Byond ID?
    StephenNelson

CM Character?
    Brian Scott

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    US East

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    Standards Head of Fraternity

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    TG and Desert Rose rarely

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    CO Whitelist application on the old forum that I can't seem to find.

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    No. Was banned from headrev on TG for spacing myself when very new to SS13. - Successfully appealed.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Yes

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    Message the player in question asking them why they did what they did. As the MPs have arrested the player it is largely an IC issue. The player may be new, and god knows accidental shootings happen on CM. Check the player's note history for relevant incidents, and if it is a recurring problem consider a ban.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    Suggest that the player file a player report against the predator on the forums. If the violation is clear and egregious, message the predator asking for an explanation.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    Ideally nudge the SEA and have them show the likely new player the ropes. If no SEA is available, a mentor could be asked to help out the player. If none of the above are available, the moderator could send the player some pointers and answer questions, as long as doing so does not interfere with any more pressing concerns for the round.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Remain cordial the entire time. Suggest that the player file a staff report if they feel you have been unfair in your treatment of them. Give them the name of the mod manager and inform them they can contact them over BYOND or discord if they feel they need to. If they refuse to stop abusing ahelps after the above consider a ban.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    Message 'John Doe' and inform him that his name does not meet the naming rules for CM. If this is a first time offense for an improper name, offer to change it for them and add a single note relating to the name issue. Check notes for repeated name violations.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    Message the MT asking them why they are ignoring their shipside duties and SOP. With the new agent system in place and various other IC possibilities they may have a reason for doing what they're doing. Barring acceptable justification, ask them to stow the armor and rifle. Consider adding a minor note and check note history for similar issues.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Inform the survivor that outright physical hostility towards marines is no longer acceptable on CM. If they continue arguing link them to the rules page and specify rule 2. Add a note and check for similar issues in the past. Check to see if the dead marine will be revived and healed. If the survivor stuffed them in a locker or otherwise hid them consider an aheal.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    Message the MP and confirm that the marine is not lying, I'm sure staff on CM get their fair share of ahelps from arrested marines that do not tell the whole story. If the permanent confinement is in error, inform the MP and ask them to brig them for trespassing and theft, crediting the poisoner any time spent in the brig for the false charge. Add a note to the MP for improper procedure and check for a history of MP related issues.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    Generally a slight nudge to DEFCON 1 is enough to get the round resolved one way or another. Sending the marines an ERT is another way to break a stalemate. In my experience most stalemates unfortunately result in staff intervening on behalf of the marines, however CM mechanics make it difficult to aid the xenos directly in the event of a stalemate. Messaging the CO or sending a QM message blatantly asking for an assault from either side often results in a lot of anger, as players feel as if they are being told to essentially die. In this case of 30 to 4, a marine assault makes more sense. a forced bioscan would probably be enough to make the marines re-deploy.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Admittedly I am not sure how much leeway staff have when they are actively involved in a round, but I would assume that when you are playing the game you are unable to act as a moderator in any fashion due to the massive conflict of interest it would represent. In this case I would try to handle the issue IC, asking the medic to stop. If that fails, I would send an ahelp and let the active staff handle the issue.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    Inform the CLF member that hostile parties remain hostile towards one another after round end.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    Consider sleeping the player in question if he is still a major disruption. Message the player in question and ask him why he was doing what he was doing. If he is unable to offer a suitable justification inform him that his behavior does not meet CM RP standards and that roundstart hooliganism is against the rules of the server. Issue a stern warning for a first time offense. Add a note to the player. Check note history for similar issues and consider a ban for repeat offenses.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Inform the killer that such behavior does not meet the escalation standards for CM as specified in the rules. Issue a stern warning for first time offenses and add a note. Check note history and consider a ban for repeated escalation issues.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    Use MOOC to broadcast a message to the effect of: "There is currently no approved mutiny, would-be mutineers need to stand down." If players continue to mutiny asleeps may be used to buy time to make sure the mutineers understand that their mutiny is not approved. If players still refuse to stand down short bans can be used as a last resort. Notes would be added at this point as well. It is likely that just one or two would take it this far after the asleep and MOOC warning.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    "Racism, the use of slurs and other targeting terms or phrases is strictly forbidden and will not be tolerated." Inform the players that racism is not tolerated and tell them to cease. Short bans and notes can go out if they refuse to stop after a warning.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Ban the Ckey tied to the marine in question. They can appeal on the forums if they want to play on CM again.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Message the player asking why they did what they did. If they have no acceptable excuse, issue a warning for a first time offense, and consider a xeno ban for repeated offenses. Add a note to the account detailing the incident.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    Message the xeno player in question and ask them to stop with the memeing and LRP behavior. If they refuse to stop issue a short ban and add a note. Check note history for repeated offenses and consider a longer ban or xeno ban if LRP behavior has been a recurring issue.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    Inform the second player that the "hivemind" represents mental concepts translated to English, so calling a shuttle a dropship is actually A-Ok

