Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did you enjoy CM, what do you think of TGMC

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you enjoy CM, what do you think of TGMC

idk I been playing CM less now that I was aware a lot of people did not like me and I migrated elsewhere. playing CM for the novelty I guess

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CM is all about the software, not the hardware. To me, it's about the peeps and what the peeps do with the existing features and whatnot.

tl dr: CM - Actual Unga boonga push! TGMC - Let's RP Unga boonga push!

To quote Mark 'Echo' Kesserine(He is admin there now), TGMC is CM 2016-2017.

TGMC is more chill and, since they dont really have a recent drama, they are growing slowly. They need some fixing here and there, like for example you cant take pills off from the belt like in CM. You cant unga rush, so you have to rely on slow tactical on the go push. And since its chill, you can literally RP during combat or anything. But you cant do epic gamer strats like here in CM, so TGMC can be quite linear and how you play depends on the Gamemode you pick which is either Distress Signal or Crash. Which means, for some people, iiiiit can get boring quick. On the other hand, because its chill, you literally have time to build your story RP ingame.

TGMC dont have that intensive combined arms development as CM yet, I will sum them in points:
    -Xeno structures is laughable, you can destroy anything with a flamer.
    -Xeno classes are great, a lot of variety. So Hive can be completely mobile
    -A lot of weapon variety for Marines, and the Weapons are OP
    -TGMC CAS and CM CAS is just different. I find both are unique in their own way, although I find CM CAS a bit more impressive
    -TGMC Marine mobility is really really bad. If you are used to the unga push in CM you will feel the big difference. In CM you can constantly run, in TGMC you can only run up till your Stamina limit
    -TGMC lets you prebuild FOB before drop with drones, which is really neat
    -TGMC has a specific Field Commander role, which is CO but you get to deploy. Whereas in CM we are fighting over whether CO should deploy or not. There they have a CO AND a FC, and you can order Mateba for the FC.
    -TGMC locks the LZs and you can only start fighting at a set time, which prevents Metarushing
    -You cant stun marines and xenos with nades in TGMC, but in CM you can. (I am a bit split on this one, I kinda like both)
    -TGMCs have no MPs, you literally dont have MPs in TGMC. CM Does. But all shenanigans are OOC enforced, so you cant just beat each other up or break glasses and get away with it or run from MPs. In TGMC you will get punished.
    -TGMC is a lot smoother than CM at the moment
    -TGMC emphasises more on Tactics and Ground Forces while CM emphasises more on Strategy and Combined Arms
    -TGMC Xenos salt too, but CM Xeno salt is far more delicious

Honestly, TGMC is like a split soul from CM. I go to TGMC I feel half empty. I go to CM I feel half empty as well. And the reason I find is that the same people I played in CM 2018 and 2019 didnt fully mirgate to either servers. There are half there and half here. That's why I say its all about software.

This is my view on the two servers, each to their strengths really.

The big difference is that TGMC is only up if two admins are available to host and moderate. In CM, its up 24/7.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casada_Radio View Post
    Whereas in CM we are fighting over whether CO should deploy or not.
    damn they still fighting on this huh? what happened to making the CO a role of sitting in the CIC to roleplay?

On your other points, i'd argue that TGMC's recent developments of the tadpole mini-dropship and drop pods avaliable to all marines make the game alot less linear and replayable, its more of a 'search and unga' and less of an 'assault on the next chokepoint'. TGMC does have a shitty meta of Xenos who hive up the LZ and force the round to begin with a boring cadehugger fob siege, but thankfully we've been semi-successful in bullying said queens from not doing that anymore and they realised that fighting marines at full strength was stupid anyway. On lowpop you can even skip the LZ entirely and do a tadpole FoB anywhere on the map, although it WILL make xenos supersalt in dchat when you start handing out miniguns in the first 10 minutes

Command gameplay is alot less direct there, don't expect to be drawing up maps and planning out grand encirclements etc, its alot more tactics focused with SL's and marine 'metateams' being the main driving force of the round flow. Less cadehugging at chokepoints but more cadehugging at the LZ. The best parts for me are no tank and no specs, its alot cooler getting to earn your OP gun from req than getting a random 2% roll, and its not balanced around the power creep of such (admittedly some of them are pretty damn broken, like the thermobaric launcher). Also no space for shenanigans or shipside antics, if you get shot by a shitter you have to ahelp it rather than shoot back.
    Last edited by Dreven; 12-11-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreven View Post
    damn they still fighting on this huh? what happened to making the CO a role of sitting in the CIC to roleplay?
    Ok let me clarify, I am not sure if this is still being argued. I was referring to the time peeps were arguing about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TG is a lot more enjoyable to play in my opinion and its mainly due to the atmosphere and gameplay.

For starters CM's combat is just chokepoint after chokepoint and often fights are just trench warfare stalemates until one side fucks up. On TG there's a lot more back and forth across the map which is ironic given how TG has walking as default and stamina. I personally prefer being able to skirmish across a good portion of the map in smaller fights and whilst CM's large chaotic fights are occasionally fun they are mainly stagnant and repetitive. This is largely due to how restrictive CM actually is when it comes to viable tactics. As mentioned by others the recent updates to TG basically encourage marine movement across the map and even deploying in obscure locations. This kind of experimentation is something CM sorely lacks due to the restrictions from the games mechanics and from the player base. This wasn't so much of a problem before because we had CO's (yes even the meme ones) who would intentionally go off meta and a player base that was willing to follow those orders despite it potentially (and probably) costing them the round.

The next topic is gunplay. Simply put TG has a far more satisfying feel to its gunplay and its largely due to the fact that weapons feel like they have an "oomph!" to them as well as the ability to fire in full auto which which will always amuse my simple mind. The only real satisfaction I get out of CM's combat is when I've gotten a kill/crited or PB'd something and that's because I can visually see that I've at the very least injured it. This goes more on the psychological aspect of gunplay, where in TG you can visibly see the damage you are inflicting on the xeno which in turn gives positive and satisfying feedback loop.
    In other words, "I can see I'm actually hurting this guy so I'm going to keep at it." where as on CM it's a case of "Its flashing red so I know I'm hitting it but I don't know if its actually hurt." and because of this I feel that its all for nothing since I can't get the visual feedback that my attempts to hurt the xeno are actually working.

Next up Atmosphere!
    TG has a much better atmosphere and there's a few things that contribute to it. 1)Player base, the size of TG's player base mean that squads are actually squads and not the size of entire platoons. So it helps create the feel that "yea this is just a small squad being sent in." 2)Lighting, what can I say when proper lighting is added it makes for a more immersive experience. I really do feel like and think the planet is dark and that it's night time. On CM I think "Hey, they've made everything dark so that xenos can hide". 3)Weather effects, nothing more to say they add to the overall setting and really help establish the theme of the map/location. Sorokyne tried this but sadly due to the laggyness of the map feeling immersed becomes difficult. (especially when you get frozen screens for seconds at a time)

The Ship. Gonna be honest here and yea you can skip this one if you think its a dumb point. But I really do think the ship adds to the experience. Pillar of spring feels like it was built for the marines serving on it. Its cramped, utilitarian and just the right size for the number of people. With the Almayer I don't get that, its obnoxiously large, littered with a bunch of useless rooms and a nonsensical layout simply put it doesn't feel like it was built for the falling falcons or the marines in general but rather some sort of civilian retrofitted vessel. It simply doesn't feel like the "patrol craft" its meant to be. (again this is also due to the lighting and atmosphere)

This might be seen as me just shitting on CM so I wanna say this, If I didn't enjoy playing CM I wouldn't still be here. CM has changed a lot over the years, yet also hasn't changed at all in some areas. At this day and age I simply think its became a victim of its own success, due to the increased player count a lot of the features TG holds over CM are just simply not viable and would cause tremendous lag for the server. Furthermore, its not like the devs aren't aware of the problems that effect CM or are just doing nothing. Years before the tadpole and drop pods CM was experimenting with Para trooping (we even had a few test rounds) and now the devs are working on a techweb update and node system(???) to hopefully encourage movement across the map for both sides.

Steps are being taken and who knows maybe at some point in the future CM will be more successful in some of the areas I've talked about.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think part of the problem been always the the low alien to marine pop numbers.

Aliens get max 35-45 start aliens+monkies+burrowed while marines will get 100~ Pennsylvania Fried Chickens. Aliens used to get 20-30~ from monkies and 20-30 roundstart+burrowed. The bigger issue was the crippling of the capture loop to hell and back? Why it matters? Wellllll when you want to make a balanced game and one side can typically cap 3-5 guys and get 10 guys back literally losing anyone hurts that side horrifical. And you will get baldies, you will get dum roomers, you will get all sorts of stupid shit and bugs. Losing anyone hurts aliens horrifical unless they get lucky and marines scooby doo so hard they get picked off piecemeal and head 20 caps.

Aliens cant reliable capture thus they need to be strong enough or the guns weak enough for them to survive anything, if you want the glory of blam blaming aliens like any good Aliens game you need to make it so aliens have more numbers or can more reliably replace there numbers.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    snip
    Have a Queen off ovi and a carrier.
    Go into group of marines.
    Screech.
    Carrier caps marines.
    Drones, runners and such drag mariens away.
    Tanky benos cover the retreat.
    Repeat.
    You can't reliably cap my ass, my very capped ass.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Have a Queen off ovi and a carrier.
    Go into group of marines.
    Screech.
    Carrier caps marines.
    Drones, runners and such drag mariens away.
    Tanky benos cover the retreat.
    Repeat.
    You can't reliably cap my ass, my very capped ass.
    Ah yes rely on the Queen for all your capping needs.

The point is to diversify the options so they don’t have to send the Queen to do everything

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    Ah yes rely on the Queen for all your capping needs.

The point is to diversify the options so they don’t have to send the Queen to do everything
    Queen already does everything. Also, with Queen you get easy multiple caps, singular caps are still possible, however all require either hosts near eggs, or carrier which is fine.
    Warrior + Carrier + Some fodder = Cap.
    And such.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other capping options, have an eggmorpher/trap/egg in xenos lines and as prea or warrior fling a marine towards the trap. Capping is still a very easy thing to pull off if you properly setup for it.