User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bring Back Ice

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ice is the best fucking map and besides lag late game (which is almost none existent nowadays) it's amazing.

People hate because of cadehugging.....stop cadehugging then. @TheDexFiles and I have all sorts of flanks, breaches, holdouts, and even suicide charges on that map and it's a fun experience for both sides too.

Xenos holding out underground around bar and securing there? Lure them with the tank down the Dorms Elevator and send squads down excav ladders and Hydro.

One of my top rounds on ice was near its removal. As Alpha SL I spoke with Dex the CO on possible maneuvers to seize victory when xenos think they'll have an easy win on this map. Delta was sent down near Bar and Aero Dome to lure xenos over there and reinforce that area. Once we pulled them out my squad finished fixing upper reactors in engineering towards the northern part of the map I lead my squad down there. Most were hesitant but when you see yer SL charge carelessly down a ladder into the darkness and kill a Warrior and Lurker moral rises. With sniper spec, 2 engineers, medic, 4 PFCs, and an SG, we set up multiple portable cades and a M56D facing west down the hallway and began the act of holding against all goddamn odds.

Myself and another engineer helped me set up the reactors, set up the SMES, repair APCs, and seal off the doors with welds and bolts. We held for a good 10 minutes, most of us near crit with the sheer amount of acid from spitters and boilers but we fucking held that shit. Soon after 2 full squads come swarming from the west after dropping down at LZ2 and the rest of my squad comes down the engineering ladders reinforcing our old. Lead my squad south through multiple walls I blew open with C4 and rushed south and pulled off one hell of a flank. Xenos pinned from the north and south in the hallway being shredded to pieces by Specs, SGs, and multiple ungas.

The amount of things you can pull off on that map is amazing and actually balanced. All it takes is to use your brain and not follow the swarm of marines wanting to cadehug the LZ for some damn reason or listen to the dumbass CO who says to poor through one ladder, one marine at a time into a death bit. There's multiple ways to get underground and you have OT nades to blow apart those first layers of defenses and C4 to blow open walls to open flanks. Setting up traps as you lure xenos into a different part of the underground and force them into a killbox and blowing them to pieces with OT claymores, C4, or even just the good ol' fuel tank and bullet trap.

As for people saying it's hard to navigate, it's not different from any other map. Literally just look at the map from the wiki and see where shit is. Not hard and doesn't require above room temperature IQ unless I'm misinformed on how hard it is to read a map.

Bring back my map and leave it as is.

- Doctor Compy, ICE IS BEST

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ice is nice nerds

#ice4ever
    Chaotic puppet-master from hell

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauntasa View Post
    As for the underground being a deathtrap, get this: that's fucking cool as hell. It owns that it's such a nightmare for the marines down there, because that's actually a unique thing that makes for Interesting Gameplay(and RP if we're still pretending that happens on this server). I'm not saying we should do 24/7 ice or anything but it's a really nice change of pace every once in a while after 10 rounds of LV-BR. If people are in the mood to die horribly in a basement then why not let them vote for it? Back when it was in the rotation with pop-locks you only saw like, 1 ice round every couple of days, and I think that's about right for it.
    people don't hate ice for being "hard to navigate" or whatever they hate it because every round on it goes one of 2 ways

LZ2: One side gets rushed and the round ends pretty fast

LZ1: 5 hour delay-fest because ladders are fucking terrible, any xenos with half a brain will endlessly camp the ladders which leads to insanely unfun rounds where nothing happens. At most 4 people can go down at a time which isn't hard to deal with, there's 0 ways to get underground without using the ladders or the elevator (boiler city) so have fun trying to push down there. What usually happens is queen will try to push up a ladder, get hurt a bit, then retreat back down and heal in 4 seconds, rinse and repeat. That or xenos will just camp the ladders enough to the point where there are so little marines they get an easy major.

