Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Grape Renaissance Project

Whitelisted Synthetic CallunaBorealis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Decker100 View Post
    Hey...didn't I BE Gurb for that one after he bullied you?
    Ehh can't remember, I do remember the damn APC drove into the Mess just to pick up a magherita pizza like some drive through
    Shore leave approved for all my characters, enjoying the beaches of New Hawaii until further notice.

Plays as Heather Tanigawa (Intel and everything else), Erica Picotte (Medical) and Angela Ochoa (Engineering) in the USCM.

Aissa the Synthetic, a former waitress for a Cuban-themed restaurant franchise.

CB-** the Beno.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CallunaBorealis View Post
    Ehh can't remember, I do remember the damn APC drove into the Mess just to pick up a magherita pizza like some drive through
    I was the charlie SL this day, fantastic.

Whitelisted Captain BatHoovyDood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grape, more liek gross. Alpha 4 life.

Seriously though it's good to see some efforts to carry the torch of old Charlie. Obviously it would be a hell of a trick to bring it all the way back, but this is still really nice to see.
    - Squad Leader Cassandra 'Boston' Ellis (and overconfident CO)

(Probably already dead)

Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a Charlie breakfast as SL recently. It was fun.

70% of Charlie squad missed deployment because the XO did not announce briefing started or ended, and only did an announcement for the PO to take off. Turns out, it takes longer from cryo lunchroom to the hangar than for the transport to warm up its engines. Who’d have thunk.

Of course, without Charlie squad to carry the marine forces as usual and with the damn PO taking ten minutes to come back up, our ground forces got wiped shortly after Charlie actually managed to deploy.

One of my favourite rounds in recent memory.
    Last edited by FortyPercent; 10-16-2020 at 01:40 PM.
    Robert 'DangerZone' Hale and the incognito legion

FA-XXX-L5 (The D-Day Drone that never wants to be a Hivelord yet always winds up as one)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I believe forcing behavior on a squad (A lot of squad leaders do so, it is annoying for the most part) is a bad thing, this seems like a pretty good idea, and wish it does not stay secluded to breakfasts and this squad only.

RP is mainly about creating bonds that surpass the duration of a single round, making the ordinary look interesting while refusing to follow the ever-growing automatization the game is undergoing.

Playing solely to win isn't memorable for the most part of the time, or making a good amount of kills, it may be cool at the moment due to the euphoria but you will pretty much forget it in less than a day- What made CM fun and what makes people look at the past with happiness and nostalgia, were the failures and achievements along the way, making friends and fighting with them, not only fighting, losing for most of the time in fact but losing together. Although I am not playing on Charlie frequently, I wish you the best of luck with your idea, when possible, I will surely play some rounds with it.
    Captain Elzbieta Brygida

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FortyPercent View Post
    I did a Charlie breakfast as SL recently. It was fun.

70% of Charlie squad missed deployment because the XO did not announce briefing started or ended, and only did an announcement for the PO to take off. Turns out, it takes longer from cryo lunchroom to the hangar than for the transport to warm up its engines. Who’d have thunk.

Of course, without Charlie squad to carry the marine forces as usual and with the damn PO taking ten minutes to come back up, our ground forces got wiped shortly after Charlie actually managed to deploy.

One of my favourite rounds in recent memory.
    I was either spec or SG in that round, it was traumatic
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bluk would like one last Charlie breakfast, and to beat up them deltards one last time over stupid shit... It has been awhile.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rpwhatthat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a Charlie established circa 2018, you have my attention and pulse rifle of questionable round count.

Off the dome, really what made Charlie hold tight was literally the mix of old and new constantly in the ranks, a real "Donatello of the main 4". Because Charlie was often a soft support/middle guard role between Engie Yellow and Unga Delta, the setup let us carry the convos A LOT.

The squad was also a more backseat position for experienced players to still play without, say, having still lead charges and ,ironically, switch mains. Simply Charile's dynamic was having the dynamic period. Really each squad is a hidden playstyle and the 4 playstyles combined made the stuff we love ( then the Specs, ROs SO`COs , Medical/Research moods layered it on and you get the idea )

Purple was the squad to build Action RP gameplay skill, the big reason why I stuck with them aside from the big brain mid field and support tactics in that starting year.

Come to think, only the lacking of passing things down, like in 2019, did Charlie have a limbo phase of being like a chair force. The chemistry was there but execution need the aforementioned to make Charlie the classic goodest grape.

===

Now that CM is more RP pushed, and some meta-narrative is allowed between matches some key things "in gameplay canon" can help this version of Charlie out:

- Breakfast is a meme, Cryo to Vendor to Lockers with chatter is still "Breakfast" - CM has been known for small changes in the start and breakfast get adapted, just like us

- Commando ERT play and post rush/recovery phases are GREAT moments to lean on for a Charlie style of play
    remembering and reflecting on similar times helps a lot

- Be Adaptive, this is Charlie true combat strength. The idea is to take your experiences and let that give you a second nature about things, Movie wise think Hicks and Drake, low key but can become a lighting bruiser when tables start to flip.

- Note Charlie also was a medic squad in degrees, so the ways Medics are played cautiously or nimble, with the right amount of chatter was key

Again, off the top of the head, yet these details highlight the melting pot making the Grapes the soft robust based, RP focused, silent bruisers they are.
    Last edited by SunaLova; 12-18-2020 at 03:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I briefly played Charlie SL a while back when some of the charlie mains were still around. And by god squad used to be effective.

Recently, I started playing SL a bit after seeing unexperienced SLs. Although charlie is usually the smallest squad, they are still more inclined to stick together which I like. I find RP could be done better in charlie.

If squad tactics are more fun over sheer unga strength, I would suggest to play charlie. As SL, I try for superior KDA as squad over just kills by keeping squad and other squads alive like a true marine.
    Few Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler: