User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It just doesn't feel fun to play anymore.

Yautja Council Member CCRWasHere's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was good in the past. Developmental and administration decisions past Sulaco and the early days of the Almayer have been garbage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly just make it more hardcore. Don't be afraid to punish retardation and the unga ball, the medics have enough to do. How many times can you be revived? Pretty sure it's theoretically infinite. When was the last time you got sent up for surgery? I remember way back when getting sent up to the ship was way more common, it happened basically every other round for me since I was bald af. Does it tamp down on the playerbase? Maybe a little but honestly it's a bit crowded anyway.

And leadership should honestly be held more accountable, I know this is pulling teeth for the staff and I don't envy the job but being bald is one thing, having an edge is one thing, but being a blatant troll or being retarded is another. There's just a lot of chaff right now.

Nah SS13 is an RPG. That's what makes it magical. We've adapted it into this weird shooter which is really cool when all the elements are balanced out but trying to make it into a sort of MOBA? I'm not certain that's going to do anything positive even if it looks promising at first. I think it's a square peg in a round hole. That's just trying to do everyone else's thing. Quality should be emphasized over quantity, this is often the most popular server and more people doesn't equal a great experience.
    Last edited by Jagdges; 09-25-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the games are shorter

but the time it takes to pre/setup is the same as it was

we're waiting 30 minutes to play for 30 minutes on average

instead of waiting 30 minutes to play for an hour and a half on average

my point is that even though the rounds are shorter, we're spending more time prepping/waiting so the game feels slower (by slower I mean there is nothing to do for more periods of time, for those who are alive/aren't in dchat), even though it's actually faster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The game's absolutely crap now. I've given up. Will check back in a year. Have fun with your pixel clicky shoot em up folks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I first started playing around early/mid 2016, when the game had moved past Nostromo and onto the Sulaco. What made the game fun then was the absolute freedom you had to use your environment as a resource. While it’s true the game has come a long way with the implantation of vehicles, the CAS system, and the overhauled CIC, the gameplay just felt way less restrictive and more rewarding 4 years ago due to it still having some of the base SS13 elements. The design of the Sulaco also felt more like a ship with personality and not just a floating box map like the Almayer does. Sure the gameplay was often frustrating — the biggest problem being hugger-combat — but there was also a greater sense of comradery amongst the players. People still felt like role playing in the Alien universe, creating interesting situations and small stories that stuck in the mind. All the ship side departments were full of interesting personalities and things to do, especially engineering. Now no one really talks because the first contact theme has been removed and RP is nonexistent.

Some of the craziest memories I have of those times were being a CT and frantically barricading requisitions and trying to wire up the emitter to defend a hallway as aliens came pouring into the ship. Monitoring the Supermatter levels as an MT when an alien appears and drags the other MT into a freakin vent and disappears! Or the Sulaco depressurizing and having to fight aliens in Zero G in a spacesuit, while a USCM ship bombs the medbay after mutineers took control of the Sulaco, and WY PMCs dock with the ship and started eliminating all witnesses. Or epic 6 hour rounds where marines and aliens viciously contested for control of the Nexus until all that was left was a barren wasteland littered with corpses, and a few stray survivors clinging onto comrade sentry-gun for dear life. These moments are what made CM, it was even in their original mission statement to create a grand narrative full of struggle and sacrifice, but ever since Apop left it’s been getting progressively more bland. Maybe I’m just getting old and games aren’t as fun as they used to be. But I used to feel a sense of accomplishment at the end of every round, as if I’d just been a part of some mini-space saga for a few hours where lives hung in the balance and the fate of a universe was being decided. I miss those days dearly, but I cherish the memories I had. Some of the best online gaming moments of my life.
    Last edited by Jack’sSmirkingRevenge; 09-28-2020 at 01:55 AM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that event round where we ran the years old code was great, it was rougher, but some of the fun was reinjected, i missed the days when we were allowed to do dumb shit, and nobody really cared about balancing. I miss the RP standard we used to have that we've abandoned for a streamlined experience. I miss being terrified of xenos and learning things about the game and asking CO permission to larp as an officer in training, i just miss old CM, I know this has been super duper helpful and specific, but I honestly don't know how to bring back RP with our current set of mechanics.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kooarbiter View Post
    ... I miss being terrified of xenos and learning things about the game...
    And how devs would be responsible for implementing that? Little "konk" on the head to induce amnesia?
    Rose-tinted glasses.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    And how devs would be responsible for implementing that? Little "konk" on the head to induce amnesia?
    Rose-tinted glasses.
    part of a rant, i never said or even implied devs were at falt for me learning things or getting used to the game, I'm allowed to be nostalgic and sad in a thread made for such a purpose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Rose-tinted glasses.
    Maybe a marine in underwear with double buck shotties shouldn't be the optimal min max meta build hmmm

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMountain View Post
    Maybe a marine in underwear with double buck shotties shouldn't be the optimal min max meta build hmmm
    You realise kineem was using double shotguns way back then right