Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ben11567 - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal InformationByond ID?
    ben11567

Player Name You Use Most?
    Zhilov Igorev

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    Medical Job Appeal (frontlined as doctor): //showthrea...0807#post40807 - Accepted

Mod app: //showthrea...3731#post53731 - Denied

CO App: //showthrea...er-Application - Denied

Mod App: //showthrea...or-Application - Accepted

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    BST

What is your discord username and handle?
    Ben11567

Basic Questions & StoryWhat do you think is the job of a Commander?
    I think that the commander has two primary jobs in a round from an IC point of the view. The commander should set an example to the marines, if they behave well and follow rp standards then those around them will too. The commander should also act as a figure that helps guide the marines and all departments on the Almayer in the right direction and should always be there in case something goes wrong. They should be the ones who marines can rely on to step up and lead, while shipside roles can look to them for assistance in any departmental issues. The commander shouldn’t act like this is a RTS, because its not. They should be willing to rely on others for assistance be able to delegate jobs and be able to change their plans if marines aren’t listening or something is going wrong. As such should have good communication skills while also having a good understanding of the game mechanics and rules. As a commanding officer you are essentially the glue that keeps the dysfunctional marines together.
    OOC wise the commander should once again be acting as a figure of RP and should be someone who knows the rules well. However, the most important job of a commander is to make the round fun. If you order all marines to stay at FOB behind cades on first drop or you will BE them that isn’t fun. That also means experimenting with the meta tactics. That can range from putting different squads on FOB to sending them to different locations on the map and trying crazy flanks, while this doesn’t always work it provides players with something new instead of the usual thing. That doesn’t mean you should never try the usual plans, sometimes you don’t have a choice due to numbers. It also doesn’t mean a commander should completely throw the round trying a random plan like ordering no FOB (which is not allowed OOCly).

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    When I first started playing in 2017 I always looked up to captains, they always seemed like a HRP role that could easily lead the marines to victory. Once my permaban was lifted in 2018 I started playing command but never got into it, recently that’s changed. My top three roles are XO,SL and CMP. For me commanding is one of the most fun roles in CM, being able to try and find new ways to make the round fun while also having to deal with problems shipside and ground side is always enjoyable.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    As I said earlier I was permabanned in 2017 for lrp. As a captain I believe I could try to bring some rp back to CM. I also think that with my long experience with CM and being staff I could help new players who might not know all the rules, like MPs who need help with ML or new CiC staff. Because I have been around for a while I have also played through a lot of similar rounds where command does the same plan, as a CO I would like to help change that by bringing in new plans that allow players to experience something different in their round.

How will your Commanding Officer behave? Describe their character.
    Igorev is a traditional military man. He is someone who follows SOP and ML strictly. He always shows commanding officers respect and when on duty stays focused on the task at hand while remaining serious, people around him might see this as boring but he gets the job done.
    Being raised in a military family he loves everything about the USCM, often times praising the craftsmen ship of the OB shells to each weapon the marines hold. Igorev holds the traditional value that dying for what you believe in is one of the most honourable thing a person can do, as such any man or woman who dies with a rifle in hand earns his respect. This also means he often prioritises pushes against the enemy, refusing to stay behind cades. While this doesn’t mean he will never order a tactical retreat it does lead many men to think he is heartless, as he has said if his ship was ever boarded he would not allow evacuation, instead he would make every man and woman fight until their last breath. He very much holds the ideology of the Hawks and his tactics represent that.

Name and briefly describe your Commanding Officer's own ship.
    USS ARCADIA: A Raider Class ship that first saw combat during the battle of Slothgan. At 90 meters long it is smaller then most other ships in the fleet, however what it lacks in size it more than makes up for in speed. Designed to quickly move in and out of battle zones to deliver heavy strikes the Arcadia is equipped with three M-Class engines. Armed with two heavy laser cannons, a large missile bay, an ion cannon and three gimballed turrets the Arcadia is heavily armed for its size and can easily hold its own in a battle.
    What makes the ship unique is its ability to land on a planets surface. Outfitted with a crew of 40, 15 of those on board are marines trained in sabotage and stealth ops, making the Arcadia ship suitable for stealth/reconnaissance missions on an enemy base.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    ExperienceHow experienced are you with the position of a Squad Leader (SL)?
    Because of the amount of time I have played CM I am quite experienced with squad leader. Since the introduction of time locks at has become my second most played role behind XO.

How experienced are you with the position of a Staff Officer (SO)?
    While I don’t have as much playtime with the SO role I am still very experienced with what they do. Often times as X.O I will be providing OW for squads and I know my way around the CiC.

