User Tag List

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Current meta is not great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real meta is using a scoped silenced L42 to "accidentially" shoot other marines during fights

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattAtlas View Post
    I don't really think tech-webs will fix the problems we face. They feel like a bandaid path rather than a comprehensive fix.

Something else I've noticed is that rounds feel hollow because the RP just isn't there. No, I'm not talking about paragraphs and paragraphs of /me text or whatever - I'm talking about the little things, the interactions between characters, in-character squad banter. All of these were stripped away because of the game's diluition into little more than a TDM shooter on a shitty engine, leading to a situation where you deploy -> kill or die. Over and over again, with no round story or interactions to look forward. The fault here lies with both staff and dev, and I will entirely concede I haphazardly started this trend myself with the 50/50 winrates I ardently advocated for as a dev and squad req, which I consider to be good for gameplay but bad for roleplay. I should've foreseen these things.

Focus needs to be reshifted towards lengthening rounds and allowing genuine IC RP to take place. For that, we unfortunately need timesinks. Places in-round where RP is derived because there's nothing else to do with that time. I've started to think of req lines as a necessary evil.

Also permanesting is terrible.
    I wouldn't put much (if any) blame on developers. It's a team deathmatch game (there are two teams: humans and xenomorphs, and nothing you'll ever say will ever change the fact that this is how it is), and even then, player relations and interactions have more than enough room to occur. The roleplay you mention has been almost destroyed by recent policies outlawing banter and anything that doesn't conform to PG-13 movie action character dialogue. It has become a mediocre hugbox at best and people would rather sit AFK on the dropship instead of shitposting and playing around ingame because of the ever so present danger of being noted (not a punishment btw!!) or banned. Player-created slang such as *hokepoint *oiler *orture or roney were cut down among others, for example. Many such cases!

Unless you're speaking about ERP, then you'll be content to hear that borderline ERP isn't an uncommon sight at all.
    Last edited by Kot; 01-07-2021 at 01:22 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree with the notion that timesinks create interactions/RP, as even back in the days, those same timesinks will just result in people alt-tabbing.

Since the thread is about the current meta, I'll simply say that the meta right now is fine aside from defender which could use a small nerf. Each spec has a niche, each T3 fulfills a specific need for the hive. T3s don't own all the power, and you can very often just win the skirmish with T1s and T2s and only needing T3s for the FOB siege. Marine weapons are eh. They do damage, but since marine players don't really have a visual notice/alert of a xeno's health, which makes those weapons seem useless. Trust me, this is the least buckshot-centric meta yet. QF or BC M41 are viable, M39 is viable, L42 will be soon, shotgun has always been viable. I have minor issues with CAS/mortar still being bugged with their sound sometimes (and sure, pylons stop them but you can't always expect good game sense out of every drone player) but they give alert in chat now so it's not as big of an issue.

Really the biggest problem I have right now, and it'll make me sound very douchy, is that player skill has dropped off the cliff. For all the talk about how the game has gone full TDM and how there's no RP, and how there're only sweaty tryhards left, this is the first time for a long while that I feel like I can't rely on anyone to have my back aside from maybe 10 names (last time was ssethtide but new players are new for a reason). But that's player's issues, not the game's.

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kot View Post

Unless you're speaking about ERP, then you'll be content to hear that borderline ERP isn't an uncommon sight at all.
    Are you sure about that
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DefinitelyAlone0309 View Post

Really the biggest problem I have right now, and it'll make me sound very douchy, is that player skill has dropped off the cliff.
    Totally disagree. When you could BP a defender 2 times or run after any T1 T2 with an AP kitted out SMG and kill it 1 year ago, but today a defender needs 6 PB...and STILL walks away that has nothing to do with skill level, it has to do with nerfing everything.

Also I keep mentioning this, but I think defender specifically is bugged. I swear to God they wanted to buff explosive resistance but accidentally they buffed ALL resistance. Last few days I kept watching them as ghost on zoomed out - no darkness view...Well hot damn, taking 4 SG fire for 30 sec directly while getting shot by 5 other marines is NOT normal. Go ahead and observe them. When you see a crusher and rav dying 3x faster as a defender that is NOT normal. And leave me with the AP ammo. The same marines were shooting the T3s and either got a kill or made them retreat in 10 sec, but that T1 is freaking immortal. I'm telling you it's bugged.

But still, weapons do no damage, I can't see if the xeno is at 100% hp or at 5%. Why not?? Why can't they make them LOOK injured like on any other server? Why can't they shake from a brutal hit?

Sometimes I feel like devs purposefully remove things that would make the game fun for no reason I can imagine. What they achieve is forcing people to abuse game mechanics to get a kill and THAT is NOT fun for either side.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt timesinks can improve anything RP wise, it's up to the playerbase to actually RP and not alt tab. Just look at Bravo over the last year. Not much RP to be found there, most just roam around alone or afk.

CM's RP and atmosphere was always largely derived from the old cult of personality/metagang culture and most people who participated in that left after the armor rework. I doubt anything will change unless you somehow manage to bring them back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix it again Tony View Post
    Totally disagree. When you could BP a defender 2 times or run after any T1 T2 with an AP kitted out SMG and kill it 1 year ago, but today a defender needs 6 PB...and STILL walks away that has nothing to do with skill level, it has to do with nerfing everything.

