User Tag List

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: On the upcoming CO/XO merge and its effect on current shipside RP

Whitelisted Captain BatHoovyDood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ehh, I'm inclined to say its a combo of players and design. There is almost no reason to RP besides for its own sake, as just about everything is streamlined out the ass. I always try to talk to people and keep a lively conversation, but I find that out of 100+ marines only three or four people will be active on any given channel. For example, my main is and always has been Alpha Squad Leader. I know that there is going to be a lot of new people, and they aren't gonna be versed in comms and what not, but there is also plenty of people who actually have a character in the squad. But in the end it's always those 3 or 4 people on comms, and the others will only talk to call out a contact or bitch for healing. It's just a fact of the game that much of the population is here to kill bugs and that is it, and play no name random characters who grab two shotguns and rush hive every round. And yeah for people like us who enjoy the roleplay it sucks, but its a nigh impossible issue to fix short of enforcing RP rules stronger than Bay's, and there is no way in hell that is gonna happen.
    - Squad Leader Cassandra 'Boston' Ellis (and overconfident CO)

(Probably already dead)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMountain View Post
    I really do not think admins cracking hard enough on netspeak or the low rp sentences of the rabble is gonna solve the problem. That'd just be attacking the symptoms rather than the cause. All it will accomplish is that people will maybe stop saying netspeak but they'll just simply wordlessly click on shit as they already do and RP would still not be back.

The real problem is the gameplay, it's , to put it simply, too frantic and streamlined to foster any kind of RP. Damage is mostly a minor concern after medical has been completely overhauled, a shitload of roles are now streamlined into monotony.
    this 100%

departments feel so separated from the others that it does not even feel like they are on the same ship.
    Most shipside players are able to play one ENTIRE ROUND without ever exiting their departments and interacting with the rest, there is no sinergy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like I'm watching the battle for CM SS13' soul.

If the updates and the plans of the devs fuck the server, is anyone planning to atleast start up their own version of CM13? (Preferbly 2019 version) Cause that'd be awesome. If not..... welp.... RIP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun-liquid View Post
    I feel like I'm watching the battle for CM SS13' soul.

If the updates and the plans of the devs fuck the server, is anyone planning to atleast start up their own version of CM13? (Preferbly 2019 version) Cause that'd be awesome. If not..... welp.... RIP.
    You'd need to revert back to 2017ish in order to re-instill a lot of "soul" back into the game.
    The Dev team have systematically and accidentally degraded the integrity of the game for so long that the damage is basically unrepairable.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well no one is tackling the big elephant in the room of why roleplay no longer exists

yall keep forgetting that in "YE OLDE DAYS" roleplay happened because rounds lasted (AT MINIMUM) 3 hours.

THREE HOURS.

THREE.

not one, not two, THREE.

MINIMUM.

i am saying this a lot as emphasis, but i bet if awan pulled out his 9000000 IQ graph of round timers nowadays, 3 hours would be an outlier, not the norm.

we've had 4, 5, even 6 hour rounds before.

mid to late game for xenos was MATURE T3, Elder was if marines were sucking, and if you saw a Ancient T3 as a marine? you really fucked up, like actually pants on head sitting at FOB behind 4 turrets levels of bad

so what did you do during all this down time? when you've patrolled, found xenos, first clash, then retreated or pushed?

you roleplayed. you talked about the arm you lost to a single rav slash and thanked the stars you didn't get decapped in one hit. you talked about how you survived a crusher AoE dummy slapping the ground and dragging you away but then a brave robusto came outta fucking nowhere, grabbed you, and kept shooting his AP pulse rifle while dragging you (back before dragging didn't take a hand slot to do and you could juggle 3 people). you talked about how you survived a double hugger drop on your phat face because the second hugger got shot by a SG 0.5 seconds before it latched onto your face right after the first hugger took your helmet off

the game was a lot deadlier as well if you haven't been reading till now; ravs could permanently remove you from the round in one hit, corpses could be dragged even when dead, defibs only healed you in 1 minutes time, cloning was a thing but no one dragged bodies back (or you were the one unsung hero who dragged 10 people to dropship only for researcher to be AFK and not clone anyone), delimbs happened FREQUENTLY, medbay only had 2 doctors and 2 rooms that didn't even come fucking stocked with all surgery tools nor did you start with advanced tools; all of this had to be found on the PLANET.

yes as a doctor you were literally a ghetto hood docta who had to scramble for tools or STEAL the only set(s) available on the entire ship, or mug the researcher for his autolathe to print you some more

all of these garbage mechanics, the deadliness of the game, and the long times you had to play the game FORCED you to roleplay because you had nothing else to do. thats how some of the most iconic player identities ingame were formed, such as Bravo FOB, Delta shock squad, Charlie breakfast club, Alpha whomp or Alpha strike team.

tl;dr garbage game mechanics and long game times forced roleplay, now no one has time for roleplay besides a few chipped sentences while pushing a choke for the 100000000000000000th time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagile View Post
    well no one is tackling the big elephant in the room of why roleplay no longer exists

yall keep forgetting that in "YE OLDE DAYS" roleplay happened because rounds lasted (AT MINIMUM) 3 hours.

