Byond ID?
    trustscience44

CM Character?
    Zuup 'Science' Pools

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    west

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    20-30

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    yes but not ss13

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    goons

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    none on the new forums

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    no

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    yes

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    yes on CM from xeno, suicided as an infinite immortal ghost larva on test round

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Absolutely I enjoy communicating either in voice chat or in text, as long paragraphs with many words. Please see below as an example.

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    First, If its ahelp I would ask the guilty what's up.
    Check guilty parties notes, check guilty parties recent playtimes.
    But, IMO, I don’t feel like I need to get involved as a mod because this has already been handled IC.
    MP’s can perma brig the guilty guy for murder, maybe the CO can come BE them, its handled. I feel that in Permabrig the player can either sit there for the entire round or they can cryo. If it's some guy doing this every round that's an edge case and should be handled differently, perhaps a ban.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    As far as I know the current system for predator violations has nothing in-game any longer. We handle that on the forums so I would direct them to the forums to report the predator and for the predator council review.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    If its roundstart it could be a late join IO or PO who just joined 2 seconds after start, theres roles which start nude in cryo and force you to run around naked, besides those edge cases.
    I’d check their playtimes and notes. Is it a new player or old player? This is an IC issue that MP’s can handle.
    In my opinion nudity as a marine is IC.
    I feel the dev changes to armorless marines are punishing enough to limit the appeal of nudity, so that you won’t see nude players a second time on the frontline.
    If they are a new player I’d see if there was an SEA around, well, then we have a team of mentors, so I’d direct the appropriate response.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    This is a community of volunteers that take time out of their lives and there's no reason for extreme rudeness in direct messages, which in real life would be a simple one on one conversation. I would speak to another admin about the conversation i’m having with that player first, if it came to spam vitriol etc etc from that player.

But sometimes people get pissed, maybe they are just raging like a gamer nerd, a second voice or opinion goes a long way to assuage the individual.
    I would be happy to do this, to speak to an admin+ if a player requested. I have a strong stance on individual actions having consequences, everyone can control themselves, and clearly if that player can not and they are sending me 5000 word essays of hate and rage in direct messages, then they should go to timeout for a while which should help them learn or improve this skill.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    I would check the play times and notes of ‘John Doe’.
    Message the player, ask them what's up for a chitchat and if they are aware of our rules. Give them maybe 30 seconds or so to pick a new name, or change their name for them. But I would definitely note that players account with the time and date of the meme name and what I changed it to.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    Unless they are running around in the firing range I don’t think that would be appropriate nor without a threat for exceptions going on. Agents are able to use lethals but I feel agents are kinda ambiguous for that context currently. Normally I would say, 99% of time that's an IC issue the MP’s should handle. I would check the players notes and playtime and if there are no MP’s around message that player.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    I would let the survivor know about the recent changes to survivor roles and first engagement with USCM drop. Checking their playtime and notes to make sure it's not a repetitive weekly thing. But IMO, since the survivor will 100% get murdered by every single marine, especially Delta, after opening fire on marines at their first LZ drop. I know that the survivor would have to be revived on the Almayer and face punishment as IC on the Almayer from the CMP or MP’s, which I have seen happen in the past.
    I doubt that's still acceptable with the current changes, also whenever this happens Marines typically permakill the surv. I’d make sure to note them and what concluded.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    I would let the guilty player know that with good behavior they can earn access to the hydroponics lab and garden area!

Seriously though! I would see what was going on with both parties with some chitchat and diving into their player notes. See why the MP did this first off.

It seems pretty simple, a basic charge we see MP’s brig people often for during the 20min of prep before deployment. As I am pulling up marine law it looks like 10 minutes, maybe a couple double charges, sure the MP could do more charges but PERMA from theft and breaking/entering, not without being ignorant of the MP rules, no way to do that math that I see from the Marine Law Wiki page.

Also, I’d wonder what was up with the MP clearly not following the Law as intended, I see it as the MP who is wasting time by causing ahelps and forcing us to fix it. The MP could have just done what every other normal MP would have done that doesn’t get ahelped and all this mess and ahelping would have been avoided in the first place.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    It depends on a few things, I would do nothing most likely because I don’t like interfering with rounds.

Now, of course on one hand if the round is 3 hours. I will look at the round and see the appropriate course of action. There's a lot of factors; is it either highpop or low pop, what time of the day, and who is going to be coming on in other timezones as the typical cyclical population of the server goes, what's the status of the IO’s, how well is the hive defended, is it an omegafob? is it an omega hivelord hive, Marines can get more defcon, etc, etc. It really depends on a lot of factors.

These days the developers have made sure both sides have useful systems to repopulate their ranks and they work pretty damn well.

But, Encourage either side depending on the things above?
    Let's be honest and it really takes an incredible Queen to come back from 4 xenos, but it does happen (not often) but it does happen, and we typically don’t end the round for that comeback to happen, even though we know that the xenos will most likely get fucked up when they crash land, we still let it go on.

