Byond ID?
    Podrick Equus

CM Character?
    Sergio "Bucket" Burkett

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    UTC−06:00

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    30+

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    Not particularly

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    Goonstation

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    N/A

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    Technically not staff, but I'm a Mentor and whitelisted Head of Security on Goonstation

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    I've never been banned anywhere

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Sure am!

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    I ask the player in question what their intentions were, to see if it was intentional or an accident. If it turns out to be intentional, and if they have no prior griefing history, I would ask them sternly not to do it again and apply a note to their ckey. If they have prior griefing history, I would apply a ban based upon their history, possibly after coordinating with other moderators on an applicable punishment.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    I ask the player for details on what the predator did and check logs to see if they match up. I also message the predator to get their side of the story as well. Should the predator be at fault, I... honestly I'm not sure what the punishment for that is, but I'd ask other moderators for help determining what to do from there.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    I check to see if a SEA is around and notify them of the potential new player. If there isn't one available, I'd go out of my way to help them learn the ropes myself.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    I'm not too familiar with the admin hierarchy here on CM, though I'd ask the player if they have read Rule 0.2. If they continue to argue, I'd tell them to make a staff complaint on the forums regarding the matter. If this isn't normal procedure, please correct me.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    Though in my personal opinion, the name "John Doe" holds no significance and is a fairly unassuming name, it did belong to a real, somewhat well known person, thus making it a violation of Rule 12. I would PM John Doe and tell him of this, and ask him what name he'd like his character to be instead.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    If I see this happen IC, I'd ask them what they're doing with that equipment, and should they not want to return it, I'd go notify the MPs. If I see this happen while observing, I'd subtly give the MPs a hint that the MT is carrying things they shouldn't be carrying.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    I PM the marine that I'll take care of it, and to sit tight for a minute. I ask the survivor if they'd read the Server Rules, specifically the part that states that survivors are not allowed to be hostile to marines. If they apologize, I apply a note to their account and let them continue as normal. If they refuse to comply, I apply a ban instead. If the dead marine isn't able to be revived by a medic, I aheal them.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    I tell the player I'll look into it. I message the MP asking for their side of the story, possibly checking chat logs to see if the story lines up. If its a misunderstanding, I inform the MP to instead apply the punishment for Trespassing and Theft. If the MP is abusing their power, I apply a note and an appropriate ban to them, then release the permabrigged player. In my eyes, Security roles should be held to a higher standard than most other jobs.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    Personally, I'd try to inform both sides that if they don't finish the round soon, a dea-
    [QUEEN MOTHER PSYCHIC COMMAND]
    Hurry sisters, I have sensed an incoming bird containing extremely dangerous hosts. It will arrive in X minutes. You must take the skyhive quickly, otherwise I fear the worst.

...And as for what I'd send the marines, since I don't have ARES... I guess I'd just inform them in MOOC that they have X amount of time to complete the operation before Fun Times begin.

