Kineem - Synthetic Application

Synthetic Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    Kineem

Marine Name
    Chance Warden, William Strangelove

Name/Designation of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Duke

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Yes. I've read over them numerous times.

Synthetic Character Story
    A soft hum resonates within the cryochamber as a kneeling Duke checks the internals of the final cryopod. Duke reads a temperature listed on a valve and deems it satisfactory for long term cryosleep then rises to his feet and speaks into the command headset with a deep, bassy voice. "Captain Jackson, sir. I have completed my mission. The cryopods are all fully functional and the generators are sufficiently repaired for travel. I would like to request time off to interact with the marines, sir."

He spins on his heels and takes a look around the room. A good portion of the cryopods were currently in usage, and most of the enlisted were on their way to cryo or were already cryo'd. A quick check of the time told him there was only twenty two minutes before mandatory curfew was enforced and the stragglers were ordered into cryosleep in preparation for the next operation.

His headset comes to life and speaks into his ear. Jackson huffs exasperatedly and speaks with exhaustion evident in his voice. "Go ahead Duke, do whatever you want. When the marines go to cryosleep I want you to double check the ship to repair any damaged property, though."

"Understood, sir! I will do as ordered." Duke strolls down the halls of the Almayer, nodding politely to a doctor as they walk by each other. He pulls a cigar and zippo out of his vest and lights the cigar, gingerly putting it up to his lips. As he nears his destination he can faintly hear the sound of laughter through the walls.

Rest and Relaxation was a wild den, just as it was at the end of nearly every operation. The air was thick with smoke and some of it wafts out of the room when Duke opens the door and takes a look inside. It was crowded with marines. Bottles of alcohol, shotglasses, ashtrays, and cigarette cartons were scattered on tables and littered the floor. There weren't enough seats for all the marines and some of them stood around leaning against the walls and talking to each other, but everyone was jovial and having a good time.

The largest group of marines were gathered around a table playing blackjack, either playing or just watching, with only one empty seat at the table. A Charlie marine walks past Duke stomping with an aggravated look on his face, though Duke paid the marine no attention. Laughter and murmurs of a conversation that is only barely caught let Duke know the Charlie thought the dealer was a cheating bastard.

The dealer with a smug grin on his face stops shuffling the cards to look at Duke as he walks into the room. He exclaims to everybody "Hey, look who it is! It's the fucking meathead synth!"

Most of the marines turn to watch the synthetic in question as he pulls out his ID card then inserts it into the ATM. With his back turned to everyone the synthetic pulls the cigar out his mouth for a second. "None of you bastards steal that seat! I want to go for a few hands." Some of the men at the table cheer, and a Delta pulls the seat out for Duke. The dealer smirks as he focuses shuffling the deck.

The Delta pours himself a shot and downs it. He groans loudly as the alcohol goes down his throat, then addresses Duke with a smile on his face and slurs in his speech. "I was wondering when you would show, man, it's nearly time for cryo. Is the fucking hardass Captain makin' you work 'round the clock again?"

"Somebody has to do it. I do not get exhausted. Captain Jackson is a good man; he could be ordering one of the techies to do maintenance instead of me." Duke sits down at the table and slaps two hundred dollars down, the dealer reaching over and quietly putting it into the rest of the pot. "If you want me around more, stop trashing the ship. R&R is always a mess before the day is over, and the rest of the ship does not look much better." To prove his point he grabs an empty cigarette carton left on the ground and crushes it between his palms, throwing it into disposals.

The dealer passes out the cards to everyone at the table, giving Duke the last two cards. Duke takes a look at his hand; a six of hearts and a three of clubs. The dealer interjects himself in the conversation with a snicker. "Man, it's hard to take that seriously. Ya can't say the Captain's a 'good guy' because he orders you to do your job when he told us to kill the first colonists that we saw because they were armed." The dealer turns to Duke and catches his brooding look. He doesn't shy away from the glare and locks eyes with the synthetic.

"The colonists have been getting more and more rowdy on almost every world. It is hard to tell friend from foe down there. You cannot blame Captain Jackson for wanting to ensure that you return to your family alive and well." Duke calmly states. He leans back into his seat, shifting the cigar around in his lips a tad bit as he does. "Hit me."

The dealer passes Duke another card. He shrugs his shoulders and turns away from Duke to pass out another set of cards again. "Maybe. But I can blame him for doing it even when we know there has never been a sign of rebellion on this colony." Duke glances at the card while the dealer talks. Five of spades. After the dealer passes the cards out to everyone at the table, he turns to Duke once more before he starts to talk. "It's behavior like this that makes the colonists angry in the first place, after all. Ya think he'd be more careful in how he presents the USCM to everyone. We just keep forcing the colonists to deal with more and more fuckin' shit. Can ya really blame them for getting 'rowdy', you retarded meathead?"

Duke's expression forms into a grimace. He raises his left hand and holds it in front of himself. "Stop. The USCM has never done anything and will never do anything to the colonists to warrant disgruntled behavior, worker strikes, or armed conflict. The CLF extremists are irrational and their actions far more sickening than anything the USCM has done." The dealer doesn't wait for Duke to take his turn.

"I'll stop, but if you don't want to keep playing then you should leave." The smirk on the dealer's face transforms into a smug grin as he skips the synthetic's turn. The highest hand at the table was a solid twenty, beating out Duke's fourteen with ease, and the dealer hands the pot to the winning marine.

Duke takes a moment to look at the men participating at the table. They glanced uncomfortably between him and the dealer, having been quietly listening to the two men have a thinly veiled argument for a few minutes. The jovial atmosphere Duke noted earlier when he first stepped into R&R had seemed to die down. Duke pushes his seat back and gets to his feet, aloofly stating "I was not going to continue playing even if you allowed me to. I will not play with a CLF sympathizer."

Duke presses the tip of his cigar into an ashtray to put it out and leaves the butt there. He silently strolls out of the smoke filled room while the marines watch, briefly turning around to say "Do not slander the USCM again." before closing the door shut and continuing to walk down the hall.

Duke turns his headset on when he rounds the corner to the upper deck ladders. "Captain Jackson, sir. There's a marine I would like to report for potential sedition."

How do you intend to play your Synth?
    Built in 2071, six years after Generation 2 Synthetics were first mass commissioned by the USCM for usage aboard their vast fleet, the designers at Weyland-Yutani built synthetics with the knowledge that they would serve primarily on USCM vessels. Duke, one of these many early synthetics, has been built in the image of famous action movie actors like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone. Exceptionally tall and greatly muscled with strong masculine facial features, his physical appearance is reminiscent of these old heroes.

The designers of Duke built him with the idea that he would appeal to the enlisted marines, so they would feel comfortable serving with him aboard any and all vessels. Well worn yet still very functional, he has seen numerous operations and has served for over fifty years. The scars on his synthetic skin were not at all hard earned, but they adequately show his years of service aboard the USCM and USCM-allied vessels.

Decommissioned from service during a period of inactivity from 2140 to 2178, the Cristobal Massacre and sharp rise of colonist rebellions resulted in the USCM reintroducing the patriotic synthetic to active service aboard the USS Almayer while it was undergoing a Block 78A retrofit.

Duke mimics action movie personalities; cold, tough and ready to spew one-liners and anti-terrorist propaganda. Unquestioningly loyal to the USCM, he goes above and beyond, vehemently defending the reputation of the USCM against any and all perceived threats whether they are real or not. He treats the brass with respect and addresses them by rank.

He is the embodiment of the "patriotic soldier" in a time where morale is at an all-time low, colonist rebellions rampant and tensions with the UPP high.

How familiar are you with support roles? (ie; Medical, MT, Science, SO)
    I'm skilled at all fields. Medical, engineering, requisitions, or command; you ask me to do something, and it will be done quickly and efficiently. I've intentionally withheld my application until I was certain I knew just about everything in every role, and as a result I am comfortable in any position I can be put into.

Why should we whitelist you?
    I'm a decent member of the community that doesn't grief or harass others. I've always enjoyed roleplay and while I do have my moments of silliness, I always attempt to roleplay where possible. Both my marine characters have thought out backstories purely because I enjoy roleplay. If I was accepted, there is no doubt that I would help add or enhance roleplay in rounds that I was a part of and make rounds more entertaining for the people I interact with.

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason?
    No.

Are you currently banned from any other servers and if so, why?
    I am not banned from any other server.

