Byond ID?
    ito726

CM Character?
    Kiara Miller

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    complicated. EU, but not stable.

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    depends on my play habbits. usually atleast 10, tho ofthen more.

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    yes reddit, and a few small discords

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    on occasion, i have previouslty, tg para bee

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    none

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    reddit for an about 100k sub tho for privacy reasons would prefer not to specify which.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    no

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    only a job ban, due to inexperience, about 5 years ago on para, their recommendation was to play here to learn, and would reverse the ban

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    yes

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    it sounds like minor griefing, and as situation is under control, nothing if its minor enough, probably give the guy a warning if they seem new, and direct them to the server rules. if they are an experienced player that was clearly griefing, a ban for grief.

if it is a case where its because revenge for previous round events by an experienced player, id look into a ban however for griefing and meta.

if its a troll on an alt, then id give a ban, likely permanent if thats the norm here.

i am assuming mps are doing things here by the book and charging him with murder. (in effect an about 2h ingame ban due to it being at round start, which is why i dont consider additional ones to be necessary for a new player)

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    i have no input to give here.This is not the job of moderators to handle honourcode issues. id direct them to the forums.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    id link the quick-start guide. followed up by getting them in contact with a moderator, be it though mhelp or asking a moderator to contact them. Either way, get them to meet SEA ingame if one is available. Id inform his sl or equivalent as well if there is no one else available. as they can best help them.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    ask them to take the complains if they have any to the forums, and temporarily mute them otherwise, in regards to me, if necessary. Sometimes a mute prevents them from digging a deeper hole.

if simply ignoring them would seem more appropriate in having them cool off, i would personally prefer that.

I think this is a matter of choice for the moderating community as a whole. on reddit we follow a just ignore dont mute informal policy, as that seems to be most effective there. this would be covered under rule 0.2.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    this is a rule 12 violation, but i dont know the penalties for it. id warn the player and ask them to change it in the future at a minimum.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    This is an issue for mps primarily. Command sometimes approves this. they might be deploying soon in which case, i would simply ignore it on the mt side. if mps arent doing their job then its their fault and id look into that.

if they are metaing then ask them to stop and tell them to read the rules. if this isnt a first breach naturally id ban.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    job ban for survivor if this inst a first offense. they are not allowed to be hostile at round start. Given the response from the survivor im inclined to believe they didnt know they cant do this any longer, and acknowledge they have rped and informed the marines, so id show some leniency. id naturally inform the survivor the rule on this has changed.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    id look who the cmp is and have them handle it ingame. if the complaint is merited, id look into a jobban for the mp. this is both an ooc and ic violation of the rules for them. it borders on 'kidnapping', and massive sop breach for the mp. This is unless the mps are overwhelmed and this is a temporary detainment so they can process the backlog or they ran out of cells or the cells were blown up. id be a more lenient on a new mp.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    naturally id QM, it seems a decent idea, queen will hate it, as im choosing her to lose here, ive been on the receiving end of this. id infrom the captain to attack here, for whatever bullshit excuse, such as save the captured marines.
    i might inform one side there exists a strategic vulnerability they could exploit, if one exists, like an unguarded back wall. or inform command to process intel, or rnd to make xenos. there are tons of way to have this stalemate derailed.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    id ask the to stop, and if theydont, id try to have them detained. ml allows for lethals in this case. i suspect the marines will just BE him tho.

if they stop id inform cmo/mps/command depending on who is there.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    nothing, it would be like a xeno complaining they got killed. this is not grief. unless the clf is custody or something like that.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    tell them to have the mps deal with him, they seem most appropriate. im not sure what gear they could take from a marine that they cant usually just replace. as for the player id consider ban for rule 13.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    improper escalation, id consider a ban if this is not the first time. id also tell him to read the rules.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    inform them to read the rules or they will risk bans.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    id look into it, if they are going too far id ask them to stop. tho i suspect it wont usually be the case.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    clear cut grief. id ban. there dosent seem much to it. maybe something comes up when they appeal. i think most of the damage can be handled ic, given medics are on ship, and docs/rnd arent too busy at round start.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    xeno job ban. clear cut griefing. if they were just scouting or lost, id treat it differently.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    ask them to stop. possibly banish.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    this seems a bit like nitpicking. yeah, they are technically right in rp standards being low, but not against rules in this case. this is acceptable behavior from the xeno. tell first guy to read rule again carefully.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    ropleplay violation. infrom the command staff to correct themselves ic 'that they heard a likely false rumor and that they should be ignored'.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    they have a rp reason for it. they have a lethal but not intimidate threat to themselves. it is end of round, so grief is minimal. other than improper escalation there isnt much ooc wise. it would be illegal under ML but evac makes it a bit irrelevant in practice. it sounds like there is a ruling on this. i suspect its permissible, as long as they tried dragging them out first or incapacitating but not killing. without the escalation for which there is no time,it seems difficult to be able to pull this off based on the letter. spirit tho i dont know, i could be ooc grief is more important than ic role-play for this, or other way around, id go with borderline impermissible, tho i suspect there is a ruling im not aware of.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    hope he stops, we dont want to escalate. id have another member decide when it becomes too much, if possible as im personally involved.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    i dont think this would be against any rules, or if it is i have missed it repeatedly. if they are ssd in a bad spot, i feel its the marines fault. if they were actively being chased im sure they have no ooc protections for ssd. either way i dont think i would intervene.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    id inform the member privately. if they didnt know and it ends there, i dont see any reason for escalation. it is best if there are no contradicting ahleps out there during a round, even if the guy was wrong in the first place. they may correct themselves if they wish.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    i have no issue with a disagreement in msay, id weigh in but unless it becomes disruptive id take no actions. i suspect one of the 2 people would bring the issue up the ladder.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    You guys asked for help repeatedly in chat, an i can fill in. i find myself often in low pop times

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    patience.

Anything else you
    Thank you for your time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ito, thanks for applying.

We do need more mods in the EU timezone so that's good. I see you have a lot of hours in December but I don't see any hours in November. Are you back from a break?

Your application isn't very nice to read because of the lack of uppercase and some of your answers are off. Also, by lenience do you mean handing out a note or not doing anything? There is a lack of mention of notes, warnings, and investigation in your answers.
    I'm not going to nitpick all of them but here are the ones I disagree with:

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    job ban for survivor if this inst a first offense. they are not allowed to be hostile at round start. Given the response from the survivor im inclined to believe they didnt know they cant do this any longer, and acknowledge they have rped and informed the marines, so id show some leniency. id naturally inform the survivor the rule on this has changed.
    Even if the survivor RPed it properly, it's still a rule break. You should apply a note at a minimum.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    id look who the cmp is and have them handle it ingame. if the complaint is merited, id look into a jobban for the mp. this is both an ooc and ic violation of the rules for them. it borders on 'kidnapping', and massive sop breach for the mp. This is unless the mps are overwhelmed and this is a temporary detainment so they can process the backlog or they ran out of cells or the cells were blown up. id be a more lenient on a new mp.
    Before of doing anything you should investigate the situation to confirm their claims. You don't want to PM people to handle something IC, so don't do it. I don't like the fact you would straight up jobban the MP, check past notes before doing that.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    naturally id QM, it seems a decent idea, queen will hate it, as im choosing her to lose here, ive been on the receiving end of this. id infrom the captain to attack here, for whatever bullshit excuse, such as save the captured marines.
    i might inform one side there exists a strategic vulnerability they could exploit, if one exists, like an unguarded back wall. or inform command to process intel, or rnd to make xenos. there are tons of way to have this stalemate derailed.
    Just keep in mind that mods can't run any events so don't interfere too much. Smods+ have access to ARES so you could ask for help from another fellow staff member too.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    id ask the to stop, and if theydont, id try to have them detained. ml allows for lethals in this case. i suspect the marines will just BE him tho.

if they stop id inform cmo/mps/command depending on who is there.
    It's okay to ask him to stop IC but as a staff member, you can't ignore a possible rule break, as you are involved you can't investigate it yourself either. So the right call is to ask another mod to look into it. NEVER handle ahelps in which you are involved. Marines can't BE, only the CO has this authority.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    nothing, it would be like a xeno complaining they got killed. this is not grief. unless the clf is custody or something like that.
    You should explain to the player why it isn't considered grief. Don't do nothing, even if it's an IC issue, otherwise, the player will feel like the staff is just ignoring them.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    inform them to read the rules or they will risk bans.
    There is a huge lack of information in this answer. I'd like you to answer it again. Who would you talk to? What rule are they breaking? Would you intervene or not? Would you apply any punishment, if so, to who?

