LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bell Tower is underappreciated in my honest opinion. Sure, it doesn't fend off Xenos on its own, but it's not meant to.

The main use of the Bell is to attract Marines. While you SHOULD use Sentries on your main line of cades, you SHOULD use a bell on one of the flanks. Why? Because people are human and get bored of sentry duty on some flank that, reasonably, might never get attacked. Thus, they leave and the flank ends up unguarded... and open to attack. That's how one of those "GUYS THEY'RE BREACHING NORTH LZ WHAT THE FUCK" moments happens.

Use a Bell on the flank. It's loud enough to have it heard more or less all around the LZ, and thus alerts plenty of folks to the incoming threat without them being on the flank itself. I've found this reliable on something like Solaris Ridge and the new Fiorina Science Annex LZ-1, where people will forget to garrison the Southeast all the time and thus have Xenos break through there. The Bell helps alleviate that, and alerts plenty of people to an incoming rush from that side. A Sentry WOULD shoot them, but a single sentry would not be able to stop an actual rush/push because its targeting will switch back and forth between multiple xenos in front of it, thus spreading damage and consequently not doing much in the end. It also doesn't alert Marines, so they might break through a cadeline, kill the sentry, and nobody would be all-the-wiser, still.
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New sentries will never Replace COMRADE Sentry who held the line while no one would, who protected the marines from countless odds and hardships and who never compromised even when gassed by boilers. Truly a hero of the USCM
    Aden Cooper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually dont like the flame sentry as it is incredibly buggy and frustrating to go up against, I think it's damage could be doubled down as the blue fire is really the main thing that makes xenos back off, kind of overkill ngl

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix it again Tony View Post
    I suggest play xeno also not just marine, your opinion will change very fast.

From the normal USMC load out regular sentry is still the best. You can deploy anywhere to give solo defense against runners on the flanks or to the front cades to assist with pushy xenos. I don't care about armor, that sentry will deter xenos to hang out at the front slashing cades and marines.

The flamer is good in theory and in a vacuum. But in real game it's nearly useless. Yes it can one-shot a runner...if it could hit it. It never can. Runners easily outrun them no problem. Never seen a runner die to a flamer, while running in front of a regular sentry will deal 5-20% damage, meaning he has to retreat and heal back to full HP, or he will be one-shot by the PB and can't escape with a crit.

If you place the flamer on flanks, you can position your spitter to keep spitting on in. By the time they realize, you can delete it. Placing it on the front cades will 100% guarantee disaster. As soon as it fires, xenos will push/tailwhip you into the fire. They can put it out, but you will sure as hell die or crit. They WILL dodge the initial fire bullet what makes the damage, the fire on the floor is too weak for a xeno to take seriously.

But lets say you are just hanging out around the flamer, I will make sure to pounce with my runner in a way that it will shoot at me and burn the marine instead. If you would have just use a regular sentry, that could provide supportifire. But the flamer just f*cks over marines big time. Also you want to run out with a shotty to finish the critted xeno? Well bad luck the flamer sentry just made a burning mess and now you can't run out.

The Tesla is absolute king. What people forget is the sentry has maybe a 120 degree fire angle. Really easy to get behind it. As a borrower I regularry tunnel under undefended part of LZ behind the sentry to destroy it. It it would be a tesla, it would block my ability to tunnel out and I won't suicide for a tesla. Also tesla can hit multiple targets at a 360 degree angle. Place it anywhere and if you have marines there, xenos WILL f*ck off. If slows, blinds, blocks abilities, xenos will just freak out and escape. Not to mention if a xeno is injured, you can bet your *ss there will be an unga with double shotty waiting to run after that slowed, blinded xeno that can't use his ability to hurt you and they WILL PB you. That's why it's scary.

And yes it does deal no damage. But at that point when this happens, I guarantee you the flamer would be already FF-ing marines and xenos would just run behind it or destroy it. But with a tesla, they just want to escape.

As for flag and bell, I haven't find any good use. They do buff, but the others are just better.
    Listen here peanut head the flamer sentry isnt called the George Foreman Giga Griller Hell Burner for no reason. I've killed countless praes, warriors, crushers with assistance from the foreman before. Ain't talking about runners or any other xeno because it kills it themself. Next onto your tesla. Weak shit, 125 health. USELESS

Whitelisted Synthetic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double flamer will literally dunk most xenos health instantly, triple will pretty much kill a T3, 3 normal sentries WILL kill a queen in about 4-5 seconds. Objectively if you buy anything else as an engineer you should feel bad, and I'm not saying that just because I like to stack sentries, but because you're quite literally lowering the damage output of the marine side.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minimike View Post
    Double flamer will literally dunk most xenos health instantly, triple will pretty much kill a T3, 3 normal sentries WILL kill a queen in about 4-5 seconds. Objectively if you buy anything else as an engineer you should feel bad, and I'm not saying that just because I like to stack sentries, but because you're quite literally lowering the damage output of the marine side.
    Assuming that a xeno player suddenly lags out or spills his coffee on the keyboard? I play lots of xeno and when I see a flamer I purposefully try to burn marines as you have to be REALLY bad at this game not to avoid their flame.

But when I see a sentry, I run. F that. 100% hit rate, I will have to heal up and it gives marines an excellent FRIENDLY FIRE FRIENDLY fire support.

This is like saying a nade launcher is stronger than sniper rifle. Maybe, but that sniper will keep firing at everything IFF while you the GL is extremely situational and it's open for FF.