How experienced are you with the position of a Department Head?
    Playing a lot of SS13 and CM I am experienced with being a department head. The role with the most playtime I have is CMP, however a while ago I used to play a lot of CMO and CE. Occasionally I will jump on as RO if I want a more relaxed round.

How experienced are you with the position of the Executive Officer (XO)?
    X.O is my most played role on the server. I know my around the CiC and can lead an operation on my own or under a captains supervision.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)?
    As someone who plays CMP a lot I am familiar with SOP and ML. Because SOP and ML are closely linked to staff issues I also have a good understanding of it from moderating.

ScenariosWhen do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used? List some examples of scenarios in which a battlefield execution would be correctly used.
    While most people say a battlefield execution is a last resort I disagree with that. For me a BE should be used when a player is ruining the flow of a round and disrupting the marines ability to win. This doesn’t however mean you should go around executing marines for DASO or NOD as it is a tool that permanently takes a marine out of the round. Here are some examples for when I believe a BE is being correctly used:
    • A staff officer spreading false information to marines through announcements or squad orders. For example if they were telling marines to rush into a hoard of xenomorphs while directly ignoring my orders to stop and carrying on after a couple of warnings.
    • A delta SL who is gathering marines for a mutiny and ordering men to not deploy because they got an order they didn’t like.
    • A rowdy marine who tries to steal equipment valuable to the captain (Mateba, command tablet) or who assaults/seriously injures another marine or officer.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner? What are some examples of crimes you would pardon, and those you would not?
    If a prisoner believes they have been falsely arrested they can request an appeal, a pardon is for those who have been proven guilty of a crime and as such should only be allowed in special circumstances. I believe that for any minor crimes where a marine is desperately needed for the operation the best thing to do is to force NJP, not only does this mean the player still has a punishment but also gets rid of any liability on the commander if they mess up again. An example of a crime I would pardon is major DtGP, while not a serious crime it cannot be resolved with NJP. Where I would not grant a pardon is if a Spec or SG was arrested round start and wanted to deploy. Even if it was a minor crime they are not desperately needed and I believe it sets a bad example to other players. It lets players believe that if they are a special role they can get away with breaking ML or SOP because nobody will arrest them, which will eventually lead to marines breaking ML more and causing more issues. I would also not pardon most major or capital crimes. If a prisoner has done something serious like assault then they should serve their time and learn how to behave if they want to continue playing.

What is your routine after starting the round as either a Staff Officer or Executive Officer? Assume you joined round-start and are inside your quarters.
    The first thing I do when I wake up as XO is announce over command comms that I am awake. Assuming there is no CO then I would go to CiC and announce a briefing time and begin working on my plan. While working on my plan I would go to the OW consoles and check how many marines are in each squad, looking for engineers and medics while setting aSLs. I would then ask on command comms what vehicle has been chosen, how many IOs there are and would ask in engineering for somebody to load the OB.
    If there is a captain awake I would do much the same. I would go to the different OW consoles and give them the numbers for squads, while checking on the OB and offering any advice I can for the operations orders.

How would you handle insubordinate departments? State what you would do for each department if they were insubordinate.
    Engineering:
    As with each of the departments I would give the people involved three chances before taking action. For engineering the only job that directly affects the operation is OB, if they were refusing to reload it I would go do it myself and inform MPs to arrest them for NOD. If engineering was deconstructing parts of the ship I would simply order them to fix it, if not I would inform MPs where they are doing it and let them handle the situation.

Medical:
    The most common way I have seen medical be insubordinate is through breeding xenos. If they were doing this against my orders I would simply grab some MPs and execute the xenos in research and inform the CMO to get control of their staff. If doctors were refusing to follow orders, like deploying instead of staying in medbay, I would authorise MPs to deploy after them for NOD and would demote them from their position assuming medbay had enough staff.

Requisitions:
    Because req is vital to the marine operation I would handle this quickly. If the RO or CTs were refusing to buy marines essential supplies or wasting budget on supplies that aren’t needed I would give them one warning to stop before having them arrested and demoted. I would then assign either a synth or CiC staff member to take their position if they were the only person in req.

MPs:
    With recent rule changes to MPs if they were breaking ML or attempting to grief marines I would just contact a member of staff. In the meantime I would try to speak to the CMP about them getting control of their staff, if the CMP was involved then I would arrest them and promote the next highest ranking MP.

CiC:
    Because the CiC is an essential part of the marine operation I would be harsh with dealing with insubordinate officers. If the XO or a SO was refusing to follow the orders I was giving in a respectful way I would ask them if they had a better idea for what the marines should do, if their idea was good I would change my orders to reflect that. If they were refusing to follow orders in an attempt to grief, like announcing false orders for marines to get them killed, I would give them one warning to stop before having them arrested and demoted.

How would you handle an understaffed CIC? What if you and the XO are the only available CIC crew?
    Because of the hours I play I am often the only staff in CiC. I would ask the XO if they knew what they were doing, if yes then I would get them to handle OW for two squads while I handle OW for the other two. Being used to understaffed CiC I have got good at watching marines while giving out orders to all squads.

What would you do if you were deployed and a marine told you they were going to desert the operation?
    Because I am deployed and the marine is saying directly to me that they are deserting I would give them one warning to get back to fighting, if they refuse I would BE them and announce through the command tablet why it has happened.

ConfirmationsDo you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your name doesn't ring too many bells so I can't really support/disapprove based on in-game behavior with SL and command.

I can though with player behavior. You were perma'd a long long time ago and since than have become staff and while I worked with you and trained ya, you were a decent person.

I can't support this application until I see you but if others vouch for your competence in such roles I see no issues with you as a player taking up the role of CO.

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bah humbug. You were my XO when I was doing my Grinch captain gimmick. Instead of just agreeing with me, or just swearing at me, you decided to try and show me the joy of Christmas the entire round! And you succeeded! Merry Christmas! You're a good commander, I can say that, and you're a very fun player. Keep it up. For now I shall have to give my

+2
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant XO, reliable. Good solid answers.

+1
    Chaotic puppet-master from hell

Commanding Officer Council Member Superreallycoolguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Commander, this is your Stalker Captain, Karl Walz. I have had you as my XO countless times and never once have you disappointed me. Even when I deploy your are in constant communication with me and run CIC without a scratch. I see you outside of CIC which is good, as well as you are a good RPer. Your answers are solid and I have few doubts.

You have done good +1
    I Play Karl 'Ausbruch' Walz
    CO Council Member, Discord Is Dargus#4831, DM Your CO Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sought for help, sought to improve and is a solid person overall, I will go with a +1
    Captain Elzbieta Brygida

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good answer.
    I think I have seen you before and you did alright when comparing to some other people I have seen when they play executive officer.
    +1

Whitelisted Captain BatHoovyDood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Name rings almost no bells for me, and I don't have a single distinct memory of you in a command rule. But as you said in your app you play off hours, so seems like a safe bet to say that is a scheduling issue more than anything else. Seems like you have learned from your ban though, and making it to mod is at least a good sign of competence. For now I'm gonna wait until I can see you in command, as I have more time on the weekends to play at insane hours. Keep up the good style that others have seen and Im sure you can get this app in the end.
    - Squad Leader Cassandra 'Boston' Ellis (and overconfident CO)

(Probably already dead)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had you as my XO before. You know how to do your job well so no doubts you will do good as a CO. Coordination and persuasion are one of the most important things a CO can learn. Sometimes marines can do the exact opposite of what you ordered and you've shown to me that you know how to deal with that problem.

Your application is solid and there are no issues or red flags about your attitude so it's only fair that I give you a POSITIVE vote.
    I play as Viktor 'Beer' Kleiner, Matthaus and as Var'dqi Bo'ytill

LT COL. VIKTOR KLEINER, USS LOWË'S COMMANDING OFFICER

PROVISIONAL COMMAND OVER THE USS ALMAYER

Ex-CO Councillor. If you have any questions regarding the whitelist, feel free to DM me.
    Discord is Axyinious#3635

The Neverplayer Commodore
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1-The CL is announcing on squad comms that he is hiring PMCs post-OP. He manages to get a couple marines to sign his paperwork but they are already working for him, instead of post OP like he said previously.
    You go to his office to confront him and he runs away down the hallways. You have 1 newbie MP and minimal CIC staff. What would you do regarding the whole situation (What would you tell marines, the CL, how would you deal with the CL etc) ? Be as detailed as possible.

2 - Your Transport PO is sending the ship up and down via the pilot's bubble in the hangar. When you confront him, he tells you that he is doing his job and says "Fuck off". You then order your one MP to arrest him and while the MP is cuffing the pilot, you Grab the PO and BE him. Was the BE valid ?
    Last edited by smov; 12-14-2020 at 03:32 PM.
    Captain Morgan Young

Charlie Squad Medic main and the worst nade Thrower you Will ever see.