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    id look into it, if they are going too far id ask them to stop. tho i suspect it wont usually be the case.
    Racism is taken very seriously in CM. Apply a warning at least, unless it's something that's so minor that can't be even considered racism.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    improper escalation, id consider a ban if this is not the first time. id also tell him to read the rules.
    Telling the player to read the rules is fine but to be honest, not very effective. You want to tell the player the exact rule that was broken before applying a note. Also, you didn't mention notes/warnings in this answer. The most likely outcome of improper escalation is a note or a ban following proper escalation.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    clear cut grief. id ban. there dosent seem much to it. maybe something comes up when they appeal. i think most of the damage can be handled ic, given medics are on ship, and docs/rnd arent too busy at round start.
    What is the length of this ban? You want to return the round to it's normal state ASAP so don't forget to mass aheal anyone who was shot by the griefer. Docs/Researchers shouldn't be wasting their time on that.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    hope he stops, we dont want to escalate. id have another member decide when it becomes too much, if possible as im personally involved.
    If you feel personally involved, as in you have an emotional bias, leave it to another staff member, good call on that. However, if the player rants too much you should tell him about rule 0.2 and escalate the warning into a ban. Even if you're okay with players insulting you, it shouldn't be encouraged. A player sees another player insulting staff members non-stop and he doesn't get punished. What is he gonna do if he is ever in a similar situation? Insult staff members. Of course, we won't ban it if he rants just a bit. It depends on the situation.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    id inform the member privately. if they didnt know and it ends there, i dont see any reason for escalation. it is best if there are no contradicting ahleps out there during a round, even if the guy was wrong in the first place. they may correct themselves if they wish.
    The most likely situation is that the other staff member also has a reason behind enforcing the rule the way he did. So it's a good idea to take it up to management to clarify the enforcement of this rule in this specific situation. The important thing here is to maintain cohesion and never step in the ahelp. A respectful discussion is fine too, keep it civilized. I don't disagree with anything you said here, just adding some more information. Good answer.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    i have no issue with a disagreement in msay, id weigh in but unless it becomes disruptive id take no actions. i suspect one of the 2 people would bring the issue up the ladder.
    Could you elaborate further? What actions would you take if it becomes disruptive? In what situation would you take the issue up the ladder, if you're not involved?

For now, I'm neutral about this mod app so I'm going to add two questions.

1- There are reports that xenos were harassing the FoB. A MP deploys to arrest a marine and decides to taze the suspect at the FoB, suspect runs away and MP chases him to outside the FoB. Both of them die. Nobody ahelps. What would you do?

2- Marine Joe disarms and stabs Ronald once. As soon as Ronald gets up, he PB's Joe to death. Who is wrong in this situation? What would you do?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry, but this application is very luckluster. It's okay if you're having issues in regards to the English grammar, I don't really look at this too much, however the answers you've provided to most questions are either wrong, not fleshed out enough or don't seem well researched as it's with other applications. I'm typically one for giving people a chance to prove themselves, though with a heavy heart, I feel that I cannot support this application.

You come off as if you haven't really read into any of the past accepted apps and what staff members had to say about them. Your playtime is impressive, that's a big plus in my book, though the over-all makeup of your application and the lack of investment that come with the answers, plus how you've got a good bunch of our procedures wrong, really doesn't sit well with me.

I'll have to unfortunately give you a -1 on this.

For the future, please make sure to actually read up on previously accepted applications. It'll not only give you a good pointer to how we expect people to perform, but it also makes you understand how we do things around here. I wish you a happy new year and a nice time regardless!

Senior Administrator and Mentor Overseer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bibiex View Post
    Hey Ito, thanks for applying.
    We do need more mods in the EU timezone so that's good. I see you have a lot of hours in December but I don't see any hours in November. Are you back from a break?
    Yeah.

Your application isn't very nice to read because of the lack of uppercase and some of your answers are off. Also, by lenience do you mean handing out a note or not doing anything? There is a lack of mention of notes, warnings, and investigation in your answers.
    I am unfamiliar with the tools and interfaces we have. As such, i do have a bit of a hard time with the correct answers on notes warning and investigation. I have reviewed a few more applications since i wrote this, and realized that by not explicitly mentioning checking notes and adding to them, i did everyone a disservice here.

I have every intention to check notes on every potential case of rule-break, including seemingly minor ones. Even if i may not have explicitly said this in every answer where this may have applied.
    I intend to usually add notes to in cases of rules being broken (survivor synth question being a possible exception based on how i understood the question previously, and would like to change my answer to it), notes are taken to aid myself and everyone else with being able to check for patterns of bad behavior, we do log off and other mods do take over, they do need to know what happened to continue and act appropriately.