THREE HOURS.

THREE.

not one, not two, THREE.

MINIMUM.

i am saying this a lot as emphasis, but i bet if awan pulled out his 9000000 IQ graph of round timers nowadays, 3 hours would be an outlier, not the norm.

mid to late game for xenos was MATURE T3, Elder was if marines were sucking, and if you saw a Ancient T3 as a marine? you really fucked up, like actually pants on head sitting at FOB behind 4 turrets levels of bad

so what did you do during all this down time? when you've patrolled, found xenos, first clash, then retreated or pushed?

you roleplayed. you talked about the arm you lost to a single rav slash and thanked the stars you didn't get decapped in one hit. you talked about how you survived a crusher AoE dummy slapping the ground and dragging you away but then a brave robusto came outta fucking nowhere, grabbed you, and kept shooting his AP pulse rifle while dragging you (back before dragging didn't take a hand slot to do and you could juggle 3 people). you talked about how you survived a double hugger drop on your phat face because the second hugger got shot by a SG 0.5 seconds before it latched onto your face right after the first hugger took your helmet off

the game was a lot deadlier as well if you haven't been reading till now; ravs could permanently remove you from the round in one hit, corpses could be dragged even when dead, defibs only healed you in 1 minutes time, cloning was a thing but no one dragged bodies back (or you were the one unsung hero who dragged 10 people to dropship only for researcher to be AFK and not clone anyone), delimbs happened FREQUENTLY, medbay only had 2 doctors and 2 rooms that didn't even come fucking stocked with all surgery tools nor did you start with advanced tools; all of this had to be found on the PLANET.

yes as a doctor you were literally a ghetto hood docta who had to scramble for tools or STEAL the only set(s) available on the entire ship, or mug the researcher for his autolathe to print you some more

all of these garbage mechanics, the deadliness of the game, and the long times you had to play the game FORCED you to roleplay because you had nothing else to do. thats how some of the most iconic player identities ingame were formed, such as Bravo FOB, Delta shock squad, Charlie breakfast club, Alpha whomp or Alpha strike team.

tl;dr garbage game mechanics and long game times forced roleplay, now no one has time for roleplay besides a few chipped sentences while pushing a choke for the 100000000000000000th time
    I barely play CM (or really SS13 for that matter) anymore and I basically just lurk on the forums here, but this post really fucking resonates with me. Having played since about around April 2016, I remember when CM was like this, and I fucking adored it. But now, CM just isn't really appealing to me anymore, it's lost that certain charm it used to have. Now, that may just be nostalgia or some shit clouding my vision or what have you, but that's how it seems to me. I don't have anything else constructive to add, but I really do prefer the old days, even if it is just the rose-tinted glasses making me think that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way I can RP now is to purposely choose the L42, Either be in Bravo or hang at FOB, and join in the conversations that pop up or RP as some chain smoking sniper. For all the improvements to QoL, there have been countless hits to fun and gameplay. It is just like the old saying 1 step forward 2 steps back. But it is not even clear what the 1 step forward is towards; MOBA, Radio Operator, Techweb, the resources on the map needing to be capped, removal of escaping nests, the consolidation of single marine power into specs, SGs, and relying on unreliable cooperative roles (CAS, OB, supply logistics, etc.)? To what end does any of this actually do for the server? Xenos most of the time are just bullet sponges. The April fool's event this year was by far the most eye opening for me and others, because it showed just how good some bad things were. So many people have left. Is this the cost for 'improvements'?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagile View Post

THREE HOURS.

THREE.

not one, not two, THREE.

MINIMUM.

This argument basically ends the entire discussion but people will continue sticking to their misguided opinions, as usual. Which isn't surprising, since few people from the current playerbase played back then.

Hell if you REALLY want to blame devs for something, blame neth for his armor rework. I can't recall a single dev change in the history of CM that drove as many old players away as that one.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make it so that the first one to wake up gets to handle the techweb stuff, if other one wakes up, they can do whatever XO and CO agree upon. If both spawn at the same time, CO gets priority on handling the techweb.

Make the spawn flavor text something like.
    "You have been commissioned by USCM Central Command for the field testing and deployment of experiemental assets and equipment."

It's not hard to do this without cucking the RP and command structure in the game.
    Bert 'SOAB' Beach CARGONIA
    Henrik & Leeroy SYNTHETIC
    Rau'ta H'chak YAUTJA

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

"Honestly, how can you hire this cunt? You must be really fucked up to hire someone like him."

sexy avatar by Manezinho

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Devs just salty COs always deployed becuase they didnt get shit to do shipside due to unending waves of good XOs. Does anyone remember when XOs had half half chance of being bald asf and CO had to not just lead the operation(aka be the voice of reason and tell the monkeys with guns that 'why, yes it is better to pull back and just CAS the shit out of them instead of suiciding into the chokepoint like a brainlet') but the CO also had to maintain power because the MT was a dum son of a bitch and CE already SSDed watching anime and if the CO and XO were too lazy or stupid to maintain power say bye bye to comms.

COs-XOs have no purpose and got to be streamlined due to the death of shipside, the CO or XO aren't needed for any shipside task really beside yelling at marines.