User Tag List

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: roleplaying in modern cm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine thinking that 60+ white men and women on a marine station, screaming NIGGA at each other is somehow normal, realistic or acceptable roleplay by any standards outside of a Klu Klux Klan rally.

Yet we've witnessed people seething in rage while in defense of being allowed to do so here. This isn't 4chan or call of duty, we have standards here. They are incredibly low standards, but they supposedly exist.

The issue there is that people with excessively low levels of maturity can't help but want to meme. Just playing the game quietly and maybe calling stuff out isn't enough for some people, because that would be MRP. It is so ingrained in people that some consider memes to be shit you could say offline to people and expect a normal response to, and how dare you for taking away their nigga guacamole vagina penis.
    STOP TRYING TO A HAND WHOLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always find one or two people willing to roleplay in a round, and I'm never actively looking for them. It's still around, people interested will join you (or silently enjoy the story while unga-ing). It's the little things that have the most impact, the small phrases and emotes here and there when the shooting dies down for a minute that create the atmosphere.

There are three things I would like to change to improve muh arpee experience:
    - "Memes" : I find some acceptable, such as the word "unga", but most of them just ruin it for me. I wish our marines and xenos would speak closer to the way they do in the movies (aliens/predator/starship troopers..) and less like 21rst century people on the internet. I would outright autoban words like based, nigga, gamer until people stop using them so frequently.
    - Powergaming / metagaming : discussion of game mechanics in IC chats, people being angry at non-optimal decisions, and generally incoherent behavior to gain an advantage.
    - Some updates / mechanics / code : that don't promote RP and highlight the deathmatch aspect of the game. The DEFCON mechanic is very hard to justify and make a story around. Defibs are too strong for death to be meaningful would be another example

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    starship trooper is not an ideal example of what people should speak like, I will be honest.
    DEFCON mechanic can be justified actually with how it works. The more we know about the enemies the better prepared we should be to fight them. but the way it works itself is a bit unfitting for the roleplay.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DEFCON as it works currently can be perfectly explained.
    Falling Falcons is a losers dump battalion, where all the retards and undesirables are sent. From the lowest of the low PVT and PFC, who are barerly fit to duty, ready to mutiny over the slightest slip, with no trigger discipline, severly untrained and unfit for combat.
    The only thing that differs them from pencil pusher CL is that they handle guns a bit better, the same endurance means that middle class dude, or gal (more often than not a chainsmoker and probably Ultrazine addict) who spends time on wiriting faxes and shit like that is on the same level of body performance as they are.
    The same applies to everyone up to command.
    Both CO, XO and SO are either very unliked, or straight up hated, USCM just waits for them to die off, but can't bother to stage some assasinations, so they are "promoted" to command 30 years old space coffin after refit, dumped with experimental tech for retards to test out, with said retards as a crew and obligatory annoying fly of a CL. They fly in outer rims, on the border with UPP and in the zone of both CLF and Xeno activity.
    Finnaly, how the current DEFCON ties to that? High Command couldn't just give entire arsenal to those retards, because there exist a high risk that at best they would misuse it and at worst they would go rogue and try to use it against USCM. Thus everything is hooked up to ARES. ARES is a robust, but primitive AI, with where "I" that stands for "intelligence" shouldn't be written in capital when speaking about ARES. Even standard MOTHER onboard space trucks that were towing ore and other shit more than 68 years ago is at worst on the same level as ARES and at best far more advanced.
    This however means that ARES is foolproof and pretty much unhackable, so a perfect failsafe. Even CO of Almayer doesn't have the option of authorising the nuke, its completly byond his reach, he has to give proofs to ARES that the threat is real.
    And thus you feed ARES with intel, xeno, colonist and marine corpses for his primitive program to process and then finally greenlit any additional troops from Cryo, additional req budget, or the nuke itself. Countermeasures for rogue battalion who might want to for example start a war with UPP, or just nuke some USCM space station, because CLF said so.
    You can't even remotely SD the fricking ship, you have to do it manually, quite "convinient", or "unconvinient", depends where you sit, if you sit on the chair of USCM high command, you are quite happy that despite losing something, that fucker CO and his bunch of mongoloids died in a bright explosion.
    Hell, what happens when hijack happens, but 20 minutes pass? ARES drops the fucking ship onto the planet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last time I did anything I can respect as roleplaying is a time I was nested and tried to teach a drone how to say "fuck" so it can understand I was telling it to go fuck itself. Though if you want a more respectful example, I also remember an event as a cargo tech who quit his job(I was so tired that it took me minutes to vend materials and it was my first and only time as a CT). The event essentially circulated around a trade ship which sold various exotic items and creatures. During the event, I managed to steal a great sum of cash from the ship and a few other products. A random MP was then blamed as the thief as a result, allowing me to keep the money and spend it on a pill bottle of ultrazine. Things then escalated once the trade ship's crab started to mutate and grow in both size and aggression. It could also teleport. After this encounter though, my character had a deep inner conflict within himself and believed his sins had resulted in the demon crab. So to repent, he stole nearly everything the trade ship had and shared it among the ship. He then confronted the owner of the trade ship and told him "the truth" which involved telling him that he was the one who stole his money and products. Despite the protests from the owner, my character continued to emphasize that he made up to him by giving away everything he stole to others selflessly just as Jesus would have done to preserve the Christmas spirit. Furthermore, a lecture on the importance of family over material goods and greed was given. At this point, the shopkeeper was forced into a bewildered silence and forced me to leave his shop for good. And so the trade ship ,with its inventory ransacked, departed, ending the event. I then OD'd on ultrazine trying to find ways to enter back into the closed ship, leaving me dead for the rest of the round.

After writing these short stories and recollecting my thoughts on the matter of the topic, I think I realized something. It's that I personally only ever RP when I am technically not contributing to the round. It is just difficult to actually put my mind into a character if I need to at the same time play a game such as this. Especially if I play a critical support role such as medic, since for one, there is often so many things to act on at once that the last thing I want to do is waste time typing out a witty comment. There is also the larger amount of responsibility and expectations such a role has when compared to basic marines. So what I think I am trying to say simply is that I cannot roleplay if there is a whole active video game to play which isn't a bad thing for me. Though if you want my opinion, which is something people seem to be sharing in this thread, I would prefer if there were more opportunities for RP at least, but that is not to say I want more "serious" RP.

Yea sorry for the long reply, I got carried away. I don't expect much of a response this was really just written for fun and practice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MollytheGuy View Post
    After writing these short stories and recollecting my thoughts on the matter of the topic, I think I realized something. It's that I personally only ever RP when I am technically not contributing to the round. It is just difficult to actually put my mind into a character if I need to at the same time play a game such as this. Especially if I play a critical support role such as medic, since for one, there is often so many things to act on at once that the last thing I want to do is waste time typing out a witty comment. There is also the larger amount of responsibility and expectations such a role has when compared to basic marines. So what I think I am trying to say simply is that I cannot roleplay if there is a whole active video game to play which isn't a bad thing for me. Though if you want my opinion, which is something people seem to be sharing in this thread, I would prefer if there were more opportunities for RP at least, but that is not to say I want more "serious" RP.
    This ^

And one of the reasons why CM is so stressful today is that almost every single role you have you gotta do your job or you are crippling the operation. I cant pick a role and relax. Last time having 1 CMO and 4 Doctors was easy, yea sometimes we get 8 wounded a Dropship trip and it hampers us but it was fine, compared to now. I do think the double Autodoc helps, but to actually relax as a Doc now is nearly impossible. You gotta wait and prep for the next wave of injured. It's like I am actually working in a hospital.

For me, I actually like some roles where I do minor tasks, like fix power? Ok done, time to tour the ship. That's it. Oh OB shot? Ok sure. Load...back to touring!

One of the reasons why XOs should exist is that he can help the CO command when needed, and the CO can Roleplay a lot easier when needed(If the CO player ever wants it)

Whitelisted Synthetic CallunaBorealis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningMetal View Post
    its pretty sad to see people shitting on RP when RP is what make this game fun....

Even thow im not great at RP i still recognize its importance and try to RP the most possible in any given situations.

If you officialy gave up on RP good for you; you are now officialy part of the problem.

kkthxbye
    Absolutely right.
    Shore leave approved for all my characters, enjoying the beaches of New Hawaii until further notice.

Plays as Heather Tanigawa (Intel and everything else), Erica Picotte (Medical) and Angela Ochoa (Engineering) in the USCM.

Aissa the Synthetic, a former waitress for a Cuban-themed restaurant franchise.

CB-** the Beno.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like to portray a semi serious marine, especially when playing IO/PO/Engineer/SL. The seriousity is there to allow other marines to understand my commands or actions easier. When utilizing CAS/IO/Mortar or even as a medic, using certain terms allows it for easier comprehension from the other parties. Other than that, I try to bring as much roleplay as possible, lest there is a ravager hunting for my hands and feet.

EDIT:

I'm also very bad at metas. I dont know what makes good and when except when I'm a medic or I bring out the flammenwerfer. Other than that, don't rely on me to take down that lurker. I take whatever gun has enough bullets to let me scare the xeno away and after that, roleplay brown trousers!
    Last edited by Lolziam; 11-21-2020 at 08:37 AM.
    Frank 'Ocelot' Stumpling

XENO: FR- -K

The man everyone can rely on, but can't rely on himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Driker View Post
    Imagine thinking that 60+ white men and women on a marine station, screaming NIGGA at each other is somehow normal, realistic or acceptable roleplay by any standards outside of a Klu Klux Klan rally.
    ever been to fort polk lousiana?
    Last edited by mac and cheese; 04-08-2021 at 04:57 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

it's really a shame that people frown upon hearing the word roleplay, because of all the absurdly annoying ''hrp*'' wannabe marines that would realistically never even get a job in the corps in the first place, plaguing this community & portion of people that just want to kill xenos made it seem like a thing of the past.

*those people never even grasped upon the idea of medium roleplay nor were playing during the times when we actually had it

This total disconnection is what killed RP, together with the last staff stint, shift from PFCs being able to do whatever the fuck to not being able to do anything, numerous rule adjustments over the years and all the qol & major game updates that indisputably made the game a better and smoother experience in terms of combat & gameplay but took a big toll on its now pretty much exterminated gritty, unforgiving and extremely powercrept experience which was an important part of the old CM identity.
    Don't get me wrong though, it was no utopian destination by any means and half of you would probably quit after a day of constantly getting delimbed, having to evac with no medevac or getting gibbed, husked or sent to oxyloss hell - but who's been there can probably relate.

Also, people tend to associate it only with shipside roles but ironically, all the stone cold classic roleplay that everyone digs for so desperately was always planetside between the marines. No shipside job ever offered that many opportunities to roleplay as the PFC role and that's a dead serious statement.

The only thing separating us from the desired MRP level is the fact that CM community is the opposite of the word united.