User Tag List

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 93

Thread: roleplaying in modern cm

  1. #81
    Head Manager ThesoldierLLJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,374
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post
    The current staff may not be blamed for the state of CMs current standards however it's delusional to believe that the head staff, devs and anyone else on the team are going to be the people to bring back higher standards. They have demonstrated time and time again, primarily by contradictions and stated ideas that they have absolutely no idea on how to encourage or bring back roleplay to higher standards. They've essentially accepted this and have FINALLY gone Low-RP standards without stating it's Low-RPer. This is fine and great as CM can finally move on from this Ruse that their Medium-RP and can focus on the gameplay elements while abandoning any motion of RP moving forward.
    Pretty much, trying to convince this community to roleplay with BAN heavy standards led people to just being mute and shooting xenos and hating staff. It caused us nothing but headaches and nearly put some staff members in the insane asylum
    The majority of the community just want to kill things and do silly shenanigans, they don't care about RPing military bearing, chain of command, etc...

    High developers literally said "RP dead"

    Medbay are just over glorified chemists now, research is pretty much useless except for stims, OTs just make things that go boom. If it wasn't for shenangians, MPs at the moment would have nothing to do.

    So you know what, Roleplay is Roleplay, don't grief and don't be overly stupid as far as I'm concerned. We're gonna test things with some standards based on rank/roles next week, and probably hammer something out to finally end the age old debate. What will probably happen at the end is the standards for Pvts/PFCs will be low, but Officers will have a higher expectation. Whitelists will also have high expectations, and I can't wait for the first CO to say Big Chungus in a command announcement expecting nothing will happen.

    If people truly want RP mechanics and other things, the game is open source. Find someone willing to code, and sprite, and I have no doubt the maintainers will add it.
    Last edited by ThesoldierLLJK; 06-05-2021 at 03:29 AM.
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids

  2. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    High developers literally said "RP dead"

    Medbay are just over glorified chemists now, research is pretty much useless except for stims, OTs just make things that go boom. If it wasn't for shenangians, MPs at the moment would have nothing to do.
    And isn't it the job of the development team to rectify this? How can the devs of all people say this when they are the ones that killed all these roles? I know you say that you can't force the devs to work on something they don't want to, but then i have to ask myself what is the difference between a staff developer and a contributor then?

    This is touching on something i said previously as well. The development team on CM does not function as a team. They are this collection of contributors that just can balance and can approve each others MRs. Yet things like techwebs would benefit a huge deal by having an actual team work on it instead of just one person. I know its volunteer work but there really should be some direction and management. At least in terms of "what features are we going to focus on next". You have half the marine side basically without a job now since everything is offloaded to the deploying marine. Things like MTs haven't been adressed in ages.

    I think being on the dev team should mean you'll work on what's needed. Why can't there be something like a developer meeting each month where Nanu would sit with the devs and go "ok what needs fixing right now?", have a bit of brainstorming on how to do that and then assigning those tasks to the devs. Like an actual developer team would. You said it yourself, the game is OS so if all you want to do is work on your personal projects you can do it as a contributor. Dev team should a be a bit more than just that in my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    So you know what, Roleplay is Roleplay, don't grief and don't be overly stupid as far as I'm concerned. We're gonna test things with some standards based on rank/roles next week, and probably hammer something out to finally end the age old debate. What will probably happen at the end is the standards for Pvts/PFCs will be low, but Officers will have a higher expectation. Whitelists will also have high expectations, and I can't wait for the first CO to say Big Chungus in a command announcement expecting nothing will happen.
    Don't grief and don't be overly stupid is like the definition of LRP. It's literally the minimum requirement to have any sort of roleplay along with not OOC in IC. But somehow i hoped CM aimed to maintain a much higher standard than that.

    As for the standards based on rank idea, it sounds interesting and i'd be interested in trying it out i don't think it's gonna make a difference. Mostly because its usually not the officers (maybe apart from some SOs) that disrupt the RP but rather the Pvts/PFCs or MTs, doctors, CTs and so on. Maybe instead of basing it on ranks you could base it on the place. If you want a compromise between LRP and MRP then why not make it so that while on the ship higher standards apply and when on the ground you can do whatever. It's not perfect sure, but it would be a first step at least. If someone doesn't want to RP as a marine, nobody is forcing them. Just go sit on the DS and wait for the drop.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    If people truly want RP mechanics and other things, the game is open source. Find someone willing to code, and sprite, and I have no doubt the maintainers will add it.
    The issue with this is that adding "RP mechanics" will not solve the issue. Don't get me wrong, having some mechanics purely for RP purposes is always nice, but right now what we need is changes in the main ones. First of all we need MTs and research to have a job again, and a job that affects the round in a noticable way. We need to shift the marine gameplay loop back on track. Have dying and being revived have actual permanent consequences. (Honestly just having a permanent consequence to dying and being revived would go miles in stoping a lot of LRP bullshit) Have a negative effects for surgeries when done in non-sterile enviroments, making medbay relevant again.

    And most important of all, shift the focus from "You can do everything as PFC" to "All roles rely on one another to accomplish a goal". The best way to create natural RP is having the game be an actual team game. Have the players rely on other players for certain things. Maybe that permanent damage from defibs could be fixed by medbay but only if proper research was done. And maybe that research requires materials only the MTs can make. Stuff like this goes a long way in creating a natural need for RP and teamwork.

    But in the end all this is not something a contributor can do. It requires balance changes, changes to the health system and so on. Most importantly it requires dev team support and keeping the development focus on RP AND gameplay rather than RP OR gameplay.

  3. #83
    Senior Member special2kira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    506
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can't force player interaction into mechanics that are just horrible.
    the difference between having people wait in the requisition line and streamlining features we don't need is that you benefit from having more times to do something else. and in this case, the time is used to fight the Xeno, we don't need to streamline everything because the sole purpose of the game is already defined as killing the opposing side and taking less time to prepare mean you'd have more time to fight. I myself have been a developer in two servers before and they both suffered from having things we don't need clogging up the development instead of things we need right now. CM has possibly the highest numbers of development staff I have ever seen compared to any other server I been in and especially so when compared to the server I was a developer on. we suffered from a similar dilemma where people joined to kill the opposing side and to get the best possible gear, but there are also people who came here to seek different experiences. I do not know anyone who deliberately came here to roleplay, that however, doesn't mean there's no roleplay either. Roleplay exists because people feel like interacting. low-roleplay is exactly just that. a minimal amount of roleplay required to still have some sense of in-game cohesion as opposed to it being treated as a game entirely. When people come here and play it treating it like it's a game, It's also sometimes good we take a step back and remember we're supposed to have fun. lastly development can also be a pain in the ass, this is coming from me who suffered trying to balance fallout 13 when everything is balanced by making it so everyone can get a gun that kill you in 3 hit and chemist can heal you in less than a second and put you back on your feet. It kinda break my immersion and there's nothing I can do about it. Not because I can't just delete those features. but because it's something the players do not have issues with and it's also kind of our fault in a way for not having more testing before the release. as much as I enjoyed spending my time crafting a balance theory. I do not enjoy spending an excessive amount of time trying to fix a car while it's running and being built on. CM is already a pretty old thing with many balancing and stuff, and so far I now that I come back here after my 3 months of playing on and off of CM. I never really got time to stop and appreciate everyone's effort to make it better, even if CM doesn't seem very good now. It's probably the best we can get if we yell at people to make changes when they themself don't know how to handle it.
    anyway I wrote this at 3 pm after consuming 30 gram of melatonin and now I can't stay awake
    when in doubt. "When you code it" - a wise man probably
    hij komt, hij komt. de lieve a goede synth

  4. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by special2kira View Post
    you can't force player interaction into mechanics that are just horrible.
    This is just a poor excuse to ignore mechanics and features in a game that you or another person may believe is "horrible".

    Players who roleplay will find certain mechanics an absolute must to foster their gameplay/enjoyment.
    While players who enjoy action, shooting and combat will require mechanics and features that promote this desire and other playstyle players dislike them.
    When you're creating a Hybrid game this is always an issue, as such a strategic balance must be met where both sides aren't over-encumbered or required to suffer for long periods of time.

    An easy example of this that affects the balance between action/roleplay can be looked at removing requisition lines. The basis of this was to slow-down gearing up, encourage player interaction and allow for a suitable command planning stage. This an example of roleplay elements being fostered naturally by a simple line/ordering system on the ship. By removing this line and adding attachments to the locker rooms you streamlined an element of the game that the common player would say is just "a long waiting line that is boring". However it's far more than that under the hood, you removed a waiting period that naturally fostered player to socialize in the line and you increased deployment speed. All of this impacts roleplay and nothing was done to instead balance this out because once again... development team is incompetent and has no farsight for roleplay.



    This ideology is often lost to the average player who views their experience as the only one that matters. As such they'll often look at things like Requisitions Lines or Mandatory Briefings being a waste of time and stupid. However these rules and gameplay mechanics often force a player into a scenario or situation that fosters elements of the game they wouldn't usually get without them even realizing ie; Roleplay/Socialization/Character building.

    You're essentially reinforcing backgrounds mechanics and values into the player without them realizing it.
    By hollowing out, streamlining and simplifying the game you end up with nothing other than an arcade shooting with no meat to build upon or encourage other playstyles.



    Quote Originally Posted by Wulferion View Post
    And isn't it the job of the development team to rectify this? How can the devs of all people say this when they are the ones that killed all these roles? I know you say that you can't force the devs to work on something they don't want to, but then i have to ask myself what is the difference between a staff developer and a contributor then?
    Because leadership within CM in the last few years has been de-centralized, in-cohesive and completely incompetent.
    You compare this to the past where everyone in Management played the game, was active, involved in development and knew the game/lore.

    Look no further than the obvious leadership issues in the last few years.

    - A Host who doesn't play the game at all.
    - Grimcad sitting in the #2 position for years inactive and doing nothing but doesn't resign?
    - Multiple Head Devs taking the position with no solid plan for future development.
    - Staff Managers stone-walled by other Head positions to make major changes (ie; Decentralized Management)
    - Dev Architects who were completely and openly opposed to elements of the game (ie; 4Khan openly stating he disliked Roleplay while being in charge of the direction of the game)
    - Bloated staff system that has feel good ranks in it ie; Seniors, Dev Architect and Inactive Ranks
    - Going open-source despite having the largest development team and most productive development team for years beforehand.
    - A Dev Team who answers to no one because #1 and #2 don't play and aren't active to keep them in-check.
    - Lastly, no Co-Host to maintain any checks or balances on the Host/#3

    I don't really need to say anything more beyond the fact that the two people at the top literally don't play the game or have any involvement beyond socializing. No company, business or development in the history of the world has ever been successful when their #1 and #2 aren't even aware of whats going on. (I believe Grimcad recently was demoted, but holds a feel good rank of a "Head" on discord, still 2 years too late).

    As one of the creators of Modern CM (The move from vanilla ss13 alien to current CM) I consider CM's current state to be primarily attributed to the incompetence of a few individuals. People like Jamie should've been more involved, Grimcad should've stepped down when they became inactive and Neth should've focused efforts on Roleplay mechanics / not focused on SS14 bullshit. Almost every problem with CM's development in the last few years can be traced back to a few individuals essentially collapsing the foundation of the game they where supposed to maintain and theres no other excuse than just straight up mass incompetence. This can be traced back throughout the development over the last few years, almost every major project or "re-work" was half finished and released with the developer who worked on it leaving shortly after.

    Let me make this clear, CM doesn't go from being the top server, with the strongest development team and high standards of an Action/Roleplay server to an Arcade/Shooter in the span of 3 years intentionally. CM is an Arcade/Shooter now because the development team and Head Staff where too incompetent to maintain the higher development and higher standards than the previous Management teams did. The truth is that CM was streamlined unintentionally because frankly it's easier to code and develop straight-forward content than it is to be mindful of roleplay and background mechanics.