For some round ending encouragement, I’ve seen giant boilers or oops asteroids hit the Almayer, or power outages, or research corrupt hive, etc etc. Depends a lot on the context of each round and I’d try to keep that same spirit.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Okay this one seems complicated.

How many patients though? Is it one? Is it like 5? I would look at the medics playtimes and speak to the player about what was going on. If that player logged off and if that medic has over 10 hours of play time then I would recommend the maximum time ban possible. I take a hard stance on these types of ‘meme’s, our server does not need ‘memes’ of these kinds anymore. No one likes this shit, keep it fun by giving the player a chance to come back.

I would talk to the player and ask them what happened, I would look at the context and notes of that players history.

Mistakes happen to us all and no one is perfect at anything, let alone at every role, especially the medic or doctors roles. Medic can be mentally exhausting / confusing for new players.I have a lot of time as a medic and as a doctor this would help me identify issues with these kinds of incidents.
    I'd give them suggestions to try a less intense field role while they level up their knowledge of meds and injury interactions for this server. One or two OD’s, sure that happens all the time because of accidents in the field, or delays refreshing their medical nanoui etc etc, and I would understand these issues if a player brought them up. However, if there's corpses with 4-5 OD’s on every med etc that's a lot different. However, IMO these days it is pretty damn hard to make a marine unrevivable, unless you are malicious on purpose. It depends a lot on the player and their notes and interactions after the mistakes.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    Eorg rules do not apply to hostile enemies.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    Round start shenanigans happen. That is a mild round start shenanigan. I would first make sure they were not disarming or stealing gear from specs to delay a spec from reaching their area or other things that would prevent another player from playing their round as intended because that would be a lot more than just shenanigans.. I would check the players notes and play times in case this was a daily thing from them.
    Otherwise, this would be an IC issue handled by MPs. MP’s brig them for assault charges etc.
    I would tell the player who ahelped to go and report this attack/theft to the MP, SO, SL etc.
    Spending time in the brig is good, that player won’t like spending 20 minutes in the brig and I feel that it is important to goto an MP here, because IMO it shows that the system we have in game for IC punishments is working as intended and so the mods don’t have to mess with anything.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    That is an IC issue and I would hope an MP would grab them on it. Fist fights shouldn’t become gun fights they should have got an MP. As Mod I would have discretion to determine appropriate response right? If I could I would heal the dead marine, then allow the MP’s to do their IC permabriging of the murderer or maybe the captain would BE him, the system works! All would stay IC and of course notes like everything.
    Another possibility, maybe it's a player that has 20 notes for escalating, could become a ban. I’d make sure to check the notes and talk to everyone to be positive.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    I would have Ares send out the loyal and highly defensive vent spiders.

Seriously however, We see this a lot and there are usually MOOCs about it or Ares messages. I mean, we usually have a dozen people ahelp and mods make a mutiny leader and it goes on.

Except it usually fucks up because no one does it right or understands how to do it.
    I would check out and figure out what was going on, figure out how it's an improper mutiny.
    As I said before I don't like to interfere with the round, but if I had to I would try to find a creative RP way to protect CiC, if some stage of the mutiny messed up.

Are the marines just ungas and don’t understand, did the leader fuck up, or what happen to make it improper because there are several things that could have gone wrong from ignorance or what not.

So, if it all went to shit, I would try to explain to everyone in MOOC what goes on during a mutiny the mechanics of it and what to do. They are pretty rare so it's not surprising most players don’t understand the workings.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    A lot of these rules recently changed so I might first let the marines know about these changes as a warning.

Also it really depends, The N word is out, etc etc.
    However, asking a CL named ‘GoldBerg’ how much gold they have in their purse is considered okay.
    So it would really depend on the context, UNLESS its blatant shit words.

I would take a look at what was going on and the chat history. I would tell the group of marines to stop their shit in MOOC. There's a BIG difference between roleplay and racism and what's offensive. I think I can see that difference and would make the right choices.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Whenever I saw this happen I always wondered about that player. Sometimes we would see fully clothed and readied marines just open fire at brief going nuts with nades. And of course there would be the naked marines with guns that you might raise an eyebrow at as they walked past your color prep area.

I always felt that getting dressed up implies intent to obfuscate/subterfuge/deceive which is a lot more than a naked marine being a dick. Either way, I would aheal the marines and then jobban that player from marine and apply a ban.

My reasoning, We should make player come and explain themselves on the forum as they chose not to explain what happened on our time by logging off, so that player can go to the forums on their time, logon and explain it to us.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Suicide larva illegal, warning or jobban for a few days or more, after I speak with them and depending on notes.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    This happens all the time in the round and mods are always warning the hive.

Therefore, as a mod I will have prepared a statement in notepad++ for things such as this, something like XOOC “No Xeno’s you are not the JoJo Anime Hive or the Imposter Gang, If I hear another person say uWu mommy give me hot plasma there will be punishment and bands.”

It always changes, whatever meme is next month and then the next month.

The Queen can handle insults on her own through warnings/devolution/hive banishment.
    However, it could be extreme in content and I would take a stronger action against that player.

If the xeno is singing country roads or katy perry or something I’d give them a message to chill out just a tad.

New queens really get hammered hard in xeno chat by aggressive and insulting senior xeno players and it is always sad to see that new Queen not trying to be Queen again. I still think a more relaxed and neutral option such as ‘Xeno Mute’ on that rude Xeno for a period of time would be useful by the Queen.

Also I looked and as far as I can tell from Discord, REEEEE is allowed again.

Of course, overall, I would warn that player about ‘memes’ and note it down because one person can lead everyone off a cliff.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    I would let the player know that basic engagement has changed. Xenos are now aware of the ship above them and that humans will come down from this ship to the colony. I would let the player know that they no longer have to say metal bird or metal turtle and that the other player's usage was acceptable.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    Unless it was a custom event current expected contact is for other things. Aliens are not part of expected contact at the colony at this time. So I would tell that player thank you and let the Command Staff player know about our current policies.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    If its 3 people in a pod? One marine and 2 others there is no problem with the EVAC Pod leaving. I would let that marine know that only the CO can do that and that they have to find another pod. Also checking their notes to see if they always try to play off murder as RP. I would warn them and note that player depending on history.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    I don’t feel this is as significant as rude direct messages to staff through amessages.
    I’ll explain my reasoning why, Dchat salt is common chat imo, at the same time though LOOC shouldn’t be used for that stuff at all.

I would first let them know to just post on the forums about it in the staff report section because what they are doing right now would only get them in more trouble. Also, idiot and retard are not a big deal to me so I would ignore it as I do not consider that rude, however, if it is to the point that they are all over Dchat and keep escalating or even if they are spamming the chat then they are affecting the game and setting a bad example for other players so it becomes a problem and I would have to let them know to chill out or there are consequences.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    Fake being ssd myself until the player logs off.

But seriously I would let them know our current rules and we don’t do things like that.
    I would also let them know they will burst as a larva so they can still play as xeno for this round after they burst.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I’d speak with the staff member in the admin chat and maybe get another opinion, since we are a team let's make sure we all do the best teamwork we can. If I saw something I knew was incorrect I would seek out clarification from higher up the chain.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    Disagreements happen and should happen, when people care that's how systems are improved. Mistakes happen as well. The ban will go to the forum and all of the senior mods and leads will look into it, and determine if it was indeed inappropriate or not. There's systems in place for this, for both the players and review of the moderators as well. I would not exacerbate it anymore and most likely stay out of the conversation unless I was pretty damn sure I could add something positive to their exchange.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    I’d like to add to the server with events, helping to keep the good people around, tossing the bad out, Dealing with issues to keep the round flowing. The server has been steady and only improving for years and I think I could add a lot to the team and would really like to help out.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    First and foremost, A mod should be honest and unbiased and ready to accept input from others while putting the server first. Also to help others while staying calm and trying to calm others without taking sides.

Also, if they use their in-game nick name with ‘nickname’ or the evil unspeakable “nickname”.

Anything else you
    yes

Senior Admin & Training Overseer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    First, If its ahelp I would ask the guilty what's up.
    Check guilty parties notes, check guilty parties recent playtimes.
    But, IMO, I don’t feel like I need to get involved as a mod because this has already been handled IC.
    MP’s can perma brig the guilty guy for murder, maybe the CO can come BE them, its handled. I feel that in Permabrig the player can either sit there for the entire round or they can cryo. If it's some guy doing this every round that's an edge case and should be handled differently, perhaps a ban.
    Grief is an OOC issue and even if the person who has caused the grief is in MP custody and being dealt with IC'ly, it's still a good idea to at the very least note them for the incident. One person being randomly shot wouldn't be that big of a deal so a ban may not neccessarily be needed depending on the responses they give to you in ahelps. Adminhealing the person who was shot is also a good call if you've determined that the player who shot them was griefing or otherwise had a poor reason to shoot the victim in the first place. Investigate it as best you can, basically.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    As far as I know the current system for predator violations has nothing in-game any longer. We handle that on the forums so I would direct them to the forums to report the predator and for the predator council review.
    This answer is fine to me; We as staff can't deal with issues involving specifically whitelist rulebreaks. The best we can do is do what we can to investigate for a potential future report.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    If its roundstart it could be a late join IO or PO who just joined 2 seconds after start, theres roles which start nude in cryo and force you to run around naked, besides those edge cases.
    I’d check their playtimes and notes. Is it a new player or old player? This is an IC issue that MP’s can handle.
    In my opinion nudity as a marine is IC.
    I feel the dev changes to armorless marines are punishing enough to limit the appeal of nudity, so that you won’t see nude players a second time on the frontline.
    If they are a new player I’d see if there was an SEA around, well, then we have a team of mentors, so I’d direct the appropriate response.
    Nothing wrong with this answer, though I will point out as a moderator you have access to mentorhelps and the SEA role as well, so if you wanted you could act as the mentor instead of looking for one.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    This is a community of volunteers that take time out of their lives and there's no reason for extreme rudeness in direct messages, which in real life would be a simple one on one conversation. I would speak to another admin about the conversation i’m having with that player first, if it came to spam vitriol etc etc from that player.

