Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tech webs is a good idea,

18 34.62%
  • Tech webs is a bad idea,

23 44.23%
  • I'll play more after tech webs.

12 23.08%
  • Tech webs is going to make me leave the community.

9 17.31%
  • Balance over features

14 26.92%
  • Features over balance

25 48.08%
  • We should pursue MOBA ideas

8 15.38%
  • We should not attempt to be a MOBA

26 50.00%
  • Roleplay over mechanics

24 46.15%
  • Mechanics over roleplay

17 32.69%
  • Everything past perma-nest has been a bad idea

6 11.54%
  • Everything past perma-nest has been a good idea

5 9.62%
  • Some ideas past perma-nest has been a good idea

25 48.08%
  • I am seriously troubled the direction the game is taking

24 46.15%
  • I wholeheartedly love the direction the game is going

8 15.38%
  • the game will be fine any way the game is taken

8 15.38%
  • Gun play needs improvement

32 61.54%
  • Gun play is fine the way it is

9 17.31%
  • xenos is now boring

12 23.08%
  • xenos is enjoyable

25 48.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Poll on current dev architecture & mainstream ideas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post A Poll on current dev architecture & mainstream ideas

I am curious about how people feel about things, so here we are.

This shall run up to new year's eve. So count this as the final community feelings for 2020
    Last edited by Warfan1815; 12-20-2020 at 06:00 AM.
    "Come on chaps! Why just dust off the OB flames it'll create. Nothing the USCM can't handle!"
    Currently playing as a sublimely gentlemanly British chap: Warris 'Haig' Fernsby

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's start with the most basic thing.

A Dev who is incharge with the direction of the game should be all encompassing to cover all aspects and interests of the game.

Dev Architects such as Fourkhan who has openly stated they don't like Roleplay, actively mock RP and only add content that purely interest them should not have ANYTHING to do with the position of Dev Architect.

ie; rp.PNG

This applies to other aspects of the game as well, no one should be deciding the future of the game who have an active dislike or disdain for important elements of the game.

I can't believe I even have to state this, but the fundamental flaw before anything related to development is the wrong people being incharge of the games direction.
    Last edited by Fewher; 12-20-2020 at 05:57 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    please try to keep this post civil in your discourse. By the way, I don't want any "you're shit" or something like that. Feel free however to say what you want to say
    "Come on chaps! Why just dust off the OB flames it'll create. Nothing the USCM can't handle!"
    Currently playing as a sublimely gentlemanly British chap: Warris 'Haig' Fernsby

Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The options are too limiting and too broad at the same time. Nice going.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnedSweetPotato View Post
    i was roleplaying as a spec ops sangheili

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post
    Let's start with the most basic thing.

A Dev who is incharge with the direction of the game should be all encompassing to cover all aspects and interests of the game.

Dev Architects such as Fourkhan who has openly stated they don't like Roleplay, actively mock RP and only add content that purely interest them should not have ANYTHING to do with the position of Dev Architect.

ie; rp.PNG

This applies to other aspects of the game as well, no one should be deciding the future of the game who have an active dislike or disdain for important elements of the game.

I can't believe I even have to state this, but the fundamental flaw before anything related to development is the wrong people being incharge of the games direction.
    khan just doesent like static forced RP like the horrible "unknown contact" rules we used to have, and most players don't like that either. Its not "realistic" or "immersive" to have to play out seeing a red dog for the 2000th time, or getting in OOC shit for doing a conga line or saying the wrong word, even though if you really wanted to get "realistic" about it. The Almayer is a ship full of opiate addicted space marines who fight against terrifying space monsters, have no fear of injury or even death considering anything short of a decapitation can be healed with future science, do you think in a context like that soldiers would act like totally sane human beings. Probably not, infact they probably signed up because they just wanna kill space monsters and not give a fuck about the consequences, sorta like how most CM players don't give a fuck for RP and just wanna pewpew with their homies.

