User Tag List

View Poll Results: is the dev team doing a good job?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

23 44.23%
  • Yes

15 28.85%
  • Can they just fucking get their routers unplugged?

8 15.38%
  • They're the second coming of valve

6 11.54%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: is the dev team doing a good job?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spriters just exist. no one really mentions them but they're good at what they do
    Chaotic puppet-master from hell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I got no non-spergy complaints regarding the sptires, they're solid overrall......

THE WEYLAND YUTANI COMMANDO HELMET DOES NOT LOOK LIKE THAT AAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here comes I! The Schrodinger's spriter dev. Simultaneously a dev and not dev, depending when and how you will open that box of indefinite 2 weeks of test.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kooarbiter View Post
    hmm ah yes another "boo bad devs" post. Don't give people an outlet to verbally diahreea on devs, good or bad they don't need it, give specific constructive critisism or specifically ask for how people think things could be improved, rather than an anonymous poll that's probably just gonna end up killing devteam's vibes.
    Here's the issue, since when have I showed any preference to the idea that the devs are shit? It's a fucking poll. I don't get people to vote on it. And if you want to explore complex themes, motives, ideas that boggles the mind you're more then welcome to do so. I'm sorry if a dev is saddened, angried, or downright depressed by a poll. But afterall it is a factual statement on what people's opinions are.

I, personally. Am impartial, some things could be done better, some things could be done worse. But saying "noooo don't diss the devs, we want only concise and proper criticism that we'll never read" is what gets more people to sway to the side of hating devs, when you aren't allowed to make a simple opinion input you isolate a large amount of people who don't really want to make a large article on why the dev team needs improvement.

I'm nearly 100% sure, if someone said "dev team is doing a good job" most people would just say "oh well yeah, fair enough" instead of acting all inquisitive and going "Well what do you like about the dev team? Your opinion on x, x and x, oh and what about this specific part of the dev team, how about them? Oh we've had these ideas could you possib..." It isolates the pool of polling down to it's more extreme hinges. But when someone is in slight opposition to the dev team and says "dev team is doing a bad job" all these questioning aspects are brought to hand.

Like seriously, just ask the people who are discomforted if you want to get the larger story.

Sorry for my combative attitude in this reply by the way, i've had too much salt for dinner. And maybe because your reply was so off .
    "Come on chaps! Why just dust off the OB flames it'll create. Nothing the USCM can't handle!"
    Currently playing as a sublimely gentlemanly British chap: Warris 'Haig' Fernsby

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfan1815 View Post
    Here's the issue, since when have I showed any preference to the idea that the devs are shit? It's a fucking poll. I don't get people to vote on it. And if you want to explore complex themes, motives, ideas that boggles the mind you're more then welcome to do so. I'm sorry if a dev is saddened, angried, or downright depressed by a poll. But afterall it is a factual statement on what people's opinions are.

I, personally. Am impartial, some things could be done better, some things could be done worse. But saying "noooo don't diss the devs, we want only concise and proper criticism that we'll never read" is what gets more people to sway to the side of hating devs, when you aren't allowed to make a simple opinion input you isolate a large amount of people who don't really want to make a large article on why the dev team needs improvement.

I'm nearly 100% sure, if someone said "dev team is doing a good job" most people would just say "oh well yeah, fair enough" instead of acting all inquisitive and going "Well what do you like about the dev team? Your opinion on x, x and x, oh and what about this specific part of the dev team, how about them? Oh we've had these ideas could you possib..." It isolates the pool of polling down to it's more extreme hinges. But when someone is in slight opposition to the dev team and says "dev team is doing a bad job" all these questioning aspects are brought to hand.

Like seriously, just ask the people who are discomforted if you want to get the larger story.