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    A minor slip up like this isn't a major issue in my opinion, message the Command staff player in question and let them know that their character should have no way of knowing what threat they are facing on the planet. If they designed their entire brief around xenos issue a warning and add a note. Hopefully you catch their slip up before this point.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    This is a tricky one, as I could certainly see this occurring in the real world in such a desperate situation. Rule 14 does not forbid such an action, although it is a bit scummy. If marines are fighting over evac pods the round is almost over, and aheals and asleeps are not needed or helpful. If I observed escalation at all from the aggressor such as "GET OUT OF THE POD NOW OR I SHOOT!" I would probably let the incident slide as IC. If it was a wordless PB of a marine standing in a pod I would at the very least add a note to the murderer, and I would inform them that in the future some escalation should be used before silently removing a person from a round, even at the end. Check note history for greifing incidents and consider a ban if the player has been found to do similar actions in the past.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    As always, remain cordial. Tell them that they need to stop spamming chat, and encourage them to file a staff report against you if they feel it is necessary. If they are incessantly spamming looc and dchat a ban may be warranted, however an occasional off-comment would not warrant such an action. Rule 3 applies, but I understand that players in CM get angry. Banning over chat insults should be reserved for the worst offenders.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    Inform the SSD player that being SSD does not offer them any protection from the xenos.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    Message the staff member in question and let them know that the information was wrong, with a link to the wiki or changelog if possible. For a rule violation, ask for clarification without accusing the staff member. If blatant, message an admin or senior staff member with the details. Keep an open mind at all times, as their interpretation of the rule or understanding of the mechanics may actually be correct.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    At the end of the day, once the ban has been issued it is up to the player to file a ban appeal or staff report. If I felt that the ban was in error I would message the player in question encouraging them to file an appeal. Informing an admin or other senior staff member of the issue would also be a good idea, as they could offer a ruling that could be carried forward for other similar issues in the future. At no point would I inject myself into an argument between staff and exacerbate the situation.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    I have been playing CM for about 4 years now, and it has been my favorite SS13 server for the entirety of this time. It seems like you need Moderators at the moment, and I would be more than willing to help out if you'll have me.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Temperament - The second a moderator, or any staff member, resorts to insults or passive aggressive comments when dealing with an issue they lose a massive amount of credibility. It is important that a moderator remains objective and impartial when handling an ahelp or a developing issue within the round. This is not to say that staff shouldn't be able to joke around in general, OOC staff shenanigans remind us that the staff is, at the end of the day, still human. That being said when handling an issue professionalism goes a long way in mitigating the situation.