RP isn't being killed by the devs, infact they've only added more fluff items and 'hooks' for players to use in their own RP engagements, emergent storytelling comes from players interacting with eachover on their own regard and creating adventure, not having OOC laws on saluting and making everyone act out the same scripted sequence. What do you want the devs to do for RP on CM? Every good RPer i've known, not just on CM but in SS13 in general doesen't need the game to tailor around them, you make your own fun, have decent improv and a willingness to interact with other players. The latter is especially important, if I got a cent for the amount of self proclaimed "high roleplay officer" types who are just completely incapable of improvising anything outside their very narrow view of what "fits in CM" then I dunno I could probably buy myself a burger or something. RP is something that should be something thats player controlled and driven, i've always been a big proponent that the culture of the playerbase is the culture of the server and if most players wanna just shoot xenos then thats fine. Hell I'm basically a "RP main" at this point as in I don't engage in CM's tdm gameplay loop at all and do my own adventures on the ship, and i've only ever felt impeded by OOC restrictions and staffside railroading not "devs who don't care about RP". The devs adding a booze-o-mat to the CIC which let us set up a bar outside the Almayer the other day, lead to a fun RP situation that got half a dozen players involved in making something cool and having fun, which is what RP is all about innit. What kind of features would you want the devs to work on to bring CM's rp standard closer to your vision? If I can play CM completely counter to how the devs intend CM to be played, and still have engaging, hilarious and memorable RP moments then I really cannot see how the issue lies with them.

If anything people don't wanna RP on CM because they don't wanna get banned over a literal victimless crime, do you want me to start listing off the top of my head the stupid and hypocritical RP related boinks i've experienced and others I know? I feel like a broken record ere but if staff loosened up a little and started embracing then more people might start trying to interact with eachover beyond IC shitposting and calling MP's crin- dumb. I also think it'd make their jobs easier if they didn't need to police 200 players so carefully.

Also im sure you have the connections and sway to start your own roleplay focused CM, which would fit more for a lowpop environment anyway, why not just go start a downstream instead of complaining about devs for 14 forum posts and a reddit alt later
    Last edited by Dreven; 12-20-2020 at 07:33 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreven View Post
    With all due respect, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about when it comes to developing a game or enforcing rules.
    You're essentially trying to tell someone who created the foundations of CM, maintained a higher level of RP and saw a significant growth of the game over four years that the way we ran things were incorrect based upon nothing but your opinion which holds no merit. The argument that RP elements of a game aren't created or developed by a team is simply unfounded and unbased as we successfully ran higher levels of roleplay for YEARS based upon our development and enforcement.

I'm just not interested in responding to you beyond that as I'm not going to convince you of your wrongs and I mean that in the most respectful non-offensive way possible.

The conversation in question is regarding Dev Architects in general though and not my opinion of the level of Roleplay.
    I think it's perfectly fair to question why someone incharge of the direction of the game actively opposes an element of the game that matters to the playerbase.
    Last edited by Fewher; 12-20-2020 at 07:38 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post
    I'm just not interested in responding to you beyond that as I'm not going to convince you of your wrongs and I mean that in the most respectful non-offensive way possible.
    Then why do you keep fighting this battle when your clearly not gonna convince CM that your way is better lmao

If your RP standards were so high then why did we get rid of the stale ass contact rules which was the foundation of that era of CM RP, no one liked it, and people who did like it certainly didn't after the 74th time. You used to ban people for deploying with too many revolvers in their bag because it wasn't your idea of realistic, delimb them for dabbing, had entire rounds that just revolved around making the preds get the biggest power fantasy possible. Ask yourself if your standards fulfilled the communities need for RP or just your own?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreven View Post
    Then why do you keep fighting this battle when your clearly not gonna convince CM that your way is better lmao

If your RP standards were so high then why did we get rid of the stale ass contact rules which was the foundation of that era of CM RP, no one liked it, and people who did like it certainly didn't after the 74th time. You used to ban people for deploying with too many revolvers in their bag because it wasn't your idea of realistic, delimb them for dabbing, had entire rounds that just revolved around making the preds get the biggest power fantasy possible. Ask yourself if your standards fulfilled the communities need for RP or just your own?
    I think you're off-track and your dislike for me is swaying the primary conversation to the point you're ignoring my point regarding Dev Architects completely and your comments are simply unfounded and opinions with no backing other than hearsay.

I'm not a mod, but let's stay on conversation and potentially acknowledge my point being; Why are there dev architects incharge of the game direction who actively oppose and dislike important elements of the game?
    To clarify, this isn't about Roleplay standards or the level of RP. If the person in-charge of the direction of the game opposed combat and action mechanics I'd make the same comment.
    Last edited by Fewher; 12-20-2020 at 08:04 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, the 238975461234981715th thread that evolves into someone whining about RP.

Guys, we have open source now, just make a server yourself and make it HRP. Why do you keep complaining and stressing over CM? Be like me and just play other servers/games if you're getting bored/tired of CM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with all due respect, I don't like CM that much but there's really nothing like CM. TGMC may look similar but they're very very different.