This allows dead players something to do (ERT) while they're waiting for the next round to start.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    I try to confirm with them to see they're doing this on purpose, and gauge their response. If they seem to be doing it on purpose, I admin PM them and ask them if they've read the Server Rules, specifically Rule 4. If they say they have, I inform them that they knowingly broke the rules and apply an appropriate punishment based upon their history. If they say they haven't, I tell them that its required to read the Server Rules and I still apply an appropriate punishment based upon their history.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    I inform the CLF member that EORG does not apply to factions that are normally hostile to one another. If they continue to complain, I tell them again they can't be griefed by hostile factions and ignore further complaints.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    I inform the victim that I'll look into it. I PM the offending marine, asking them if they've read the Server Rules, specifically Rule 4. Should they have no prior griefing history, I tell them to knock it off and apply a note to their account. If they have done this before, I apply an appropriate ban based upon their history.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    I ask the offending marine why a punch warranted murder as a response. Regardless of their answer, I tell them that what they did was against the rules, specifically Rule 14. If they have no griefing history, I apply a note, and maybe a ban if they're being a jerk about it. If they have prior history, I apply an appropriate ban.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    I inform the marines in MOOC that all mutinies need to be ahelped, and try to organize it into an actual mutiny as best I can. Truthfully, I haven't participated in mutinies very much so I don't know the proper procedure with them.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    I talk in MOOC telling people that racism is forbidden, and that further racist comments, no matter how small, will be met with harshly. It is my opinion that allowing racist and "almost racist" words simply lets undesirables hurt and insult the good folks of CM13 by treading the line. There is nothing funny about racism. Responses such as "but I didn't use a hard R" should be treated just the same as saying the full N word. Other situations such as PMCs talking about killing non-white troops also isn't funny. This is the one thing that I take personally.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    I permaban the offending marine. They clearly had no intention of ever following the rules, so should they have a change of heart later, I want to hear about it through a ban appeal on the forums. I may also adminheal any marines depending upon the situation.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    I PM the player asking them what they were doing to gauge their response. I apply a note based upon their response, and also apply a short ban for suicide/griefing.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    I (am beginning to sound like a broken record) PM the player asking them if they've read the server rules, specifically the Xenos section under Rule 2. I also inform them that LRP phrases aren't allowed. If they apologize, I let it slide. If they continue to behave this way, I apply a note to their account, and have the QM say that she will not tolerate insolence from a sister that insults their Queen and banish that xenomorph.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    This one is pretty tricky. Its toeing the line, for sure. I think I'd offer a gentle reminder to the player that said "dropship" to use the xeno slang instead, and that they are not in trouble.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    I tell the marine that I'll take care of it. I inform the command staff member that they aren't allowed to know what's on the planet beforehand, and should they apologize, I let it slide.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    My interpretation is that though Rule 14: Lethal Force technically allows this, since it was a "legitimate, explainable roleplay reason", Rule 4: No Griefing still takes precedence over it. Though we are attempting to roleplay realistic characters, at the end of the day we are still playing a game for fun. Murdering another player just so you can evacuate instead of them nets a worse emotional response for the victim than if they had died anywhere else leading up to that point, and may result in them permanently leaving the server if actions like this are allowed. It is my belief that we shouldn't allow behaviors that could lead to situations like this, since we're all just here to have fun.

Of course, if there is other staff on I would ask them for advice, but my above answer assumes that nobody else is on for me to consult.

I'm interested in learning what the proper way to handle this is.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    I inform them that if they really want to complain properly, then to make a complaint on the forums about me. I also tell them that insulting staff who are trying to help them is an unwise move.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    Not sure what the proper procedure for this is.

I'd try to figure out what circumstances were surrounding the player. Were they on the front lines with the rest of the marines? Pushing alone? Either way, I'd try to console them and say that stuff like this happens sometimes, and I may provide them (without telling them directly) a minor boon to help them get to safety to get the larva removed IC, but only if it wouldn't negatively affect other players.

My thought process is that I want to try and turn an unfortunate experience into a memorable one, thus making the player happy and providing them with a fun story to share in the future.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I would privately message that staff member and ask them if they're sure they handled an adminhelp correctly. I would also explain my thoughts on the matter, and should they reply with hostility towards me I would ~~question why they are a staff member in the first place~~ er, I mean inform another, higher ranked member of staff about the situation.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    Personally this is why I disagree with the ticket system. Staff members should internally form a consensus on how to handle a situation, with the majority vote determining how an adminhelp is handled.

But to answer the question, I would report the situation to a higher member of staff, explaining that I believed the banning admin to have acted hastily and without properly consulting their fellow staff before issuing a ban. Even if they were correct in banning that player, its important that everyone is on the same page before a player is banned, warned, etc.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    Because I really like this server, and I want to see it become a better place.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Patience.

Anything else you
    "Anything else you"
    I think you accidentally a word.

Despite me living in the UTC-6 time zone, I often stay up to the unholy hours of the morning and play during those periods.

Personally I do not like the ticket system, as I'm used to all mentorhelps on Goonstation being open for any mentor/admin to respond to (adminhelps also work this way). That way, any staff member can freely add on to or correct any response by another staff member should they have additional information relevant to the player.

Also full disclosure: I have no idea what powers Moderators get, so some of my answers may not be possible because I incorrectly assumed that I would have a certain power.
    Last edited by Podrick Equus; 12-31-2020 at 07:14 PM. Reason: typo

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    I ask the player in question what their intentions were, to see if it was intentional or an accident. If it turns out to be intentional, and if they have no prior griefing history, I would ask them sternly not to do it again and apply a note to their ckey. If they have prior griefing history, I would apply a ban based upon their history, possibly after coordinating with other moderators on an applicable punishment.
    Would you not investigate whether or not the player had a reason to shoot the Marine after the MPs detained him? Would you aheal the affected player? Other than that, it's a good answer nonetheless. While it's not neccessarily required for you to coordinate a punishment with Moderators, it sure can serve as a good guidance especially for newer Moderators to get a grasp of what punishmen to apply.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    I ask the player for details on what the predator did and check logs to see if they match up. I also message the predator to get their side of the story as well. Should the predator be at fault, I... honestly I'm not sure what the punishment for that is, but I'd ask other moderators for help determining what to do from there.
    Unless the Predator is mass griefing other players, we never give out any punishments to whitelisted players. This includes Synthetics and COs as well. If a player feels like a whitelisted player has violated the rules, they need to make a player report on them for the Whitelist Council to take care of, it's none of our business.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    I check to see if a SEA is around and notify them of the potential new player. If there isn't one available, I'd go out of my way to help them learn the ropes myself.
    Good answer. You have access to become a SEA yourself as a Full Moderator. Alternatively, you can ask Mentors in an Mhelp if they wish to give the new guy some guidance.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    I'm not too familiar with the admin hierarchy here on CM, though I'd ask the player if they have read Rule 0.2. If they continue to argue, I'd tell them to make a staff complaint on the forums regarding the matter. If this isn't normal procedure, please correct me.
    Rule 0.2 allows us to basically "shut down" argumentative players. It's not your job to take profanity or complaints from someone as you go, meaning if they keep stirring stuff up even though you laid out your punishment, you may even go as far as banning them as per Escalation (though usually 3 hours for something like that).

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    Though in my personal opinion, the name "John Doe" holds no significance and is a fairly unassuming name, it did belong to a real, somewhat well known person, thus making it a violation of Rule 12. I would PM John Doe and tell him of this, and ask him what name he'd like his character to be instead.
    Good answer. You can either tell them to change the name next round, or, as you stated, have them change the name right then and there if they give you an alternative. Also make sure to note it on their account, especially if the player is seemingly not new to our server.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    If I see this happen IC, I'd ask them what they're doing with that equipment, and should they not want to return it, I'd go notify the MPs. If I see this happen while observing, I'd subtly give the MPs a hint that the MT is carrying things they shouldn't be carrying.
    While this is okay of an answer, it should be noted that players occupying limited job roles only to repeatedly cause issues can escalate into it requiring staff intervention. If they do it once or twice, no problem, have the MTs handle it. Though if it's reportedly happening more frequently, it should be looked into, as Roleplay Standards Rule 2 regulate how players are meant to act out their jobs.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    I PM the marine that I'll take care of it, and to sit tight for a minute. I ask the survivor if they'd read the Server Rules, specifically the part that states that survivors are not allowed to be hostile to marines. If they apologize, I apply a note to their account and let them continue as normal. If they refuse to comply, I apply a ban instead. If the dead marine isn't able to be revived by a medic, I aheal them.
    On CM, we follow a set of ban procedures dictating our next move when it comes to applying punishments to players. If the survivor has no prior history of doing something like this, you may just leave it with a warning and note. However, if there is an extensive record of this present on their notes, you may need to apply a Survivor ban and/or server ban as needed.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    I tell the player I'll look into it. I message the MP asking for their side of the story, possibly checking chat logs to see if the story lines up. If its a misunderstanding, I inform the MP to instead apply the punishment for Trespassing and Theft. If the MP is abusing their power, I apply a note and an appropriate ban to them, then release the permabrigged player. In my eyes, Security roles should be held to a higher standard than most other jobs.
    Perfect answer. MPs are required to follow Marine Law to the dot. Sometimes, this isn't always possible due to dynamic server happenings, though they should always attempt their best to stay true to what's written in SOP and Marine Law. If MPs breach it, at first instance, a warning suffices. If it repeats, you may need to job ban them.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    Personally, I'd try to inform both sides that if they don't finish the round soon, a dea-
    [QUEEN MOTHER PSYCHIC COMMAND]
    Hurry sisters, I have sensed an incoming bird containing extremely dangerous hosts. It will arrive in X minutes. You must take the skyhive quickly, otherwise I fear the worst.

