User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Combat Amputations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on Combat Amputations

I don't know how many people have been tracking this niche issue, but as someone who plays squad medic a lot, being able to perform amputations out in the field is actually a pretty good and useful thing. Unfortunately, since the skills? rework, Squad Medics don't have the ability to perform amputations anymore. Now I know, it seems like preventing marines from cutting each others' heads off on accident (I admit nothing) seems like it might not be the worst change, but hear me out: having the ability to instantly remove one (or more) -100 damage limb(s) from someone who would otherwise be unrevivable gives Medics the ability to save more people and increases the skill ceiling for the role. I wanted to make this post because I didn't see a lot of people using this trick, and then the ability to do it was removed, so I thought perhaps nobody was aware that this "perk" was lost?

Ideally, if this system were to be fleshed out, every medic would have a "bone saw" or something for doing combat amputations, but the person they were doing the amputation to would have to consent to it (a la the "someone is trying to revive you" pop-up when defibbing).

While amputations are definitely not something to mess around with, I wonder if people would be more open to the concept of medics having this tool available if they knew it would potentially increase their odds of getting revived? Curious what other people think about this. Also, please remember that because this is my first post on this forums you are legally required to be nice to me. Thanks!
    Last edited by Swayze; 10-19-2020 at 10:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This used to be a feature.
    And it used to be fucking amazing.

Basically you used to be able to hack a limb off to remove all of the brute dmg from a limb. Easy way to get them under the defib threshold at the cost of a limb.
    You could do it with ANY sharp object. It was great hacking a marine to pieces in the fob and seeing some new PFC panic and try to PB you.

I loved it.
    But alas, it wasn't to be. It was first changed so that if you cut a limb off, the brute damage was moved to other limbs, before it was removed all together.

I unrionically would love to see this feature return. It's a staple of the peak space-nam I'm nostaglic for.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only if cybernetic arms return to the character menu for roundstart application. Balance them somehow and it will be lit.

Synthetic Council Member QuickLoad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozentsbgg View Post

Basically you used to be able to hack a limb off to remove all of the brute dmg from a limb. Easy way to get them under the defib threshold at the cost of a limb.
    You could do it with ANY sharp object. It was great hacking a marine to pieces in the fob and seeing some new PFC panic and try to PB you.

I loved it.
    But alas, it wasn't to be. It was first changed so that if you cut a limb off, the brute damage was moved to other limbs, before it was removed all together.

I unrionically would love to see this feature return. It's a staple of the peak space-nam I'm nostaglic for.
    Honestly, this post sells me on the idea. It would be great to see it. Nowadays I don't know if it's cause I've played this for awhile but like.. medical resuscitation is so one dimensional. There's no secret trick to anything, it's all the same. That's why it's so refreshing when I see dumb shit like ghetto surgery on the dropship or 3 marines getting surgery at once on a single operating table with basic painkillers.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozentsbgg View Post

I loved it.

Agreed.

The removal of combat amputations lowered the medic skill cap, by removing a feature to deal with corpses with major damage.

The increase of medic cap + the (quite awful and unbalanced) addition of mini-medic, make the role basically a glorified defibber.

Medic used to be an intense role, bodies all around you, treating multiple people at times, even at times being forced to make the hard choices.
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish >,<

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making nuggets to revive them once again? Hell yea.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the real og's remember when CMO's had to order executions of marines before they bursted

and then that got nerfed with larvae that still live in people's bodies even after death

same thing with this

Whitelisted Captain BatHoovyDood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly this kinda stuff is the old-cm stuff that I want to see come back the most. Medic is just too clean and simple, we need some of that grit back.
    - Squad Leader Cassandra 'Boston' Ellis (and overconfident CO)

(Probably already dead)

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bring back husking
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang