getting run over by a tank equates to as much hurt as getting punched twice without armor, see post#4, etc. yet at the same time they are labelled LRP for adhering to how someone would reasonably act in such setting.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttly View Post
    That isn't what I said at all, what I said is that all of those things you just said, *is* the reality that the characters in the game do face and that to pretend as if they are not by calling them LRP is what I'm against.
    In-universe, your character literally feels that getting run over by a tank equates to as much hurt as getting punched twice without armor, see post#4, etc. yet at the same time they are labelled LRP for adhering to how someone would reasonably act in such setting.
    What it means what I said was that just because getting run over by a tank does little damage in game does not mean you should be doing it. It only does a little damage because showing you getting effectivly gibbed by a tank crushing you under it tread sucks so it is shown as in game being no damage but IC no sane man would want to be ran over.

Also take note the tank can actually give you bone break or even IB if ran over too much so it ain't harmless. Also FF via slugs and such had their chance to bone break nerfed significantly as devs realized going back to medical after some baldy shot you up sucks thought can still break or remove limbs so be careful.