User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: razor - Commanding Officer Application

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Basedoperator View Post
    I've thought this one over for quite a while and I believe I'm ready to hit you with what I think.

    It's strange to me how you say you want to promote RP as a CO, but quite frankly your story doesn't fill a full page. It feels like you put more effort into the questions than the apps and your BE answers just don't sit right with me. I also haven't really seen you play command since this application was posted, or much at all recently, but perhaps that is just timezones.

    I'll give you some questions and we'll go from there.
    Wow..damn you did get banned over night? I am going to answer the questions for the others still.

    Quote Originally Posted by Basedoperator View Post
    1. How do you plan on involving RP in the CO role when you play the game? Give examples of situations, scenarios, or little things you would do.
    My first improvement would be to add better Briefings to the game. I don't like the standard Briefing where it's just Hello->Squad Orders->Dismissed. In my opinion I like the Briefings Greg is doing but marines are hasty so holding them up for too long would cause problems too. That's why I would add minor further stuff about the situation, like about the Mission Site we are heading to and what marines should take care of the rest I put up into papers and distribute them to Squad Leaders where it gives them additional stuff to go with. In my papers I write about Rules of Engagement, the hierarchy and which division we are in, what factions there are and if they are hostile or friendly and which OB warhead is loaded.

    Another thing that drags my attention is the breakfasts, basketball games, memorial and card playing games that people were doing in the past but I rarely get to see anymore. I liked them and would encourage them to try and do some of these. Lastly it should not be forget to mention that the CL is mostly getting ignored by the CIC staff and the crew. They should get more attention and the rounds I played XO, whenever I had time, I gave them my time and filled out their documents with them or talked about regulations regarding the Operation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Basedoperator View Post
    2. A Staff Officer fires an OB on the wrong coords, causing significant FF. What is your course of action?
    2a. A Pilot Officer decides to evacuate before you give the order, leaving marines groundside. They say the dropship was about to be over-run. What is your course of action?
    2. Demoting him would be the minimum of proper actions taken against him. Such situations should not even happen to a SO and leaves doubts about his ability to OW correctly. If he did it on accident, this cannot be considered as murder though according to Marine Law. However if he did it with ill intent, I would brig him in for murder.

    2a. If I have witnesses or witness myself how the Dropship is getting overrun and he evacuates it was totally in his right to take off considering the immediate threat to his life and to the marines on the Dropship. Whenever I am XO and a full evacuation is going on, I order the PO to either take off if he sees how the Dropship is getting overrun or I give the order personally. But if he took off without hostiles even being close to the Dropship and left back marines that could have been saved that should be considered as Desertion and I would inform the MP's of the incident to wait at Almayer to arrest him. Except in the situation the FOB is not completely overrun yet I would send him back down quick to rescue the ones left back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Basedoperator View Post
    3. An MT decides to steal Jones and throw them under the landing Alamo, gibbing them. There are no MPs. You have a full CIC. Do you order an arrest? On what charges?
    IC Wise: In terms of Marine Law Jones has the same rights as a human being and this would be a case of murder and kidnapping. I would deputize Staff to go and arrest him.
    OOC Wise: As far as I know, stacking up bodies on the landing pad and gibbing bodies is not allowed and I would ahelp about this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Basedoperator View Post
    4. The Delta specialist, who is carrying the SADAR, is arrested for assault with a deadly weapon. A delta engineer decides to C4 the brig to break them out and you happen to stumble upon this taking place while the C4 is being planted. What do you do?
    I would stop him from planting the C4 by flashing/disarming/pushing and call for the MP's while holding him down. After we securely restrained him, this would be counted as assist in escape and punished as a capital crime.

    Quote Originally Posted by Basedoperator View Post
    5. The groundside battle is turning for the worse. Marines are retreating to the FOB. Req is empty. The tank is missing a driver. IOs are dead and DEFCON is inches away from 3. You have 4 SOs. What do you do?
    The first and most important task here would be to fill up Requisitions with a Staff Officer giving him permissions on his ID. The Staff Officer then would be ordered to go and order IO's kits, jtac kits and materials for the FOB. The next step would be to fill in the position of the driver with the Staff Officer. I didn't get a chance to spectate a Staff Officer to drive the tank but regarding the wiki page they have the skillset Vehicle Operating = "Trained" which should be enough to drive I suppose. If the Staff Officer cannot drive the tank I would go check for a synth and send him down to fill in the driver seat. The CIC can easily be manned by two SO's and by me with or without the XO. Then I would make a announcement to boost morale and tell them to gather corpses and use AUX Support as much as they can and work for Defcon 3 to get Cyro troops and OB ammunition or Requisitions points to make a tide here.