...And as for what I'd send the marines, since I don't have ARES... I guess I'd just inform them in MOOC that they have X amount of time to complete the operation before Fun Times begin.

This allows dead players something to do (ERT) while they're waiting for the next round to start.
    I think you have a slight hiccup here, though it's understood since you can't possibly know all the possibilities you have as a Trial Moderator.

Using Queen Mother to get Xenos off their asses is good. As for Marines, you can always subtle message the Commander/Captain of the Operation and give him a hint to kickstart them into finishing the round.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    I try to confirm with them to see they're doing this on purpose, and gauge their response. If they seem to be doing it on purpose, I admin PM them and ask them if they've read the Server Rules, specifically Rule 4. If they say they have, I inform them that they knowingly broke the rules and apply an appropriate punishment based upon their history. If they say they haven't, I tell them that its required to read the Server Rules and I still apply an appropriate punishment based upon their history.
    While you're describing how you'd investigate the situation - and it being a good answer in itself - do not ever act on rule breaks that happen before you and that you are directly involved in. You always Ahelp or ask in Msay for another staff members assistance to take care of this, or if none are present on the server, alert someone in the Staff Discord.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    I inform the CLF member that EORG does not apply to factions that are normally hostile to one another. If they continue to complain, I tell them again they can't be griefed by hostile factions and ignore further complaints.
    Good answer, nothing to add here.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    I inform the victim that I'll look into it. I PM the offending marine, asking them if they've read the Server Rules, specifically Rule 4. Should they have no prior griefing history, I tell them to knock it off and apply a note to their account. If they have done this before, I apply an appropriate ban based upon their history.
    Good. Keep in mind this rule is rather on a case by case basis and depends on the scale of what the Marine has actually done. Disarming their friends or other Marines two, three times or have a small scuffle is nothing serious, though actively trying to sabotage the early round deployment by for example causing massive fights with Marines/MPs or stealing large quantities of equipment are definitely punishable.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    I ask the offending marine why a punch warranted murder as a response. Regardless of their answer, I tell them that what they did was against the rules, specifically Rule 14. If they have no griefing history, I apply a note, and maybe a ban if they're being a jerk about it. If they have prior history, I apply an appropriate ban.
    Good approach. Though, what else do you do? Do you think you forgot something here?