Anything else you
    Reading through reports and appeals on the forum is a guilty pleasure of mine, and I can't help but notice that a lot of the ambiguity could be removed if staff were recording their screens. Logs are great, but they often lack the context that a video brings. Are staff not allowed to record their screens while moderating on CM? I would likely record the rounds that I moderate if accepted and then edit the videos if needed for a report or appeal.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    Message the player in question asking them why they did what they did. As the MPs have arrested the player it is largely an IC issue. The player may be new, and god knows accidental shootings happen on CM. Check the player's note history for relevant incidents, and if it is a recurring problem consider a ban.
    Good answer. You'll have to figure out if the incident is tied to a properly escalated roleplay scenario or not. If they just went out of their way to simply shoot someone for the lols, it needs to be taken care of. If the player is new or didn't have any recent notes regarding this, you may still want to talk to him about how our Escalation Procedures work, or apply a warning and Aheal the affected player if the shooting was not ICly justified. If the MPs already have him, it's up to you if you wish to pursue it further or let them take care of it IC.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    Suggest that the player file a player report against the predator on the forums. If the violation is clear and egregious, message the predator asking for an explanation.
    Good. You're not allowed to take action against Predators, COs or Synthetics unless they're outright mass-griefing the server by either killing people or blowing stuff up. You may refer them to the player reports or the Whitelist Council directly to speak to. You can also investigate the Predators actions via logs and provide that to the Council to assist them in finding out if whatever happened was right or wrong.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    Ideally nudge the SEA and have them show the likely new player the ropes. If no SEA is available, a mentor could be asked to help out the player. If none of the above are available, the moderator could send the player some pointers and answer questions, as long as doing so does not interfere with any more pressing concerns for the round.
    Good answer. Keep in mind that Moderators have no timelocks and also get access to play SEA. If you want, you can take him by his hand yourself and teach him the ropes, thoug every other mentioned option also works here.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Remain cordial the entire time. Suggest that the player file a staff report if they feel you have been unfair in your treatment of them. Give them the name of the mod manager and inform them they can contact them over BYOND or discord if they feel they need to. If they refuse to stop abusing ahelps after the above consider a ban.
    Very good answer. Players are not entitled to speaking to a higher-up if they feel you've wronged them. Always refer them to either the staff report section on the forums, or tell them they should message a Mod Manager if they have a complaint. If they keep arguing, make them aware of Rule 0.2 and apply a cooldown ban of 3 hours minimum if things get really severe and out of hand.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    Message 'John Doe' and inform him that his name does not meet the naming rules for CM. If this is a first time offense for an improper name, offer to change it for them and add a single note relating to the name issue. Check notes for repeated name violations.
    Again, a decent answer. Make sure to give them the option to acknowledge why their name is bad and tell them to change the name by next round. You don't have to do this, you can skip straight to changing their name on the spot, though it's recommended to tell them that to see if they actually follow in line. Good mentioning of applying a note, since this is noteworthy regardless of if it was accidential or not.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    Message the MT asking them why they are ignoring their shipside duties and SOP. With the new agent system in place and various other IC possibilities they may have a reason for doing what they're doing. Barring acceptable justification, ask them to stow the armor and rifle. Consider adding a minor note and check note history for similar issues.
    Good. Keep in mind that one, two incidents of this occuring is not immediately grounds for OOC intervention. Maintenance Technician is a very, very boring shipside role 90% of the time and as thus, people will try to find ways to make it more creative for themselves. If they are running around with the aforementioned gear, as long as they don't go shooting stuff up or deploy to the planet, leave it for the MPs to handle. However, if this happens one too many times alongside incidents such as griefing or misusing the equipment, it should obviously be looked into it. In this case, you won't need to apply a note for them merely walking around with equipment violating ML or SOP.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Inform the survivor that outright physical hostility towards marines is no longer acceptable on CM. If they continue arguing link them to the rules page and specify rule 2. Add a note and check for similar issues in the past. Check to see if the dead marine will be revived and healed. If the survivor stuffed them in a locker or otherwise hid them consider an aheal.
    Very good answer. Survivors are not allowed to be hostile towards Marines outright unless provoked or being given an IC reason to. If the survivor in question has a standing history of violating this, you may consider upping the punishment to a Survivor ban or a ban following our internal procedure. All in all though, a very satisfying answer.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    Message the MP and confirm that the marine is not lying, I'm sure staff on CM get their fair share of ahelps from arrested marines that do not tell the whole story. If the permanent confinement is in error, inform the MP and ask them to brig them for trespassing and theft, crediting the poisoner any time spent in the brig for the false charge. Add a note to the MP for improper procedure and check for a history of MP related issues.
    A good call once again. MPs are not allowed to arbitrarily charge people for stuff they haven't done, and as such, violates not only SOP, but also Marine Law, constituting a rule break. If MPs are found to do this repeatedly, they are eligible for a job ban stretching out from MP to CMP. Crediting is something you don't have to do, though it's recommended to just take some time off and early-release the inmate after the proper charges were applied.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    Generally a slight nudge to DEFCON 1 is enough to get the round resolved one way or another. Sending the marines an ERT is another way to break a stalemate. In my experience most stalemates unfortunately result in staff intervening on behalf of the marines, however CM mechanics make it difficult to aid the xenos directly in the event of a stalemate. Messaging the CO or sending a QM message blatantly asking for an assault from either side often results in a lot of anger, as players feel as if they are being told to essentially die. In this case of 30 to 4, a marine assault makes more sense. a forced bioscan would probably be enough to make the marines re-deploy.
    We don't usually give free DEFCON or send ERTs in order to break stalemates. This is done at Admin discretion in form of an event, and Moderators, especially Trial Mods, have no such ability to them, so you have to view this from a basic Moderators standpoint. The most you can do is order Xenos via Queen Mother or subtle message the acting Commander/Captain in a creative way to nudge him into the riht direction. For everything else, you'd have to ask a Senior Mod and above.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Admittedly I am not sure how much leeway staff have when they are actively involved in a round, but I would assume that when you are playing the game you are unable to act as a moderator in any fashion due to the massive conflict of interest it would represent. In this case I would try to handle the issue IC, asking the medic to stop. If that fails, I would send an ahelp and let the active staff handle the issue.
    Perfect answer. Most people applying get this wrong, not without a reason of course, since it's a pretty tricky question. Though you pretty much nailed it. Approaching it ICly is a good way to keep things in RP, though if it's obvious grief with malicious intent, you'd have to Ahelp it as staff members are not allowed to take care of incidents that they are directly involved in/related to.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    Inform the CLF member that hostile parties remain hostile towards one another after round end.
    Nothing to add, perfect.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    Consider sleeping the player in question if he is still a major disruption. Message the player in question and ask him why he was doing what he was doing. If he is unable to offer a suitable justification inform him that his behavior does not meet CM RP standards and that roundstart hooliganism is against the rules of the server. Issue a stern warning for a first time offense. Add a note to the player. Check note history for similar issues and consider a ban for repeat offenses.
    Not a lot to add here, a great answer over all again. Roundstart Shenanigans may be done with-in a small frame as long as it doesn't affect players in a grand scheme, such as a bit of disarming or consensual brawls. Everything else though needs to be investigated, and you explained it really well.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Inform the killer that such behavior does not meet the escalation standards for CM as specified in the rules. Issue a stern warning for first time offenses and add a note. Check note history and consider a ban for repeated escalation issues.
    Good. Good answer. Do you think you forgot something, though? What happens with the victim?

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    Use MOOC to broadcast a message to the effect of: "There is currently no approved mutiny, would-be mutineers need to stand down." If players continue to mutiny asleeps may be used to buy time to make sure the mutineers understand that their mutiny is not approved. If players still refuse to stand down short bans can be used as a last resort. Notes would be added at this point as well. It is likely that just one or two would take it this far after the asleep and MOOC warning.
    For mutinies it's important to know how to differentiate actual rule breakers from plain followers. An illegal mutiny doesn't automatically render everyone involved a perpetrator. It's at your own discretion how you'd like to handle it, though in most cases we pick out the leaders and only punish those that keep going even past our warnings. Noting everyone involved also isn't neccessary unless they actually ignore our warning for them to stop. Leaders of mutinies should however be spoken to and be reprimanded/noted.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    "Racism, the use of slurs and other targeting terms or phrases is strictly forbidden and will not be tolerated." Inform the players that racism is not tolerated and tell them to cease. Short bans and notes can go out if they refuse to stop after a warning.
    Good. If one person complains, it's usually a player too much already. Blatant racism and bigotry is not tolerated and needs to be taken care of in form of heavy warnings or bans depending on the offending players history and escalation procedure at the time.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Ban the Ckey tied to the marine in question. They can appeal on the forums if they want to play on CM again.
    Mhm, acceptable ruling. Though how long do you think you ban him for? And what else would you do?