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About time you pink bearded bastard,

Story is great, you're a reliable player.
    + robust points

+1 from me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1

Do I really need to say anything more? The story is exceptional, it's really well done and very original. It portrays the synthetic accurately and actually feels good to read. It kept me interested too.

The player OOCly is swell and a pleasure to talk to. This app checks all my boxes.

nukem time
    Resident ex-punished Junior Developer and Coder, and ex three-time member of the Yautja Council, two-time member of the Synth Council.

See with your eyes, my army of flies, when no one's alive...

Synthetic Council Member Jakkkk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duke pushes his seat back and gets to his feet, aloofly stating "I was not going to continue playing even if you allowed me to. I will not play with a CLF sympathizer."

Why does Duke react this way?
    Synthetic Senator

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinks I liked about this app
    -Quality App
    -Fashionable beard
    -Well known and respected

Things I didn't like
    -Not italian

In summary, +1.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattAtlas View Post
    +1

Do I really need to say anything more? The story is exceptional, it's really well done and very original. It portrays the synthetic accurately and actually feels good to read. It kept me interested too.

The player OOCly is swell and a pleasure to talk to. This app checks all my boxes.

nukem time
    Cool ass name, cool ass quirk and the above.

Not much to be said. +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakkkk View Post
    Duke pushes his seat back and gets to his feet, aloofly stating "I was not going to continue playing even if you allowed me to. I will not play with a CLF sympathizer."

Why does Duke react this way?
    For two reasons.

The first reason is that he notices the displeasure of the marines nearby. He, "takes a moment to look at the men participating at the table", and decides to leave when he notices their displeasure before the situation can further escalate.

The second reason is that Duke does not want to be around a marine who is actively supporting the CLF's behavior by claiming their actions are reasonable, due to his quirk. Duke is programmed not to support or even entertain the possibility of them being correct, and to try to even suggest that they are in ANY way justified is not something he will tolerate. He sees it in a very black and white fashion. The USCM is right, and the CLF are wrong.

There is no middle ground.
    Chance Warden

Duke the Synthetic, Karr'Thesh the Yautja
    ex-synth councilman and retired moderator

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you want to be a synth?
    Synthetic Senator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakkkk View Post
    Why do you want to be a synth?
    I view synthetic as a role that presents interesting roleplay scenarios. As all whitelisted roles are expected to be HRP, more people will be likely to reciprocate or attempt to start roleplay with me if I were playing synthetic simply because of the reputation whitelisted roles have in the community.

I like synthetics as a concept; I like the idea of a being that is purely logical, yet simultaneously and ironically illogical as he attempts to refute truthful claims made against the USCM while turning a blind eye to the suffering of colonists. Tying into my first point, this discrepancy is an interesting concept that I think will be fun to roleplay and would be entertaining to watch during HvH rounds.

I also want the whitelist due to its unique mechanical perspective. I've always been bothered by the inability to do anything I want to because of the skill system, and while support roles don't fully have this issue, they're all incapable of doing something. Whether it be engineering, requisitions, command, or medical, they're all locked out of some kind of task. Synthetics are free. Support roles are also primarily shipside roles, yet I enjoy being planetside more than I enjoy being shipside, and synthetics are likely to be deployed to the colony to assist the operation in some way.
    Chance Warden

Duke the Synthetic, Karr'Thesh the Yautja
    ex-synth councilman and retired moderator

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank god you said "because I like them", I'm always bothered by people who answer that question like they're a salesman. People play synth not to "open more RP opportunities" or "make the server better", they play synth because they like it and it's fun.

You've cleared up all of my concerns rather well and I appreciate that, as far as the story goes, I think Duke acts way too much like a human would but I'm self aware enough to realize that I always say that about certain quirks. Also, "Built in 2071, six years after Generation 2 Synthetics were first mass commissioned by the USCM for usage aboard their vast fleet, the designers at Weyland-Yutani built synthetics with the knowledge that they would serve primarily on USCM vessels." I'm currently making a lore document about synthetics and their origins/timeline, and this statement contradicts that, so this is cool for now but when the document gets released be sure to remember the year change.

You're a nice person OOC and IC, I'm well aware of your support competence, and Chance Warden is a staple among the CM community.

+1.
    Synthetic Senator