If you enjoy that good for you but most people don't.
    Nathon Stafford-Sunglasses wearing Delta L42 kiter man. Sometimes a Captain.
    Benedict-Praiser of Jesus, healer of marines, killer of Queens.
    Kahn'Ikesh-Blooded Hunter and great grandson of Gor'don Ram-sey
    (pfp by Manezinho)
    medals:https://pastebin.com/xiCJLuhz
    Mapper since 12/29/2020
    Had dev role assasinated on 8/2/21

Synth Councilor as of 2/5/21 along with Jakk, Frogzeke, Yukonsnow, and Flpls
    DM what#3954 for help with Synth Applications

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Real Heroes Vote Ice and Leave the Server
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    boomerj oke so fujnny, boomer make me laughter he is so fnny man, he say ice nice vote server, what a funny boomer man!!!!!!!
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AcuteCircle View Post
    boomerj oke so fujnny, boomer make me laughter he is so fnny man, he say ice nice vote server, what a funny boomer man!!!!!!!
    Insightful
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ice is actually a good map, maybe one of my favorites, besides Soro. You can easily get used to layout of the land. Moreover, this map gives xenos an actual fighting chance and marines a challenge, instead of us charging in and claiming victory too easily or xenos. I think it's a great map and a hell of a lot better than LV-624. Furthermore, keep the underground portion of the map, as @dautnsa mentions it does give a feeling of scariness and intimidation, those tight corridors, dark halls, and the sounds of marines getting dragged off into the darkness. When shit hits the fan at LZ2, when most of the marine force is dead, and it's just you, two other PFC's, an SG, and a local engineer, who you're covering to get the elevator working, so you and your team can get back to LZ1. It gives a new experience and breath of fresh air from the other maps. Especially LV-624. Keep the map, by all means, if corrections have to be made then so be it, but please keep it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    When Ice was around this old geezer would PM me randomly to get me to vote Ice. I rather not get sexually harassed via PMs so NO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post

LZ1: 5 hour delay-fest because ladders are fucking terrible, any xenos with half a brain will endlessly camp the ladders which leads to insanely unfun rounds where nothing happens. At most 4 people can go down at a time which isn't hard to deal with, there's 0 ways to get underground without using the ladders or the elevator (boiler city) so have fun trying to push down there.
    Forget boilers. I was playing a lot of borrower on ICE. Marines have no counters. I trapped every single ladder with traps. Soon as they go down, stun and damage. Runner start shredding them. When they get up, tremor and keep shredding. in 5-6 seconds they are in crit and they can't do literally anything about it.

Maybe throw a nade down you say? Sure go ahead. I just replace the trap in 2 seconds. Let's see how many nades you have. Also at best instantly after a nade 2 marine comes down. You really think that's a good idea to go down with 2 marines to the darkness guarded by 3 xenos? 1 small fuckup and you are all dead. Your best case scenario is PB a xeno down there. So what. They just walk back and heal, they got nothing to lose. On the other hand, you got 2-3 injured marine alone in the dark with no cades while multiple xenos are watching you. And God forbid they ask for xeno reinforcement or a spitter or any more powerful xeno. You simply can't do sheit against a T3 with 3 injured marines. And again, xenos are not alone. What ever you think you can do, you can't. I never ever saw a successful ladder push where borrowers were guarding the ladders.

Sometimes we even let marines come down and push a bit so what. I had traps hidden under every single object. Trust me after 5 minutes half of the squad was in serious crit, out of nades, flares, meds and zero mats for cades. So again, going down was a straight up suicide...

...and that's why I liked it as a marine. No cade hugging. Do or die. You go down and push. You lose a few marines instantly, but that rare occasion when a handful of marine can flank and push in the hive destroying their confidence and morale and winning the rounds worth it all too much.

Bring back Ice!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ice has serious flaws, and yet there's definitely many ways to "fix" Ice. Remove underground, remove ladders, add stairs, expand/rework surface yadda yadda. We've had 3-4 mappers try reworking Ice and they all either burned out over it or stopped caring.

Ice has quite literally not been updated for 2 years because every update for it ended up getting trashed for one reason or another (and here's been at least 4 attempts at it during my time as dev). Like, like it literally became a myth on the team that anyone who tried to update Ice would mysteriously disappear from the team.

We're not going to keep a map in rotation that this badly needs an update, when we don't see anyone willing to do the work.

So if you want Ice back in rotation, learn how to map and get cranking.