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Message the player asking why they did what they did. If they have no acceptable excuse, issue a warning for a first time offense, and consider a xeno ban for repeated offenses. Add a note to the account detailing the incident.
    Good. Always consider that some players do this by accident, either due to lag or because their client is turning into a freezing mess. Encounters where people are reported to have done this on purpose should always be noted to make sure that future incidents like those are recorded and can be handled appropriately.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    Message the xeno player in question and ask them to stop with the memeing and LRP behavior. If they refuse to stop issue a short ban and add a note. Check note history for repeated offenses and consider a longer ban or xeno ban if LRP behavior has been a recurring issue.
    Good answer, not a whole lot to add. Banning someone is most of the time our last resort and not always neccessary. Most players stop when you tell them to, though if they keep it up, a minimum 3 hour ban is not a bad choice to punish someone who isn't willing to adjust.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    Inform the second player that the "hivemind" represents mental concepts translated to English, so calling a shuttle a dropship is actually A-Ok
    Perfect, nothing to add.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    A minor slip up like this isn't a major issue in my opinion, message the Command staff player in question and let them know that their character should have no way of knowing what threat they are facing on the planet. If they designed their entire brief around xenos issue a warning and add a note. Hopefully you catch their slip up before this point.
    Even if it was done by accident, it's still worthwhile to note it down. Even if players seemingly do things inadvertendly, you never know if this is just a one-time occurance, or a regular offender that just falls under the radar and repeats this in the future. This is why keeping notes is so important.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    This is a tricky one, as I could certainly see this occurring in the real world in such a desperate situation. Rule 14 does not forbid such an action, although it is a bit scummy. If marines are fighting over evac pods the round is almost over, and aheals and asleeps are not needed or helpful. If I observed escalation at all from the aggressor such as "GET OUT OF THE POD NOW OR I SHOOT!" I would probably let the incident slide as IC. If it was a wordless PB of a marine standing in a pod I would at the very least add a note to the murderer, and I would inform them that in the future some escalation should be used before silently removing a person from a round, even at the end. Check note history for greifing incidents and consider a ban if the player has been found to do similar actions in the past.
    General rule of thumb in a case like this is: if it's happened without any interaction or attempt to roleplay, it's griefing. If Xenos were closing in and the player fought for his survival and desperately tries to flee and properly roleplays his interaction with those "stealing" his chance of getting out alive away, it can be stamped off an IC issue. Your answer is therefore good.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    As always, remain cordial. Tell them that they need to stop spamming chat, and encourage them to file a staff report against you if they feel it is necessary. If they are incessantly spamming looc and dchat a ban may be warranted, however an occasional off-comment would not warrant such an action. Rule 3 applies, but I understand that players in CM get angry. Banning over chat insults should be reserved for the worst offenders.
    Moderators will face this more often than not that players become aggravated by your decision, so letting them vent in an acceptable scale is not a bad decision to make. Though if they clearly go overboard and start getting personal with their insults and drag your judgement into the dirt, it's best to remind them about Rule 0.2 or give them a cooldown of 3 hours minimum for it. You don't have to take shit from anyone in your line of duty, that's what we have complaint sections for.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    Inform the SSD player that being SSD does not offer them any protection from the xenos.
    Good, nothing to add. We don't give out freebees because someones internet died or their client crashed. It just happens and it's hard to verify.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    Message the staff member in question and let them know that the information was wrong, with a link to the wiki or changelog if possible. For a rule violation, ask for clarification without accusing the staff member. If blatant, message an admin or senior staff member with the details. Keep an open mind at all times, as their interpretation of the rule or understanding of the mechanics may actually be correct.
    Rule clarifications are done by Managment, so you go to them to have something clarified. Civil and calm debate is always appreciated in Msay when people disagree with something, though if someoen falls out of line, you can always bring it to the Mod Managers attention for resolve.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    At the end of the day, once the ban has been issued it is up to the player to file a ban appeal or staff report. If I felt that the ban was in error I would message the player in question encouraging them to file an appeal. Informing an admin or other senior staff member of the issue would also be a good idea, as they could offer a ruling that could be carried forward for other similar issues in the future. At no point would I inject myself into an argument between staff and exacerbate the situation.
    You don't message a player that is about to get banned by another Moderator, you let them handle it. If Moderators are unsure what punishment to apply, they usually consult other staff members online for their input and then go from there. Though if you believe that their decision was overboard, overzealous or flat out wrong, you can either discuss it with them in Msay, or if you feel it needs to be addressed by a higher up, bring it to the Mod Manager.

Anything else you
    Reading through reports and appeals on the forum is a guilty pleasure of mine, and I can't help but notice that a lot of the ambiguity could be removed if staff were recording their screens. Logs are great, but they often lack the context that a video brings. Are staff not allowed to record their screens while moderating on CM? I would likely record the rounds that I moderate if accepted and then edit the videos if needed for a report or appeal.
    Not sure on this to be fair. You can record your rounds, though you shouldn't make them available to the public for obvious reasons. If anything, if you wish to record just yourself playing the game, you should always de-admin yourself as to not allow any third parties to view Msay in the recording. But I'd need a Manager to clarify on that.

