Thread: Current meta is not great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Current meta is not great.

20 minutes of prep.
    Land on planet.
    10 minutes later the FOB is under siege.
    20 minutes later and the distress been launched.

Every game is xenos waiting 'just far enough' from the FOB to not count as FOB camping, then zerg the FOB before it's finished.
    Cades fall way to fast now. Rav's a better tank than the crusher with it's shields. Queens has no reason not to be on the front line with all the changes to evolution. Engie supplies are way to sparse, especially on low pop. Since now every door has to be 3 wide for the vehicle you just don't have enough platesteel to make layered defenses anymore.
    Games are just going to quickly now.
    Last edited by Balance Asshat; 01-03-2021 at 07:09 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance Asshat View Post
    20 minutes of prep.
    Land on planet.
    10 minutes later the FOB is under siege.

Every game is xenos waiting 'just far enough' from the FOB to not count as FOB camping, then zerg the FOB before it's finished.
    Cades fall way to fast now. Rav's a better tank than the crusher with it's shields. Queens has no reason not to be on the front line with all the changes to evolution. Engie supplies are way to sparse, especially on low pop. Since now every door has to be 3 wide for the vehicle you just don't have enough platesteel to make layered defenses anymore.
    Games are just going to quickly now.
    I agree that low pop has issues with being rushed.

I do think that a lot of that could be solved by marines filling up things like sandbags at low pop and taking down portable cades. Although I do think sandbags should be streamlined as they are pretty tedious to fill (click spam simulator) and they are unavailable to use on prison which is an issue. (Add some dirt on prison LZ or even shipside, )

I think we are probably in need of some tweaks with Req, stuff like mortar ammo is expensive as hell, as to be effective they need to fire two at a time. Flares mortars should probably just come free with ammo box bought).

The fact that people are scrapping the ships chairs, gables and whatnot, pre drop shows that materials are suffering due to Req and the meta.

Lowpop unfortunately often gets left in the dust as it's not really seen as the "balance population", and it's generally low visibility. An issue which occurs with 200 population is usually gonna be fixed before one with 90 players on.

The good news is, combat queen is now higher risk now although T3s specifically seem to be a little too tanky for my liking.
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attempting to play defensive has been gutted a hell of a lot, realistically the only defensive playstyle that has been improved is xeno's, Walls became slashable by pretty much everything and are practically made of paper, cades feel ridiculously weak and while I know strong cades lead to marine just hiding behind them all the time marines have lost most if not all of their defensive options, Claymores? They suck ass can't even stun a drone for a marine two tiles away to PB it, Memedoors? Good luck using them with other marines around, xeno's just going to bypass them anyway, then your left with OT made shit which is a flip if it's good, cades which are only there to slightly delay anything and your sentry's which are the only semi decent part of your equipment.

frankly I'm hoping someone takes a look at engineering in general in the new future as it's been heavily gutted for lag removal reasons or balance reasons( E-grills and girder spam)

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walls are fucking trash and xenos slashing or otherwise breaking them leads to about 30% of lost fobs

The other 70% are typically from trapper spam demolishing cades so hard that you either have to push out and dislodge it (nigh suicide) or have a synth welding.

I agree that fob is camped almost every single game by xenos right now. Marines rarely will have a chance to push out a significant amount before encountering xenos, and the sheer amount of bullshit they are allowed to get away with is mind blowing. Combat queen on LZ at 12:25? We got a MOOC saying because first drop ended at 12:22 it was okay. That's three minutes to prepare. three fucking minutes for about 5 engineers to prepare a full FoB defence and secure every flank while dealing with the xenos half a screen away in canteen. It's just not fair or fun.

I remember when marine metarushes were really heavily countered by admins. Abombs and cave ins, radiation waves, mass moocs. If marines metaed they got PUNISHED. now xenos seem to meta every round and the worst they get is an xooc saying to stop. In my opinion we need to stop this "xenos can't meta" bullshit and start making xenos afraid to LZ camp. I asked this in the town hall and was essentially told it would get fixed by techwebs but that is whoever knows however long away. LZ camp is a major problem and it needs to get fixed fast
    Last edited by Stan_albatross; 01-05-2021 at 10:28 AM.
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all due to the removal of the maturation mechanics.

Aliens for the longest time had to wait and if the game went to 1hour they get elder and then start to really dunk of the marines. This didn't push marines to rush though, they were just bored asf and did it anyway. With maturation gone aliens got nothing to do but attack the marines, before they just tabbed out and watched a video till it was go time otherwise. EVEN FURTHER BACK! Maturation would've had young even worthy to fight.

Maturation was meant to be the xeno nuke and force marines to push or die to ancient aliens but it was neutered years ago and never fixed and thus causing all sorts of issue as the game design has been out of wonk for a long while.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many buffs, debuffs, tweaks, and twerks have been made in the last year or two to weapons and units however, engineering has been largely Gutted and left to die on the side of the road to be eaten by carrion untouched. It really isn't a surprise that the defensive game is in free fall.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance Asshat View Post

Funnily enough, my last 8-10 rounds in the last few days were all marine wins. Every single time. Maybe it has to do that I mostly play on high pop.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    It all due to the removal of the maturation mechanics.
    Correct. To this day I have no idea why did they changed it. It added variety, extra tactics and reasons to risk or not risk attacking early. They gutted it for no reason. I played plenty as xeno and it was fun if you actually survived until ancient, even as survivors it was an added important layer to move fast before they mature. Why the hell they removed it???

And yes engi needs a rework, even just for a change. Xeno got weak weeds? Give us weak barricades than for 2 metal that can be built fast. I know we got handrail+metal, but that's literally worthless. Would be good to rework it a bit as engi is quite boring now to be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solidfury7 View Post
    T3s specifically seem to be a little too tanky for my liking.
    A few games ago I watched a rav charge the cades solo, pop shield, start slashing a barbed cade, get stunned by a HEFA at it's feet, then run away. All while being shot by 8+ marines with various weapons. By all rights that should be a death sentence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's what i found as flaws in CM during my stay, its mostly marine sided because i only played marine, so take it with a grain of salt:

almayer is too big, if you have to walk through a lot of halls to get to one important spot to another, then something is wrong.

shipside roles have little to no depth (MT, CE, SO, MP, CT) I call these 'Disposable roles' because they dont matter at all, I never understood the point of agents besides of just being a common nuisance, they aren't impactful enough for players to actually play as them, if a role isn't fun to play, then dont bother adding it at all.

MPs are in a wacky position, they aren't that great to play as and with.

Command still useless (this is gonna be fixed with techwebs thankfully) because of following point:

Maps are uninspired (except kutjevo) most of them are designed around chokes which all lead to one spot, making each round the same shit, one of the charms of ss13 is that something different can happend each round, but CM is the opposite

flanks marine side are useless because xenos can easily overpower 10 ungas with enough time and patience, not enough incentive in doing something different besides of murderballing

Skills are partially a bad mechanic, it forces people to depend on others which makes it really annoying when you depend on people who isn't competent enough in performing essential actions, it reminds me of tf2's gameplay design, where you can have fun individually without depending on a medic or engineer to have the full experience, i dont mean that marines have to be lone killers, but the individual experience is lackluster and whenever you die you may say 'this medic OD'd me' or 'engineer forgot to set cades so we lost FOB' or 'Basically SADAR used an OT rocket and hit a runner'

Elephant of the room is: size of the server, balancing the game around 200 people is already pretty hard, but at the same time from these 200 people you'll only actually know like 2 or 4, get what my problem is? You are trying to enfatize teamwork in a game with no comradeship, in a game where no one really knows each other and there's no real attachment besides of 'this guy is a spec' or 'this guy is a T3'

tldr: make the game fun on an individual scale
    Vibing as: Dismas Hind.

THE BOIS (And gals)
    https://pastebin.com/DHCmg4nM

Shoutouts to Manezinho for the pixelart