But sometimes people get pissed, maybe they are just raging like a gamer nerd, a second voice or opinion goes a long way to assuage the individual.
    I would be happy to do this, to speak to an admin+ if a player requested. I have a strong stance on individual actions having consequences, everyone can control themselves, and clearly if that player can not and they are sending me 5000 word essays of hate and rage in direct messages, then they should go to timeout for a while which should help them learn or improve this skill.
    Thanks to rule 0.2; (Rule 0.2 If a staff member gives you an instruction or makes a ruling, do not argue with the staff member and follow the instruction/accept the ruling. You may file a staff report on the forums or take it up with their manager directly if you do not agree with the decision made after the round ends. Arguing with a staff member may lead to you being punished. Staff members are volunteers and will not tolerate toxicity or hostility during the course of their duties.) If someone is being excessively argumentitive or hostile in adminhelps, then you can just slap them with a ban or a note if they don't listen to you to stop. There's no need to consult any other member of staff on this one. As far as I recall if anyone demands to speak to a higher member of staff you don't have to give in to that demand either.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    I would check the play times and notes of ‘John Doe’.
    Message the player, ask them what's up for a chitchat and if they are aware of our rules. Give them maybe 30 seconds or so to pick a new name, or change their name for them. But I would definitely note that players account with the time and date of the meme name and what I changed it to.
    Decent answer. An observation I've made is that most people with silly names like John Doe seem to be newer players and sometimes need prompting on how to respond to an ahelp.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    Unless they are running around in the firing range I don’t think that would be appropriate nor without a threat for exceptions going on. Agents are able to use lethals but I feel agents are kinda ambiguous for that context currently. Normally I would say, 99% of time that's an IC issue the MP’s should handle. I would check the players notes and playtime and if there are no MP’s around message that player.
    At a glance I don't see anything wrong with this.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    I would let the survivor know about the recent changes to survivor roles and first engagement with USCM drop. Checking their playtime and notes to make sure it's not a repetitive weekly thing. But IMO, since the survivor will 100% get murdered by every single marine, especially Delta, after opening fire on marines at their first LZ drop. I know that the survivor would have to be revived on the Almayer and face punishment as IC on the Almayer from the CMP or MP’s, which I have seen happen in the past.
    I doubt that's still acceptable with the current changes, also whenever this happens Marines typically permakill the surv. I’d make sure to note them and what concluded.
    Fair answer. Don't forget to note the incident down, but allowing them to face IC consequences whilst noting them about it seems fair to me.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    I would let the guilty player know that with good behavior they can earn access to the hydroponics lab and garden area!

Seriously though! I would see what was going on with both parties with some chitchat and diving into their player notes. See why the MP did this first off.

It seems pretty simple, a basic charge we see MP’s brig people often for during the 20min of prep before deployment. As I am pulling up marine law it looks like 10 minutes, maybe a couple double charges, sure the MP could do more charges but PERMA from theft and breaking/entering, not without being ignorant of the MP rules, no way to do that math that I see from the Marine Law Wiki page.

Also, I’d wonder what was up with the MP clearly not following the Law as intended, I see it as the MP who is wasting time by causing ahelps and forcing us to fix it. The MP could have just done what every other normal MP would have done that doesn’t get ahelped and all this mess and ahelping would have been avoided in the first place.
    So would you note the MP player? Ban the MP player? Demand they release the prisoner at once? The first half of the question makes sense, investigating why the MP arrested them and what they were thinking, but you haven't mentioned what your punishment or verdict would be. Mentioning that the MP is wasting your time isn't promising; There are any number of reasons that the MP could have chosen to perma-brig the marine and not all of them are because the MP was trying to cause trouble on purpose to force us to fix it.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    It depends on a few things, I would do nothing most likely because I don’t like interfering with rounds.

Now, of course on one hand if the round is 3 hours. I will look at the round and see the appropriate course of action. There's a lot of factors; is it either highpop or low pop, what time of the day, and who is going to be coming on in other timezones as the typical cyclical population of the server goes, what's the status of the IO’s, how well is the hive defended, is it an omegafob? is it an omega hivelord hive, Marines can get more defcon, etc, etc. It really depends on a lot of factors.

These days the developers have made sure both sides have useful systems to repopulate their ranks and they work pretty damn well.

But, Encourage either side depending on the things above?
    Let's be honest and it really takes an incredible Queen to come back from 4 xenos, but it does happen (not often) but it does happen, and we typically don’t end the round for that comeback to happen, even though we know that the xenos will most likely get fucked up when they crash land, we still let it go on.

