Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wulferion - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal InformationByond ID?
    Wulferion

Player Name You Use Most?
    Faerwald Wulfe

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    //showthrea...ight=wulferion | sticky ban | lifted

//showthrea...or-Application | mentor app | accepted

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC+1

What is your discord username and handle?
    Wulferion#0144

Basic Questions & StoryWhat do you think is the job of a Commander?
    I believe this question has two answers. IC wise the Commander is there to lead his crew, marines and shipside crew, to victory in an operation the Almayer was sent to do. He is to ensure his crew is safe, ML is being
    followed and all marines have clear orders and plan in place for the success of the mission. He is to lead his troops from the CIC and be the person who has the last word in almost everything happening on the ship or on the ground.

OOC wise however I think the main job of the Commander is to ensure the marine side players are enjoying their time playing CM. That means leading the ground troops and setting a strategy that is engaging for
    the marines and has a chance to succeed. He is there to mediate disputes among the crew as he has the last word in almost all matters shipside. In short not only is he to try and lead the marines to victory but he should also make sure that it's fun for the marine players to win or lose.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    I have been playing in the CIC for a long time now. Even though the statistics won't show it I have well above 100 hours played on XO alone not even mentioning the time I spent playing SO. Throughout my CM journey I was always careful, making sure I am ready for the next step up the chain of command. I finally came to believe I know enough to make the final step and become a CO, which is something I was hoping to do from the very first time I started playing in CIC. Command quickly became my favourite "department" and I believe myself to be a capable commander nowadays.

So the answer would probably be simply because I like the job.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    I believe I can contribute by being a reliable commander that is capable of doing his job. As I am also a mentor and teaching is something I enjoy a lot. I believe I can contribute by helping new SOs and XOs get into their role and become capable commanders themselves. Especially XOs since we probably all know that the first time being in charge can be stressful. And while I know XO and CO are getting merged soon, I still hold some hope in my heart we can keep the CO and XO duo intact.

And lastly I believe I can contribute by trying to get more people to enjoy RP. It's my intention to continue promoting RP and interactions among players as much as I can both in and outside the game. I am also hoping to focus more on shipside RP rather than deploying to the ground should I have XO leading the operation.

How will your Commanding Officer behave? Describe their character.
    I'm not gonna lie. I am not the most creative person in the world and most of my characters end up just being me with a twist.

That being said Faerwald Wulfe is a rational thinker that rarely lets emotion get the better of him. He is a scientist by heart being initially commissioned to the USCM to oversee RnD and special weapons projects. He has a medical degree and a masters degree in electrical engineering and biocomputing, thanks to this he is very much interested in anything there is to know about the Xenomorph species and tends to get involved with a lot of research projects going on under his command.

Even though he sometimes doesn't show it he cares about the people under his command and he is very kind and respectful to those he works with as long as it is returned. He keeps an open mind prefering to ask before he orders something but when he does give direct orders he expects them to be followed to the letter.

He really doesn't like UPP thanks to his family being forced to emigrate from their homeland when communists took over.

Name and briefly describe your Commanding Officer's own ship.
    USS Hyperion is a science frigate under the RnD division of USCM. If you never heard about it it's not surprising seeing as the Hyperion is usually operating in deep space performing top secret research in various areas. Most of the ship is comprised of laboratories with high tech equipment and full of researchers be it from the USCM or outside contractors under strict NDA. Its primary job is to conduct experiments and research safely in deep space away from the prying eyes of civilian companies and outside powers like the UPP and CLF. On occasion the Hyperion can be seen performing other tasks like surveying unexplored planets, observing anomalies in space or performing weapon testing. Thanks to its equipment and laboratories as well as a very skilled medical team used to work with strict containment procedures and the strangest of wounds and diseases the Hyperion was on occasions sent to colonies suffering from widespread pandemics to swiftly deal with the situation.

Thanks to its nature serving aboard the Hyperion are mostly officers with the few enlisted personnel being mostly in charge of security or supply duties. The crew aboard is highly trained and split between crisis response teams and exploratory teams when being deployed on special missions.

While the Hyperion is a science vessel it still carries a decent amount of armaments and can defend itself if attacked. It carries ship to ship missiles as well as two large caliber front facing cannons designed both for ship to ship combat as well as limited orbital bombardment. It is also usually fitted with all kinds of experimental weaponry currently being tested and while unreliable it can prove devastating in some situations.