I naturally do not blindly believe ahelps are complete or correct, and that for stuff other than simple questions, investigations are almost always necessary, conducted though logs or asking other players, or whatever. I have very limtied knowladge of what tools are available for investigations, which makes it difficult to answer questions on this. Simply knowing logs exist is not sufficient, I need to know what those logs look like, and what they monitor and how detailed and readable they are. ive only seen 2-3 short excerpts of them in some appeals. That does not say much about my intent to conduct them however, which id do in most cases, circumstances permitting. However for the answers simply opening up every answer with "Investigate and then. ..." seemed a bit off.

Leniency, can mean note or warning/inform the player. or the nature of the note or warning. Its one thing to say in notes "player x broke mp rule and was told to read up on ml" and another to "say player x is new, struggles with some rules for mps" for example, and both could potentially describe the same event, (I have no idea whats the norm for the length of notes here, short notes are easier to check, longer ones may be more useful in other cases). One note would likely lead to a very quick jobban on the next ahelp, and the other note would likely only result in another note. I know from moderating experience that some notes are worse than a 'permban without notes', in terms of consequences for a user, and chances for appeal and 'reform' being accepted in the eyes of other moderators, and as such this is an important distinction too, not just one between notes vs bans vs warnings.

Not doing anything, i meant it as no notes or bans or warnings against the supposedly offending player. It dosent mean that id ignore the appealing user, just not take actions against the 'offender'. I think this was in regards to the dead clf.

Even if the survivor RPed it properly, it's still a rule break. You should apply a note at a minimum.
    ok, i misunderstood this to be a recent change, i misread the date on the rule change, and believed there is still a grace period, changing the meaning of the question significantly in how i understood it. with the correct understanding of the question my answer would have been an automatic note. i would inform the survivor this is not allowed. id check history for such infractions and escalate accordingly.

Before of doing anything you should investigate the situation to confirm their claims. You don't want to PM people to handle something IC, so don't do it. I don't like the fact you would straight up jobban the MP, check past notes before doing that.
    I considered investigating to be too obvious, I didn't mention it. Id confirm with the req staff, and the mp first. Id also check with the other mps if hes just new or what, id not strait up jobban mp for this. As with all questions on rule breaks id check notes and investigate. I am however inclied to see this as an offence for an mp they really should know better even after a few rounds. From a expirianced mp this looks like abuse of power to me, rather than a sop/ml breach. If the question is would i automatically job ban an mp for ml law breach, no id rather give out warnings and only escalate for a pattern of such behavior. But this i not how i understand the question.

I did seemingly mess up on the asking for in game interference. I really cant say i understand why aheal is acceptable but releasing someone from perma who should not be there is not, given that, realistically, players in perma, who are not supposed to be there are often as good as dead. Or is my failure to just differentiate between the 'instill thoughts' or whatever that command is and admin-pm? if in which case, yeah, its something i didnt fully think through at the time, but clearly a pm would be inappropriate for this and i would prefer the other tool, if this is the issue.

It's okay to ask him to stop IC but as a staff member, you can't ignore a possible rule break, as you are involved you can't investigate it yourself either. So the right call is to ask another mod to look into it. NEVER handle ahelps in which you are involved. Marines can't BE, only the CO has this authority.
    Im aware of the lack of authority. All i really meant is that lethals in self deference of others are permissible, and that he would be shot at by every marine nearby the moment hes accused of this and injects the next person. I dont expect this to end up anything short of a de facto, (and improper) BE. i dont know if any medic will revive him either. I never meant to imply i had the authority to do a BE.

I would probably ahelp about the issue, but would not intervene in it myself ooc/pm wise, unless i was the only mod and he would continue to od people after i fail to stop him ic, which makes my involvement major as id have tried to handle this ic, rather than just stumble upon it, and i agree its not a great situation to be in, but i am applying for less moderated hours too, so this might happen to me more often then normal.

I did happen to be that medic (doc) who oded people and moved on, almost an exact description of the situation. Rnd gave me a 60u instead of 15u injector for a 240epi/120/120 custom revival mix when i asked for a 15u one (and i didn't notice). I only realized after the 3/4 od when a medic informed me, as i was mass revivings so as to not let anyone perma then patching them up once all were revived, during a mass death. Wired circumstances, but even seemingly malicious behavior may not be intentional, as such i understand the need for investigations before actions.

