User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: It just doesn't feel fun to play anymore.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel this post but OP. sometime thing goes in a way nobody really understand.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i remember one player who basically went uniform only, no armor, rail light pulse rifle with all the extendos or AP's they could get, and just ran forward of Delta every round killing as many as they could before inevitably being slashed once by a runner, getting slowed down to crawl speed, then decapped by the second or third slash

every single round

this was way back before armor updates

i still remember them to this day. :salute:

Ceyella
    You used to be able to use the map and go around tons and matter, now your on the rails go one direction one lane useless PFC with a unless no damage gun relying on mob fire from the hordes of baldies to kill anything, or hope your able to CAS the dumbest mothrrfucking xeno getting a million warnings of the CAS. As Xeno it’s not much better you full combo some guy who then rushes around with buckshot as you run off wait and combo him again, die to lag in the end after 3 hours of grinding down marines or suddenly hive rush and wipe them.

Last time I remember fun was L41, you and a buddy sprint down a crusher and end him, but two lurkers in ambush could give you a run for your money and make it a trap and end you. But noooo some dumb crusher miles from any help whined and it got nerfed.
    Last edited by Ceyella; 10-07-2020 at 07:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the old days. I remember a round on Ice that was bodys of runners and corpses of fallen marines that died hours ago. I remember the last stand pod on the Sulaco, where it would take 20 minutes to take off. I remember the last stands, the bullshit, the laughing, the hating. Where a solo player could be robust enough to turn the tide of battle. Where looking at a name you could tell you would be just alright if you stood next to him. Where i would build cloning rooms as researcher. Where there was that AI core room with a vent that xenos would always hide in. The first round of the xeno sprites being reworked. Hivelord walking was completely invisible, and this was the days where dead players could LOOC to alive people. While i've had fun with the new CM, it's been a long ass time, maybe a year or so since i've played CM for real. I've had fun with it previously, getting BEed as a CL was fun. Being part of a mini event where i was to frame the CO was fun! I just don't know with the changes i'm seeing if i would want to return to fuck my memories up. Really that naked two shotgun meta was only allowed because MP's would be beaten up by marines if they didn't allow PFC Perry Titwinkle deploy without armor and uniform. It was so braindead, because if they just suited up like a normal marine, then stripped naked on the planet, no one would give a fuck. But the 2nd aspect to these players is that they wanted the attention. We are long past the days of Tom Dinkle. Of Xur, of the greats I've forgotten over the years. I miss them, and i wonder where they ended up.
    Cayden 'Prisoner' Mary - CMP Main, long time player, all time hater and enjoyer of MP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst not around for long due to RSI this game gave me, i just gave up with the marine side and just played RO stacking beautiful shelves.

But fuck Unga and fuck marines who use dual PB shoties, makes playing xenos unbearable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    having the ability to say i was the first to viably use dual shotguns is an honor. god i love dual shotguns.

easily the biggest issue with CM now is lag, server population and overcomplication of mechanics.

old CM was defined by the sheer volume of random features or unintended mechanics that existed and could be utilized and exploited by knowledgeable players. additionally the game ran smooth like butter and the population was low enough that every man mattered from both sides; the sense of community is far greater when you only have a pool of ~275 players on both sides leaving the population at a consistent 80-110 players vs a pool of ~900 players at a consistent 200 population. roleplay is easier to keep track of and remember this way as well which enabled a lot of camaraderie that new CM simply does not have.

there was an energy that really made old CM magical. it was a jumbo mix of intentional and unintentional things and it's not easy to recapture. for anybody asking if it "really was better", yes it objectively was, they ran an event like 2019 or 2020 april fools where they rolled the server back to the old days and it was loved by the vast majority of the players on that day.

