User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Modest Proposal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Modest Proposal

I don't really play PFC anymore, and its mostly due to CM's gun feedback being bad. From observing and playing xeno, I know that even a single rifle can do a respectable amount of damage, but as a marine it feels like I might as well be using a water pistol. This is because from the marine perspective, xenos have three damage states: alive, crit, and dead. Unlike marines, xenos don't slow down when taking damage (which would make them unplayable) or have their sprite become increasingly bloodied.

TGMC does have an extremely robust set of damage overlays for all of its xeno castes, and players have cited this as being one of the reasons why TGMC has better gunplay. Currently no devs/spriters have expressed interest in creating a similar system, as it would require a large amount of work (4-5 sprite overlays per caste times the number of damage states) or somehow getting TGMC's overlays (unsure if that would ever happen).

This does not change the fact that weapon feedback is still non-existant in CM. As such, I propose that for a testing period, we have pips appear next to xeno sprites as they take damage. This would be like the pips that appear on marines when a praetorian hits them with acid abilities, except that the number of pips would correlate with the percentage of health a xeno has lost. We then see how gameplay changes and players adapt for after a week or two. If it proves to be popular, the improvised damage indicator system might inspire contributors to create proper damage overlays. If not, then we can simply return to the status quo.

Since devs don't really visit this forum anymore, I'm primarily interested in hearing everyone's thoughts regarding damage feedback on xenos, and how we might realistically deal with the issue.
    Luca Jagemann, the cynical colonial with the prescription glasses.

Ancient Synth Williams, on another rescue mission in Brazil.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in the alien verse the wetland yutani gun have the ability to determine the health of a hostile and whether or not it can even be taken down by the numbers of round remaining. maybe that but a suit accessory or something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by special2kira View Post
    in the alien verse the wetland yutani gun have the ability to determine the health of a hostile and whether or not it can even be taken down by the numbers of round remaining. maybe that but a suit accessory or something
    there's no need for anything like that, marines already have the ability to tell at a glance how injured a xeno is. You examine them and you get a distinct message telling you how much health they have left. The issue is that nobody has time to do that in combat. I think having at least one visible damage indicator that kicks in at like, half health would be beneficial.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    devs wont add overlays from tgmc because they hold pride in doing something original rather than copy and paste (there's not really a lot to be proud of though)
    Vibing as: Dismas Hind.

THE BOIS (And gals)
    https://pastebin.com/DHCmg4nM

Shoutouts to Manezinho for the pixelart

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then just add healthbar to benos that are like 4-5 tiles next to you and its all fine and dandy.

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Then just add healthbar to benos that are like 4-5 tiles next to you and its all fine and dandy.
    Maybe a pretty vague health bar, like 1/3 or 1/5.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Thought about that, and the only reason I’m leery about that idea is that health bars tend to “float” above smaller xenos, and expose runners/larvae under tables (certainly would be funny af, but would also elicit more xeno salt than I want to deal with).
    Luca Jagemann, the cynical colonial with the prescription glasses.

Ancient Synth Williams, on another rescue mission in Brazil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I definitely think some feedback about how "close" you got to killing something would be good.

At the moment in an unlucky round you spend 2 hours over a round firing at xenos and they never die and it makes them feel immortal. Even if in reality there were 5 instances where a xeno escaped from you with 2% hp left and you would of killed them with slightly better aim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >health bars
    remember when everyone lost their shit because of K/D ratios?
    We actually turning this game into a handholding zoomer shootemup now?

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can already examine a xeno to see its health

If anything we should add the damage overlays rather than shitty immersion breaking health bars
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang