Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fleshing Out Mutators

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Lets go with this logic: Armor mutator is inferior to health mutator and nobody besides Rav/Queen should take it, becouse fire ignores any armor, so it's useless. Doesn't matter that rest of marines uses bullets, or explosives, in the situation of marine using flamer you are useless as alien with armor so nobody should take it.

Right?

I know who could use that kind of "off-weed" healing mutator: Lurker/runner. Those two are already designed mainly to harass small groups of marines behind their lines, where weeds are not existant.

Admit, just admit you love the idea of straight boosts and you hate when something isn't just making you better in any kind of situation.
    its not the same thing as one mutator being worse than the other because you can take multiple mutators so you can have armor and health if you want.

You arent understanding what im describing here. Imagine with me you are on big red. You have pushed into the caves with 3 squads 1 from eva, 1 from lambda and 1 from the cave entrances. You are pushing into the caves and winning the xenos are falling back. You have build cades to keep the xenos from running around all over the place. The queen recalls the lurkers to help fight. You have offweed healing and it doesnt let you heal on weeds. How are you supposed to do anything to help defend the queen?

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    its not the same thing as one mutator being worse than the other because you can take multiple mutators so you can have armor and health if you want.

You arent understanding what im describing here. Imagine with me you are on big red. You have pushed into the caves with 3 squads 1 from eva, 1 from lambda and 1 from the cave entrances. You are pushing into the caves and winning the xenos are falling back. You have build cades to keep the xenos from running around all over the place. The queen recalls the lurkers to help fight. You have offweed healing and it doesnt let you heal on weeds. How are you supposed to do anything to help defend the queen?
    But if you could take only one: Armor, or HP. What would you take? REEE! ARMOR IS INFERIOR! What I will do when marine with flamer will show up!?

In this situation Hive is cornered. Nothing will help them, besides big amout of FF. But lets just say it's fair fight and that one lurker would make a change. Why isn't he harassing backlines? Marines still have to come on foot to the caves, so it's the perfect opportunity for lurker to take some of the pressure off hive. Mature/elder lurker can easly sneak/run past a squad of marines. He would make more good for the hive by attacking the backlines, that fighting on the front.

Even despite all of that: You described one situation. In that situation this sidegrade is indeed worse, but imagine other situation:
    Hive was pushed to the caves and there is heavy fighting. Every drone and its evolutions are helping in defence. Queen orders you as a lurker to harass backlines, becouse marines are getting hurt and they can't evac everyone by medevac. How you are supposed to harass backlines, when there are no weeds around (marines cleared them as they do)? You could take one/two/three marines evacuating, but your wounds would force you to return to caves, to heal.

In this situation, that mutator is better than not having it. Isn't it?

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But if you could take only one: Armor, or HP. What would you take? REEE! ARMOR IS INFERIOR! What I will do when marine with flamer will show up!?

In this situation Hive is cornered. Nothing will help them, besides big amout of FF. But lets just say it's fair fight and that one lurker would make a change. Why isn't he harassing backlines? Marines still have to come on foot to the caves, so it's the perfect opportunity for lurker to take some of the pressure off hive. Mature/elder lurker can easly sneak/run past a squad of marines. He would make more good for the hive by attacking the backlines, that fighting on the front.

Even despite all of that: You described one situation. In that situation this sidegrade is indeed worse, but imagine other situation:
    Hive was pushed to the caves and there is heavy fighting. Every drone and its evolutions are helping in defence. Queen orders you as a lurker to harass backlines, becouse marines are getting hurt and they can't evac everyone by medevac. How you are supposed to harass backlines, when there are no weeds around (marines cleared them as they do)? You could take one/two/three marines evacuating, but your wounds would force you to return to caves, to heal.

In this situation, that mutator is better than not having it. Isn't it?
    What I described happens alot though. Thats why I would never pick that mutator if it made it where I couldnt heal on weeds. Im not saying its unviable to harrass with its just not viable because you cant help defend the queen.

Also a very common order is "No one leaves the caves everyone fight them in the caves"
    Last edited by MasterShakeEZ; 01-31-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    What I described happens alot though. Thats why I would never pick that mutator if it made it where I couldnt heal on weeds. Im not saying its unviable to harrass with its just not viable because you cant help defend the queen.
    You just can't do one thing as effectively as you could without it, but you can do something else more effectively as you couldn't without it...
    Strange... It almost sounds like...

S I D E G R A D E = Better in one situation, worse in other in comparsion to "Stock" (without mutators at all).
    I don't think that three squads, each comming from other direction, each locking down xenos without way to escape, is that common. But marines building small outpost in the middle of colony... Like Hydro... Happens every LV round. How often the hydro road and nearby areas are covered in weeds? Nearly never, becouse you can't plant weed on "grass" and marines clear the road from any black shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought up some mutators during a long drive based on the system I proposed earlier (different mutators available at different ages, cannot go back and choose a previous ages' mutator; so you can only ever get one mutator out of a specific age bracket). Way I envision it T2s would share some mutators with its T1 but not all, e.g. Lurkers might have Cloak instead of Pounce mutators while Spitters might have Acid Spit instead of Neurotoxic Spit mutators.

Young Runner

Sharpened Claws - increases melee damage.
    Resilience - increases health and critical bleedout time.
    Beast of Burden - increases pulling speed.

Mature Runner

Pain Disher - increases the amount of pain your melee attacks inflict.
    Redundant Neural Ganglia - increases stun recovery.
    Reactive Leg Musculature - increases Pounce range.

Elder Runner

Armour-Piercing Claws - melee attacks ignore a portion of the target's armour.
    Self-Sufficient Metabolism - regenerates health and plasma when not standing on weeds.
    Pouncing Hold - Pouncing on enemies or prone/critical allies automatically grabs them.

Ancient Runner

Berserker - melee attacks on prone enemies slightly increases the duration they remain prone for (not enough to stunlock by itself).
    Devourer - devouring is faster, and having a devoured target periodically restores your health and plasma; stacking with other sources of regeneration.
    Abductor - Pouncing while grabbing a prone enemy or prone/critical ally brings the target with you and does not break grab.

Young Sentinel

Acid-Tipped Claws - deals extra melee damage as Burn damage.
    Expanded Plasma Sacs - increases plasma pool and regeneration.
    Beast of Burden - increases pulling speed.

Mature Sentinel

Nest Guardian - armour, melee damage, movement speed, health regeneration and plasma regeneration increases while within range of a resin nest with a live, impregnated host.
    Concentrated Acid - Corrosive Acid is more potent.
    Agonising Neurotoxin - Neurotoxic Spit inflicts temporary pain on hit.

Elder Sentinel

Armour-Piercing Claws - melee attacks ignore a portion of the target's armour.
    Plasma Overflow - Corrosive Acid is more potent and Neurotoxic Spit keeps enemies prone for longer when Plasma levels are high. Stacks with Concentrated Acid.
    Neurotoxic Touch - grabbing a prone enemy keeps them prone for longer. Effect applies only once until the target stands up.

Ancient Sentinel

Hive Guardian - armour, melee damage, movement speed, health regeneration and plasma regeneration increases while standing on weeds. Stacks with Nest Guardian.
    Devourer - devouring is faster, and having a devoured target periodically restores your health and plasma; stacking with other sources of regeneration.
    Afflictor - Neurotoxic Spit deals a small amount of eye (if targeting head/eyes/mouth) and brain damage on hit.
    Last edited by That Happy Cat; 02-01-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double post please ignore.
    Last edited by That Happy Cat; 02-01-2019 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Double post please ignore.