CM now focuses on having "intentional" tools that end up being highly detailed but much fewer in number. there aren't many obscure mechanics in the game you can use to outplay, it's usually just a raw matchup of stats and standard issue items that heavily control the outcome of the game. your choice in armor feels pretty irrelevant now, old CM you could go naked for massive speed but zero armor and instant bone breaks, armor for the standard bone break thresholds and movement speed, steal PO outfits for near naked speed and above mild defense but no suitlight or mag harness. now the armor choices are mostly irrelevant, you're not even that fast in light armor and you slow down so much through pain and broken bones that heavy armor is usually just always the choice, weeds slow marines far too much

the easiest way to massively improve CM as a game is to limit the server pop tbh. limit the server population to 120 or 125 and the game becomes that much easier to balance. the best fix would be to have multiple servers because players can congregate in their favorite server of choice with buddies who consistently play there, but neither of those options would happen

also staff is a big problem, which is really saying something given apop feweh and slc were the managers long ago, but that's a massive can of worms better to leave unopened. complaining about the staff on the outside won't get anything done because it's an issue at the absolute highest point of administration, and that guy doesn't play the game or even read staff discord unless he's spam pinged about something, so how do you expect him to care about what some schmucks are saying in a rant thread on the public forum

all i'll say is don't blame devs for RP, devs never actually controlled RP at any point in time. if you don't like RP nowadays don't blame devs, thanks
    Last edited by Kineem; 11-29-2020 at 04:27 AM.
    Chance Warden

Duke the Synthetic, Karr'Thesh the Yautja
    ex-synth councilman and retired moderator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kineem View Post
    all i'll say is don't blame devs for RP, devs never actually controlled RP at any point in time. if you don't like RP nowadays don't blame devs, thanks
    Odd statement when Dev's have for the last few years systematically both intentionally and unintentionally degraded RP mechanics, features and content.
    I can't believe I have to say this, but the content you add, modify and remove to your game dictates the type of player's it'll attract and is the catalyst of control.

I absolutely do blame the Dev team for the current state of RP on the game. I however can concede that most of the current Dev's are just simply carrying on a the similar think-thought process of their current Dev members and former.
    You can also blame the staff team for lessening their rule enforcement towards RP as well. However enforcing rules is a losing battle when the mechanics and system of your game are being consistently devalued due to the lack of RP content being added by the dev team.

Blaming the current player-base for poor RP standards is similar to a Steakhouse deciding to rebrand as a Veganhouse and suddenly the only remaining customers(players) are Vegans who obviously oppose meat.

This is evident by simply looking at a lot of "Leaving Threads", there's a similar pattern of old staff and renown players leaving due to the "direction" and "RP" level of the game of the last few years.

In other-words, vegan who loves that the steakhouse is gone doesn't see anything wrong with the loss of steak and thinks everything is fine while meat-eaters have already protested and in-large left.
    Last edited by Fewher; 11-30-2020 at 02:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post
    Odd statement when Dev's have for the last few years systematically both intentionally and unintentionally degraded RP mechanics, features and content.
    I can't believe I have to say this, but the content you add, modify and remove to your game dictates the type of player's it'll attract and is the catalyst of control.

I absolutely do blame the Dev team for the current state of RP on the game. I however can concede that most of the current Dev's are just simply carrying on a the similar think-thought process of their current Dev members and former.
    You can also blame the staff team for lessening their rule enforcement towards RP as well. However enforcing rules is a losing battle when the mechanics and system of your game are being consistently devalued due to the lack of RP content being added by the dev team.

Blaming the current player-base for poor RP standards is similar to a Steakhouse deciding to rebrand as a Veganhouse and suddenly the only remaining customers(players) are Vegans who obviously oppose meat.

This is evident by simply looking at a lot of "Leaving Threads", there's a similar pattern of old staff and renown players leaving due to the "direction" and "RP" level of the game of the last few years.
    perhaps it's not fully correct to say that devs have no control on roleplay but rather their impact is far less significant than staff

what exactly did the devs put into the game that made it "definitively no-RP"? most veterans and renown players who left the game left because their friends were all leaving and the staff kept kicking CM's RP and fun away from it, not primarily because of the dev work although that was definitely part of it.