    So I absolutely believe that the current Management team is doing the right thing by accepting the state of CM that they've inherited. They have a game that is nowhere close to what it was 4 years ago when it was Medium-RP and they're well aware of it. It's only right and more productive for them to then move to a system/ruleset that incorporates the current state of the game into something everyone will enjoy.

    There was a time when I genuinely believed the game could pull itself together and return to higher standards. However this belief is so far gone that I don't even consider the current version of CM anything to what I originally created or envisioned along with the other creators. Solider is right, the game is open-source and at this point it would be far more productive to start a new server than it would be to expect this current Management or team to change CM backwards.
    Last edited by Fewher; 06-07-2021 at 01:15 AM.

  5. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulferion View Post
    And most important of all, shift the focus from "You can do everything as PFC" to "All roles rely on one another to accomplish a goal". The best way to create natural RP is having the game be an actual team game. Have the players rely on other players for certain things. Maybe that permanent damage from defibs could be fixed by medbay but only if proper research was done. And maybe that research requires materials only the MTs can make. Stuff like this goes a long way in creating a natural need for RP and teamwork.
    I 100% agree with this. So much of what made CM a good experience (and particularly a good roleplaying experience) was having to depend on specialized roles to accomplish important tasks. Relying on those specialized roles necessitated a bare minimum of communication, which inherently opens the door to RP/conversation of greater depth.

    Many of the updates have decentralized the responsibilities of those specialized roles. You see this in a lot of ways, but the most blatant example is how PFCs have access to such a variety of buffs/mini-specializations. What the server needs is for somebody to curate the codebase; rollback certain changes, scrutinize MRs/feature bloat, curtail the power creep and basically just have a vision in mind for the game. Just the fact that most rounds are effectively decided in under an hour should be a cry for attention. You can't expect much depth in roleplay if players don't get to play a given role for very long.

    You don't need specific roleplaying mechanics to make a good roleplaying experience. A lot of roleplay is just the product of needing to rely upon each other, and thereby an absence of power creep. The more you allow features that increase a player's independence, the more and more you'll see players prioritizing the team death-match experience.
    Last edited by Grubstank; 06-06-2021 at 07:46 PM.
    Andres Addison | DA-V3

  6. #86
    Senior Member Pigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post
    This is just a poor excuse to ignore mechanics and features in a game that you or another person may believe is "horrible".

    Players who roleplay will find certain mechanics an absolute must to foster their gameplay/enjoyment.
    While players who enjoy action, shooting and combat will require mechanics and features that promote this desire and other playstyle players dislike them.
    When you're creating a Hybrid game this is always an issue, as such a strategic balance must be met where both sides aren't over-encumbered or required to suffer for long periods of time.

    An easy example of this that affects the balance between action/roleplay can be looked at removing requisition lines. The basis of this was to slow-down gearing up, encourage player interaction and allow for a suitable command planning stage. This an example of roleplay elements being fostered naturally by a simple line/ordering system on the ship. By removing this line and adding attachments to the locker rooms you streamlined an element of the game that the common player would say is just "a long waiting line that is boring". However it's far more than that under the hood, you removed a waiting period that naturally fostered player to socialize in the line and you increased deployment speed. All of this impacts roleplay and nothing was done to instead balance this out because once again... development team is incompetent and has no farsight for roleplay.



    This ideology is often lost to the average player who views their experience as the only one that matters. As such they'll often look at things like Requisitions Lines or Mandatory Briefings being a waste of time and stupid. However these rules and gameplay mechanics often force a player into a scenario or situation that fosters elements of the game they wouldn't usually get without them even realizing ie; Roleplay/Socialization/Character building.

    You're essentially reinforcing backgrounds mechanics and values into the player without them realizing it.
    By hollowing out, streamlining and simplifying the game you end up with nothing other than an arcade shooting with no meat to build upon or encourage other playstyles.





    Because leadership within CM in the last few years has been de-centralized, in-cohesive and completely incompetent.
    You compare this to the past where everyone in Management played the game, was active, involved in development and knew the game/lore.

    Look no further than the obvious leadership issues in the last few years.

