User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letting xenos see special structures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Letting xenos see special structures

Im am a drone. I only play drone. I cant click things well enough to fight in melee.
    As a drone I am asked to build special structures alot. Alot of times we already have a recovery node set up. Some times its just on the other side of the wall we are in front of. Sometimes people rest at the wall when two seconds could save them a minute in resting, or their lives if they decide to leave early.
    Due to the way shotguns work, where two blasts can reset your entire chat screen, telling everyone where special structures are is sometimes not feasible, even if people are paying attention. People dont pay attention. Just let them see the structures so I can spend more time building and less time explaining where special structures are, or worse destroying a set because we built two different ones on the same visible screen but separated by a wall.

This is strictly a QOL addition to help us coordinate. No one pays attention to the tiny drone chat, you dont have a separate builder chat, and no one sets a lead builder.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can turn off combat chat messages

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyLee View Post
    you can turn off combat chat messages
    Yes. I can turn them off. People dont and they are the ones who have to see the message. 80% of xenos are incompetent, I among them. This wouldnt help those who can play the game well, but those who normally play marine and just want to play a xeno round occasionally. The people who zerg the front like quickly and either die or get very low, heal, then repeat. About half the combat caste every round Ive played in. The ones who then tell me to make recovery node despite there being two on the front lines. Despite the messages going up that they were built. Despite drones calling out the locations after they were built.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe try pointing to it shift+middle mouse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ObsidianCrow View Post
    Maybe try pointing to it shift+middle mouse
    How does this address the fact that anyone not there doesnt know that its there despite us being hivemind. I get that we cant see each others vision due to engine limitations (probably would cause a shit ton of lag, more then there is already) and that we cant see our own walls because it would a major buff because we could finally make mazes, but the entire hive should know where it is, and its 100% clear to anyone whose spent a few games playing drone that combat castes dont look at the chat telling them where it is. Pointing to it only helps the one person who tells you. Might as well just say it then. There was a suggestion where resin whisperers could have a special weed ability that lets the hive see hive structures in the area, making it worth getting for more then just meme strats. Thats fine, then I could just have the hivelord build the structures. But we are limited to like 5 recovery nodes so building two on a front we will leave is a major liability. Thats what has to happen though since you have to build one right where they are and destroy the one behind the one you just left. Its a full time job simply because there isnt a way for them to search for it easily.

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if a xeno doesn't turn off combat messages, and can't find structures just ought to learn over time, not much we can do to force them to learn.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just take away the hivemind lore piece at this point. The xeno have nothing that says they are a hivemind other then telepathy, which isnt even hivemind related. They cant see what others see, they cant find what other xeno have placed or navigate the hive like they were the one who built it, they dont have quick communication methods at the speed of thought (hivewide emotes or the like saying marines/tank on me with location). All because anything hivemind related would be overpowered or they just have to deal with it because theyre bald. They wanted to move away from the colonial marines franchise because of disney? Well just scratch the hivemind thing and just make them telepathically linked aliens because thats all they are. Communication is shit with the xenos and any QOL options to improve that are instantly shot down. I should be able to point to a marine or the tank or mortars or tcoms or a wall and it instantly tell everyone else its there with a sound ping. We are a hivemind. They knew the moment I knew. Except they dont and 80% of them will never read the message.

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can never be a true hivemind because it's a bunch of different players. I don't think we need to scrap the lore though. Most xenos who want to bother with faster healing will ask you themselves, or look for a node.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright one last example before I accept it will never happen. Here is something that happens all the time. I want to set up a node. I want it hidden from plain sight to protect it but its in a building. I also need to build it away from the front lines. The best spot is in an off corridor I door off. But I know if I do that I might as well not build it since no one will ever use it. Im also not sticking around so I cant tell anyone. I end up building it around the corner from the fighting, no doors or walls, and just accept that it will be killed in the next few minutes and cant be used as a defensive position because no one iss see it other wise then I move to the next spot and it happens all over.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is a qol thing, very little balance issue, I don't see any significant downsides to just letting xenos know at a glance where their special structures are.