However as previously stated, combat is not the primary focus and the Hyperion is not called to combat action unless responding to distress call or for very large fleet conflicts.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    I am not much of a writer so I chose the brief history option for my app. I hope it won't be too much of a problem.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

ExperienceHow experienced are you with the position of a Squad Leader (SL)?
    Experienced I would say. It has been some time since I played SL but I used to play the role quite a bit before I started playing SO. I was playing SL mainly to learn the maps and to get a feel for what squad leaders need from CIC but I spent some hours playing the role. I also played a few rounds recently with timelocks being readded in order to unlock SO again (i had many hours on XO but none on SO) and i believe i did a fine job. I don't like combat very much and that's why I don't play SL nowadays but if I am called to lead a squad I am up to the task.

How experienced are you with the position of a Staff Officer (SO)?
    A lot. While perhaps not putting as many hours into SO as I put in XO I spent a good amount of time playing SO when learning to command. I have been all the way from full CIC, through taking over requisions, being deployed to coordinate OBs all the way to leading the operation alone as SO. While I prefer the role of XO over SO I still do sometimes play SO, mainly when late joining with XO and SEA filled.

How experienced are you with the position of a Department Head?
    Depends on the department. I have never played CE and only been CMP and RO once if memory serves. Before I got into CIC roles I considered myself a CMO main and I spent a lot of time playing as CMO. I can run medbay myself if needed and I like to deploy doctors to the field assuming I know they are skilled. I also love to teach new doctors and researchers if they need it. As CMO i like to keep medbay running smooth and all my doctors are on standby to respond to emergencies. I also sometimes mass produce UNGA juice for the marines.

While I have not played much CMP or MPs for that matter I am used to dealing with them and ML issues on a daily basis. Lot of times I deal with ML situations as XO in captains stead should they let me and as SEA I find myself spending a lot of time in the brig making sure procedure is followed and nobody is being unjustly imprisoned.

As for RO while i do not enjoy the role i have been taking over requisitions multiple times as SO, XO or in some situations SEA. I know how to run the department, I just don't enjoy it.

How experienced are you with the position of the Executive Officer (XO)?
    As I said in my earlier answers I have a lot of experience with playing XO. It's by far my most favourite role and I have done almost all there is to do as XO (besides deploying to the ground). I've played XO for over 100 hours during the past 3 months and I have it set on high permanently. I have been XO on every map including ice colony, kutjevo and even WO. I have also been in command during events like colony or cultists. Many times I have led the ground troops, dealt with ML issues or boarders on the ship, took over requisitions or any other special tasks like diplomatic talks with representatives, processing survivors and so on.

I like to try and bring the roleplay aspect to my XO gameplay prefering to add a bit of RP fluff to pre-drop or post evac announcements and of course the briefing. I am also interested in interacting with the shipside crew from a position of commander however while leading the operation myself I prefer to focus on the ground at all times.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)?
    While I don't have every tiny detail of SOP and ML memorized, I always play with ML wiki page open in the background and I have been dealing with ML long enough to know how to deal with the situations that occur the most. Since I started playing SEA I have many times been advising the MPs on marine law matters and for what it's worth I have had people telling me I'm doing a good job.

ScenariosWhen do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used? List some examples of scenarios in which a battlefield execution would be correctly used.
    Battlefield execution is a very powerful tool the CO has at his disposal and it should not be used lightly. It i my opinion that BE should only be used when the person being executed is borderline griefing or if a major crime punishable by execution happens while deployed on the ground or with no MPs to correctly handle it.It is a way to remove someone permanently from the round and for that reason a lot of consideration should be put into deciding whether to use it or not.

Some examples of valid BE would be witnessing an intentional murder while deployed on the ground, a marine trying to disarm the CO or steal the command tablet while being warned to stop, outright refusing to follow orders or planning a mutiny. Insubordination or countermanding COs orders by senior command staff may be considered a valid reason for BE as well if it threatens the outcome of the operation.