Also I keep mentioning this, but I think defender specifically is bugged. I swear to God they wanted to buff explosive resistance but accidentally they buffed ALL resistance. Last few days I kept watching them as ghost on zoomed out - no darkness view...Well hot damn, taking 4 SG fire for 30 sec directly while getting shot by 5 other marines is NOT normal. Go ahead and observe them. When you see a crusher and rav dying 3x faster as a defender that is NOT normal. And leave me with the AP ammo. The same marines were shooting the T3s and either got a kill or made them retreat in 10 sec, but that T1 is freaking immortal. I'm telling you it's bugged.

But still, weapons do no damage, I can't see if the xeno is at 100% hp or at 5%. Why not?? Why can't they make them LOOK injured like on any other server? Why can't they shake from a brutal hit?

Sometimes I feel like devs purposefully remove things that would make the game fun for no reason I can imagine. What they achieve is forcing people to abuse game mechanics to get a kill and THAT is NOT fun for either side.
    I specifically pointed out that defender could use a nerf. Toggle Crest and Fortify both give it too much free zoning pressure that marines can't really do anything about. Its basic tankiness really isn't much other than what those 2 abilities give it though, and it's received some nerfs since the past with headbutt no longer ignoring armor (back in early 2020) and base headbutt being only 1 tile range (late 2020).

Like you said, other T3s are dying to proper focus fire, which means that weapons are actually doing damage. SGs are shaky, because their full auto mode gives them MASSIVE accuracy debuff, to the point where you're not actually hitting shots. I've specifically observed an SG player and tried to count how many shots he'd land in an engagement while on full auto and the result is that outside of straight-up point-blank range, he just wasn't hitting. That also links into the whole "marines not having a visual notice/alert of xeno's health" thing too, because unless you specifically know about the accuracy debuff, you'll go entire round thinking that xenos are unkillable while in actuality your smartgun is just giga bugged.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DefinitelyAlone0309 View Post
    Like you said, other T3s are dying to proper focus fire, which means that weapons are actually doing damage. SGs are shaky, because their full auto mode gives them MASSIVE accuracy debuff, to the point where you're not actually hitting shots. I've specifically observed an SG player and tried to count how many shots he'd land in an engagement while on full auto and the result is that outside of straight-up point-blank range, he just wasn't hitting. That also links into the whole "marines not having a visual notice/alert of xeno's health" thing too, because unless you specifically know about the accuracy debuff, you'll go entire round thinking that xenos are unkillable while in actuality your smartgun is just giga bugged.
    I had the same discussion with a mod in-game. I KNOW SG has horrible falloff and inaccurate. Obviously. But I played the old and the new defender too many times, I felt immortal. Muh, maybe "skill dropped"...yeah sure. I play against it too many time, often with veterans and/or abusing game mechanics like shooting OT maxcaps to bounce in or other things that WOULD have killed any T3 after so much damage....nothing.

Final step was when I started watching them as a ghost. That confirmed. Theory here, numbers there, defender is WAY too powerful for a T1. If it would be a T3 I would not even care if it would have 3x as much HP. But as a shitty T1?? That thing might not have a punch, but for Gods sake give it a weakness. At least make him take 5-10x as much fire damage.

Worst thing is I know exactly how to abuse meta and I don't do it intentional as it ruins even MY fun. I know how to kill a RAV with double flathettes in 10 sec, I KNOW. So obviously I know the BASIC game mechanics. And that defender is bugged 100%.

The only way you will agree with me is to go ghost and observe 30-60 minutes. I you played yesterday after 2 brutal marine loss than Soro came. First few OB, CAS and mortar destroyed engineering multiple times.

It was literally the perfect place to observe the brokenness of a defender. We had about 20-40 marines pushing for a straight 20 minute non-stop. You could saw EXACTLY how much every caste can take during focus fire. You saw how a Rav could die in 15 sec when veterans shredded their armor and body blocked them in..and you also saw how a defender simply could not be killed by 20 marines shooting STRAIGHT at it with what ever they had. It's broken, end of story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    an idea how to make combat fun -
    1)make xenos and marines way more fragile
    2) remove Bica OD healing IB increase chance for organ and bone destruction and increase chance for delimb increase their effect. Also add back decap. And lower xenomorph healing
    3) spread out xeno power ower the board nerf T3s but add more T3 slots for example
    4)add back maturity so xenos loose something that can not be easily replaced when they die
    4)give purpouse for shipside roles- make OT able to mass produce interisting stuff but nerf them so he does not just make boring instakill nades but like... weed removal nades bombs with healing gas proximity nades you will figure out something. Point 2 will help doctors to have fun and techweb might help researchers
    5) make ALL guns good- pistols too and I mean good WITHOUT snowflake laodout
    6)revert OB to beacon stage and CAS to direct fire but remove pylons and hivecore
    give me more points and tell me what to remvoe so we can sumarize this theme
    Last edited by ban; 01-07-2021 at 12:02 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan_albatross View Post
    Are you sure about that
    yeah man just play for a week and you'll see the very noticeable characters I'm referring to. they seem to always go unpunished, but I guess saying "roney west" is a capital crime