Retrokinesis - Predator Application

Predator Whitelist Application
    Byond ID:
    Retrokinesis

Marine Name
    Audrey Aulin (marine)/Evelyn (synth)

Name of the Yautja Character you wish to play
    Kelsar Te'dak

Have you banned in the past month or are currently banned from other servers?
    No

Are you familiar with the Predator Code Of Honor?
    Yes, including the updates made when applications reopened

Yautja Character Story
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Describe how your Yautja acts, and how you intend to play them
    I see Kelsar as a kind of predator skald, a warrior-storyteller who wants a hunt worthy of song and story and not just an opportunity for trophies and honor. He knows all the tales of the Yautja hunters of legend by heart and strives to emulate them so his name can be forever remembered as well. To this end he's always interested in the story of the current round and its characters, observing and recording worthy actions even from humans and xenos so they might find some small measure of honor as sidestories to his grand saga.

Kelsar is knowledgeable but fairly lacking in practical experience and not all that amazing a hunter yet but he has a gift for observation and a keen insight into the behavior of others, Yautja and otherwise. He places a high value on cleverness and approves of novel solutions and raw tenacity over brute force as well as appreciating it when his prey surprises him. This tends to make humans his favored prey although he is more likely to underestimate and thus be surprised by a particularly cunning Serpent.

Kelsar's primary goal in each round is observing various scenes until he has uncovered the narrative: whether that be a marine victory due to the heroic actions of a few soldiers, a lone xeno that saves their hive from certain doom, a tug-of-war with no clear victor until a single moment decides it all, or a chaotic mess. He's not above creating a narrative if one doesn't emerge naturally, suggesting challenges to those he suspects could be worthy and deliberately staging cinematic battles between his foes. He'll follow the participants to observe the climax of his work and, in the case of humans, provide them with any trophies they have earned from it. Of course, he can always cast himself as the villain if need be. What audience doesn't love a good tragedy?

Personality-wise, he projects confidence and bravado to hide his inexperience and his default demeanor is one of dry amusement, someone who has seen it all before and knows how the story is going to end but appreciates the artistry of a unoriginal narrative executed well. Kelsar has a burning need to earn his place in legend and loves an audience, causing him to take risks he probably shouldn't because they are dramatic or impressive.

In your own words, describe the difference between an honor duel and a hunt
    An honor duel is much more than simply the predator fighting worthy prey one-on-one in melee. It's a reward bestowed upon a particularly worthy foe by the predator, a climactic encounter that should be remembered by all regardless of how it ends. Most instances where the predator engages a lone opponent with melee weapons will be hunts, not actual honor duels.

Only Yautja can initiate an honor duel and they are obligated to provide their opponent with a hand-to-hand weapon of some kind. Absolutely no ranged weapons may be employed, unlike against worthy prey where thrown weapons are still honorable. Anyone who interferes with an honor duel is unworthy prey even if they are defending their allies, and the foe also becomes unworthy if they call for or accept this assistance, heal themselves, or flee. Likewise, a non-Yautja demanding an honor duel without being challenged is unworthy.

An honor duel also has specific conduct expected during it. Your opponent should be allowed to reclaim their weapon if disarmed or stand back up if knocked over rather than simply knocked out and immediately killed. They are fought to the death, though the victor may choose to show mercy in recognition of their opponent's skill or honor. Predators also sometimes handicap themselves in honor duels in ways they wouldn't normally during a hunt, such as by dueling an armed human while unarmed or without armor.

Anyone who emerges victorious from an honor duel against a predator and then chooses to spare them must be acknowledged as an equal and this status conveyed to other Yautja.

How do you intend on interacting with other predators during a round?
    Kelsar is very gregarious for a Yautja and tries to get along with any of his fellow hunters, acting as a moderating force in personal or clan disputes if needed. He encourages them to boast about their past trophies or how successful the current hunt will be, as well as swapping stories at the conclusion of a hunt.

He never misses an opportunity to share his mostly theoretical knowledge about humans and Serpents or the wisdom of famous Yautja of legend, nor to learn from Elders and other more experienced hunters. His own lack of practical hunting experience is a bit of a sore point for him, though he is a quick study and takes defeat or failure in stride as a learning opportunity and chance to experiment.

He is also a fairly devout worshiper of Thardha and loves a good revelry, especially as a venue for tales and boasts. This makes him a bit of a hedonist and, ultimately, he wants to grow his personal legend in order to become a larger-than-life figure in Yautja lore. He has an appreciation for fine craftsmanship and prefers trophies that are visually striking and unique.

From a meta perspective, I feel he provides a solid opportunity for RP with predators of all kinds. Elders will find an eager student, brash hunters a more patient and analytical companion, storied heroes someone to chronicle their tales, and rising stars someone who can appreciate their ambition and skill. His focus on narratives also provides a good round-to-round through line for building IC relationships. Providing he survives, of course.