Second example I add from my personal experience. I was XO during a round where the CO died. Our RO found his body and stole the mateba armor and gun from him, he then came by CIC and started spinning around showing off his new gear while using very LRP terms like based gear, gamer XO and so on. Seeing his behaviour I ordered him to turn the mateba over to me since I didn't trust him not to abuse it. He refused and started insulting me. When I called MPs he tried to run off but I flashed him and took the gear and the gun. (At this point as CO I would be well within my right to BE since it can outright refusing my order to give my gear back would count as a threat to my command. But seeing he was incapacitated i would turn him in to the brig and dealt with it from there.) From this point on he kept running from MPs and refusing to return to his station even though he was ordered multiple times to return and do his job. I had to pull the synth from the ground to man requisition while the RO was hiding from MPs and arguing that he won't return to work unless I gave the gear back to him. He then came to CIC again and tried to steal the armor and gun from the armory again. At this point if I was a CO I would BE right away since he is borderline griefing right now as a player and because not returning to his post and refusing all orders to do so is desertion under marine law. He was later found hiding in ARES room and executed for desertion by a firing squad. But it serves as a good example for BE that happened not so long ago.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner? What are some examples of crimes you would pardon, and those you would not?
    Providing it's not a capital crime (in which case I would need HC approval) I believe the pardon should be used in very few special cases. In case of minor crimes like DASO or failure to follow procedure I would consider the importance of the person detained to the operation as well as the general behaviour of the person in custody in order to decide if a pardon should be made or not. These crimes are a lot of the time just overly excited MPs jailing for every tiny breach of SOP or a slight hint of DASO. That being said, I would still take care to examine the evidence and listen to both sides. Even if minor, they are still crimes and there are consequences to players actions.

As for major crimes there is very little that could make me pardon someone for it. Apart for extreme cases like for example the only available engineer arrested for DC or assault because he had an argument in the req line which resulted in a fight and there is no other engineering personnel on the ground or on the ship. While in normal circumstances he would serve his sentence in this case he would be vital to the operation and thus I would pardon him.

I would also pardon a marine being jailed for assault while he is obviously new and just punched somebody by accident. (Firstly without ill intent the charge is wrong and secondly jailing new players for minor mistakes is just not good for anyone)

I would not pardon anyone just because they are SADAR spec, SL or SG. So I would not pardon a SADAR being jailed for assault and DASO simply because he is an important squad role. I would not pardon an RO being jailed for intoxication simply because they are an officer. If they were alone manning req I would find a temporary replacement. (SO, Synth, XO, or me)

What is your routine after starting the round as either a Staff Officer or Executive Officer? Assume you joined round-start and are inside your quarters.
    Going to talk about XO since I play that role the most. First thing I do when spawning on roundstart is saying hello on command comms. For one it's polite but mainly it lets people know I am there. Then I go get my combat boots since I grab a knife for them later and I like to have access to it during emergencies. I then get my lighter and light a cigar.

Now that this is done I head to COs office. If we have a CO I follow his orders from there. But I will assume there is no CO and I am leading the mission. I grab a tablet from the office and head to CIC, greet any SOs there might be and assign squads to them. Then I open up the console and set primary LZ as well as authorizing more req budget. Once this is done I spend a minute or two making an announcement for briefing time. I like to do more than just "Briefing at 12:17 be there" so I usually greet the marines and crew, talk a little about what type of planet or mission we are on and so on.

Then it's time to deal with any potential issues like not having requisition staff and so on. After that comes time for making a plan. Depending on the kind of SOs I have (if they are communicative and active) as well as the time I have left till briefing I talk with the SOs about the plan or I make it myself. Either way at the end I write it down on a paper and make a copy for each SO.

Then I go give a briefing. I like to do longer briefings adding a bit more RP to it again. I mention the situation. I sometimes add a joke or so on. Then I give out the starting orders and set a drop time. Once briefing is done I have some room to take a boot knife from req, flash from brig and mediHUD for me and the SOs. If engineering didn't inform me about loading OB yet I will go check on it and reload the cannon. I announce the orders again from the tablet during this time.

Once I am done I get back to the CIC which is usually just when the marines landed. From there I continue to lead the op to the best of my ability until it's over or until I am replaced by a CO.

How would you handle insubordinate departments? State what you would do for each department if they were insubordinate.
    I am going to assume insubordinate is meant here as refusing to do their job. This would differ a bit depending on the amount of people in said department but mostly it would go like this.

Engineering - Not really a vital department by any means today. Depending on how insubordinate they were and why I would either talk it out with them or simply have them arrested. Depending on who was the figurehead of this it might be better to arrest just the person most actively encouraging it and the rest might fall in line.

If one day we get some sort of engine or other essential duties for engineering to perform, I will send either the SO, XO or synth to take over, depending on the skill level required for those duties.

Medical - This one is hard since there is nobody on the ship to replace them to the same standard. If it were just doctors and CMO I could probably have them arrested and replace them with a researcher but I wouldn't be too happy about that. Another alternative would be assigning SO for triage and a synth to take care of surgeries. As for research, access can be given to SO or MPs to take xeno corpses in for DEFCON. Blood analysis can be done by synth.

Fortunately medical rarely has any problems with doing their job and if medbay is not working its mostly new doctors not knowing how to rather than insubordination. Prefered way is to talk it out and find a solution without resorting to arrests.

MPs - OOC issue. MPs cannot be insubordinate as that is against rules. I would fist check in with the MPs as to why they are refusing to follow my orders or why they think my orders are unlawful. Depending on the answer the issue would either be solved IC or I would ahelp it and go by admin instructions from there. While waiting for the answer to my ahelp I would get in contact with the CMP (assuming he wasn’t insubordinate as well) and tell him to arrest the MPs on charges of insubordination.

Depending on the outcome of this situation, should we be left without any MPs or CMP i would consider deputizing my SOs or XO to take over their duties.

Requisitions - This one is from my experience the most likely case. Solution here is really simple since req can comfortably be run by a single person after the initial rush. I would probably still try to talk it out but if needed. Arrest, replace.

Command - Last but not least the command department. This is where the insubordination would have the most dire consequences. While I always keep an open mind I don't respond kindly to orders being questioned in front of the crew or outright countermanded. I would start with a serious talk in the CIC or my office with the insubordinate personnel but continued bad behaviour from the command staff such as refusing to follow orders or countering my own orders would result in removing said person from the command structure or even execution on sedition charges. Having a senior member of command such as XO being insubordinate this way would even constitute a BE in my opinion.

All of these would also depend on the amount of insubordinate people and I would also listen to reasons why the department is being insubordinate and if their demands are reasonable I would consider those solutions.

How would you handle an understaffed CIC? What if you and the XO are the only available CIC crew?
    I can run CIC on my own perfectly fine. While it's not ideal it can be done and i've done it many times over. Having XO there with me is an added bonus. Nowadays with the new command consoles i would have the XO overwatch the squads and fire OBs while i overwatch and announce from my console.

What would you do if you were deployed and a marine told you they were going to desert the operation?
    First of all i would talk with the marine and find out the reason why he wants to desert. Then i would give him a chance to reconsider and get back to the field. If he was unwilling to talk at all or unwilling to reconsider i would probably BE as desertion is a capital crime.

ConfirmationsDo you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes
    Last edited by Wulferion; 10-26-2020 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Bad link.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm willing to toss in my support here. Sent me his application for review and I didn't see any problems with the draft. Had him do a satisfactory job as my XO. Also not a shitter.

+1

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a round with you, you did really good. I can't say I've seen you around too much but I don't really play as much now and others are vouching for you

+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will go with the 2 other Captains, they have played XO for a good amount of time, I remember the person playing it before I even took my break. The application is also decent, I don't think there is much to be said.

+1
    Captain Elzbieta Brygida

Whitelisted Captain BatHoovyDood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, first time seeing a CO app with a name I even vaguely recognize on it in a very long time. Answers are solid, and you have already ran your app before posting, good effort there. I know you said you aren't a huge SL fan, but I cannot recommend putting in some fresh hours as SL. If your marines know you and you know them, you're a far more effective commander.

+1 From Me
    - Squad Leader Cassandra 'Boston' Ellis (and overconfident CO)

(Probably already dead)

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is Balto''Crunk''Dreg, I was Captain which you served as XO for a round, and another I did get to witness you as SL. You have proven yourself to be heavily competent and have character. You have good intentions of spicing things up a bit with your briefings sometimes it may seem like the same but I know you can make it work. As CO, there may be times you have to rely on incompetent members like XO or SO depending on shit that happens on the ship like zero MPs, you are basically gotta make the call and do hope marine law wise you do have that in hand in case of shit security. I will bless you as CO with a +1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your support. It means a lot to me to see my favourite COs giving me a vote of confidence.

I will try to put in more time as SL, however i don't have that much time to play nowadays, mostly because of school and i would much rather spend it playing XO. Nevertheless if i loose the roll, i'll try to jump in as SL as i have done today.

For the briefings, i like to prepare them beforehand (even before the round starts) but sadly there is only so many different things i can come up with to stay realistic, so at times i have to recycle. But it is my intention to squeze as much RP into it as i can. Maybe if we get some lore for the maps i can take inspiration from there. Whatever it is, i'll try to come up with something engaging you can be sure of that.

Regarding incompetent members, its something i am fine with as long as the person in question is willing to learn. Being a mentor i am used to the full range of skill levels in players and i am always happy to help newer players learn the game. And i understand that in case of these being MPs it can lead to difficult situations. I've spend many rounds advising such MPs in the brig as SEA and i've had a chance to deal with them as XO a few times as well.

So thank you all for your positive votes and i look forward to meeting you on the Almayer again.

Developer & CO Senator (Major General) naut's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem to have quite the backing behind you. That's always a good sign.

Here's a question for you, though:

Describe a round where you, as an XO, lost the operation. How do you think you and your forces lost? Was command to blame for any part of it?
    Major General / Colonel Samantha 'Sammy' Maverick
    Colonel Chris 'Topher' Lawson
    Synthetic Tara

CO Senator (as of 3-19-21)
    ̶D̶e̶v̶e̶l̶o̶p̶e̶r̶ Maintainer (as of of 3-23-21)

I'm just someone trying her hardest to not get everyone horribly killed.

im an artist too! see my works at my art dump below
    //showthrea...aut-s-Art-Dump

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by naut View Post
    Describe a round where you, as an XO, lost the operation. How do you think you and your forces lost? Was command to blame for any part of it?
    Certainly. I got two examples that come to mind right now so i will give you both.

The first one happened a few days ago if i remember right. It was on Big Red and we were pushing into the filtration caves. We were making good progress inside and engineers even managed to build a very strong fortification inside the cave as a fallback point. Its here where our initial push was stopped and we got stuck in this fallback point. Being in caves we could not use OB or CAS to break the stalemate but having SADAR still up as well as decent number of marines there i decided to let them hold this position. There were a few pushes by the queen from east and south and we managed to defend against them. Soon after i kept hearing a marine call "queen from east" on comms and i got very suprised when i learned soon after that they are inside the fortifications. It turned out that the xenos flanked us and the queen came from west, right from the filtration entrance. I ordered the marines to pull back and navigated them south following a safe route out. Nevertheless we lost way too many marines and ended up evacuating soon after when the push to FOB came. (We were on LZ2).

I see two major mistakes i made as XO here. First of all i didn't realize in that time that we had an open flank with all the marines being in the cave. This was a huge tactical oversight on my part. The second mistake is that i should have checked the camera of the marine calling the queens location. Sure it was him who messed up the sides but i should have confirmed that information before forwarding it to the rest of the marines. And while there were certainly mistakes on the marine side as well (like a third of the marines refusing to fall back in time and getting cut off completely) it was ultimately my two mistakes that led to us loosing the operation.

The second one was on CORSAT. It was a long operation going back and forth in Theta with lot of losses (on both sides). It was near the end when we were holding FOB on LZ2 but managed to defend it. We were close to DEFCON1 but the IOs informed me that we were not likely to get it. So i decided to order a push with all marines we got left leaving the FOB almost empty. It actually had a great effect and we managed to push all the way to the hive as we killed the queen during the fight in Theta. Bioscan showed about 7 xenos remaining and we were pressing on the hive. But the xenos managed to get a new queen. They managed to stop our push and split our remaining force in half. It was here when i made my fatal mistake. Not realizing initialy that we don't have the manpower to stand agains the new queen (especialy since the marines that round were not performing too well) and maybe a bit blinded by a vision of quick victory, i ordered the marines to keep fighting and pushing into the hive. When i realized my mistake i tried to order a fallback but at this point the marines were no longer listening. They held their ground for a few minutes ignoring my announcements to fall back and were eventualy captured or killed. What makes this mistake even more aparent is the fact that we had an intel crate on the way and needed just a few minutes to get the nuke. When we evacuated we had 97% toward DEFCON1.

This second example serves to show mistakes being made on both sides. Refusing to retreat when ordered was perhaps a mistake on marine part but the main problem was in me. Firstly that i didn't realize the severity of the situation and seeing a victory so close ordered what was basicaly a suicide charge. And secondly not being able to get the marines to follow my order to fall back later.

I don't know if those are good or bad examples but i chose these because they stuck in my memory since i made some serious mistakes. It is my personal opinion that the outcome of an operation is a result of many good or bad decisions by many players and that there is almost never a single person to take the blame for a loss or credit for victory. We are all human beings and nobody does anything right all the time even XOs and COs. The important part is to accept this and at least try and learn from these mistakes, listen to constructive feedback and hopefuly improve.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though you be. On utc +1 meaning id never see you as a co your answers and your overall activeness in your time zone with countless hours as xo. Admirable Def +1