For some round ending encouragement, I’ve seen giant boilers or oops asteroids hit the Almayer, or power outages, or research corrupt hive, etc etc. Depends a lot on the context of each round and I’d try to keep that same spirit.
    Whilst moderators can't run any big events like power outages or spawning corrupted hives and definitely not any giant boilers, we do have other tools at our disposal in the form of queen mother announcements to give the xenos a push to get on with the round. It's the best we can do, though I can see where you're coming from when you say xenos would most likely lose the ensuing fight; it's their problem for forcing the marines to evacuate with their numbers being so low in the first place. If you're not up to that, you can always ask for help.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Okay this one seems complicated.

How many patients though? Is it one? Is it like 5? I would look at the medics playtimes and speak to the player about what was going on. If that player logged off and if that medic has over 10 hours of play time then I would recommend the maximum time ban possible. I take a hard stance on these types of ‘meme’s, our server does not need ‘memes’ of these kinds anymore. No one likes this shit, keep it fun by giving the player a chance to come back.

I would talk to the player and ask them what happened, I would look at the context and notes of that players history.

Mistakes happen to us all and no one is perfect at anything, let alone at every role, especially the medic or doctors roles. Medic can be mentally exhausting / confusing for new players.I have a lot of time as a medic and as a doctor this would help me identify issues with these kinds of incidents.
    I'd give them suggestions to try a less intense field role while they level up their knowledge of meds and injury interactions for this server. One or two OD’s, sure that happens all the time because of accidents in the field, or delays refreshing their medical nanoui etc etc, and I would understand these issues if a player brought them up. However, if there's corpses with 4-5 OD’s on every med etc that's a lot different. However, IMO these days it is pretty damn hard to make a marine unrevivable, unless you are malicious on purpose. It depends a lot on the player and their notes and interactions after the mistakes.
    It's generally advised that you don't deal with a situation that you yourself are involved in as a moderator. If you are, the best thing you can do is adminhelp and get another moderator to handle it for you. The only exception to this is if there's nobody else online and you absolutely cannot wait for someone else to hop on and help you. I wouldn't say bwoinking the person who is overdosing people when you yourself are a medic on the field is something you should be doing. Assuming that you're handling someone elses adminhelp regarding the same situation your answer is good.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    Eorg rules do not apply to hostile enemies.
    Nothing to add here.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    Round start shenanigans happen. That is a mild round start shenanigan. I would first make sure they were not disarming or stealing gear from specs to delay a spec from reaching their area or other things that would prevent another player from playing their round as intended because that would be a lot more than just shenanigans.. I would check the players notes and play times in case this was a daily thing from them.
    Otherwise, this would be an IC issue handled by MPs. MP’s brig them for assault charges etc.
    I would tell the player who ahelped to go and report this attack/theft to the MP, SO, SL etc.
    Spending time in the brig is good, that player won’t like spending 20 minutes in the brig and I feel that it is important to goto an MP here, because IMO it shows that the system we have in game for IC punishments is working as intended and so the mods don’t have to mess with anything.
    Nothing to add here either.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    That is an IC issue and I would hope an MP would grab them on it. Fist fights shouldn’t become gun fights they should have got an MP. As Mod I would have discretion to determine appropriate response right? If I could I would heal the dead marine, then allow the MP’s to do their IC permabriging of the murderer or maybe the captain would BE him, the system works! All would stay IC and of course notes like everything.
    Another possibility, maybe it's a player that has 20 notes for escalating, could become a ban. I’d make sure to check the notes and talk to everyone to be positive.
    This is not an IC issue, as this is an example of Improper Escalation. If you're being punched, you shouldn't retaliate with lethal weaponry right off the bat. Noting them for this and warning them to avoid doing so in the future would be the best way to go about it, slapping a ban if they've been noted recently for IE.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    I would have Ares send out the loyal and highly defensive vent spiders.

Seriously however, We see this a lot and there are usually MOOCs about it or Ares messages. I mean, we usually have a dozen people ahelp and mods make a mutiny leader and it goes on.

Except it usually fucks up because no one does it right or understands how to do it.
    I would check out and figure out what was going on, figure out how it's an improper mutiny.
    As I said before I don't like to interfere with the round, but if I had to I would try to find a creative RP way to protect CiC, if some stage of the mutiny messed up.

Are the marines just ungas and don’t understand, did the leader fuck up, or what happen to make it improper because there are several things that could have gone wrong from ignorance or what not.

So, if it all went to shit, I would try to explain to everyone in MOOC what goes on during a mutiny the mechanics of it and what to do. They are pretty rare so it's not surprising most players don’t understand the workings.
    If an improper mutiny is taking place the absolute first thing you should be trying to do is stopping the mutiny from continuing. Mutinies tend to lead to a lot of deaths so the quicker you can respond and shut it down the better. Typically done with a quick MOOC telling everyone the mutiny is invalid and to calm down, maybe telling them how to properly start a mutiny. You definitely shouldn't be trying to make it into an event, since this would just encourage people to continue to break the rules by starting improper mutinies in the future.