Why do you want a predator whitelist?
    I didn't, when I first started playing. I originally assumed predators were a purely combat-focused antagonist role and, as someone who really enjoys RP and support roles, that's the opposite of what I was looking for. I saw people running off and abandoning their missions to chase and kill the predator the second someone said "Jamaicans" and wanted nothing to do with it.

But then I actually started interacting with predators and realized they have a ton of potential. I've had some very memorable encounters with them, even as a xeno. Especially as a synth, I realized how RP-focused they could be when they felt like it.

Predators have an interesting place in the round because they're wildcards; neither friendly nor hostile to either side at first, and the actions of one predator don't necessarily tell how you how any of the others are going to be.

I feel like my RP is very good and I've been putting more effort into improving my combat roles as of late, and I believe Kelsar's playstyle and personality would allow me to create enjoyable and memorable encounters without interfering with the "main storyline" of marines v. xenos too badly.

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or disobey the Predator Code of Honor?
    Yes

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reliable player & interesting story.
    Not much more to say at this point, this is a solid application and I have no issues with this app being accepted.

Looking forward to RP with you
    +1

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Audrey Aulin (marine)/Evelyn (synth) " I'm glad those two weren't xenos in disguise.

The story was well written and showed off your gimmick. Not much to say here, it was good. I liked it.

The rest of the app is filled out nicely, again, no comments. Good shit.

In the current balance of the game, you're going to be getting the most out of pred by RPing with other preds. That also seems to be your focus, so that's great. "more effort into improving my combat roles as of late" Doubt, but still, we have other preds who are horrible at combat. Look at Thar'ns.

Easy +1.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A decent application, a decent story, all that. Good player, as well. Bit biased as I did encourage them to make this app, but what can you do?

They took the advice of focusing on the character and not the hunt, and they skipped the combat completely - which I don't mind, and in fact, encourage if you aren't a great writer.

To piggyback off Vampmare, you'll mostly be RPing with other predators - which involves anyone who aren't teers, as they don't play, and when they do, you'll have to recover their gear. To note, when SoldierLLJK joins, the most prominent teer, you'll have to press the Track Gear button every couple seconds. As well, most marines are here to hunt you - not the other way around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're a good player and the application was good.

I'm gonna drop my +1 here, could've been better if you were a Thar'n.
    Resident ex-punished Junior Developer and Coder, and ex three-time member of the Yautja Council, two-time member of the Synth Council.

See with your eyes, my army of flies, when no one's alive...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Application looks very good overall with a lot of detail given in every section as well as other people backing-up that you're not a shit player.

+1.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Retard View Post
    To piggyback off Vampmare, you'll mostly be RPing with other predators - which involves anyone who aren't teers, as they don't play, and when they do, you'll have to recover their gear. To note, when SoldierLLJK joins, the most prominent teer, you'll have to press the Track Gear button every couple seconds. As well, most marines are here to hunt you - not the other way around.
    Be wary of Bob, a Thar'n who, similar to Soldier, you'll have to press the Track Gear button every couple of seconds when on the hunt with him. The only real difference between the two is that while Soldier goes out of his way to die whenever he must leave, Bob does so unintentionally, rather he falls prey to humans and Xenos alike as they outwit him without fail more often then not. Smelly Thar'ns.

Jokes aside, the app imo was a good one. It showed off your Predator well, how they interacted with others and the world around them, as well as provided us pretty darn good insight on how you intend to play the character.

I could get nitpicky with this and point out things that could use work or what have you, however I feel that's irrelevant. The app shows thought and provided more then enough about your Predator. You also have proven an awesome member of our COMMUNITY for quite some time now, and I trust you enough for me to feel comfortable with dropping upon thee my official +1.

Use it wisely, as there're no refunds round these parts.

Your 'Friendly' Neighborhood Captain, Frans Feiffer. Austrian Kommodore vith zie vorst accent, survivor of Space Vietnam, and Loving Caretaker of the Ungas Aboard the USS Almayer.
    Pred App that is now null lol
    Synthetic model Darwin

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Retard
    SoldierLLJK joins, the most prominent teer, you'll have to press the Track Gear button every couple seconds. As well, most marines are here to hunt you - not the other way around.
    Piss off

Oh also
    +1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good story, nice pacing, I actually enjoy stories that are not combat focused, gives me a little look at how you perceive the Yautja in general rather than slashy slashy death man.

+1
    Wolfgang Schneider - CO, CL
    Roscoe Barrett - CMP, MP, Spec
    Joshua - Synthetic
    Zathar-Veraz - Yautja
    Xenomorph - L-0-RD
    Ex Badmin Manager

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The application is well put together and you�re a well known player. +1