Byond ID?
    Kharakian

CM Character?
    Salem 'Silver' Solomon

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    UTC -7

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    I've been admin for Counterstrike and Battlefield servers in the past.

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    Not currently

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    N/A

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    I am an Officer in an Elite Dangerous Guild.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    No

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Yes I am.

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    If this is their first offense, I would talk to them and see what explanation they have. However, if this is something they have done in the past, I would likely lean towards a ban of some duration.

It could have been an accidental friendly fire incident and the MPs may be arresting him unreasonably.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    Investigate the situation, talk to the predator and get their side of the story. Do my best to see if this was an Honor Code violation or not. If it was a violation of the Honor Code, then the predator must be held to account for their actions. Though I am currently unaware of what options I would have in that regard as a moderator.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    Message them and direct them to the Quickstart Wiki on the webpage as well as offering some general tips to get them started.

If we had a SEA playing, I would also bring it to their attention that this person needs assistance.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Politely inform them that this is not appropriate behavior and that being escalated to a higher level is available but only if they are civil.

If they continued to be unreasonable, I would either escalate it anyway or look to apply a ban of some sorts. The escalation would depend on how serious the situation was. If it is them directly calling a member of staff out on some major issue, then it would be escalated to prevent any accusations of unfairness. If it was just a random request, it would not be.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    Check with the marine in question to see if they have a reason for this name. Otherwise, it is an oddly generic name and doesn't really fit with the roleplay requirements in the rules. It should be changed.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    Message the CMP or MP and let them handle it in character unless it escalates. That seems like a marine law issue.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    This is a rules violation per the wiki unless they were spawned in as CLF. The marine should be revived and the survivor either killed/arrested IC. OOC, they will be warned against doing this and pointed at the wiki to refamiliarize themselves with the rules.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    First thing, check with the MP and get their side of the story. If it was really just sneaking into Requisitions, then permanent confinement is not an appropriate punishment. If they are guilty of other crimes, than the marine is trying to weasel his way out of punishment and I would leave a note about it.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    Message the Marine commander and suggest they do another deployment with all remaining combat capable marines.

For the Xenos, some Queen Mother messages about how they have to attack the metal hive to secure their survival.

Alternatively, if there was an admin on, I would ask one of them for help in perhaps calling in an ERT or something to get things moving again.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Ask them why they did this, they could have made a genuine mistake. If they are outright being malicious, IC I would have them arrested for Marine Law violations. If it was judged as griefing, I would look at getting those marines ahealed so that they were no longer permanently dead. It is not fair to them to be unable to play due to the actions of a bad medic.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    Explain to the CLF Player that it is not End of Round Griefing for factions that are enemies to continue killing each other. If it was a CLF member shooting another CLF member or a marine shooting a marine, then it qualifies as End of Round Griefing which is against the rules.

Otherwise, take no action besides clarifying the rules for the player.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    Investigate the situation, if this Marine is doing just that, have the MPs arrest him for violation of Marine Law. Heal all injured marines and make sure their equipment is returned.

Talk to the player doing this, if this is their first offense, a reminder of the rules and some brig time IC. If it was a repeat offense, probably a big note and a ban of some duration to make sure order is enforced.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Inappropriate escalation of force. Though if the other marine is randomly punching people, then he needs a punishment as well for violation of Marine Law.

It depends on the details of the situation, if the other marine was randomly punching people, he will still get revived but

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    Message the one leading the mutiny and ask them to stand down. Remind them that there is rules for a mutiny and not following them can have OOC consequences.

If they refuse to listen and escalate, confer with any other staff online about handling it either IC or OOC.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    I would message the player making the remarks and remind them of the rules. Racism is expressly forbidden. Roleplaying or not, it doesn't matter. Depending on how they responded, I would consider it a warning and not put any notes on their file.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Intentional griefing, permanent ban that they will have to appeal with a note explaining the situation. All killed marines will be ahealed and damage repaired. Try and get the round flowing again as quickly as possible to avoid major interruption.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Message them and ask them to explain their actions. Remind them of proper roleplaying. Though depending on their notes, if this is a common behavior, a ban of some duration may be appropriate.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    Give them a warning, per the rules, they get one warning about this. If this is their second offense, they get a 3 hour ban for their actions per the current rules posted on the forums.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    Per the rules, it is not an issue. The Xeno hivemend is just translating thoughts to readable English. Explain to the player that they can use the 'xeno slang' if they prefer. But it is not an enforced rule at the moment.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    Check to see if there is an event going on that allows the marines to know about the Xenos ahead of time. If not, message the command staff player and talk to them about the situation. Reiterate the rules if needed that while the Marines know that Xenomorphs exist and are a threat, they don't know why the colony has gone dark.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    Warn the player who killed the other that this is against marine law and the rules of the server. Add a note to his file and caution him not to do it again.

Admin heal the killed marine and let him at least go down fighting against the aliens if it is still appropriate.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    Politely ask them to stop. If they don't, then some punishment may be in order. The rules currently do not list what is or is not appropriate punishments. So I would have to refer to what those may be.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    As far as I know, this doesn't violate the rules in anyway. If the player went SSD while in a combat zone, that is on them. I would explain that to the player and tell them that this isn't a rules violation of any kind and nothing will be done.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    Speak with them privately about the problem and let them know what the right information or correct ruling is. Never escalate this sort of thing in the general chat.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I would consider the situation and offer my view on the matter as calmly and non confrontational as possible. If it devolves into a harsher argument, I would suggest they kick the issue up the chain and let a higher authority make a ruling rather than argue about it.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    To help keep CM a fun community to play in for myself and others. I only applied because I saw one of the moderators posting that they were looking for more people. I am willing to put in some time to help out this community for all the enjoyment I have gotten out of it.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Being unbiased and fair. You can't let personal feelings color your judgements or decisions. To steal a quote "Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side and the truth."

Anything else you
    Nothing much, been an Alien series fan for a long time. Aliens is my favorite action/horror movie of all time. And SS13 is surprisingly fun considering how old it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    If this is their first offense, I would talk to them and see what explanation they have. However, if this is something they have done in the past, I would likely lean towards a ban of some duration.

It could have been an accidental friendly fire incident and the MPs may be arresting him unreasonably.
    Even if it was an accidental friendly fire, MPs can still arrest him. The rest is fine.
    A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    Investigate the situation, talk to the predator and get their side of the story. Do my best to see if this was an Honor Code violation or not. If it was a violation of the Honor Code, then the predator must be held to account for their actions. Though I am currently unaware of what options I would have in that regard as a moderator.
    Whitelist violations, such as CO breaking guidelines and preds not obeying the honor code must be handled through player reports. Direct the player to the forums to write a player report, the respective council will look at it. It's usually a good idea to assist the player in making the player report, so it's okay to give him the predator's ckey.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Politely inform them that this is not appropriate behavior and that being escalated to a higher level is available but only if they are civil.

If they continued to be unreasonable, I would either escalate it anyway or look to apply a ban of some sorts. The escalation would depend on how serious the situation was. If it is them directly calling a member of staff out on some major issue, then it would be escalated to prevent any accusations of unfairness. If it was just a random request, it would not be.
    Good call on trying to deescalate the situation at first. Due to rule 0.2 you can escalate it into a ban for disrespect towards staff if he keeps on being disrespectful. We don't usually redirect ahelps to admin+ unless it's event-related or out of your jurisdiction, so don't do it. However, it's okay to ask another staff member to handle it if you feel like your emotions are getting in the way.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    Check with the marine in question to see if they have a reason for this name. Otherwise, it is an oddly generic name and doesn't really fit with the roleplay requirements in the rules. It should be changed.
    There is no reason for having a name that goes against rule 12 so it's a rule break even if the player wants to argue it. Remember to tell the player not to use this name again and apply a note. Mods have permission to change character names so you want to change it in this case.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    Message the CMP or MP and let them handle it in character unless it escalates. That seems like a marine law issue.
    It's an SoP issue so you want to leave it as an IC issue, right call on that. However, you don't want to message the CMP/MPs as this would be giving them information they don't have, characterizing it as metagaming. If you notice the player is consistently doing that every round, you may want to talk to them, as running around fully armed instead of doing their job is breaking RP guidelines.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    First thing, check with the MP and get their side of the story. If it was really just sneaking into Requisitions, then permanent confinement is not an appropriate punishment. If they are guilty of other crimes, than the marine is trying to weasel his way out of punishment and I would leave a note about it.
    Not necessarily true, as the marine might be guilty of other crimes and still not be punishable for permanent confinement. If what the player is stating is true, you want to apply a note or a job ban to the MP, depending on past warnings. MPs must follow the marine law, so knowingly applying incorrect charges is borderline grief.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    Message the Marine commander and suggest they do another deployment with all remaining combat capable marines.

For the Xenos, some Queen Mother messages about how they have to attack the metal hive to secure their survival.

Alternatively, if there was an admin on, I would ask one of them for help in perhaps calling in an ERT or something to get things moving again.
    Good answer. If the round is stagnating but is not stagnated yet, you might want to leave it as an IC issue for a while. If it persists then you should intervene.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Ask them why they did this, they could have made a genuine mistake. If they are outright being malicious, IC I would have them arrested for Marine Law violations. If it was judged as griefing, I would look at getting those marines ahealed so that they were no longer permanently dead. It is not fair to them to be unable to play due to the actions of a bad medic.
    Some things are wrong with this answer. You NEVER want to deal with situations in which you are involved. So the right thing to do in this situation is asking a fellow staff member to handle it. Now looking at your answer from the perspective of who is handling it, mods can't get someone arrested, if it's an IC issue and the player should get arrested, leave it to the MPs. Don't intervene.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    Investigate the situation, if this Marine is doing just that, have the MPs arrest him for violation of Marine Law. Heal all injured marines and make sure their equipment is returned.

Talk to the player doing this, if this is their first offense, a reminder of the rules and some brig time IC. If it was a repeat offense, probably a big note and a ban of some duration to make sure order is enforced.
    This might be ruled as round start shenanigans depending on the situation. If he is just messing with some people, leave it as an IC situation. However, if the player is stealing important gear or starting big fights, send a PM and tell him what he's doing wrong after that go apply a warning, escalate if necessary. Here is a VERY important piece of information, if you leave something as an IC issue, don't aheal or intervene. Also as mentioned above, you can't mobilize MPs to arrest someone for you.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Inappropriate escalation of force. Though if the other marine is randomly punching people, then he needs a punishment as well for violation of Marine Law.

It depends on the details of the situation, if the other marine was randomly punching people, he will still get revived but
    What punishment? Is anyone getting a note? It's improper escalation so you want to talk and warn the player, escalate into a ban depending on past notes. It's very important to track rule breaks so never be afraid to apply a note. MPs are responsible for handling out Marine Law punishments, not staff members.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    Message the one leading the mutiny and ask them to stand down. Remind them that there is rules for a mutiny and not following them can have OOC consequences.

If they refuse to listen and escalate, confer with any other staff online about handling it either IC or OOC.
    Overall you got this answer right. About leaving it either IC or OOC; it's a rule break, so you don't want to leave it as an IC issue. You want to make it clear the mutiny wasn't allowed by staff, so remember to use MOOC (OOC chat but only for marines). Your objective is to contain the mutiny ASAP so after the MOOC announcement, send a PM to involved marines telling them to stop, asleep them if necessary. Notes might be applied or not, it depends on the situation. So for example, after sending a MOOC announcement most marines left the mutiny but there is still 3 marines shooting at CIC doors, you might want to warn them.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    I would message the player making the remarks and remind them of the rules. Racism is expressly forbidden. Roleplaying or not, it doesn't matter. Depending on how they responded, I would consider it a warning and not put any notes on their file.
    As you said, racism is expressly forbidden, so don't forget to note them. A verbal warning isn't enough.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Intentional griefing, permanent ban that they will have to appeal with a note explaining the situation. All killed marines will be ahealed and damage repaired. Try and get the round flowing again as quickly as possible to avoid major interruption.
    Good answer. The only thing wrong about it is straight-up escalating to a permanent ban. You want to check their past notes and ban based on that. A very lengthy ban should be applied regardless of notes.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Message them and ask them to explain their actions. Remind them of proper roleplaying. Though depending on their notes, if this is a common behavior, a ban of some duration may be appropriate.
    Good answer. Just some notes, this situation is not LRP, it's suicide. After that apply a note, if there is already a previous note about suicide as Xeno, go for a job ban. The proper usage of job bans isn't well known to members who are not in staff so no problems with this answer.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    Check to see if there is an event going on that allows the marines to know about the Xenos ahead of time. If not, message the command staff player and talk to them about the situation. Reiterate the rules if needed that while the Marines know that Xenomorphs exist and are a threat, they don't know why the colony has gone dark.
    Don't forget to apply a note.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    Warn the player who killed the other that this is against marine law and the rules of the server. Add a note to his file and caution him not to do it again.

Admin heal the killed marine and let him at least go down fighting against the aliens if it is still appropriate.
    Tricky situation. This requires an investigation so don't jump to conclusions. Punishments depend on the context, if the marine roleplayed properly a life or death situation, I would let him go with no warnings. Marine law in practice isn't enforced when the xenos hijack. Going to a more practical answer; if I see this happening as the question asked, I'd leave it alone unless someone ahelps about it.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    Politely ask them to stop. If they don't, then some punishment may be in order. The rules currently do not list what is or is not appropriate punishments. So I would have to refer to what those may be.
    Refer to rule 0.2, an appropriate punishment would be a note after talking to him. If the player still doesn't stop, apply a 3 hours ban for him to calm down. Nice answer.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I would consider the situation and offer my view on the matter as calmly and non confrontational as possible. If it devolves into a harsher argument, I would suggest they kick the issue up the chain and let a higher authority make a ruling rather than argue about it.
    Very good answer. Keep it civil. You might want to message the mod manager yourself if things escalate.

I'm unable to check your current playtime for now so I ask for another staff member to look it up.

To be honest, I'm not very pleased with this app. Mostly because of the major mistakes of your answers such as ruling something IC issue and partially applying OOC measures, or talking about marine law as something you must enforce. However, before giving my vote I'd like to see how you handle some custom questions. I'll probably send it later if nobody does it.

Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have much to add to Bibiex analysis so far, though I'm generally positive. But. Let's do some questions and see how everyone feels afterwards. Good luck!

1: You notice dchat screeching about a griefing PO. And, indeed, you see he generated a lot of FF-logs with a fatty dropped right, or very close to, the FOB, and a strafing run that completely blunted a push by the marines. What do you do?

2: The CO executes Delta SL in the middle of the Briefing because Delta SL sprayed the CO with pepperspray and then stole Jones, which the CO was wearing as a hat. A giant brawl erupts. Two MPs are beaten to death. The CO BEs 3 more deltas before Delta Spec takes him out with a SADAR. What do you do?

3: A researcher creates a Corrupt Hive (can be done by research without any staff involvement) and then orders the corrupt queen and her brood to kill the MPs and CIC staff so he can take over the Almeyer. The Corrupt Queen begins doing exactly that. What do you do?

4: An agent blows up the CIC wall behind the overwatch consoles with C4, destroying two consoles and killing an SO in the process. The MP never manage to figure out who did it. The agent did have the objective to destroy a wall in CIC. What do you do?
    Robert 'DangerZone' Hale and the incognito legion

FA-XXX-L5 (The D-Day Drone that never wants to be a Hivelord yet always winds up as one)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall, good answers as others have said. A few small hiccups but it's nothing that can't be ironed out during your trial period. That one about the situation that includes yourself, that's a big one, but Bibi already touched up on it. +1

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FortyPercent View Post
    I don't have much to add to Bibiex analysis so far, though I'm generally positive. But. Let's do some questions and see how everyone feels afterwards. Good luck!

1: You notice dchat screeching about a griefing PO. And, indeed, you see he generated a lot of FF-logs with a fatty dropped right, or very close to, the FOB, and a strafing run that completely blunted a push by the marines. What do you do?

2: The CO executes Delta SL in the middle of the Briefing because Delta SL sprayed the CO with pepperspray and then stole Jones, which the CO was wearing as a hat. A giant brawl erupts. Two MPs are beaten to death. The CO BEs 3 more deltas before Delta Spec takes him out with a SADAR. What do you do?

3: A researcher creates a Corrupt Hive (can be done by research without any staff involvement) and then orders the corrupt queen and her brood to kill the MPs and CIC staff so he can take over the Almeyer. The Corrupt Queen begins doing exactly that. What do you do?

4: An agent blows up the CIC wall behind the overwatch consoles with C4, destroying two consoles and killing an SO in the process. The MP never manage to figure out who did it. The agent did have the objective to destroy a wall in CIC. What do you do?
    Waiting for those to be answered before I give my input. Bibiex has already corrected a majority of your hiccups, so I'll remain neutral until Forty's questions are taken care of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upon reflection, I don't think I yet know enough to be a good moderator. Thank you for your time, but I will withdraw my application and perhaps apply again in the future.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Withdrawn by the applicant. Feel free to re-apply in 30 days.
    Mentor 1st Mar, 2020 - 11th Apr, 2020
    Trial Moderator 11th Apr, 2020 - 23rd Apr, 2020
    Moderator 23rd Apr, 2020 - 31st Aug, 2020
    Senior Moderator 31st Aug, 2020 - 8th Oct, 2020
    Trial Administrator 8th Oct, 2020 - 6th Nov, 2020
    Administrator 6th Nov, 2020 - 21st Feb, 2021
    Moderator Manager 21st Feb, 2021 - 11th Jul, 2021
    Administrator Manager 11th Jul, 2021 - 8th Aug, 2021

Administrator 12th Oct, 2022 - Present