    - A Host who doesn't play the game at all.
    - Grimcad sitting in the #2 position for years inactive and doing nothing but doesn't resign?
    - Multiple Head Devs taking the position with no solid plan for future development.
    - Staff Managers stone-walled by other Head positions to make major changes (ie; Decentralized Management)
    - Dev Architects who were completely and openly opposed to elements of the game (ie; 4Khan openly stating he disliked Roleplay while being in charge of the direction of the game)
    - Bloated staff system that has feel good ranks in it ie; Seniors, Dev Architect and Inactive Ranks
    - Going open-source despite having the largest development team and most productive development team for years beforehand.
    - A Dev Team who answers to no one because #1 and #2 don't play and aren't active to keep them in-check.
    - Lastly, no Co-Host to maintain any checks or balances on the Host/#3

    I don't really need to say anything more beyond the fact that the two people at the top literally don't play the game or have any involvement beyond socializing. No company, business or development in the history of the world has ever been successful when their #1 and #2 aren't even aware of whats going on. (I believe Grimcad recently was demoted, but holds a feel good rank of a "Head" on discord, still 2 years too late).

    As one of the creators of Modern CM (The move from vanilla ss13 alien to current CM) I consider CM's current state to be primarily attributed to the incompetence of a few individuals. People like Jamie should've been more involved, Grimcad should've stepped down when they became inactive and Neth should've focused efforts on Roleplay mechanics / not focused on SS14 bullshit. Almost every problem with CM's development in the last few years can be traced back to a few individuals essentially collapsing the foundation of the game they where supposed to maintain and theres no other excuse than just straight up mass incompetence.

    Let me make this clear, CM doesn't go from being the top server, with the strongest development team and high standards of an Action/Roleplay server to an Arcade/Shooter in the span of 3 years intentionally. CM is an Arcade/Shooter now because the development team and Head Staff where too incompetent to maintain the higher development and higher standards than the previous Management teams did. The truth is that CM was streamlined unintentionally because frankly it's easier to code and develop straight-forward content than it is to be mindful of roleplay and background mechanics.



    So I absolutely believe that the current Management team is doing the right thing by accepting the state of CM that they've inherited. They have a game that is nowhere close to what it was 4 years ago when it was Medium-RP and they're well aware of it. It's only right and more productive for them to then move to a system/ruleset that incorporates the current state of the game into something everyone will enjoy.

    There was a time when I genuinely believed the game could pull itself together and return to higher standards. However this belief is so far gone that I don't even consider the current version of CM anything to what I originally created or envisioned along with the other creators. Solider is right, the game is open-source and at this point it would be far more productive to start a new server than it would be to expect this current Management or team to change CM backwards.
    TBH Jamie is more or less a Host Host, as in the main server administer and other backend stuff, IT and finical stuff. The 'true' host is the Nu-vice host we got now which is soldier.

    Otherwise stuff like req lines died when the population constantly hitted 200 and req line just wrapped from req to cyro and just was pain to get anything, if you could get anything. Literally pajamarines or even naked marines went to get attachments before they all got sucked up. I mean a mapper can just go in and delete the squad req stuff now if they want and leave attachments and AP to main req but meh.

    Medbay died because medical APC+ground surgery. Basically everyone understands the worst part of medbay isnt medbay but the Alamo trip which took 10 minutes to get back and forth basically. Used to be surgery groundside is asking to take 200 toxin from necro but with it dead it became more and more realized you can just do surgery groundside. I think the medical APC was the final nail because it made it more common practice to deploy to it and marines would just flock to it so doctors now just all deploy so they dont die of boredom. The final final nail? The tech tree rework means no one fultons bodies or alien bodies and now they literally got nothing to do and thus deploy or die of boredom truly, and because everyone is deployed people don't medivac because you do not know if anyone is at medbay anymore. I don't think anyone thought the medical APC would cause the final push for groundside surgery or that removing necro to improve various systems would xyz problems later, but the tech tree part should've really been thought about more if anything.

    Engineering been sent to the grave because in 2019~ there was a bug with the powernet no one could fix so they just nuked the whole thing and now there is no cable managment, it runs off wireless power and the generators don't breakdown anymore. The engineering rework to give MTs something to do? Never arrived/was actually the OT update.

    And the tech trees... the problem is how it acts. It just so, unnatural it seems. Currently it not even finished and for some reason was kept on, but the end product will have checkpoints to hold. Like how do you bullshit in the RP for that? I can see for marines but how do aliens do it? It needs window dressing badly to make it more natural and fitting to the settings but well don't hold your breath.

  7. #87
    Senior Member shogun-liquid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys its easily solved.

    BRING BACK CM-SS13 2017

    *zooms away*
    Hans Von Leygood
    How my rounds typically end:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

  8. #88
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    TBH Jamie is more or less a Host Host, as in the main server administer and other backend stuff, IT and finical stuff. The 'true' host is the Nu-vice host we got now which is soldier.
    The trouble with that is that the host is the one with final say over anything. It's fine to leave the management to the heads but when its the heads that are the problem then the host needs to step in. The host is the person that should be maintaining a certain direction and vision for the server and make sure the staff team actually works. Yes we have soldier now but he was not in that position for long. Its the years of staff in basically non-functioning mode that fucked CM so bad. With no clear direction and most of the staff busy fighting with each other rather than maintaining standards. If what soldier does now shows anything its how badly someone who actually takes charge and action is needed. I may disagree with his RP changes but he at least does something to try and improve the game. Thats more than i saw any of the heads do in a long time (and certainly a lot more than the actual host who rarely even gets involved with players). I understand Jamie is not interested in CM beyond the backend stuff and thats ok but then he should at the very least either leave the host role to someone else or appoint a vice-host with de-facto the same power over staff as the host have. There needs to be a active leadership that actually plays and understands the game if its to move anywhere.

    While we don't see eye to eye with Soldier on what roleplay is and what the standard for it should be on CM i think he's probably the best thing that happened for CM right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    Basically everyone understands the worst part of medbay isnt medbay but the Alamo trip which took 10 minutes to get back and forth basically. Used to be surgery groundside is asking to take 200 toxin from necro but with it dead it became more and more realized you can just do surgery groundside. I think the medical APC was the final nail because it made it more common practice to deploy to it and marines would just flock to it so doctors now just all deploy so they dont die of boredom.
    This is exactly the problem. Removing necro and allowing medbay staff to deploy are the kinds of things that just shift the focus of the game in the wrong direction. It's removing the things that make ss13 stand out, this sort of semi-realism you don't find in other games like having to think about being in a sterile enviroment before doing a surgery. Why do you think they didn't do the same in the previous CM era? Why did old CM kept all these supposedly useless mechanics? Perhaps its because running around clicking on sprites was never supposed to be the sole focus of the gameplay. Getting your hand cut off and limping back to the dropship, going to medbay and getting yourself fixed there is all part of the gameplay for a marine. It gives you time to RP and interact with people on the ship. It's part of your story for that round, maybe your marine that really just joined the corps to pay off his student loan got an entirely new understanding of the horrors of space/war. Maybe your macho rambo-like character that prides himself on his recklessness and bravery suddenly got a new appretiation for life when he got so close to death. Maybe something goofier and more silly. The point is it's up to you and what you make of that situation.

    I think the premise (at least of the original CM) was not "Go get 20 kills and win the round" it was simply "You are a marine in aliens-like universe. Go make stories." It's about being part of the emergent narrative of that round and creating interesting and memorable moments. By dumbing down the mechanics and streamlining everything you get rid of oportunities like this and shift the focus to brainless sprite clicking.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    Engineering been sent to the grave because in 2019~ there was a bug with the powernet no one could fix so they just nuked the whole thing and now there is no cable managment, it runs off wireless power and the generators don't breakdown anymore. The engineering rework to give MTs something to do? Never arrived/was actually the OT update.
    Well first of all its the fault of the management and the development team that MTs are still not given a job for 2 years. We have the "dev architect" role who are supposed to be the game designers in a sense and yet nobody is adressing the fact that there is a dead role which has literally no job. To be quite honest i don't even understand why MT is not disabled as a role right now. They have no purpose at all other than loading OB and occasionaly fixing stuff, which is something the CE and OTs could easily handle. Were it up to me i'd disable the job and start thinking about how to integrate them back to the main game loop. There have been many ideas thrown around the forums and discord of what kind of job the MTs could potentially do so its not like there is a lack of inspiration.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    And the tech trees... the problem is how it acts. It just so, unnatural it seems. Currently it not even finished and for some reason was kept on, but the end product will have checkpoints to hold. Like how do you bullshit in the RP for that? I can see for marines but how do aliens do it? It needs window dressing badly to make it more natural and fitting to the settings but well don't hold your breath.
    The tech trees are an unfinished mess that shouldn't have been released before finishing it in the first place. Yes i know the dev working on it left during development but that is also kind of my point. A huge update on the scale it was hailed to be should not have been left to a single developer. As Fewher said CM has probably the largest dev team out of any ss13 server yet there is no aparent differnce between a dev team member and a OS contributor. They simply do not work as a team. Big updates like techwebs could have been something else entirely if they were managed and worked on as a team of developers. Few people working on the techs themselves, others on reworking research to fit into the new frame others on the capture points and so on.

    As for the RP aspects of the techwebs its the same thing as with all the other changes these days. They are poorly though out with no consideration of RP at all. For example i would love it if the techs involved more people than just the marines. Techs could easily involve research and engineering essentially helping to solve the problems that we currently have. But rather than adding mechanics and player interaction to research they chose to bypass it instead which is telling.

    In my opinion it would be a lot more interesting for the techs to allow research or OTs to make new stuff that would then be sent to the marines (you could even adapt the drop pod system for this purpose) then it is to just magically have it spawned from nowhere. Instead of having stimms bypass the research we could have had it unlock a really good base chem for research to make custom stimms out of and a way to mass produce it. Instead of having magical ammo conversion boxes we could have had it unlock a new machine for the OTs allowing them to produce custom ammo boxes based on their designs.

    The entire tier one techs could have been used as a way to customize loadouts depending on the playstyle command wants to go for that mission. Instead of having crutches like plates we could have had a choice between experimental armor types or weapons becoming available. That would give command players a nice choice of the overall style they want to focus on for that mission while still leaving a individual choice of loadout to the marines. Having the choice between say ultra light armors that provide less protection but more speed and weapons for more close quaters combat or durable armor that makes you slower but takes more beating and deployable HMGs. Or perhaps long range weapons with slower fire rate and mines and traps.

    There is a lot of wasted potential in techwebs that i seriously doubt will ever be realized.

  9. #89
    Senior Member special2kira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    506
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as a person who was a developer on other server, one of the major issues we suffered back there was that basically we had no leadership and I had to take charge of what gets done. and when we didn't even have a properly established goal, to begin with by the host. it was hard for me to decide on what to do so I started calling the shot to focus on making sure everything is working and balancing the game. the result was the players did not notice any changes. which could be either good or bad depending on how you look at it when we removed an entire faction from the game and it made no impact on the round, it got me thinking we had things we didn't need and could really useless off of. at the time I was there our staffs were really limited in capacity both for moderation/management/lore/wiki and development. What we had was me some spriting staff, mapper or coder. my main goal there was to push updates and keep in touch with the community and let people know I'm actively listening in on complaints.

    for me, my issue here is that we have so many development staff and moderation staff. more than I could ever wish for in the server I was in. yet our issues were that we still didn't have clear leadership or goal. fixing things and improving on existing things is nice but people also expect something to keep it fresh and also there'll be people who want certain features removed, my job there above all else was quality assurance making sure broken things gets fixed and making sure things gets done. we have enough people to do all of this and enough time and resources to do what is needed to make CM good. we just need someone who's capable of management proper. I trust our current administration but I believe it could be a lot better. we have many things that were left over that we could use and many great people in the team. what went wrong?
    hij komt, hij komt. de lieve a goede synth

  10. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    152
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad req lines are gone, the "Quality Roleplay" (TM) I witnessed there was just disarm/grab/loud emote spam.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •