Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SASOP55 - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal InformationByond ID?
    SASOP55

Player Name You Use Most?
    Anders Thomasen

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    N/A

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC+10

What is your discord username and handle?
    SASOP55#4909

Basic Questions & StoryWhat do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The job of a commander is to effectively manage the efforts of the USCM players with the ultimate goal of victory whilst allowing for players to have fun. The Commanding Officer does this from the CIC, closely monitoring the four squadrons, using the Staff Officers as Liasons between the Squad Marines and Command. The CO is the one who makes the tough decisions, when to attack, when to retreat, when to use the expendable assets onboard. Finally the CO is responsible for the ship and its crew. A CO should never allow an Operational ship to fall into hostile hands, a CO should never be first to leave the ship, if at all.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    I want to be a Commanding Officer because I think it is a role that requires the most role play. I want to be a CO because the role has the most impact on the outcome of a round. I want to be CO because I want to challenge myself with herding the ungas into a formidable force.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    I could bring a cool headed, mostly-Honorable, logical, tactical thinker to the whitelist thus expanding the roster of CO's.

How will your Commanding Officer behave? Describe their character.
    Captain Anders Thomasen will act calmly and cautiously. He will prefer precision to brute force and attempt to use pre-planned tactics and contingencies rather than Ungaballs if possible. Thomasen is a good officer, cares for those under him, values the concerns and opinions of his troops though once a plan is set in motion it will be difficult to get him to change it. Thomasen is tolerant of the marines tomfoolery but will not tolerate serious crimes which will be dealt with by the book. He is wary of good fortune and fears traps, hence the cautious attitude.

Name and briefly describe your Commanding Officer's own ship.
    USS Costaguana
    Conestoga Class Frigate/Transport
    The Costaguana is an older vessel in the fleet. Usually relegated to younger, less experienced crews. Many young officers have found themselves posted to this vessel as a way of gaining experience before taking on roles in more combat active vessels. Nonetheless the Costaguana patrols space around the Solomons (Alpha Caeli) and regularly encounters pirates and other less than legal operations. Captain Thomasen distinguished himself whilst commanding the Costaguana during such counter-piracy operations. In conclusion the Costaguana is an aging vessel that is used as a way of gaining experience before taking on more active/important postings.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    Anders Thomasen joined the USCM a few years after the Annexation of the nominally independent colony world of Novastralia by the United Americas. Initially joining as a rank and file marine, he was picked up on by a scout recruiting for the officer academy. Thus Thomasen attended West Point where he was bullied by other cadets for his colonial upbringing and thick Novastralian (Space Aussie) accent. Thomasen became romantically involved with another cadet resulting in the birth of his Son, Alex Thomasen-Grey. This created a small scandal at West Point which resulted with Thomasen being posted to a backwater outpost. The freshly commissioned 2nd Lieutenant made the most of this posting, over the course of a year he converted the outpost from a place of exile to the shining standard of a marine garrison. This was picked up on by Colonel Davidson when one of his expeditions stopped by. Thomasen was promoted to 1st Lieutenant and joined the USS Verloc as a Staff Officer eventually participating in the counter insurgency operations on Lebanon II. Thomasen gained a reputation as an effective officer and was soon made the Verloc's Executive officer after the promotion of the former XO. Two years later the Verloc was involved in an incident on LV-1201 involving combat against both XX-121 P. Praepotens and the Predators. Thomasen was later promoted to the rank of Captain and given command of the USS Costaguana after the untimely death of its former commander. Thomasen applied his usual tactics of converting the vessel to riase the crew standards within the corps. Eventually after a few years of hunting pirates, he would be transferred to command the USS Almayer. Before he could apply his usual process, the Almayer would be called to respond to a distress signal. This mission could make.... or break his career, maybe even his life.

ExperienceHow experienced are you with the position of a Squad Leader (SL)?
    I am fairly well experienced with the role of Squad Leader. I mostly lead Delta squad which is generally charging head first into the fray. However I have also commanded the other squads from time to time.

How experienced are you with the position of a Staff Officer (SO)?
    I have frequently played SO and are familiar with the mechanics and requirements.

How experienced are you with the position of a Department Head?
    I have frequently played CMP, though I havent really played much as RO and CMO.

How experienced are you with the position of the Executive Officer (XO)?
    I have played XO plenty of times, most of the time without a CO.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)?
    I am familiar with Marine Law and SOP.

ScenariosWhen do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used? List some examples of scenarios in which a battlefield execution would be correctly used.
    A battlefield Execution should only occur if the risks of keeping a dangerous person in the brig outweigh the gains. 9 times out of ten a BE will not be required. A scenario where a BE may be required might be a mass murderer or a saboteur who cannot be gleaned for information.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner? What are some examples of crimes you would pardon, and those you would not?
    Pardons can only occur when:
    A) the prisoner was actually innocent.
    B) it is a minor crime and the prisoner is required on the frontlines.
    C) if the prisoner can provide intel/thing that outweighs the effect of their crime.

What is your routine after starting the round as either a Staff Officer or Executive Officer? Assume you joined round-start and are inside your quarters.
    If I am XO, I check to see if we have a captain. If we do, I help the captain come up with a battleplan and follow their orders. If no captain is present I take the command tablet from the captains quarters, then come up with a battleplan, brief my officers on their roles within the battle plan, then I announce Briefing time and planned launch time, then I go to deliver the Briefing to the marines.

How would you handle insubordinate departments? State what you would do for each department if they were insubordinate.
    I would first attempt to ascertain the level of insubordination and whether it has a valid reason. If no valid reason can be found and the department refuses to cooperate I have the Military Police (or whoever else is aboard the ship if the MPs are rebelling) arrest the department head and appoint an appropriate officer to take control of said department.

How would you handle an understaffed CIC? What if you and the XO are the only available CIC crew?
    I would split control of the squads between myself and the XO. I would take charge of the squads undertaking the most crucial objectives and leave the FOB squad and any other supporting squad to the XO. I will attempt to split time between each squad under my direct control and manually call in OBs.

What would you do if you were deployed and a marine told you they were going to desert the operation?
    I would first give the marine a chance to recant their statement. Then depending on the situation I would either attempt to arrest them then and there if the situation permits OR contact the MPs and order them to issue an arrest warrant, there are better things for the CO to worry about than deserters.

ConfirmationsDo you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello! I would provide a more detailed response to your application but I am currently without reliable internet, so I'll keep this brief.

First, I don't think I've seen you as XO before. I do vaguely recall your name so I think I've seen you in other roles, but you need to get more recognition in your ability to lead an operation.

Additionally, I'm sorry, but your pardon and BE answers are either far too basic or limited, or in the case of pardons are flat out wrong.

C) if the prisoner can provide intel/thing that outweighs the effect of their crime.
    Literally none of this is correct and I'm not sure where you got this from.

Pardons are not used for people who are innocent of a crime, or if the wrong charge was placed. That's an appeal.

Pardons are for all intents and purposes, "You have committed a minor or major crime that you are guilty of. However, your presence or skills are needed urgently enough that I am willing to release you, accepting the consequences if you offend again".

Your BE answer is acceptable in the sense of what you find appropriate for a BE but has very few examples and is otherwise basic.

Also, with your story, marines have not made canonical contact or have knowledge of predators yet.

I'll leave this as a -1 for now, as I don't think you fully understand the tools specific to the CO.
    Anna "High-Toss" Stall

I'm a manager now
    I manage moods
    B)

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for applying.

For your play-time, you XOed under myself today. Nothing to note. You were in the complete background for most of that operation I feel. Good XOs take initiative but I have nothing to say otherwise. In general though I haven't seen you in other command positions.

The application itself I feel is very flawed, the effort is a bit absent, and it seems to be lacking proof-reading and contains many spelling errors - not that I want to be a stickler over that, especially if English is your second language - but bad spelling sub-consciously undermines your image.

My biggest problem with this is that a lot of essential things about your answers are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SASOP55 View Post
    A battlefield Execution should only occur if the risks of keeping a dangerous person in the brig outweigh the gains. 9 times out of ten a BE will not be required. A scenario where a BE may be required might be a mass murderer or a saboteur who cannot be gleaned for information.
    You are un-able to BE someone in custody unless extenuating circumstances make a regular execution impossible. Your general response to this too is just poorly worded.

This is wrong for the reasons stated above by SomeNerd.

I would first give the marine a chance to recant their statement. Then depending on the situation I would either attempt to arrest them then and there if the situation permits OR contact the MPs and order them to issue an arrest warrant, there are better things for the CO to worry about than deserters.
    Desertion is a capital crime. Not only will you find it practically impossible to arrest a deserting marine while you're deployed, the MPs would not be able to go planet-side outside of the secured FOB to detain the person in question.

When it comes to these answers, you'd be able to find them by simply looking through the accepted CO applications. To me this tells me you didn't think (or care enough) to see what those who got their WL approved had to say.

I highly suggest withdrawing this application and coming back when you have a lot more experience with playing MP and understanding ML. I don't doubt you have the chops to make a good CO in the future, and you are a solid RPer, but you lack some very necessary knowledge and skills. If you want to have even a chance of getting your WL app off the ground you need to have the basics. Remember you can always contact the Commodores, WLed COs, or post in #whitelist-app-help to proof-read your application. When people see you take the initiative to get feedback it tells people you want to improve and you want this WL for more than vapid reasons.

-1, but I think if you take the time to read marine law, play more relevant roles (XO, SO, SL, MP, Dep. heads) and come back in a month you'll have a good shot. Good luck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Evening SASOP55 , after reading your application their are a few points I have to make:

This is incorrect, I know Somenerd already brought this up so I will leave it at that.

You say you haven't played CMO nor RO, I implore you to dive into these roles. Handling Medbay and Req gives you a better grasp on how they operate and can give you an idea on expectations.

Lastly, your Story is to short. It fits my tablets screen. It gives me no idea of how you intend to play with your CO and no dialogue, more of a summary of how your CO climbed the ranks. Then there is the Predator issue, USCM is not aware of predators yet.

All these points are things to improve on. -1 utilize the Whitelist app help on Discord or DM me if you need help.
    Mentor 1st Mar, 2020 - 11th Apr, 2020
    Trial Moderator 11th Apr, 2020 - 23rd Apr, 2020
    Moderator 23rd Apr, 2020 - 31st Aug, 2020
    Senior Moderator 31st Aug, 2020 - 8th Oct, 2020
    Trial Administrator 8th Oct, 2020 - 6th Nov, 2020
    Administrator 6th Nov, 2020 - 21st Feb, 2021
    Moderator Manager 21st Feb, 2021 - 11th Jul, 2021
    Administrator Manager 11th Jul, 2021 - 8th Aug, 2021

Administrator 12th Oct, 2022 - Present

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone said it. Take some time to grind command and re-read marine law for a month or two.

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to echo what others have said. Make sure to review other applications before applying, and always ask for help. Marine law is also very important.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Developer & CO Senator (Major General) naut's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your pardon answer's proven to be incorrect, I find your story to be rather lacking in content and descriptiveness, and, combined with a bunch of other points made by the others here it really puts your app against the odds.

I hope you read up on Marine Law more and its relevant stuff - maybe consider playing MP as well more often. As a CO you're expected to handle the police side of things a lot, and if you don't know how to apply the law properly you could very well end up behind those same cell walls.

I'll give a -1 on this app, unfortunately. Read up on the criticisms you were given and make sure you know how the system works.
    Major General / Colonel Samantha 'Sammy' Maverick
    Colonel Chris 'Topher' Lawson
    Synthetic Tara

CO Senator (as of 3-19-21)
    ̶D̶e̶v̶e̶l̶o̶p̶e̶r̶ Maintainer (as of of 3-23-21)

I'm just someone trying her hardest to not get everyone horribly killed.

im an artist too! see my works at my art dump below
    //showthrea...aut-s-Art-Dump

Whitelisted Captain ScreamingIdiot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Echoing everyone else here. Get more familiar with the role, seek feedback, and learn from more experienced players.

Commodore Lorenzo Fiore / Sergeant Callisto Fiore / Synthetic Gary
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    4th Division, 4th Brigade, 4th Aerospace Division, 1st Colonial Support Group
    THE FALLING FALCONS
    USS ALMAYER

Part of the CO council. PM me for any and all CO related needs and I'll help you along.

Admin Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resolved - Denied due to lack of council support. You may reapply in 30 days from this message. I recommend you play more XO during this time.