User Tag List

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: roleplaying in modern cm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my near 2 years of playing on CM it's been incredibly hit or miss when it comes to roleplay. I don't expect it nor do I put the bar on others to reach my expectations. When I first got onto CM back in early 2019, I knew what I was getting into. I came from servers like Aurora and Baystation, my bar for RP was probably a bit higher than the usual 'new CM player' as it were I suppose.

To get back onto the point of roleplaying in CM. It's hard to really gauge what's even considered RP anymore. Stuff like "That's LRP" or "We need to be HRP" has been beaten and overused to the point it makes you roll your eyes. Whatever is roleplay is an entirely subjective thing. To be as literal as possible with the definition of 'roleplaying': "The acting out of the part of a particular person or character, for example as a technique in training or psychotherapy." To me, when it comes to roleplay, if you are playing a character that could reasonably exist in the designated universe you are playing in. You're roleplaying. Colonial Marines is a pretty grim universe what-all with Weyland Yutani Weston Yamanda being a mega-corporation that have the men, resources, and technology to go toe-to-toe with a legitimate government battalion as we can see when there is the occasional deathsquad round sent to deal with idiot marines. There's aliens that would turn your intestines into a nice party hat after putting a giant worm in your chest that will explode out of you. There's a violent anti-USMC group literally willing to suicide bomb themselves to kill you.

It was mentioned earlier, I think, but the Colonial Marines of the Falling Falcons are a pretty odd bunch. The 'Nobodies'. It's reasonable to expect that not every single marine is going to be the smartest, thought-provoking, or capable. What is NOT reasonable is people who don't try and running around saying "among us drip" or "haha gamers" and other stuff that is obviously OOC, and I feel that is what the crying shame of the lack of roleplay is. Of course, I totally understand why most people don't. It hurts to come to terms with it, but CM-SS13 is a TDM server through and through. You don't get mad at people on Squad for not roleplaying with you.

It is difficult to find good roleplay, I know as well as anyone else as I have tried my best and do my best to be the one people know can roleplay. It sucks but sometimes you just have to be the only one to do it when nobody else does. I'm rambling, I am aware, but that is how I feel on roleplay, at least here.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lanche View Post
    Also, people tend to associate it only with shipside roles but ironically, all the stone cold classic roleplay that everyone digs for so desperately was always planetside between the marines. No shipside job ever offered that many opportunities to roleplay as the PFC role and that's a dead serious statement.
    This but Squad Medic for me, basically.
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So from what I gathered if we want to get RP in today, we have to not polarize the people and also not over-do our attempt to RP as it is still ultimately a game, what to be done is to do what you as the person in that situation would yourself realistically do. however, even that is something that we can't just do suddenly, it's something we have to trust the people to do on their own. if you force the people to roleplay they're not gonna like it because they came to CM expecting to shoot alien. and some people expect to fulfill a certain role. while some others expected to play what would be an essentially reskin of bay station 12 with more guns and less roleplay.

in all fairness, cm is still pretty damn impressive for a server that you can actually run with only 4 GB of ram and still have a decent 12 fps(Not saying you should run it on a 4gb ram pc but I'm just saying you could)

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw if it is 32 SS13/byond can only run 2gb then

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old CM RP was driven by IC and OOC metagroups. These groups started dying as a result of a few things happening at the same time (ssethtide, constant meta changes after neth's armor rework etc) and took RP with it. Not much else to say.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Old CM RP was driven by IC and OOC metagroups. These groups started dying as a result of a few things happening at the same time (ssethtide...
    I hate that people keep blaming him for anything. I personally came after Mandalore gaming did a video. Surprise, there are dozens more and bigger youtubers, twitch streamers and other people who reviewed and recommended SS13, not just him.

Other than that, saying that "All these new people are sh*t. We are the best. Old group good. New group sux"...is false at best and cringy at worst.

What makes you think you or anybody else is better than a guy who joined 1 month ago? Just because you are playing longer? So what. He might have better RP than you, he might be nicer and fit better to a server than you, with time he might understand deeper game mechanics than you.

It's so weird to see that this is even a topic. If not new people SS13 would have as many players as other beyond server maybe 50..spread out on 20 servers. Go and enjoy playing with 3 people on a server.

People are seriously cringe that say that.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Fix it again Tony View Post
    I hate that people keep blaming him for anything. I personally came after Mandalore gaming did a video. Surprise, there are dozens more and bigger youtubers, twitch streamers and other people who reviewed and recommended SS13, not just him.

Other than that, saying that "All these new people are sh*t. We are the best. Old group good. New group sux"...is false at best and cringy at worst.

What makes you think you or anybody else is better than a guy who joined 1 month ago? Just because you are playing longer? So what. He might have better RP than you, he might be nicer and fit better to a server than you, with time he might understand deeper game mechanics than you.

It's so weird to see that this is even a topic. If not new people SS13 would have as many players as other beyond server maybe 50..spread out on 20 servers. Go and enjoy playing with 3 people on a server.

People are seriously cringe that say that.
    Yeah well they're still the reason why the small dedicated community faded away and why people like you popped up - if that's a good thing, I don't know, take that as a rhetorical question.

New people aren't 'shit' - in fact, I'd much rather talk to someone completely new to the game than your average CM21 player for very obvious reasons

Either way, both the RP level and the skill floor is the lowest in ages which is an indisputable fact.

And yeah, no, CM was hitting 200 pop on big events even in 2017. The pop argument is just an assumption you made??
    Last edited by lanche; 04-09-2021 at 04:44 PM. Reason: spelling & some minor edits

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently had an RP renaissance by aggressively shouting pirate insults at xenos and troops, it's not a lot but it is something. I don't believe RP back in the day was driven by metagroups and such but rather strong personalities at the center, which lead to everybody else engaging themselves in at least a slight amount of RP. I hate to pick favourites but most memorable were Lauffer and Carson as CO, every marine would talk about the outrageous length of lauffers speeches or carsons insane orders that would get everyone killed. These are just two examples. Now that the amount of strong characteristic personalities has decreased, there is not a lot to RP about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix it again Tony View Post
    snip
    Okay then let me rephrase

Large amounts of new people were brought into CM at the same time, which destabilized server culture, as expected. While normally these people would've eventually adjusted by observing interactions carried out by old players, the groups that made the server what it is were in strong decline for a few reasons and eventually died out. The combination of those factors lead to old server culture being lost. And I came here after watching mandalore too.

Happy?

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshguac View Post
    I've recently had an RP renaissance by aggressively shouting pirate insults at xenos and troops
    I am pleased