User Tag List

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: On the upcoming CO/XO merge and its effect on current shipside RP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampmare View Post
    There is a place for CM for both people wishing to RP and for people wishing to shoot aliens. You shouldn't come here to expect your average HRP, but you can expect to RP out your time as a marine grunt killing aliens. The dev team has always done their best to keep up the atmosphere.
    The problem is that recent updates as well as stated plans for the future of the game seem to all head in a direction that will just discourage and hamper RP even more, like the one this thread was about. And so far there's been absolutely no words from the devs about any changes regarding the state of RP or how they're working to improve, what we do see a lot of is divisive changes with a heavy focus on moving the game away from RP and more and more towards a pure TDM experience. What's worse is that past changes have only removed features from the game in an effort to improve the transition towards TDM, again in detriment of RP and atmosphere.

To put it plainly, old CM could accomodate both RPers and TDMers, but devs have been taking the game in a direction that wil only be for the TDM experience in detriment of anything else.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see how devs could "intentionally" degrade RP on CM. How is that even possible to do that from the position of a dev intentionally? Is there some kind of mechanical limitation to how much words you can say, or something like that? Ofcourse not, if anything, its all accidentally, but you can't really prosecute somebody about those kinds of accidents.

The true and the biggest reason for lower RP was already stated here. Its because rounds are way shorter. They are shorter mainly because benos lost maturity system. On paper you CAN blame devs for that, but it was probably more of headstaff decision. And it wasn't removed to make rounds shorter on purpose. It was made to appeal to those who play benos, to make their deaths more forgiving and it is. On the way there was also introducion of permanest which also was made to help benos with (obviously annoying, but not less than guarding part of FoB that no beno ever comes, unless its main force that breaks in 10 seconds anyway) their tasks.
    Those two mechanical/code things that impacted RP negatively. Both as side effects, not main goal.

Thats it. This is how CM of old and current CM differs in terms of "mechanical RP".

But when talking about negatives it would be nice to talk about positives also.
    Shipside antags. Big no-no during leafman era, here it blooms and shines. Obviously requires some polish, but its something that was introduced mechanically and gives RP.
    Research PMCs with goal to get some substance, with shooting as the last resort option. This is also something mechanical that gives RP opportunities.
    Gun oil that you can use to fluff clean your gun.
    Helmet cosmetics with overall more stuff in character creator. Those things certainly build up RP opportunities.
    And other things I fail to remember, because I just play PFC and sometimes also defender beno.
    Old CM didn't have that.

And this is truly it. Simply running some old code won't magically bring RP back, because current one is cursed, or some shit. Make rounds longer, add more cool features.

Or go with everchanging altman advice. Not so long ago he complained and argued with me that RP went down the gutter, because of the players and players only, now he blames devs and devs only.
    Where wind blows, there is altman ready to get some CM-street credit for being wise-wang.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what is worth, players influence devs and devs influence players, there are some people that like the current amount of rp, do indeed call it about, and then there are some of us that like this game because of the possible rp.

I think that after all these discussions, on which I think there are a lot of emotions that shouldnt be involved, but given no one is being paid, no one cares, the REAL questions we should focus are twofold

1- Is this an issue that you want to solve? Townhall seemed to indicate that it is, that indeed the Staff want to have RP, since as Xsdew put it, 'RP is just having fun without winning'. But you still want to task this question, and know how much RP you want, how much is worth it, what sacrificies are you willing to take for it, what priority RP is, etc etc.

2- Now that we know what we want and how much we want it, the question goes towards... how do we achieve it? You all posted about some great changes to ship side, I concurr, there are a lot of shit to do on the ship now that we didnt used to have on the ol' sulaco days, but, if there is something I will always bring to focus is, the most played job in this game is Squad Marine, then Xenos, then everything else, and the game should be focused on those as such.

So, those are my two cents, I would like to request everyone involved to cool down, leave emotion on the door since it has little room for code and design, and look at the problem from these angles, knowing how much you want a thing and how important it is will even help to discern what its needed, and not losing sight of the bread and butter of the game, ie, Squad marines and Xenos, is instrumental to any kind of real improvement.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    honestly my point and neths is exactly why there is no roleplay

there is no time for roleplay and too many people play this game

who the fuck cares about baldie #1's opinion when there is 20 more baldies behind him? people cared about other people, casualties, roleplay in general when there was 5-10 people in a squad at most, which gave you a dedicated amount of people to listen and RESPOND to your bullshit. now there is 20 people + clogging up your chat trying to be LE FUNNEY MAY MAY every single round and then silence because they either died in first push or we won first push and the game is over

roleplay requires two or more willing parties to continue believing in a story telling narrative, and that requires a tight knit group and lots of time to do both

and neither is present in current CM.