A proper mutiny is when a mutiny is ahelped by the leader with a valid reason and 5 people to go along with him. They'll be turned into a mutineer leader/Mutineers, and they can start the mutiny themselves from there.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    A lot of these rules recently changed so I might first let the marines know about these changes as a warning.

Also it really depends, The N word is out, etc etc.
    However, asking a CL named ‘GoldBerg’ how much gold they have in their purse is considered okay.
    So it would really depend on the context, UNLESS its blatant shit words.

I would take a look at what was going on and the chat history. I would tell the group of marines to stop their shit in MOOC. There's a BIG difference between roleplay and racism and what's offensive. I think I can see that difference and would make the right choices.
    Seem fair to me. Racism or any other form of hate speech is not allowed any more, so it may not just be the N-word that you'd need to keep an eye out for.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Whenever I saw this happen I always wondered about that player. Sometimes we would see fully clothed and readied marines just open fire at brief going nuts with nades. And of course there would be the naked marines with guns that you might raise an eyebrow at as they walked past your color prep area.

I always felt that getting dressed up implies intent to obfuscate/subterfuge/deceive which is a lot more than a naked marine being a dick. Either way, I would aheal the marines and then jobban that player from marine and apply a ban.

My reasoning, We should make player come and explain themselves on the forum as they chose not to explain what happened on our time by logging off, so that player can go to the forums on their time, logon and explain it to us.
    We don't job-ban people from squad marine under any circumstances. Otherwise, applying a ban is perfectly fine. I'd go as far as applying a perma-ban, as they clearly don't care about the server if they're just going to gun people down and log off.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Suicide larva illegal, warning or jobban for a few days or more, after I speak with them and depending on notes.
    Job-bans are permanent when applied (unlike normal bans), but otherwise, warning+Note or a ban for repeated offenses makes sense.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    This happens all the time in the round and mods are always warning the hive.

Therefore, as a mod I will have prepared a statement in notepad++ for things such as this, something like XOOC “No Xeno’s you are not the JoJo Anime Hive or the Imposter Gang, If I hear another person say uWu mommy give me hot plasma there will be punishment and bands.”

It always changes, whatever meme is next month and then the next month.

The Queen can handle insults on her own through warnings/devolution/hive banishment.
    However, it could be extreme in content and I would take a stronger action against that player.

If the xeno is singing country roads or katy perry or something I’d give them a message to chill out just a tad.

New queens really get hammered hard in xeno chat by aggressive and insulting senior xeno players and it is always sad to see that new Queen not trying to be Queen again. I still think a more relaxed and neutral option such as ‘Xeno Mute’ on that rude Xeno for a period of time would be useful by the Queen.

Also I looked and as far as I can tell from Discord, REEEEE is allowed again.

Of course, overall, I would warn that player about ‘memes’ and note it down because one person can lead everyone off a cliff.
    Insulting the queen is something I personally don't see an issue with unless the queen adminhelps, which is when it would become a problem. Otherwise, it's best if you bwoink the xenomorphs who are saying LRP things for LRP and note them/ban them for it instead of using XOOC to shout at all the xenomorphs, unless there's a vast majority of them causing trouble.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    I would let the player know that basic engagement has changed. Xenos are now aware of the ship above them and that humans will come down from this ship to the colony. I would let the player know that they no longer have to say metal bird or metal turtle and that the other player's usage was acceptable.
    Seems fine to me.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    Unless it was a custom event current expected contact is for other things. Aliens are not part of expected contact at the colony at this time. So I would tell that player thank you and let the Command Staff player know about our current policies.
    This is correct. Marines know aliens exist ect. ect. but they DO NOT know they are on the colony.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    If its 3 people in a pod? One marine and 2 others there is no problem with the EVAC Pod leaving. I would let that marine know that only the CO can do that and that they have to find another pod. Also checking their notes to see if they always try to play off murder as RP. I would warn them and note that player depending on history.
    I believe this question is assuming that there is a pod at max capacity (3 people) and the marine who is murdering someone else is the fourth. Context matters, but for the sake of this question, lets say it's the only pod the marine knows are around within a safe distance. The other pods have left and he doesn't have time to go to another pod. In that case, it's acceptable as a roleplay reason to kill someone for a position on the escape pod, you don't need to be the CO to do it. If there's other pods readily available nearby and/or the marine isn't about to be slaughtered by some xenos, then it's not acceptable. Context matters, though.

ayer insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    I don’t feel this is as significant as rude direct messages to staff through amessages.
    I’ll explain my reasoning why, Dchat salt is common chat imo, at the same time though LOOC shouldn’t be used for that stuff at all.

I would first let them know to just post on the forums about it in the staff report section because what they are doing right now would only get them in more trouble. Also, idiot and retard are not a big deal to me so I would ignore it as I do not consider that rude, however, if it is to the point that they are all over Dchat and keep escalating or even if they are spamming the chat then they are affecting the game and setting a bad example for other players so it becomes a problem and I would have to let them know to chill out or there are consequences.
    Rule 0.2 is all I have to add here.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    Fake being ssd myself until the player logs off.

But seriously I would let them know our current rules and we don’t do things like that.
    I would also let them know they will burst as a larva so they can still play as xeno for this round after they burst.
    It's an IC issue, but if you want to be nice and inform them of why you can't help them and why it's an IC issue, that's up to you.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I’d speak with the staff member in the admin chat and maybe get another opinion, since we are a team let's make sure we all do the best teamwork we can. If I saw something I knew was incorrect I would seek out clarification from higher up the chain.
    Seems fair. If they're not backing down on their incorrect ruling or false information then you may wish to drop the argument and bring it up with a manager instead of continuing.

All in all I liked some of your answers, but some answers weren't what I was looking for personally. I'll put my vote in as a -1 right now.

I may drop by and ask some questions when other people have pitched in, but this post is super long already.
    Last edited by JarekTheRaptor; 10-24-2020 at 04:02 AM. Reason: errors
    SURVIVOR GANG COUNCIL MEMBER

Survivor Gang In Action:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My name is Yuri Gennady Gregorovich and I endorse this App +1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jarek, thank you for replying to me and clarifying how I should have handled those IC/non-ic responses.

Ah yeah, Sorry about the length, I was hoping to convey to you actual answers from these scenarios because I didn't want it to look
    like I just copypasted the laws. I thought of these questions as scenarios where the information was known, I thought they
    were "what if" and "because of" type events and with the tacoma dome closed all year i have had excess free time for stuff.
    This is why I wanted to detail each question with my opinion within that context, as for anything in game I would always take
    the time to note, investigate, and see through to the end.

Wanted to clarify a few of the posts.

Player Mutiny:
    "If an improper mutiny is taking place the absolute first thing you should be trying to do is stopping the mutiny from continuing."
    I apologize for not being clearer here. Yes I agree with this statement and would take steps to end the mutiny right away.
    I was adding light humor to the question with the event and spiders possibility and would never do something like that in game to ruin the round.
    A lot of times in game people are confused by the mutiny process and I would use Mooc to make sure everyone knew if it was invalid or give an
    explanation of the games current process as soon as possible.
    Don't we have ways to stop things like this from mod tools, I would just put to sleep everyone in the local area, etc, and explain then,
    if something had to be done immediately.

So would you note the MP player? Ban the MP player? Demand they release the prisoner at once?
    Well here I interpreted the question as "this happened". The Player stole from Req, MP arrested the Player, gave them troll perma, thats it, nothing else.
    This example, from that context, non-violent + no property destruction, Stealing an attachment from Req is not permabrig worthy.
    In that context we have dozens of players going MP all day long, and they enforce the proper law from the stated example, therefore a MP not doing so,
    would be wasting time as its a deviation from the normal round.
    In this context, that player in permabrig will not be getting his time back if he was in the brig for 30minutes. There is no way to ever give this player time back.
    Normally investigate, correct, warn, note.

However, if its not a case of "this happened".

Then I would need to investigate the MP, check their story, find out the players story.
    I would ask the MP what laws they applied to the player and would tell the MP the proper laws and that trespassing + theft doesn't add up to over 20minutes.
    I would note the MP and tell them to give the player the proper time or if the players time had been served I would tell the MP to release them.
    That player is free to appeal to the CO or CMP, Only the CMP or CO can order the arrest of other MP's.
    If this MP has a history of repeatedly trolling the ship in the roll of MP then I would again note that player, look at their ban history,
    and if necessary ban them.
    Last edited by trustscience44; 10-26-2020 at 10:20 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy to begin with you did put effort into your application after reviewing it, Im gonna skip the points Jarek made because I agree with his responses to each issue. Instead of Echoing Jarek im gonna ask you a few questions. We do not expect you to automatically what to do because you have not done a moderating training as of yet. So here we Go!

1. Tell me why I should rate 1 on your moderating application

2. *situation* A person Ahelps : Admemes I'm new here and I do not know how to hold gun how do i get help
    -Notes
    no notes

3. *situation* A person joins and states an Erp text and it is his first offense how would you address him in this manner

- Introduction :

- Explanation :

-Punishment :

4. How could I trust you with power to issue out and enforce rules over the server

5.*situation* you get an AHelp in French *do note you can reply in french but reply in english to simplify the answer for my question* saying bonjour moi et mon frère qui est américain joue sur la même IP et nous avons besoin d'aide pour nous situer car nous sommes nouveaux dans le jeu

- Introduction :

- Explanation :

-Punishment :

6. you notice an moderator offering bad judgement and Deletes Delta who would you bring this to and how would you collect evidence ?

Good luck!
    Last edited by Jamesthebond; 10-26-2020 at 11:31 PM.
    Retired CSM Jonathon 'Ghost' Granger

Discord Jonathongun#0219

Senior Admin & Training Overseer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see; Well I don't see anything wrong with those two answers, and I can't completely expect you to understand procedure right from the get-go, so I'll forgive any mistakes you may (or may not) have made in your answers.

There were still some answers I didn't like, but there's not much we can't iron out with some good training and time. That being said, I'll keep my vote as a no for now, but I'm open to changing my opinion if you're able to convince other staff members to give you a chance. I'd throw some questions at you, but I don't have any right now, so I'll see what everyone else can come up with before commenting further.
    SURVIVOR GANG COUNCIL MEMBER

Survivor Gang In Action:

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen you often but when I saw you in the discord and ingame you seemed more than allright, no point running you through yet another dumb questions gauntlet so here is your +1
    Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My name is acute and I endorse this app
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey jamesthebond, thanks for getting back to me. I've added the answers below.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesthebond View Post
    Howdy to begin with you did put effort into your application after reviewing it, Im gonna skip the points Jarek made because I agree with his responses to each issue. Instead of Echoing Jarek im gonna ask you a few questions. We do not expect you to automatically what to do because you have not done a moderating training as of yet. So here we Go!

I'm a friendly player and haven't had notes in a very long time.
    I want to contribute to the team and keep the server going.
    I'm responsible and feel I can add a lot.

2. *situation* A person Ahelps : Admemes I'm new here and I do not know how to hold gun how do i get help
    -Notes
    no notes

help them in chat or spawn as SEA, show the new player their color prep and show a new player the firing range,
    show the new player that the wiki has all the keybinds as well.

3. *situation* A person joins and states an Erp text and it is his first offense how would you address him in this manner

- Introduction :

ERP is not allowed at all.

- Explanation :

if it is pg13 and not erotic sex i would warn, note, to be careful with the roleplay and euphemisms

-Punishment :

if its ERP stuff with another player i would ban that player/s as erp is not tolerated

4. How could I trust you with power to issue out and enforce rules over the server

I hope to earn your trust as a trialmod.
    Have not had notes in a year.
    I have matured a lot due to life situations and want to give back to this community,
    always making sure to uphold the integrity of the mod team.

5.*situation* you get an AHelp in French *do note you can reply in french but reply in english to simplify the answer for my question* saying bonjour moi et mon frère qui est américain joue sur la même IP et nous avons besoin d'aide pour nous situer car nous sommes nouveaux dans le jeu

- Introduction :

I would tell them its an english only server and to speak to me in english.

- Explanation :

As a Mod shouldn't I only be using english?
    Should I go and use google translate?
    I think the player should do that because its an English only server.

-Punishment :

You can't meta in game like that. mod observe them awhile to see if they talk in game to each other and are RP'ing like that on ingame COMS.
    OR if it was obvious they are beside each other IRL and never talking in game, etc metaing outloud.
    I would issue a ban to have them come resolve / explain at forums.

6. you notice an moderator offering bad judgement and Deletes Delta who would you bring this to and how would you collect evidence ?

I don't think a mod has the power to delete a delta player? Isn't that admin only?
    From my current understanding of the hierarchy I would bring it to a higher level smod or mod manager.
    If I saw a mod I would ask them what was the reasoning.
    If they continued to insist this incorrect way of doing things, I would speak to a manager.
    Last edited by trustscience44; 10-29-2020 at 09:21 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trustscience44 View Post
    hey jamesthebond, thanks for getting back to me. I've added the answers below.

I'm a friendly player and haven't had notes in a very long time.
    I want to contribute to the team and keep the server going.
    I'm responsible and feel I can add a lot.

-Notes
    no notes

help them in chat or spawn as SEA, show the new player their color prep and show a new player the firing range,
    show the new player that the wiki has all the keybinds as well.

- Introduction :

ERP is not allowed at all.

- Explanation :

if it is pg13 and not erotic sex i would warn, note, to be careful with the roleplay and euphemisms

-Punishment :

if its ERP stuff with another player i would ban that player/s as erp is not tolerated

I hope to earn your trust as a trialmod.
    Have not had notes in a year.
    I have matured a lot due to life situations and want to give back to this community,
    always making sure to uphold the integrity of the mod team.

- Introduction :

I would tell them its an english only server and to speak to me in english.

- Explanation :

As a Mod shouldn't I only be using english?
    Should I go and use google translate?
    I think the player should do that because its an English only server.

-Punishment :

You can't meta in game like that. mod observe them awhile to see if they talk in game to each other and are RP'ing like that on ingame COMS.
    OR if it was obvious they are beside each other IRL and never talking in game, etc metaing outloud.
    I would issue a ban to have them come resolve / explain at forums.

I don't think a mod has the power to delete a delta player? Isn't that admin only?
    From my current understanding of the hierarchy I would bring it to a higher level smod or mod manager.
    If I saw a mod I would ask them what was the reasoning.
    If they continued to insist this incorrect way of doing things, I would speak to a manager.
    Alrighty ill endorse your app good answers and yadda yadda here is your +1 and FYI moderators do have Delete powers and if they are abused it can lead to a harsh punishment but all in all good luck!
    Retired CSM Jonathon 'Ghost' Granger

Discord Jonathongun#0219