Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Control Points more atmospheric

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making Control Points more atmospheric

Issue: Control Points coming up will be basically vespene geysers from starcraft and look out as place asf for the game. It just breaks suspension of disbelief.

Idea: Well make the control points something more interesting. Make it a computer terminal you have to control, so you need to keep the room powered or you don't get the data. The main idea is marines want to get the data from the terminals for WY to make them happy and to give/unlock more tech and if they give all the info WY will give permission to nuke the colony. Meanwhile the alien's goal is to capture there way through the tech tree with each boiled capture giving more evolution points or something.

Basically marines want data and aliens want captures, make the control points more lore friendly and asymmetrical.

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Muh idea

For benos, point should be like a place with old eggs in it/source of the infection. They should need to make a pylon or special hive structure on it to use it

For muhrines, I like the terminal data upload idea. It should need a powered APC to pull off, and maybe finding data from the area around it (disks, papers, manuals, folders) should speed up the upload progress
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could one up it,

For marines they got defcon papers scaled down as getting them does give data a bit but more importantly... If they get a chain completed they can 2x a terminal and getting 5 chains will say let 5 terminals be 2x giving a total of 10x instead of 5x for controlling all 5. Also get data for bringing back dead aliens and such.

Aliens I prefer the capture for evo points becuase the whole slick of the aliens is they are a parasitic race that infests organisms to make more of themselves. Capturing been feeling for a long while to taken a backseat and this is meant to bring it to the forefront.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My god this is gonna be so fucking bad. Just replace the marine textures with the TF2 mercenaries.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMountain View Post
    My god this is gonna be so fucking bad. Just replace the marine textures with the TF2 mercenaries.
    Err I think they were going with starcraft tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYTPgW5PJFU

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tiberium.

Or worse: Phoron. Since its already used in P.A.C.M.A.N. as fuel.

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Tiberium.

Or worse: Phoron. Since its already used in P.A.C.M.A.N. as fuel.
    what about unobtainium

beno avatars when?
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan_albatross View Post
    snip
    If we are supposed to have some shitty control point, then atleast let it be something interesting, with lore behind it. Who cares about some computer terminal, or geothermal geyser shit? Nobody.

Tiberium, or some cleverly reworked phoron with would be interesting. But we won't have it for sure, don't you cry, we will have something boring, old and stale. Then you can cry its boring, old and stale, but atleast no tear will fall on the LV ground, because its actually an interesting resource, not LRP nothingness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Tiberium, or some cleverly reworked phoron with would be interesting. But we won't have it for sure, don't you cry, we will have something boring, old and stale. Then you can cry its boring, old and stale, but atleast no tear will fall on the LV ground, because its actually an interesting resource, not LRP nothingness.
    Might be interesting, my only concern is that resource nodes might look out of place on maps like Prison or CORSAT. Even if they were redesigned to look like storage silos, mining might still look janky.
    Luca Jagemann, the cynical colonial with the prescription glasses.

Ancient Synth Williams, on another rescue mission in Brazil.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe pull off map specific skins for control points, for now I think we can just make CM among us and make computer terminals force you to do minigames (minigames in byond engine, god help us all)
    Vibing as: Dismas Hind.

THE BOIS (And gals)
    https://pastebin.com/DHCmg4nM

Shoutouts to Manezinho for the pixelart