no matter how much you blame the devs (and trust me, as an authority on dev blaming that Neth can confirm since i cried and moaned a lot during his era, i can tell you right now its not 100% their fault like you want to believe) nothing is going to bring back your boomer days of getting decapped in one hit by a rav and not be able to play for 3 + hours, being double huggered by a young runner and dragged across the map 15 minutes into the round because you looked away from your screen for 2 seconds, and many other instances of garbage gameplay mechanics that always had the same response in dchat when you cried about them

"get gud"

your not getting that era completely back because no one is actually looking at what made those era's what they were; they just pick and choose through nostalgia telescopes about "THE GREAT DAYS!!!!!" and forget all the bullshit that devs have removed

did you know that medics used to have to click 4-5 times before they could even give people pills, and they didn't get that many; they had to ask 1 out of the 3 doctors to give them pills from a limited chem dispenser? that medics had NO COLOR CODED LABELING ON PILLS OR BOTTLES?

thats just one example of the garbage 90% of old players conveniently "forgot" to fill their narrative of "HOW GOOD THE OL DAYS OF ROOLEPLAYYYY WAS!!!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, I think you are onto something there. The last awesome RP I had this week was related to spinning out of Alpha and getting assigned to IO duty, and the IO small team of 5 made it a blast, I even had a lot of enjoyment from the traps the Xenos laid out at the Nexus, so maybe that's it, dividing people into small groups.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbis View Post
    Wait, I think you are onto something there. The last awesome RP I had this week was related to spinning out of Alpha and getting assigned to IO duty, and the IO small team of 5 made it a blast, I even had a lot of enjoyment from the traps the Xenos laid out at the Nexus, so maybe that's it, dividing people into small groups.
    why do you think i still play this game? its definitely not for the game itself. although its fun pulling off an epic gamer move and clutching the round for either side, the most fun ive had is the friends i made in delta squad who i do crazy shit with like 5 man pushing a solo flank while constantly telling them how batshit insane the idea is (and doing it anyway)

or slashing a dead corpse at secure storage and making a stupid ass ritual out of it where everyone has to dogpile on top of it, only to be disturbed by a random ass yautja uncloaking and *roaring, followed by everyone getting up and running at him with a one handed buckshotgun trying to be the first to PB him before he pussies out

if it weren't for the friends i made ingame, i would never return to the current CM, as its the same stale formula nowadays

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just give XO and CO access to techweb via the command bubble console already. What is so hard about doing that?

Also it's nice to get confirmation from devs in this thread that they push for a TDM CM to the detriment of RP constantly. I know I bitch a lot in the CO channel of discord about it but devs (except dismas he's cool) have been making obvious changes for years now with little to no care about how it affects the playerbases' view on atmosphere or RP. Because 'Who the fuck cares about RP, right? ? ? ?'

Damn shame it's moved in this direction for so long and arrived here, imo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagile View Post
    why do you think i still play this game? its definitely not for the game itself. although its fun pulling off an epic gamer move and clutching the round for either side, the most fun ive had is the friends i made in delta squad who i do crazy shit with like 5 man pushing a solo flank while constantly telling them how batshit insane the idea is (and doing it anyway)

or slashing a dead corpse at secure storage and making a stupid ass ritual out of it where everyone has to dogpile on top of it, only to be disturbed by a random ass yautja uncloaking and *roaring, followed by everyone getting up and running at him with a one handed buckshotgun trying to be the first to PB him before he pussies out

if it weren't for the friends i made ingame, i would never return to the current CM, as its the same stale formula nowadays
    This has always been the best part of CM. Not the SS13 Byond Lag infested buggy combat, but the moments you make with people like these.

It's harder and harder to find people to enjoy times like this with because said moments are few and far between when they get in the way of clicking on xeno/marine sprites.

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "females cannot wear heavy armour or rocket bags" LMAOOOOOOOO
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NethIafins View Post
    All I can say is that someone has to create their own server with whatever was in 2016 + better usability features and POPLOCK THE FUCK OUT OF IT

Then you will have your old roleplay, then you will have your old fear, old 3-4-5-6 hour rounds
    Has there ever been a definitive answer on why CM can't have multiple servers to accommodate the larger population it now has? If 200+ people is too many to have any semblance of RP and lags the server too much, is there a reason we don't split the server up and put population-locks on each one?

I still believe this to be the best solution to the lag issue and might help with the current RP one as well.