Sorry for my combative attitude in this reply by the way, i've had too much salt for dinner. And maybe because your reply was so off .
    so uh, I still believe what i wrote in the post essentially, but I'll be honest I don't recall why i came into it with such an assumption or with such vigor, not to make excuses like a weasel but I've had a bad fever that's been messing with my head a bit, and I was probably tired, sorry for being a salty sally though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kooarbiter View Post
    so uh, I still believe what i wrote in the post essentially, but I'll be honest I don't recall why i came into it with such an assumption or with such vigor, not to make excuses like a weasel but I've had a bad fever that's been messing with my head a bit, and I was probably tired, sorry for being a salty sally though
    It's fine. Just uh, don't drink & forum post
    "Come on chaps! Why just dust off the OB flames it'll create. Nothing the USCM can't handle!"
    Currently playing as a sublimely gentlemanly British chap: Warris 'Haig' Fernsby

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will look forward to the poll.
    Last edited by Warfan1815; 09-28-2020 at 01:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A heavily qualified "no" on my part, since CM being a voluntary project already makes their work amazing as is.

Individually, each dev is doing a supreme job. The sprites are professional quality, the coders constantly surprise me with what they pull off given the utter nightmare that is Byond and CM's legacy code, and mappers are actively making and improving maps to better support gameplay. Top tier work, I love you all for what you do.

However, I am more concerned about how these amazing people operate as a team. Yes there is leadership, but from my perspective as an outsider it sometimes appears that there is no unified vision for the game. Each dev seems to do what they want. As voluntary contributors they should! But this means that some aspects of CM have become neglected and have stagnated, including the primary gameplay loop.

CM is nominally an RP-focused team-deathmatch game, but we don't really see much in the way of mechanics that support and enhance RP. Worse, combat has remained clunky and suffers from balance issues. The apparent addiction to stuns, which completely strips player agency, makes combat extremely swingy in a manner that frustrates all but the top percent of players. The primary loops for support roles have also long suffered. Requisitions remains firmly entrapped as an inferior derivative of Cargo department (as most crates are never bought). Medical largely remains dependent on magical chemicals instead of physically treating injuries. Engineering and piloting loops have also remain painfully shallow.

Most of these issues would require the coordinated time and attention of multiple devs to properly rework, which one can't really expect from a team of volunteers. I therefore believe that as a team, the devs cannot reliably address these kinds of major issues. This isn't fundamentally a good or bad thing, it is the natural consequence of this type of project. To reiterate, I believe that individually the devs are doing an amazing job. Its just that they shouldn't be expected to operate on the same level as a team.
    Last edited by Outcast Seer; 09-28-2020 at 04:47 PM.
    Luca Jagemann, the cynical colonial with the prescription glasses.

Ancient Synth Williams, on another rescue mission in Brazil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont like the direction the game going since permanest / combat hugger remooval / moba / maturity remooval...
    ... now i see devs want to make ''lane'' gameplay... put objectives in ''lane'' pattern... wich would be one more step in the wrong direction....
    oh well...

nothing personal against the devs.

i also dont really like that tread, its a pretty toxic poll lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outcast Seer View Post

CM is nominally an RP-focused team-deathmatch game, but we don't really see much in the way of mechanics that support and enhance RP.
    So same as 2018 CM.

Worse, combat has remained clunky and suffers from balance issues. The apparent addiction to stuns, which completely strips player agency, makes combat extremely swingy in a manner that frustrates all but the top percent of players.
    So same as 2018 CM.

Requisitions remains firmly entrapped as an inferior derivative of Cargo department (as most crates are never bought). Medical largely remains dependent on magical chemicals instead of physically treating injuries. Engineering and piloting loops have also remain painfully shallow.
    So same as 2018 CM.

People sure love to complain about the dev direction and how it kills RP but it was never a game that was generally developed for that past the initial phase. Want an example?

MOBA xenos are brought up a lot. That devs made the game like a moba. You know what was added in late 2018, which is still considered the golden age of CM?

Mutators.

SS13 in general was never designed as roleplaying game, it's something people brought in on their own. Hell, you could make an argument about round length but even back then rounds were only extended by first contact rules and shitty ass stalemates.

It's just so fucking tiring to read these endless, pointless discussions, driven by people who don't know what drives RP in SS13, people who blame everything on others and simply choose to entrench themselves in their mindset. It's the equivalent of playing dnd, NOT roleplaying and blaming the system/GM. Entitled and ignorant. And as a sidenote, I think both staff and the players are more to blame here than the devs.

But instead of having yet another useless forum thread full of shitflinging, how about the people who feel opinionated on this topic propose how devs could encourage RP? Save for round time obviously.