What is the length of this ban? You want to return the round to it's normal state ASAP so don't forget to mass aheal anyone who was shot by the griefer. Docs/Researchers shouldn't be wasting their time on that.
    I dont know ahead of time, naturally would depend on the notes. which are implied, and i didnt mention, yet again, sorry about this. im not entirely sure what a first ban for this would be, i believe its 3h, tho this feels like a troll, so really id need to talk to the player or get more info as to how it happened, which is quite difficult with them logged off, so id favor having this end up in appeals, where i can talk to the player (or whoever ends up doing it can). naturally id make a note if i go with a 3h ban or no ban, for the purpose of the next moderator to handle it if it happens again to to act accordingly. If a greater ban is issued then a note for the purpose as to why this was done, and if it somehow happens again that the next mod can act accordingly.

as for the aheal, ok, i meant it only if the docs didnt seem busy, and if i could tell that would be the case. if the docs were busy id aheal no-questions. A case for not busy would be, 4 docs 3 nurses running around med bay in circles rather than same numbers with 2 in chem line and 8 medics queued up, and the other 2 docs mentoring the 3 new nurses. And that there would still being enough time till deployment for the marines to get their gear and do reqline, if i didnt intervene. If any command roles (including sls) were killed/incapacitated id aheal them regardless, given that everything depends on them organizing, and them being aware of what is happening. But if the standard is aheal no matter what, i have no issue with that, tho would like confirmation that is the standard, as it seems a bit at odds with the idea of minimal unnecessary intervention.

You should explain to the player why it isn't considered grief. Don't do nothing, even if it's an IC issue, otherwise, the player will feel like the staff is just ignoring them.
    i only meant nothing in as far aheal, or bans or the likes. its a poorly worded answer on my part, i have no intention of outright ignoring the ahelp. but i didnt not answer anything in regards to what id do with the player making the ahelp. id tell them they are the same as xenos in regards to eorg. if this ever actually happened id be more curious as to why they think eorg should apply to them. For example a marine indiscriminately shooting in the middle of a negotiation against their commands orders, i feel would count as grief, and could create this ahelp, too.

There is a huge lack of information in this answer. I'd like you to answer it again. Who would you talk to? What rule are they breaking? Would you intervene or not? Would you apply any punishment, if so, to who?
    ok that was a very poor answer from me. 'Rule 17. Mutinies' was violated. particularly the lack of authorization, at least at face value. Mooc chat asking them to stop/wait for permission. Figure out who is leading it or causing it. and start with them. asleep anyone who proceeds as needed to prevent disruptions before authorization, if any is ever given. Basically shut it down fast, and do nothing to encourage them in the future. assuming everyone is complaint till here, ask them to ahelp for authorization or add a note to the player(s) if it was totally bullshit. In short do not take actions encouraging improper mutinies, and shut them down as fast as possible.

Racism is taken very seriously in CM. Apply a warning at least, unless it's something that's so minor that can't be even considered racism.
    my understanding was that there is difference between ic and ooc racism. and some ic and context dependent racism is allowed. i assumed this was such a case rather than an clear cut offensive one. if it was the other kind id go with the warning and mooc reminder route. if it was clear cut enough id probably give a note too. (naturally as with evey question on rule break id check history and adjust penatly accordingly)

Telling the player to read the rules is fine but to be honest, not very effective. You want to tell the player the exact rule that was broken before applying a note. Also, you didn't mention notes/warnings in this answer. The most likely outcome of improper escalation is a note or a ban following proper escalation.
    Rule 14. Lethal Force, the improper escalation clause. I would give a warning and add a note, as breaches of this make rp very difficult, and leads to everyone just shooing preemptively, causing more of this to happen. Naturally as with everything that is a rule breach, check history, escalate bans as appropriate if there is history regarding this issue.

1 day at minimum, depending on how planned out vs impulsive it is, i cant think of circumstances where id consider less, and add a note to the account if they have a reasonable playtime. 28 days for a brand new account + request perma. i have no issue with this going to appeals if my assumption that this is a multikey-massgrief is wrong and would leave a note about it. But assuming this is multikeying+mass-grief seems like a good default place to start, and go from there. any account with alot of playtime should be given a chance to reform so id go for lower numbers for them, but increase it if they have notes.

If you feel personally involved, as in you have an emotional bias, leave it to another staff member, good call on that. However, if the player rants too much you should tell him about rule 0.2 and escalate the warning into a ban. Even if you're okay with players insulting you, it shouldn't be encouraged. A player sees another player insulting staff members non-stop and he doesn't get punished. What is he gonna do if he is ever in a similar situation? Insult staff members. Of course, we won't ban it if he rants just a bit. It depends on the situation.
    Yes, tolerating abuse encourages it. As does making threats against people who are mad in the moment (if they feel treated unjustly). In my experience it depends on the person a lot which is the better choice and leads to the least amount of total ban time and best compliance. Given the concern raised above about other players i think mooc announcement is ideal for this. Ive seen both approaches work on some people and fail on others. If there is a desire to have a unified policy as opposed to a case by case basis approach on this i have no issues with that.

Could you elaborate further? What actions would you take if it becomes disruptive? In what situation would you take the issue up the ladder, if you're not involved?
    I will take it up if I cant keep up with the chat scrolling because of them, or i cant use msay for other issues I have, or if it no longer stays as msay, and especially if it enters the ahelp. I will make an exception if the interfering in other ahelps for the no ban moderator says to the guy getting banned 'to appeal this charge, but that until then it stands'. If it devolves into something else, such as name calling, its best to not get involved if i lack the rank to do so, which i wont for a quite a while.Tthey are people I will be working with in the future as such its best to not make unnecessary enemies.

1- There are reports that xenos were harassing the FoB. A MP deploys to arrest a marine and decides to taze the suspect at the FoB, suspect runs away and MP chases him to outside the FoB. Both of them die. Nobody ahelps. What would you do?
    The way i understood the hot purist clause, ml was broken once he pursued outside the fob. Harassment at the fob dosen't sound like the fob itself is not a secure area, but areas outside it are. Id ask the marine if he like this fate for his character and aheal depending on the answer (got his arresting mp killed by xenos is not a bad end imo). Id ask the mp what happened too ofc, but this probably ends up with a note and warning. id check mp's history and see if perhaps there is something more to it too.

2- Marine Joe disarms and stabs Ronald once. As soon as Ronald gets up, he PB's Joe to death. Who is wrong in this situation? What would you do?
    Improper escalation to lethals. Aheal the dead guy. Give a note to ronaldand tell him why. This is asusming there isnt more to it based on notes and questioning, such as things having escalted to the point of lethas between them previously and Joe simply lacking access to guns. Or ronald having a rather poor history of escaltions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1- Right, MP's should stop the arrest the moment a hostile gets in view basically. Aheal is a powerful tool so we don't use it much, as the player didn't ahelp and this wasn't grief there is no need to aheal.
    2- We don't aheal for Improper Escalation, only grief.

Your answers showed a lot of improvement over your mod app. However, I can't ignore the fact most of your original answers were incorrect and lacked information. So it's a -1 from me.
    Also, I recommend you improve your grammar, there is a lot of mistyping in this app.

Good luck and thanks for your time.

Senior Administrator and Mentor Overseer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2- We don't aheal for Improper Escalation, only grief.
    Good luck and thanks for your time.
    I feel like a player that was having a brawl, and getting pbed for this, would normally feel griefed. I cant say if the stab was an accident or an invitation to a fight but i don't think it matters too much in either case. Why does this not count as grief (in addition to improper escalation) for the purpose of an aheal? Is it simply a lack of an explicit ahelp, or would this not count as grief even with an explicit ahelp?

Either way thank you for your time. i do wish you all a good luck in the new year.
    Last edited by ito726; 01-05-2021 at 11:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ito726 View Post
    I feel like a player that was having a brawl, and getting pbed for this, would normally feel griefed. I cant say if the stab was an accident or an invitation to a fight but i don't think it matters too much in either case. Why does this not count as grief (in addition to improper escalation) for the purpose of an aheal? Is it simply a lack of an explicit ahelp, or would this not count as grief even with an explicit ahelp?

Either way thank you for your time. i do wish you all a good luck in the new year.
    Because it's either Improper Escalation (Rule 14) or Grief (Rule 4). It can't be both. Depending on the situation you might consider it grief, if that is the case, it's at your discretion to fix any damage caused, as mentioned in the rules "Any damage to the station or players caused by griefing can be repaired at an Admin's discretion." The Lethal Force rule doesn't mention anything about repairing damage cause so that means no aheal.

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have this resolved by end of this week, thanks for applying
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to echo -1
    Retired CSM Jonathon 'Ghost' Granger

Discord Jonathongun#0219

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the App.

You've shown a keen interest in being a mod, although some of your answers are a bit off the mark.
    I reckon take on board what's already been said about your answers and reapply in a few months.

For now it's a -1, hope to see that changed in the future!