  2. #22
    Admin & CO Council Member Somenerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to ask you to clarify on one point given that based is now community banned.

    2. Demoting him would be the minimum of proper actions taken against him. Such situations should not even happen to a SO and leaves doubts about his ability to OW correctly. If he did it on accident, this cannot be considered as murder though according to Marine Law. However if he did it with ill intent, I would brig him in for murder.
    What charge would the SO be guilty of if it were accidental?


    As for my own feedback, I'll hold off till after you answer these questions of mine too!

    2: After operation goes forth and back a marine argues and tell me that he advises another tactic to break the stalemate. I consist on my tactic and then he tells me that I am not capable of understanding the situation and not a good leader. This situation would not warrant a Battlefield Exection since its just a criticism. If he has good reasons I should listen to his ideas instead of Executing him for his criticism.
    Let's say this marine then continues to go around the ship, telling other people that you are incapable, incompetent, and that other people shouldn't listen to you. What would you do?
    Let's also say that marine then begins giving contradicting orders to you, trying to get people to go against what you're planning. What would you do?


    Scenario. This'll be broken down into several parts.

    You are in Command of the operation, as the CO. You overhear a doctor and a CMO get into an argument over the best way to treat patients. The content of the argument is irrelevant to the scenario. The conversation continues to escalate and the doctor insults the CMO and is arrested after the CMO requests an MP to perform one for minor DASO.

    The doctor accepts that their crime has occurred, and asks you for a pardon. The medbay is only staffed by the CMO and this doctor, and the CMO and the doctor clearly don't like each other. Do you pardon this doctor? Are there other alternatives you can take as opposed to a pardon?

    Second scenario.

    You pardoned a maintenance technician for Major Damage to Government Property so you can keep the ship and OB's running. This MT then gets arrested ten minutes later for calling the CMP a shithead.

    The MT asks for a pardon. Do you pardon?

    Oh, and final question.


    What does leadership mean to you?
    Last edited by Somenerd; 11-25-2020 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Added a final question
    Anna "High-Toss" Stall

    Whitelisted Commodore and CO Councillor, Admin, and Nerd!

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    113
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a marine calling for a mutiny on the ground and it seems he is gaining support. Would you inform MPs to equip anti RIOT gear to counter them once they came up, or would you go down there with MP escorts to BE him ? Try to explain why too
    Captain Morgan Young

    Charlie Squad Medic main and the worst nade Thrower you Will ever see.

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Somenerd View Post
    I'm going to ask you to clarify on one point given that based is now community banned.



    What charge would the SO be guilty of if it were accidental?
    This would be considered as manslaughter since he did not have a malicious intent of killing someone but accidently did.

    Quote Originally Posted by Somenerd View Post
    As for my own feedback, I'll hold off till after you answer these questions of mine too!

    Let's say this marine then continues to go around the ship, telling other people that you are incapable, incompetent, and that other people shouldn't listen to you. What would you do?
    Let's also say that marine then begins giving contradicting orders to you, trying to get people to go against what you're planning. What would you do?
    In the first situation you stated I would count that as DASO and would inform the MPs to arrest him. I would give him a warning first and if he does not change his behaviour, this punishment seems justified to apply.
    In the second situation hes activly engaging in actions to overthrow my command and therefore I would inform the MPs to arrest him for sedition. After they got arrested I would overthink my actions and if I seem to have acted in a wrong way I would adapt and change my strategy. (Mostly) marines complain/rebel for a given reason, no one would just start rebeling without a justified reason. But engaging in actions to overthrow command structure is not allowed and has to be punished. The Marines only work with a good command structure and can only suceed in their operation if there is a competent CIC giving the right orders. Yesterday I had a round where command was not present at all and was mute for the most time of the operation. We lost very quick and this situation shows how important the guidance of them is. Anyone trying to break that structure down is therefore a threat to the operation itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Somenerd View Post
    Scenario. This'll be broken down into several parts.

    You are in Command of the operation, as the CO. You overhear a doctor and a CMO get into an argument over the best way to treat patients. The content of the argument is irrelevant to the scenario. The conversation continues to escalate and the doctor insults the CMO and is arrested after the CMO requests an MP to perform one for minor DASO.

    The doctor accepts that their crime has occurred, and asks you for a pardon. The medbay is only staffed by the CMO and this doctor, and the CMO and the doctor clearly don't like each other. Do you pardon this doctor? Are there other alternatives you can take as opposed to a pardon?
    I would pardon this doctor since this is just a minor DASO and I would try to make them have peace between each other. The doc would be necassary here to keep the marine flow up. Granted the CMO could probably hold the medbay himself but dispensing on the doc here just because of DASO is not what is in my mind. If I recognize that any further trouble is happening between them I would go with the alternative you already talked about and fill in the position of the doc with a suitable replacement.

    The alternative here would be to fill in a synth to do manual surgery but with not being able to use the AutoDoc though. Another possibility would be to fill it in with a doc survivor of the colony after checking them for sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Somenerd View Post
    Second scenario.

    You pardoned a maintenance technician for Major Damage to Government Property so you can keep the ship and OB's running. This MT then gets arrested ten minutes later for calling the CMP a shithead.

    The MT asks for a pardon. Do you pardon?
    That MT should not be pardoned considering he already got pardoned once and resumed to do trouble. I would load the OB myself if necessary or send the XO to load it while I keep CIC up. Another alternative would be to send in the synth to load it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Somenerd View Post
    Oh, and final question.


    What does leadership mean to you?
    Leadership for me is only about giving orders but inspiring and motivating the others to fulfill their duty. Whenever I am playing XO I make motivating announcements boosting morale and giving the marines a hope. In most times this worked and even made a tide when marines went rushing. Another point that comes to my mind is that leadership involves the knowledge of your troops. Knowing who has which abilities and use them in the right moment can bring a victory to appear. As its even stated in the Commanding Officers wiki you will have to use the SOs as a extended arm of yourself. This does not only apply to the CIC staff but to each individual marine. When gaining experience trough playing for a long time now I got to know many players and this is what I also think is another reason why the Whitelist is bound to having a high playtime. As a leader you have to be resilient to anything coming up to you. As many caps already stated in other Whitelist applications: You will get to a point where everyone is against you or wants to remove you from your command. Getting trough this hard times show that you are a true leader capable of filling in that position. Another important point is that you have to take a risk others cannot take upon them. You can only conquer when you risk loosing something. In bad times that can be a substantial number of marine lifes. But the important point here is to learn how to improve after that. That risk does not only go for the marines that are serving under you but also for yourself. Sometimes you are even required to risk your own life. If it serves the purpose of achieving a victory it has to happen. That does not mean that you should rush infront of marines into the hostiles and willingly risk your life. As a important part of the mission you should stay alive as much as you can. But as example in situations where we are holding the Almayer to a last stand where the xenos are coming up, I already saw some captains turning the situation by charging and leading the marines trough the hallways leaving the hostiles no space to retreat. Another point that I already stated is always seeking to improve yourself and requires a huge acceptance of self-critism. If you cannot accept that you are bad in something you wont be able to change. Last but not least a minor point to add is being creative. I know this point may sound confusing. But being creative is important too. The hostile is always trying to foresee your actions. What you plan next and how you would perform that. A creative mind can change that predictable steps and confuse the hostile to the point where they cannot keep up their lines. This is the reason why flanks can work very good given the point that everyone abides to the plan. They are not expected. This is why this is another ability that comes to my mind a great leader should bring forth. All that abilities are subsumed under one person and that person is then called leader.

    Hard to believe what a leader must be able to afford..

    Anyways thanks for resuming from the point where based started and I hope I satisfied your questions to a reasonable level. Hit me up if you have anything to criticize I am open for anything.

  5. #25
    Admin & CO Council Member Somenerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    This would be considered as manslaughter since he did not have a malicious intent of killing someone but accidently did.
    Correct.


    In the first situation you stated I would count that as DASO and would inform the MPs to arrest him. I would give him a warning first and if he does not change his behaviour, this punishment seems justified to apply.
    In the second situation hes activly engaging in actions to overthrow my command and therefore I would inform the MPs to arrest him for sedition. After they got arrested I would overthink my actions and if I seem to have acted in a wrong way I would adapt and change my strategy. (Mostly) marines complain/rebel for a given reason, no one would just start rebeling without a justified reason. But engaging in actions to overthrow command structure is not allowed and has to be punished. The Marines only work with a good command structure and can only suceed in their operation if there is a competent CIC giving the right orders. Yesterday I had a round where command was not present at all and was mute for the most time of the operation. We lost very quick and this situation shows how important the guidance of them is. Anyone trying to break that structure down is therefore a threat to the operation itself.
    Correct, but I find it interesting that you basically spelled out that they are a threat to the operation (ie, a potential BE) but didn't mention considering it. It's not wrong of you to not jump to a BE, and the answer is otherwise valid, I just find that odd.



    I would pardon this doctor since this is just a minor DASO and I would try to make them have peace between each other. The doc would be necassary here to keep the marine flow up. Granted the CMO could probably hold the medbay himself but dispensing on the doc here just because of DASO is not what is in my mind. If I recognize that any further trouble is happening between them I would go with the alternative you already talked about and fill in the position of the doc with a suitable replacement.

    The alternative here would be to fill in a synth to do manual surgery but with not being able to use the AutoDoc though. Another possibility would be to fill it in with a doc survivor of the colony after checking them for sure.
    It's good that you've recognised that you need to address the inter-departmental dispute. You would probably be better off addressing the dispute before attempting to release the prisoner, as it may result in the CMO not trusting you given you have just let someone who insulted them go free. I would also say that you're best off asking the CMO if they actually need any help before pardoning.

    Fortunately, pardons aren't your only option here.

    If I recognize that any further trouble is happening between them I would go with the alternative you already talked about and fill in the position of the doc with a suitable replacement.
    The alternative I was talking about was an alternative to Pardoning.
    They are guilty of a minor crime. Under Marine Law, the CO can overrule a minor sentence and turn it into an NJP. You can have this NJP be any sort of punishment, even just an apology to the CMO if you want it to be, but NJPing minor charges instead of pardoning opens you up to way less scrutiny.


    That MT should not be pardoned considering he already got pardoned once and resumed to do trouble. I would load the OB myself if necessary or send the XO to load it while I keep CIC up. Another alternative would be to send in the synth to load it.
    Good answer! It would have been good if you answered as well that you may be criminally charged as well due to the fact your pardon has resulted in a further offence, but otherwise decent answer.



    Leadership for me is only about giving orders but inspiring and motivating the others to fulfill their duty. Whenever I am playing XO I make motivating announcements boosting morale and giving the marines a hope. In most times this worked and even made a tide when marines went rushing. Another point that comes to my mind is that leadership involves the knowledge of your troops. Knowing who has which abilities and use them in the right moment can bring a victory to appear. As its even stated in the Commanding Officers wiki you will have to use the SOs as a extended arm of yourself. This does not only apply to the CIC staff but to each individual marine. When gaining experience trough playing for a long time now I got to know many players and this is what I also think is another reason why the Whitelist is bound to having a high playtime. As a leader you have to be resilient to anything coming up to you. As many caps already stated in other Whitelist applications: You will get to a point where everyone is against you or wants to remove you from your command. Getting trough this hard times show that you are a true leader capable of filling in that position. Another important point is that you have to take a risk others cannot take upon them. You can only conquer when you risk loosing something. In bad times that can be a substantial number of marine lifes. But the important point here is to learn how to improve after that. That risk does not only go for the marines that are serving under you but also for yourself. Sometimes you are even required to risk your own life. If it serves the purpose of achieving a victory it has to happen. That does not mean that you should rush infront of marines into the hostiles and willingly risk your life. As a important part of the mission you should stay alive as much as you can. But as example in situations where we are holding the Almayer to a last stand where the xenos are coming up, I already saw some captains turning the situation by charging and leading the marines trough the hallways leaving the hostiles no space to retreat. Another point that I already stated is always seeking to improve yourself and requires a huge acceptance of self-critism. If you cannot accept that you are bad in something you wont be able to change. Last but not least a minor point to add is being creative. I know this point may sound confusing. But being creative is important too. The hostile is always trying to foresee your actions. What you plan next and how you would perform that. A creative mind can change that predictable steps and confuse the hostile to the point where they cannot keep up their lines. This is the reason why flanks can work very good given the point that everyone abides to the plan. They are not expected. This is why this is another ability that comes to my mind a great leader should bring forth. All that abilities are subsumed under one person and that person is then called leader.
    Good answer to an open ended question with many possible outcomes.

