User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bring Back Ice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring Back Ice

Seriously, we had a round on it the other day and it was pretty fun. Everyone hating it was more of a meme than anything: it's flawed but it's not the worst map(I'd much rather play on it than Sorokyne or Prison), it works fine and there's no reason people shouldn't be allowed to vote for it. It isn't nearly bad enough to justify being completely removed from the rotation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it wasn't a meme its genuinely shit
    Nathon Stafford-Sunglasses wearing Delta L42 kiter man. Sometimes a Captain.
    Benedict-Praiser of Jesus, healer of marines, killer of Queens.
    Kahn'Ikesh-Blooded Hunter and great grandson of Gor'don Ram-sey
    (pfp by Manezinho)
    medals:https://pastebin.com/xiCJLuhz
    Mapper since 12/29/2020
    Had dev role assasinated on 8/2/21

Synth Councilor as of 2/5/21 along with Jakk, Frogzeke, Yukonsnow, and Flpls
    DM what#3954 for help with Synth Applications

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is genuinely shit. the only reason I liked it was nostalgia. I always hated trying to navigate it.

Whitelisted Captain BatHoovyDood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've said this before, but I know how to fix Ice. It needs another Z-level. We have ground, underground, and second floors of buildings. Flawless plan, and I will not be accepting criticism.
    - Squad Leader Cassandra 'Boston' Ellis (and overconfident CO)

(Probably already dead)

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove underground, expand surface slightly.

Ice is now a good map.

Underground Ice sucks cock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ice is the best map for mindgames.
    Too bad marines have less than room temperature IQ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, I played a lot on Ice. Most complaints came from getting constantly lost. And I don't really care that some people here are so cool that they blindly know all maps layout perfectly. When I first started playing due to map rotations, taking shipside roles, and pure unluck dying too early, I literally haven't explored 80% of the surface on ice in 3 months, let alone underground. As a result, I was constantly lost when ever we were pushing anywhere outside of bar.

Also, the distance between LZ and bar is massive. It simply takes too long to get there. Runners and lurkers always snatch you and there is no realistic way to cade. Even on LZ fitness road can be clayed, caded, patrolled, or just run fast. But on Ice, it was a deathtrap.

As for the underground, my biggest complaint was, going down was like getting over the trench in WW1. It's a death sentence. Even if you kill a few xenos, you are so far cut off from other marines that you will run out of meds, mats, ammo really fast and it's impossible to resupply you. Flanking anything downstairs is easy as hell as a xeno and God forbid you take the wrong ladder or elevator up, runner will shred you in a second. You will die alone and nobody will rescue you. Also when we rolled with experienced xenos, it's just simply too easy to bait marines to use the elevator, place some resin windows and gaschamber and entire squad in 10 seconds. But again, marines are forced to go down and face xenos in a meatgrinder.

With that said, having a second level for the map is amazing and terrifying. It's a great idea is if implemented properly.

A few things I think would solve this:

- Make the map smaller. Way smaller. That would solve the getting lost part.

- Simplify the layout. This map is about having 2 levels. No need to go fancy. Have a straigh forward LZ-Nexus-Hydro like setup.

- Remove ladders, add stairs to encourage transferring between levels. I can simply cade off and claymore/sentry a ladder. No way to even trip the clay as a runner without dying. Make steps, so both sides have a little room to move around when assaulting the other level.

- Make it worth it to go down. As of now, going down has just too much downsides. Make it worthwhile for marines to go down: have a room with 1000 metal and 500 plasteel. if marines risk dyeing over it, make it worth it (maybe put in a free vendor so xenos cant melt it). Have a room on the other side of the planet with nades, automatic guns or special medicines. If a bald CO can implement a recovery team strategy and retrieve these items, it can be a game changer. Or risk getting hugged and die horribly. This will open possibilities for tactics on both sides and give incentives for players. Also it will make the round interesting.

- Place a building on the other side of the top level. If marines reach it and flip the switch, underground now has floodlight enabled that can't be destroyed by xenos. It's not a game changer, but it will help marines a lot and will open up new strategies.

To sum it up, Ice could be the opposite of LV, where every single rounds is exactly same. This could be the most interesting tactical map out there if they can pull it off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making the map smaller and simplifying the layout would make it too much like the other maps, Ice stands out by being unique. I never found the top layer hard to navigate, either(underground is a different story, I never could remember the layout very well), and it's much easier to get around on it now, anyway, because they massively nerfed the snow slowdown. If you want to mitigate that, though, I think the best way is to just put a garage with 4 or so trucks in it at LZ1 like Big Red has now.

As for the underground being a deathtrap, get this: that's fucking cool as hell. It owns that it's such a nightmare for the marines down there, because that's actually a unique thing that makes for Interesting Gameplay(and RP if we're still pretending that happens on this server). I'm not saying we should do 24/7 ice or anything but it's a really nice change of pace every once in a while after 10 rounds of LV-BR. If people are in the mood to die horribly in a basement then why not let them vote for it? Back when it was in the rotation with pop-locks you only saw like, 1 ice round every couple of days, and I think that's about right for it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ice awesome add back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stfu win slaves... Ice is the good shit, add back..
    Captain Elzbieta Brygida