you can say "well it's because they didn't put RP content into the game!" but the old devs didn't really do that either. they put in new items that had roots in Aliens lore, but they put in fucking guns or armors or tanks or ERTs, to alter gameplay, some of which were mega LRP like the iron bears and were literally just there for a laugh. they almost never put in items or introduced mechanics solely for the purpose of RP. it was very rare to get new RP items that had little to no gameplay purpose, but off the top of my head i can think of past changes in 2019 or 2020 that weren't important to the core gameplay loop of "marine kill aliens/alien kill marine" but gave people access to more flavor items, such as walkmen or more loadout customization options, or rooms that were added to the Almayer for flavor like the gym and its boxing ring

that's why i'm saying "don't blame the dev team". because while the game is SUPER mechanically boring to play despite managing to have more mechanics put into it and it being a laggy mess compared to old CM ALL WHILE not having the distinctive Aliens theme behind it, it'd still be fun to play if the RP was good and the banter/community was still there, like how in 2018 or 2019 numerous veterans still played the game despite mutators or despite the period of unkillable defenders/warriors instead of just taking a break from the game until it got better.

the game was fun because of old mechanics and aliens theme, yes, but that was mostly just the shit that pulled you in and got you playing. what kept people around, what the actual meat of the game was, was its community and staff rulings, which have gone absolutely into the gutter in comparison. no more pre-operation ship brawls, no squad breakfasts, doctors aren't allowed to give marines all cybernetic limbs as part of "iron men" programs, no gimmicky RP characters, no prisonbreaks, no character-driven IC events, no nothing, just a mindless focus on deploying to the planet and killing shit or dying and getting the almayer invaded.

you feweh were a really weird dude but the game was fun because of staff like you being interested in keeping the game fun for others whereas now most staff just kiss the ass of whoever is higher than them and punish people based on letter of the rules rather than punishing them based on whether or not the game's entertainment and fun is being maintained.

you'll see no bill carsons or heinz meullers because staff nowadays would freak the fuck out over the dumb gimmick in the dumb spaceman game. they won't suspend disbelief and say to themselves "as long as they conduct themselves in an appropriate manner ICly and don't use leet speech or behave like literal children then they're okay", they'll say "the concept is dumb and stupid and i don't like it," even if the players themselves are having fun over it, having failed to comprehend the very meaning of MEDIUM Role Play. THAT is why players left the game, that is why some well known community figures like avalanche acted out and got themselves permabanned, that is why well-behaved members like john murry or julian petrov or the old charlie mains left the game quietly and without fuss or went and tried to make their own server (TGMC) to fail to recapture the glory days.

devs don't control that aspect of the game.
    Last edited by Kineem; 11-30-2020 at 08:59 PM.
    Chance Warden

Duke the Synthetic, Karr'Thesh the Yautja
    ex-synth councilman and retired moderator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can say "well it's because they didn't put RP content into the game!" but the old devs didn't really do that either. they put in new items that had roots in Aliens lore, but they put in fucking guns or armors or tanks or ERTs, to alter gameplay, some of which were mega LRP like the iron bears and were literally just there for a laugh.
    Just to touch base here I lead the game-direction and was Manager for about 3 years. I really don't remember your account name as a player from years ago, nor does your argument make any sense when as one of the founding creators of CM I'm telling you that we absolutely added everything in-mind with "RP". Every content that was added was combed through by Myself, Apop/Rahl and whoever the Head Dev was at the time. We'd go over multiple aspects to ensure it was balanced from a gameplay perspective, roleplay element and balancing.

Additionally, Iron Bears were and are a "Lore Friendly" component and antag to the game; https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Iron_Bears

they almost never put in items or introduced mechanics solely for the purpose of RP. it was very rare to get new RP items that had little to no gameplay purpose, but off the top of my head i can think of past changes in 2019 or 2020 that weren't important to the core gameplay loop of "marine kill aliens/alien kill marine" but gave people access to more flavor items, such as walkmen or more loadout customization options, or rooms that were added to the Almayer for flavor like the gym and its boxing ring
    So just to counter this with the most obvious and biggest addition old CM had was the limitation on players. Essentially we wanted to promote team-work and player communication and remove "rogue marines" and "solo players". An easy example of this was Marines being unable to read medical pills, open pill-bottles, use certain items etc etc. The idea was to foster player communication, in-which promotes player-interaction which = Roleplay being fostered at a natural level.

that's why i'm saying "don't blame the dev team". because while the game is SUPER mechanically boring to play despite managing to have more mechanics put into it and it being a laggy mess compared to old CM ALL WHILE not having the distinctive
    Once again, as one of the original "creators" of CM I can tell you confidently that "old CM" was not smooth and was a laggy mess as well. There was at least an entire year of just pure-lag disrupting gameplay and over-time optimizations took place.

the game was fun because of old mechanics and aliens theme, yes, but that was mostly just the shit that pulled you in and got you playing. what kept people around, what the actual meat of the game was, was its community and staff rulings, which have gone absolutely into the gutter in comparison. no more pre-operation ship brawls, no squad breakfasts, doctors aren't allowed to give marines all cybernetic limbs as part of "iron men" programs, no gimmicky RP characters, no prisonbreaks, no character-driven IC events, no nothing, just a mindless focus on deploying to the planet and killing shit or dying and getting the almayer invaded.
    I don't know if this would've been appropriate for even "old CM" and I don't think this is part of the problem of current CM rather it's a problem of game-play being streamlined focusing the entire playerbases attention to simply killing rather than the over-all story of the game. Essentially if you create a TDM game-play that offers no other elements to achieve victory or have fun, you'll end up with people only focusing on that singular objective (killing).

you feweh were a really weird dude but the game was fun because of staff like you being interested in keeping the game fun for others whereas now most staff just kiss the ass of whoever is higher than them and punish people based on letter of the rules rather than punishing them based on whether or not the game's entertainment and fun is being maintained.
    Staff have always kissed ass of the higher-up staff. It's a volunteer position with the only reward and payment being more "power" and control. The only way to advance is to generally shut your mouth, have a similar mindset and hope someone leaves so you can take their position. The current staff have a whole different issue compared to the prior years of CM. There's a huge bloat of ranks within the staff team presently, a bunch of people who shouldn't be in lead positions are "leading" and a democratic hell of "voting" that hampers development and change at every turn.

you'll see no bill carsons or heinz meullers because staff nowadays would freak the fuck out over the dumb gimmick in the dumb spaceman game.
    I don't play enough (or at all) to comment on the current renown players. However I will say that it's interesting that High RP characters such as Bill and Heinz have been replaced by Low-RP Action oriented characters who spout memes and deploy planetside every round. My limited in-game experience with the current playerbase is Low-RP, untalkative players and "RP" that is so fucking bad and low-tier that it's cringe.

devs don't control that aspect of the game.
    Well you didn't really rebuttal anything regarding Dev's or Staff other than offering some opinion pieces so I'm just going to reiterate.

If you're running a Vegan Restaurant and you don't serve meat you're only going to attract Vegans. I really don't know how you, or anyone could possibly argue that the team that makes a game doesn't control the type of audience/players it'll attract.
    Last edited by Fewher; 12-01-2020 at 12:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Player since 2015 here. Too many mechanics from base SS13 have been removed. We dropped a ton of depth from base SS13 (engineering, medical, research, etc.) in the name of balance and now everything marine side feels so bland because of fear of it becoming a meta. Engineer used to be my favourite job where you could have a massive effect on shaping the battlefield through a number of ways but now it just feels like you're bob the barricade builder with a few toys thrown in that get old after a couple of rounds. The biggest gripe I still have with the team is when they nerfed e-grills. Back in 2015-16 you used to have an incentive to keep power up because without it your whole base defense would fall apart. This resulted in engineering becoming a secondary objective to the marines that was as important as tcomms. Marines actually had to actively protect engineering which lead to harder tactical choices for command. Do you push caves with 3 squads and risk the LZ, engineering and tcomms being less defended? Do you use the harder to defend LZ 2 to consolidate your defenses because its closer to engineering? Do you leave 2 squads back and use LZ1, but risk a squad being cut off? Some of the most fun games I've ever had have consisted of being a bravo engineer cut off from lz1 and desperately trying to hold engineering to save the FOB. Balance shouldn't mean removing depth to the game because it makes everything feel bland.