Over all, I'm very, very pleasantly surprised with this application. I can tell you've put effort into it and carefully read up on previous application and made sure to get your answers finetuned. In that aspect, big props to you. I'll give you one, two more questions before giving you my verdict, though I'm already leaning towards a positive inclination. Here you go:

1. An Agent just got arrested by the MPs. He's carrying a satchel of C4 with him in his pouch. As he manages to break out of confinement, he manages to acquire his C4 satchel and blows himself out of the Brig, tearing down a major part of the wall with it to flee. When you confront him, he says he was jailbreaking and had an objective tied to destroying an airlock at the Brig. Is this allowed? What would you do?

2. As Marines land on the planet, they encounter 3 survivors hiding in the LV Nexus Security. Marines save them and take them to the dropship. Suddenly, one of the Survivors yells "DOWN WITH THE USCM!" and starts gunning down the Pilot Officer as the ship takes off. As they land on the Almayer, the survivor who initially engaged combat begins gunning down every Marine he sees before eventually being dropped himself. Is this okay? What do you do here?

Answer me those and I'll gladly give you my vote!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for taking the time to review the app! I can't seem to get multi quote to work so sorry in advance for the lackluster formatting of this reply.

To answer your question on what additional actions I'd take in relation to the roundstart briefing shooter, In this case the ban would be permanent. this prevents the same person from logging on a week later and doing the same thing. A note detailing the incident and reasoning for the ban would be added to their account. Mass aheals would also be in order, typically MOOC is used to encourage players to ahelp if they were a victim of the greifer.

To add to my response to the incident where one marine killed another after being punched, the victim in question, if not already being healed or about to be healed by IC means, should be ahealed. An admin can decide if the situation warrants one. I would also link the murderer to the rules page, specifying rule 14.

For the additional questions you posed to me:

1. An Agent just got arrested by the MPs. He's carrying a satchel of C4 with him in his pouch. As he manages to break out of confinement, he manages to acquire his C4 satchel and blows himself out of the Brig, tearing down a major part of the wall with it to flee. When you confront him, he says he was jailbreaking and had an objective tied to destroying an airlock at the Brig. Is this allowed? What would you do?

Jailbreaks are allowed on CM, and while C4 is certainly a bit of an extreme way to do it, I feel like an agent escaping the brig certainly has more than enough IC justification to do so via C4. An agent escaping confinement, accessing his old gear, and then being able to use said gear to escape is more of a failure on the parts of the MPs than griefing from the agent. I have no idea if mods are able to verify agent objectives, but if he did in fact have one to destroy a brig door, all the more reason to keep the issue IC. Overall I think the whole thing can be handled IC assuming the agent doesn't go on to start bombing multiple departments after his initial escape.

2. As Marines land on the planet, they encounter 3 survivors hiding in the LV Nexus Security. Marines save them and take them to the dropship. Suddenly, one of the Survivors yells "DOWN WITH THE USCM!" and starts gunning down the Pilot Officer as the ship takes off. As they land on the Almayer, the survivor who initially engaged combat begins gunning down every Marine he sees before eventually being dropped himself. Is this okay? What do you do here?

No, survivors per rule 2 cannot be hostile towards marines physically. Going on a killing spree after initially being friendly would even be in violation of our old survivor escalation rules. I think in the case of mass griefing such as this aheals for the marines in question may even be necessary depending on the number killed and the availability of IC treatment. The survivor in question should be messaged, and asked if they had any reason whatsoever for doing what they did. Barring an acceptable excuse, refer them to the rules page and specify rule 2. They should receive a short ban, or a ban from survivor for a first time offense, with a note being added detailing the incident. Check note history for repeated similar incidents and consider a week ban or more if they have a poor history with improper escalation or hostility as survivor. With the new CLF survivor role something like this could happen, and potentially be justified, though I imagine acting friendly just to get on the ship would negate IC protection from spawning as a CLF member.

Thank you again for your time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for applying, Stephen!

Alright, so you are an active member of the community and I remember your name from a long time ago.

Your answers are fine and I'm sure the training program is more than enough to teach whatever else you need to know.
    +1

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer your question on what additional actions I'd take in relation to the roundstart briefing shooter, In this case the ban would be permanent. this prevents the same person from logging on a week later and doing the same thing. A note detailing the incident and reasoning for the ban would be added to their account. Mass aheals would also be in order, typically MOOC is used to encourage players to ahelp if they were a victim of the greifer.
    We don't give permanent bans, as this is an Admin only thing, however you may apply a lenghty ban such as a week or, with permission, a month ban where you request a permanent ban afterwards. Good decision on the aheals as well.

To add to my response to the incident where one marine killed another after being punched, the victim in question, if not already being healed or about to be healed by IC means, should be ahealed. An admin can decide if the situation warrants one. I would also link the murderer to the rules page, specifying rule 14.
    As we don't typically give out aheals to Improper Escalation, it's still very much up to the staff member handling it. I personally do it if the case is severe enough, though it's really up to whoever takes care of it. Check the murderers notes and go from there. If he did it once? A warning with a note is sufficient. Happened more often? A ban should be given. Good answer nonetheless.

Jailbreaks are allowed on CM, and while C4 is certainly a bit of an extreme way to do it, I feel like an agent escaping the brig certainly has more than enough IC justification to do so via C4. An agent escaping confinement, accessing his old gear, and then being able to use said gear to escape is more of a failure on the parts of the MPs than griefing from the agent. I have no idea if mods are able to verify agent objectives, but if he did in fact have one to destroy a brig door, all the more reason to keep the issue IC. Overall I think the whole thing can be handled IC assuming the agent doesn't go on to start bombing multiple departments after his initial escape.
    Yes, we can verify agent objectives. I like the answer. Considering he's had an objective anyway that is tied to blowing something up in the Brig (in this case, an airlock) and given the fact he attempts to evade confinement, this is totally acceptable to be dealt with ICly. However, even when jailbreaking, an agent, or any player in that regard, should try to go as non-lethal as possible. As in, he shouldn't deliberately blow up a section of a wall where most players can be found, that'd defeat the purpose. Other than that, solid.

No, survivors per rule 2 cannot be hostile towards marines physically. Going on a killing spree after initially being friendly would even be in violation of our old survivor escalation rules. I think in the case of mass griefing such as this aheals for the marines in question may even be necessary depending on the number killed and the availability of IC treatment. The survivor in question should be messaged, and asked if they had any reason whatsoever for doing what they did. Barring an acceptable excuse, refer them to the rules page and specify rule 2. They should receive a short ban, or a ban from survivor for a first time offense, with a note being added detailing the incident. Check note history for repeated similar incidents and consider a week ban or more if they have a poor history with improper escalation or hostility as survivor. With the new CLF survivor role something like this could happen, and potentially be justified, though I imagine acting friendly just to get on the ship would negate IC protection from spawning as a CLF member.
    If survivors are spawned in as a hostile faction, such as CLF, they are allowed to be hostile from the get go. As for turning sides on the spot, that one is still quite iffy. We don't apply survivor bans when no prior offense is recorded, we only give them a stern warning and go from there. Same goes with the Aheals. You should always heal those affected by griefing, unless of course the survivor was justified in his actions.

Over all, solid answers, solid app, not much else to say. +1 from me and I hope to see you on the team soon!

Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those were some pretty good answers, your playtime looks great, your note history was great this year, the application is solid and you clearly put some thought into it.

Got no qualms what so ever about seeing you get a trial! +1
    Robert 'DangerZone' Hale and the incognito legion

FA-XXX-L5 (The D-Day Drone that never wants to be a Hivelord yet always winds up as one)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a grade A application, +1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm, you app is well constructed with majority of the answers looking fine. I think you will do fine with a trial period.

+1
    Mentor 1st Mar, 2020 - 11th Apr, 2020
    Trial Moderator 11th Apr, 2020 - 23rd Apr, 2020
    Moderator 23rd Apr, 2020 - 31st Aug, 2020
    Senior Moderator 31st Aug, 2020 - 8th Oct, 2020
    Trial Administrator 8th Oct, 2020 - 6th Nov, 2020
    Administrator 6th Nov, 2020 - 21st Feb, 2021
    Moderator Manager 21st Feb, 2021 - 11th Jul, 2021
    Administrator Manager 11th Jul, 2021 - 8th Aug, 2021

Administrator 12th Oct, 2022 - Present

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Accepted, contact me on discord
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.