    I personally have not witnessed you playing much, but I am willing to take other peoples word for your activity and competence in this case. Your answers are good and I think you'll be a good CO, just try and brush up on some more SOP and Marine Law. As you mention using SO's as an arm of yourself, You as the CO need to know what you legally can and cannot do and utilise your abilities to their fullest potential.

    Best of luck out there!
    +1
    Anna "High-Toss" Stall

    Whitelisted Commodore and CO Councillor, Admin, and Nerd!

  6. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Somenerd View Post
    Correct.



    Correct, but I find it interesting that you basically spelled out that they are a threat to the operation (ie, a potential BE) but didn't mention considering it. It's not wrong of you to not jump to a BE, and the answer is otherwise valid, I just find that odd.




    It's good that you've recognised that you need to address the inter-departmental dispute. You would probably be better off addressing the dispute before attempting to release the prisoner, as it may result in the CMO not trusting you given you have just let someone who insulted them go free. I would also say that you're best off asking the CMO if they actually need any help before pardoning.

    Fortunately, pardons aren't your only option here.



    The alternative I was talking about was an alternative to Pardoning.
    They are guilty of a minor crime. Under Marine Law, the CO can overrule a minor sentence and turn it into an NJP. You can have this NJP be any sort of punishment, even just an apology to the CMO if you want it to be, but NJPing minor charges instead of pardoning opens you up to way less scrutiny.



    Good answer! It would have been good if you answered as well that you may be criminally charged as well due to the fact your pardon has resulted in a further offence, but otherwise decent answer.





    Good answer to an open ended question with many possible outcomes.

    I personally have not witnessed you playing much, but I am willing to take other peoples word for your activity and competence in this case. Your answers are good and I think you'll be a good CO, just try and brush up on some more SOP and Marine Law. As you mention using SO's as an arm of yourself, You as the CO need to know what you legally can and cannot do and utilise your abilities to their fullest potential.

    Best of luck out there!
    +1
    Thanks for the reply and the support. Will take everything you said into consideration and sorry for misunderstanding that pardon question - whoops.

  7. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smov View Post
    You have a marine calling for a mutiny on the ground and it seems he is gaining support. Would you inform MPs to equip anti RIOT gear to counter them once they came up, or would you go down there with MP escorts to BE him ? Try to explain why too
    On one side going down and leaving the Almayer would leave them without a Captain and would also throw me into danger going directly to the mutineers myself instead of barricading and obtaining better positioning on the Almayer awaiting their arrival but on the other side leaving this threat unattended would probably end in, him gaining further support and the mutiny to grow so I have to Nip it in the bud. As for Marine Law he is breaking the sedition law and therefore that would warrant a BE.

    So my plan here would be to first check if there is a competent XO that is capable of holding the CIC. If that is the case I would then first try to contact the mutiny Attendees and talk with them about dropping the mutiny and that we have a threat to deal with on the surface. If the negotiations fail I would give the MPs the order to equip weaponary and write a announcement for the marines that are not participating to help me go against the threat. Then I would rally the loyal marines at the LZ with the MPs and head to fight the mutinees. Once I manage to BE the leader of the mutiny I would then do another announcement with the command tablet telling them to drop the mutiny and that the one who started it is dead now.

    If they comply then I would head back to the Almayer as quick as possible and resume leading the operation. But in the situation that they resume the mutiny I would take out any marine participating.

  8. #28
    Developer & CO Council Member naut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good answers, good responses, good app overall. I have seen you in command before and you do a pretty good job of leading.

    Just make sure to follow what the others have said - particularly you'll need to know a lot about Marine Law and SOP, 'cause you'll be facing a lot of incidents relating to those more often than most people are comfortable with.

    +1 from me! Good luck!

    CO Councilor & Spriter.

    I'm just someone trying her hardest to not get everyone horribly killed.

    im an artist too! see my works at my art dump below
    https://cm-ss13.com/forums/showthrea...aut-s-Art-Dump

  9. #29
    Moderator solidfury7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    400
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A competent individual who has an excellent balance of RP ability and combat ability, who I am sure won't let the whitelist down,

    +1
    Spoiler Spoiler:



  10. #30
    Senior Admin & CO Senator
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    263
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resolved - Accepted.

    Perms will be updated soon.

    I do, however, recommend you get discord and join the server. It's where most of the rule updates are announced.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •