Thread: Current meta is not great.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Me_Bigsnail View Post
    SNIP something something MP's
    MP's are hated and relegated to the dustbin because all they can do is focus their attention on the standards on the ship. There are no true antagonists onboard to deal with, and Xeno's of course can't be arrested nor do any of the MP's passive tools work on them. And even with the introduction of agents, they don't have any true impact on the ship or round, which mean's the MP's are left to deal with wet, paper bags.

If the Almayer had systems and controls that mattered, like it did back in the day, then agent's/antags screwing around with them would contribute to the round. Subsequently, the MP's would have something to do other than kick deltards in the balls for giggles.

Taking a cleaver to the various depth mechanics that make SS13 as deep and rich as it is, has had a cascading effect on multiple areas of gameplay. I was never a proponent of it, and it was main thing that led to me retiring. It was infuriating to see medical, engineering, atmos, et cetera ripped out or castrated to placate a playstyle which, imo, doesn't work well in this medium.

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
    MP's are hated and relegated to the dustbin because all they can do is focus their attention on the standards on the ship. There are no true antagonists onboard to deal with, and Xeno's of course can't be arrested nor do any of the MP's passive tools work on them. And even with the introduction of agents, they don't have any true impact on the ship or round, which mean's the MP's are left to deal with wet, paper bags.

If the Almayer had systems and controls that mattered, like it did back in the day, then agent's/antags screwing around with them would contribute to the round. Subsequently, the MP's would have something to do other than kick deltards in the balls for giggles.

Taking a cleaver to the various depth mechanics that make SS13 as deep and rich as it is, has had a cascading effect on multiple areas of gameplay. I was never a proponent of it, and it was main thing that led to me retiring. It was infuriating to see medical, engineering, atmos, et cetera ripped out or castrated to placate a playstyle which, imo, doesn't work well in this medium.
    I agree, although, some systems like atmos seem like they'll be too much for the server to handle. However, if you think we've lost lots of legacy mechanics just try playing on TGMC. You can't even deconstruct windows on TGMC. Man I am still annoyed at that, I just wanted to build a bar.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a CO I only see doing a megafob as a viable strategy lowpop/medpop.

Why?

Because I don't loose 30 odd marines pushing against 3 ravs and a couple of support castes and encourages and a slow and methodical style of gameplay, does everyone like it? No, of course not but as a CO my priority is to ensure a marine victory not rush the hive with 50+ marine deaths and a hijack (which isn't very fun).

tldr: megafob is the best strategy
    Chaotic puppet-master from hell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being the most popular SS13 server, Grey tide and Ssethers ruined this server, with the low RP and constant memes (it might be funny once in awhile, not every round with the same shit). When the population was a cool 120 on average it wasn't so large that it became impossible to remember people or have fun (because of map design trying to squeeze marines into tight corridors with the current 200 pop it is not fun design and never will be). I can't speak for everyone who started playing back in 2015 or 2016, but I doubt anyone from that timeframe still plays CM regularly in its current state.

Also seems like at some point any moderation of standards went to hell a few years ago and became the current bald tier level of the average COD lobby somehow became the norm (might have to do with the fact the server is so large and attracts wrong type of people now and moderators can only do so much). I also noticed the slow methodical style of rounds went out of style and 1 hour rounds with half of that time being prep is now the average player experience for marines (which has always had more people play than Xenos and always will). At some point I asked why was I playing a bad shooter TDM when any other multiplayer game does that better than CM, who finds this fun is a question I still ask myself.

The same problems CM had years ago with meta-rushing from both sides has only gotten worse over time and no design corrections seem to be on the horizon either (making the game a MOBA is only going to make this worse), somewhere along the way CM lost sight of its strengths and while it has gotten more popular it just keeps getting worse to play. Who would have guessed popularity doesn't always equate to better or more fun?

Still waiting for someone to make a classic CM server with 2016-2017 mechanics and to improve on it from there, sadly I guess I'll have to keep dreaming.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trench007 View Post
    Being the most popular SS13 server, Grey tide and Ssethers ruined this server, with the low RP and constant memes (it might be funny once in awhile, not every round with the same shit). When the population was a cool 120 on average it wasn't so large that it became impossible to remember people or have fun (because of map design trying to squeeze marines into tight corridors with the current 200 pop it is not fun design and never will be). I can't speak for everyone who started playing back in 2015 or 2016, but I doubt anyone from that timeframe still plays CM regularly in its current state.

Also seems like at some point any moderation of standards went to hell a few years ago and became the current bald tier level of the average COD lobby somehow became the norm (might have to do with the fact the server is so large and attracts wrong type of people now and moderators can only do so much). I also noticed the slow methodical style of rounds went out of style and 1 hour rounds with half of that time being prep is now the average player experience for marines (which has always had more people play than Xenos and always will). At some point I asked why was I playing a bad shooter TDM when any other multiplayer game does that better than CM, who finds this fun is a question I still ask myself.

The same problems CM had years ago with meta-rushing from both sides has only gotten worse over time and no design corrections seem to be on the horizon either (making the game a MOBA is only going to make this worse), somewhere along the way CM lost sight of its strengths and while it has gotten more popular it just keeps getting worse to play. Who would have guessed popularity doesn't always equate to better or more fun?

Still waiting for someone to make a classic CM server with 2016-2017 mechanics and to improve on it from there, sadly I guess I'll have to keep dreaming.
    I can speak to the issue on the staff not enforcing RP standards.

When I was still on the staff team there was a lot of pressure on us to properly enforce the RP standards, unfortunately the way in which the development of the server was going made it difficult for us to to do. When the direction of the server is (and was) catering to the LRP/COD playerbase, it makes for enforcing any level of RP difficult if not outright impossible. Every once a while we were told by management (Not the devs) that we will be enforcing RP, unfortunately no one on the front lines felt entirely comfortable in doing so as it meant trying to deal with a culture that had already become engrained and dozens of players that had cemented themselves within the community. How do you stop a tidal wave with a bucket? How do you uproot a tree with a spoon?

Edit: In the end those of that truly, deeply cared for RP ended up leaving, though it wasn't the only reason why we left. You can probably count on one hand how many of the old guard are left.
    Last edited by RobBrown4PM; 01-04-2021 at 11:58 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was still on the staff team there was a lot of pressure on us to properly enforce the RP standards, unfortunately the way in which the development of the server was going made it difficult for us to to do. When the direction of the server is (and was) catering to the LRP/COD playerbase, it makes for enforcing any level of RP difficult if not outright impossible. Every once a while we were told by management (Not the devs) that we will be enforcing RP, unfortunately no one on the front lines felt entirely comfortable in doing so as it meant trying to deal with a culture that had already become engrained and dozens of players that had cemented themselves within the community. How do you stop a tidal wave with a bucket? How do you uproot a tree with a spoon?
    Oh hey, it's that horse that I've been beating dead for awhile now.

It's almost like stripping the soul out of a game in favor of a linear shooter will degrade the games integrity and shift the playerbases mentality to the bare necessities of "point, click, pew".
    But in all seriousness, you can't enforce rules for a game thats actively promoting the players to do the opposite.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post
    Oh hey, it's that horse that I've been beating dead for awhile now.

It's almost like stripping the soul out of a game in favor of a linear shooter will degrade the games integrity and shift the playerbases mentality to the bare necessities of "point, click, pew".
    But in all seriousness, you can't enforce rules for a game thats actively promoting the players to do the opposite.
    Unfortunately that horse got hit with the time vortex and is incapable of dying.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately that horse got hit with the time vortex and is incapable of dying.
    Horse has been obliterated and we are beating it's dam atoms at this point

CM has become a crappy COD with all it features stripped and hard to tell if the tech web will make it worse or better. Probably will solve nothing as a massive issue just alone is the destruction of capture cycle, removal of strong sticky making it very easy to rush as nothing really stops a rush of marines but sticky that took flame or 10 clicks to destroy really slowed them down, and biggest issue currently being the death of maturation leading to aliens rushing while they got the numbers. I mean aliens could just let marines build up and then sucide on some cades or get lucky and get captures so they can sucide as a runner on some cades. Aliens lose the late game, if they go for too long either admemes or dead bodies will give them nuke so trying to constantly build up is not really in the equation and if they give up too much land the marines might rush the intel and it gg. It was more crazier and fun when you were fighting some potentially OP aliens but if they messed up they could die also, felt like anyone could be a champion if they tried instead of having to get a tier 3 or spec to do jackshit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss those times too, doesn't help that with our increasing population we decided to strip everything just so Unga Bunga #200 in our 200 + pop rounds could do so with less lag (though it still lags too much, but at least we got those 0.01% performance calibrations right).

If I was in charge of the server when it was getting stuffed with the COD kiddos I would have upped standards and made combat more hardcore and punishing to discourage brain dead playing and they would have gone back to COD were they belonged. Instead like the Western Roman Empire we integrated with the barbarians to the point where they outnumbered us, so now we no longer have the original CM but the one overrun and lying in ruins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello guys
    I do not speak up here very often but in this specific topic i would like to offer my opinion

First of all i would like to say, that i think most people going a little bit too off topic, talking about how CM was good, and now it's only meta etc. I don't think this topic is about that and i don't think it has anything with the subject at all. Weird meta things were happening before the SSeth tide/Population of 150-200 players and will probably keep happening if the player base will sink down it has nothing to do with the player count, and divide people like Old people = RP and Good and New people = Meta/Memes Bad is hurting a community as the whole.

Back to the Topic at hand. I started this subject on CM discord as well, and was told that "This is how Xenos needs to do if they want to win", and i think whole LZ camping meta is really really bad and is very very bad. I understand the argue of fighting from the both sides, but as somebody on this topic already said correctly this is meta rush 2.0 Xenos Edition and should be cracked down upon by the admins. I don't think any things should have been changed in game directly more like placing the correct rule, or just enforcing this publicly. Camping the LZ makes round make shorter then PB range, and its destroying the game for whole IO team which cannot leaves the LZ for intel and similar to that the gameplay for researcher who cannot receive any intel stuff.
    I think a rule of metarushing should be applied to this topic as soon as possible.