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    I inform the marines in MOOC that all mutinies need to be ahelped, and try to organize it into an actual mutiny as best I can. Truthfully, I haven't participated in mutinies very much so I don't know the proper procedure with them.
    I understand that this is tricky for someone who isn't very familiar with how we handle Mutinies. An illegal mutiny and one that wasn't ahelped is automatically void, especially if there is no good reason for one. It's up to you to decide whether or not you only talk to the instigator of said illegal mutiny, or if you investigate everyone involved as well, also in regards to punishment. If it's too large scale, ask another staff member for help.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    I talk in MOOC telling people that racism is forbidden, and that further racist comments, no matter how small, will be met with harshly. It is my opinion that allowing racist and "almost racist" words simply lets undesirables hurt and insult the good folks of CM13 by treading the line. There is nothing funny about racism. Responses such as "but I didn't use a hard R" should be treated just the same as saying the full N word. Other situations such as PMCs talking about killing non-white troops also isn't funny. This is the one thing that I take personally.
    Good. Racism is entirely banned as per our Rule 3 clarification. Though we differentiate between direct racist commentary and indirect insults. Someone saying "retarded" in a way that tries to convey a different meaning for "this is stupid" is allowed, while actually bashing against mental disabilities should be considered to be looked into. F-bombs, N-bombs are all not allowed and must be taken care of.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    I permaban the offending marine. They clearly had no intention of ever following the rules, so should they have a change of heart later, I want to hear about it through a ban appeal on the forums. I may also adminheal any marines depending upon the situation.
    Moderators, especially not Trial Moderators, are able to perma ban someone. You can't know this as you aren't trusted with our internal ban procedures, so I'm just rectifying it here. The most you can do is apply a 7 day ban or, with permission, a month ban, then filing for permanent which needs to be taken care of Admin+ and higher.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    I PM the player asking them what they were doing to gauge their response. I apply a note based upon their response, and also apply a short ban for suicide/griefing.
    You don't need to ban someone for suiciding as a larva, especially not if they have no prior history of doing so. Sometimes players get confused in the heat of battle, their internet lags out or something else unexpected happened and they end up getting themselves killed. If they did it outright and it's obvious grief with no notes? Note it and warn them heavily to not do it again. If it happens repeatedly? Xeno ban.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    I (am beginning to sound like a broken record) PM the player asking them if they've read the server rules, specifically the Xenos section under Rule 2. I also inform them that LRP phrases aren't allowed. If they apologize, I let it slide. If they continue to behave this way, I apply a note to their account, and have the QM say that she will not tolerate insolence from a sister that insults their Queen and banish that xenomorph.
    As Queen Mother, you have no mechanical ability to banish someone. You can, however, order the Queen to banish a certain Xeno or in extreme cases, just outright kill them via the Player Panel as an ultimate resort if they don't listen. Though this usually never happens, as we leave things such as Xenos doing LRP things by handling them OOC.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    This one is pretty tricky. Its toeing the line, for sure. I think I'd offer a gentle reminder to the player that said "dropship" to use the xeno slang instead, and that they are not in trouble.
    You don't need to intervene here. It's written in the rules that words such as "dropship" or "human, marine" etc. are valid because Hivemind is nothing other than an English translation of their thoughts.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    I tell the marine that I'll take care of it. I inform the command staff member that they aren't allowed to know what's on the planet beforehand, and should they apologize, I let it slide.
    Note it as well. It's very important to keep records of something as miniscule as this. You never know if it was a one time accident, or a hidden repeat offender in the making. Keeping notes is a tool for us to preserve past incidents with a player, and this needs to be noted, even if they apologized. You may add it into their note though that they did.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    My interpretation is that though Rule 14: Lethal Force technically allows this, since it was a "legitimate, explainable roleplay reason", Rule 4: No Griefing still takes precedence over it. Though we are attempting to roleplay realistic characters, at the end of the day we are still playing a game for fun. Murdering another player just so you can evacuate instead of them nets a worse emotional response for the victim than if they had died anywhere else leading up to that point, and may result in them permanently leaving the server if actions like this are allowed. It is my belief that we shouldn't allow behaviors that could lead to situations like this, since we're all just here to have fun.

Of course, if there is other staff on I would ask them for advice, but my above answer assumes that nobody else is on for me to consult.

I'm interested in learning what the proper way to handle this is.
    Those are edge cases handled on a case by case basis. You're simply unable to handle a dynamic case with so many things factoring into it like you're working on a conveyor belt. It needs to be reviewed, and if it was properly roleplayed, there is no issue with letting it slide ICly. However, if they just straight up shoot people without even trying to interact with anyone, it's considered Griefing, as no prior RP happened.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    I inform them that if they really want to complain properly, then to make a complaint on the forums about me. I also tell them that insulting staff who are trying to help them is an unwise move.
    Going back to Rule 0.2 here, a player shouldn't complain to you about what they think you did wrong on the server. Your answer in that aspect is good, though remind them if they keep complaining, they may be booted off the server for it.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    Not sure what the proper procedure for this is.

I'd try to figure out what circumstances were surrounding the player. Were they on the front lines with the rest of the marines? Pushing alone? Either way, I'd try to console them and say that stuff like this happens sometimes, and I may provide them (without telling them directly) a minor boon to help them get to safety to get the larva removed IC, but only if it wouldn't negatively affect other players.

My thought process is that I want to try and turn an unfortunate experience into a memorable one, thus making the player happy and providing them with a fun story to share in the future.
    Short and to the point, you don't. It's unlucky and unfortunate, though we don't remove players infections or aheal them just because their internet lagged or the power went out. It's just how we do things and because we can't safely verify if what they say is true to gain an advantage.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I would privately message that staff member and ask them if they're sure they handled an adminhelp correctly. I would also explain my thoughts on the matter, and should they reply with hostility towards me I would ~~question why they are a staff member in the first place~~ er, I mean inform another, higher ranked member of staff about the situation.
    Correcting a staff member in Msay or through PMs is fine and happens from time to time. We're all just humans after all in a 2D spaceman game and tend to get things wrong every now and then. If it happens, you can do so via Msay or PMs. If the staff member doesn't will to accept the rectified information or even becomes argumentative, you bring it to the Mod Manager.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    Personally this is why I disagree with the ticket system. Staff members should internally form a consensus on how to handle a situation, with the majority vote determining how an adminhelp is handled.

But to answer the question, I would report the situation to a higher member of staff, explaining that I believed the banning admin to have acted hastily and without properly consulting their fellow staff before issuing a ban. Even if they were correct in banning that player, its important that everyone is on the same page before a player is banned, warned, etc.
    The reason we have a ticket system is to keep things orderly and organised. Multiple staff members being able to PM a player at the same time may cause confusion and elicit a sense of discomfort for the player when many members of staff give varying responses. This is why we have one staff member deal with an Ahelp through Marking, and if anything turns out to have some loose ends with how a staff member did something, you can always report it to the Mod Manager in a worst case or stay out of it and see if it resolves itself.

Also full disclosure: I have no idea what powers Moderators get, so some of my answers may not be possible because I incorrectly assumed that I would have a certain power.
    You don't have to worry about that, if accepted, you'll go through a Trainer Program in which you will learn everything required to become a good Moderator.

My conclusion so far: You have a moderately good understanding of our rules, though you do have a few hiccups here and there that give me a feeling of you not having properly read through previous accepted applications. CMs rules are, frankly put, a lot more concise and to the point as with most other Space Station servers, so reading into them and other peoples applications isn't neccessarily difficult or time consuming.

Before I give you my final verdict, here are 3 questions for you.

1. A Doctor deploys to the planet. After some time, an Ahelp comes in informing you of the Doctor running around with a rifle actively seeking combat with the Xenos. When you confront the Doctor, he tells you that he was asked by squad medics to assist in retrieving injured Marines. What do you do?

2. It's Delta Alert. MPs just recently caught and imprisoned a Marine wanted for murdering the Mess Sergeant. Just as you were about to ask for permission to have the prisoner executed, thet Xenos come crashing in and all hell breaks loose. The MPs then simply execute him on the spot, without consulting anyone. Is this allowed? What do you here?

3. A player istasked with building the FOB. Suddenly, another player comes along, beginning to dismantle all his walls and in the process, stealing the materials and running off into the distance. The player in question is an MT in armor and with a gun and gets ahelped. What do you do?
    Last edited by Pfanner; 12-31-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfanner View Post
    Good approach. Though, what else do you do? Do you think you forgot something here?
    I believe that I neglected to make it right with the player who was murdered. I should revive them.

My conclusion so far: You have a moderately good understanding of our rules, though you do have a few hiccups here and there that give me a feeling of you not having properly read through previous accepted applications. CMs rules are, frankly put, a lot more concise and to the point as with most other Space Station servers, so reading into them and other peoples applications isn't neccessarily difficult or time consuming.
    I had not actually read through any previously accepted applications. In hindsight this wasn't a good idea. I had wanted to write my own application based upon my current knowledge of server rules, though I now realize that its important to do research so I don't make erroneous responses like those you had pointed out.

Before I give you my final verdict, here are 3 questions for you.

1. A Doctor deploys to the planet. After some time, an Ahelp comes in informing you of the Doctor running around with a rifle actively seeking combat with the Xenos. When you confront the Doctor, he tells you that he was asked by squad medics to assist in retrieving injured Marines. What do you do?
    According to Rule 2, a doctor is not supposed to go fight on the front lines. I would tell the doctor that, though it is permitted for them to have a weapon when deployed to the field, it should only be used in defense of themselves and any patients that they are treating. Furthermore, they should leave the "Retrieving injured marines" part to the rest of the marines, as they are much better equipped to rescue them than the doctor is. I would warn them to refrain from putting themselves in danger just to rescue people, because a dead doctor can't heal anybody. I may also apply a note if they refuse to comply. I'm fairly certain that a ban wouldn't be warranted in this case.

2. It's Delta Alert. MPs just recently caught and imprisoned a Marine wanted for murdering the Mess Sergeant. Just as you were about to ask for permission to have the prisoner executed, thet Xenos come crashing in and all hell breaks loose. The MPs then simply execute him on the spot, without consulting anyone. Is this allowed? What do you here?
    It is not allowed, because the Captain or both Commander and Chief MP must always authorize the execution, and must also be present at the execution, regardless of circumstances. Delta Alert waives the requirement that a shipwide announcement be made, but it still does not allow a lone MP to execute someone. I would have a talking to with the MP player, and try to get them to understand that Marine Law needs to be followed, even during emergencies. I don't believe a ban is needed, though. Just a warning should suffice. As for the player who was executed, I believe that it is correct for me to revive them(as per Rule 4), and to tell them that I've talked to the MP about it.

3. A player istasked with building the FOB. Suddenly, another player comes along, beginning to dismantle all his walls and in the process, stealing the materials and running off into the distance. The player in question is an MT in armor and with a gun and gets ahelped. What do you do?
    Though a Maintenance Technician holds authority over Squad Engineers, this MT clearly doesn't pay any mind to procedure at all. I would PM them asking why they think its okay to grief the FOB builder and to behave unrealistically as an MT. I try to convince them to help repair the damage they've done, and to give back the materials they stole. If they do this, I would leave them with a warning. If they don't, a note and ban may be warranted based upon their previous history. In regards to them having a gun and armor, I believe that they're not allowed to have those outside of the purposes of self defense. Still, they shouldn't be running off and leaving the FOB at all, much less leaving alone or to go to the front lines. I couldn't find any specific rule against them having armor and weapons, but I may have overlooked one. I would also make things right with the FOB builder who had their materials stolen, whether through the materials being returned, or new walls be spawned, or some other method depending upon the circumstances.

--

Thanks for your time, Pfanner.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that I neglected to make it right with the player who was murdered. I should revive them.
    Exactly, perfect. Unless a doctor is there right away to basically take care of them, you may give them an aheal to speed things up.

I had not actually read through any previously accepted applications. In hindsight this wasn't a good idea. I had wanted to write my own application based upon my current knowledge of server rules, though I now realize that its important to do research so I don't make erroneous responses like those you had pointed out.
    I endorse the fact that you've tried putting that much effort into the application just by using the knowledge you had already been aware of, though it's always recommended to look at other accepted applications and what current staff members had to say on them. I won't count this as a negative, as I personally admire people who try to basically spearhead themselves through the questions without any prior "cheatsheeting", though it's still recommended.

According to Rule 2, a doctor is not supposed to go fight on the front lines. I would tell the doctor that, though it is permitted for them to have a weapon when deployed to the field, it should only be used in defense of themselves and any patients that they are treating. Furthermore, they should leave the "Retrieving injured marines" part to the rest of the marines, as they are much better equipped to rescue them than the doctor is. I would warn them to refrain from putting themselves in danger just to rescue people, because a dead doctor can't heal anybody. I may also apply a note if they refuse to comply. I'm fairly certain that a ban wouldn't be warranted in this case.
    Good. A Doctor should never leave the FOB unless they have an armed escort and the CMO allows it, and even then, it's usually just for forward surgery, though not too far away from the FOB. We've had an edge case just yesterday of a Doctor being quite near the frontline conducting surgery. While this is usually frowned upon and begins to be borderlining the edge of Rule 2, as long as they are covered by Marines, for the time being, they can do that. What a Doctor shouldn't definitely do is act as a Squad Medic+ and rush out into the field to retrieve bodies. They are primarily a stationary role meant to provide sophisticated medical aid in form of surgeries that is vital for Marines success. Even in this case, whether they comply or not, you always note an incident where you warn someone about something. If the Doctor does this repeatedly, a ban or even job bay may be in order.

It is not allowed, because the Captain or both Commander and Chief MP must always authorize the execution, and must also be present at the execution, regardless of circumstances. Delta Alert waives the requirement that a shipwide announcement be made, but it still does not allow a lone MP to execute someone. I would have a talking to with the MP player, and try to get them to understand that Marine Law needs to be followed, even during emergencies. I don't believe a ban is needed, though. Just a warning should suffice. As for the player who was executed, I believe that it is correct for me to revive them(as per Rule 4), and to tell them that I've talked to the MP about it.
    That is also correct. While I'm a tad uncertain myself right now in regards to "The Captain or CMP and Commander have to be present" during Delta Alert when there is no other way because of, for example, Xenos cutting them off and requesting permission through the radio, the common and mandatory way of how things go is that either the Captain or the aCO and CMP have to be present for the execution. When things have to go fast, we sometimes allow them to basically execute them right then and there provided one of the two Command elements are present to give them a chance, though you pretty much hit the nail on the head, that's how we handle it.

Remember again to note the MP if you warned them. One or two minor violations of Marine Law don't require immediate action other than a verbal warning, though massive breaches like not following Execution guidelines or false charges without much evidence that seems arbitrary on top could require intervention in form of bans or job bans if it becomes a repeat issue.

Though a Maintenance Technician holds authority over Squad Engineers, this MT clearly doesn't pay any mind to procedure at all. I would PM them asking why they think its okay to grief the FOB builder and to behave unrealistically as an MT. I try to convince them to help repair the damage they've done, and to give back the materials they stole. If they do this, I would leave them with a warning. If they don't, a note and ban may be warranted based upon their previous history. In regards to them having a gun and armor, I believe that they're not allowed to have those outside of the purposes of self defense. Still, they shouldn't be running off and leaving the FOB at all, much less leaving alone or to go to the front lines. I couldn't find any specific rule against them having armor and weapons, but I may have overlooked one. I would also make things right with the FOB builder who had their materials stolen, whether through the materials being returned, or new walls be spawned, or some other method depending upon the circumstances.
    We've recently had a new rule clarification that states that MTs are not allowed to be near the frontlines. If anything, MTs are meant to deploy as reinforcements for Squad Engineers when the situation grows dire and they need all hands to speed up the building of fortifications. If they simply go down to the planet, steal all materials and then run off into the distance, it's a clear and outright breach of Rule 2 and must be punished following our guidelines. But you'll learn more about this if you get accepted.

Over all, I'm very satisfied with what you've given me here. I tried to make those questions a little tricky, but I can see that you definitely did your research and homework on this, and I see absolutely no problem with you getting a shot at a trial. There are a few things here and there that need to be hammered out, like your perception of how we deal with punishments and noting more than you personally think is needed, though I don't expect you to know these things, that's what the trial is for.

All in all, you get my +1 and I'd like to see you amidst our ranks soon!
    Last edited by Pfanner; 01-01-2021 at 01:09 AM.

Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your note history is amazing, you gave good answers to the initial questions as well as Pfanner's extras, and your playtime is absolutely great as well. Especially considering your note history.

Got absolutely no objections against giving you your trial. +1
    Robert 'DangerZone' Hale and the incognito legion

FA-XXX-L5 (The D-Day Drone that never wants to be a Hivelord yet always winds up as one)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solid app, decent note history, and you seem to know how to handle things. Nothing much else to say that wasn't already said. +1

Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments. Though I am a little confused when you tell me that my note history is good, when...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Podrick Equus View Post
    Thanks for your comments. Though I am a little confused when you tell me that my note history is good, when...

It's true.

Senior Admin & Training Overseer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seen you around from time to time, and you've never caused trouble that I've been aware of, Which is a good sign. I'll mirror what everyone else said when I say the answers were good too. At this point I'd say if you want a position on our team you've almost certainly earned it. +1
    SURVIVOR GANG COUNCIL MEMBER

Survivor Gang In Action:

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Accepted
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.