Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stan_albatross - Moderator Application

Moderator Application

Personal Information

Byond ID?
    Stan_albatross

CM Character?
    Karl Karlsson, Maxwell (synth), Enhath'vot Guan-Dha (predator)

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    GMT +00

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    10-20

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    Being a discord volunteer is the closest thing I've come to being staff

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    frequently /vg/ station, TGMC, bay. Infrequently /tg/ station, NSV, Corp Merc, Eris, goonstation

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    nope apart from being a discord volunteer (quasi staff?)

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    nope, never been banned here

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    /tg/ station, 3 days for holding a grudge between rounds, and 2 weeks AI+cyborg job ban for valid hunting. Both of these around the start of 2020.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Yes

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    PM the player to see their side of the story (was it an accident? was it deliberate? was escalation followed? was it truly random?)
    accident -> player panel, check how long they've played, check notes, note or ban as appropriate (although neither of these will probably be needed, just a verbal warning to be more careful and turn the safety on (alt click) when on the ship
    escalation -> check notes, PM the other party, check logs to see if escalation actually was followed. Note or ban as appropriate
    neither (unescalated and on purpose) -> note check apply note or punishment as appropriate. Since this is a rule 4 break, it is rather severe.
    As for MPs, so long as they are not breaking any rules regarding the detainment (assuault charges require Ill intent to be valid, if it was an accident SM the MP to tell them that it was an accident maybe) it's okay

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    WL rules are not for moderators to enforce. Direct the player to make a player report on the forums, answer any questions they may have about it.

provide ckey of accused party as well.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    There's a SEA online -> SM the SEA and tell him that there's a lost player who needs some help.
    There isn't -> PM the player the quickstart guide, tell them to mhelp (ooc tab -> adminhelp -> gameplay/mechanical issue) if they have more questions.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    If it's getting excessive, check notes and note/ban based on past notes.
    Tell them they can file a staff report if they disagree with any ruling I have made.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    PM the player explaining how the name violates our naming rule (John doe is a pop-culture/famous/non-setting-friendly name), and after hearing why they picked the name and their general side of the story, offer to change it if they have a name in mind, if not mash randomname on them.
    check for previous notes regarding such and note/ban as well based on this. In this situation as they've broken a rule a note at the minimum will always get applied.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    IC issue (right now). MPs can handle it.

If it's obvious he is abandoning his job's duties (loading the OB and maintaining the ship) and preparing to deploy and be a PFC+, PM and ask for what exact reason he's got the gun and armour, if he's planning to deploy off the bat and gun down xenos, explain how this breaks rule 2 on the deployment section, as he has not actually deployed only apply a note/ban if he states it was his intention to deploy. MTs may deploy to help around with the FOB so if this was his intention there's no problem here.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Hostile survivors aren't allowed. The grace period to learn about this change is LONG over, so after hearing the survivor's side of the story it'll be a note/jban/ban depending on previous notes and bans.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    First PM the mp and witnesses to check if this was the reason for the perma-brigging.

If the stories differ then check logs to find out what actually happened.

If this was the reason, then it's an MP breaking ML, since theft is not a crime that carries a permabrig sentence

I'd check with the player if they did anything else, then if the MP has broken marine law via the pbrigging, note or ban them depending on previous notes - MPs have to follow marine law.

Link the ML page for the MP and instruct them to release the player and carry out the proper sentence.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    Marines have a massive numerical advantage that is almost ten to one. They are delayrining.

SM the aCO/CO with strong encouragement to attack, informing them that only 4 xenos remain.

QM the xenos that the talls have a massive numerical advantage, it is time to die in glory for the hive, unless they can muster up the courage to hijack.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    I'm involved in the situation so I can't handle it. Ahelp the issue for another mod to handle.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    Shooting an enemy player isn't grief -> this was not EORG -> non issue. Explain this to the CLF - combat between enemy factions is permitted post round end.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    Roundstart shenanigans, very serious ones if he is stealing limited gear (like pamphlets).
    JMP PP notes PM see what their side of the argument is, note/ban if needed
    PM affected parties too
    Check logs if there's any ambiguity
    potential rule 2 break as well if they were just doing this for no reason at all.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Improper escalation, punches do not escalate straight into a gunfight. Check notes, then note or ban as needed. Inform the murderer on proper escalation with a link to the rules. (punches to melee to guns)

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    MOOC immediately to cease the mutiny attempt. Perform mass asleeping if they follow through and ignore the MOOC, check logs thoroughly to see exactly what happened, ban and note the leaders as needed, after PMing each one to hear their side. I'd try get another mod to help me out as this is a rather labourous task and we need to get the round back on track.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    a-LOOC the players to stop. Rule 2/3 note/ban people if it's more than minor, after pming them to hear their sides

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    30 day ban and file for perma. (I can't PM to hear their side if they are logged off) They can appeal on the forum. Open and shut case of grief/raiding. Check their CID and any connected Ckeys to make sure they are not an evader/alt.

Request aheal on the marines affected.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    This is a rule 11 break, first PM to see their side, then if they were suicide larvaing, inform them that they could have just ghosted in the spawning pool as larva, check notes and apply note/jban from xeno as appropriate.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    First I would PM the xeno to ask why they said this and insulted the queen, as well as to check if they have read the rules.

This is LRP and after checking the xeno's notes for previous offences I would note or ban them due to LRP as xeno.

Insulting the queen is also LRP however this can be handled IC via banishment. Regardless I would note them for it (in the same note)

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    Inform them it's allowed as xeno language/speech is a literal translation of the concept into written english words. non issue.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    PM to remind them of expected contact RP standards, and hear their side (maybe they were not aware of the rules about expected contact, although this is not an excuse). Note, and ban as needed if they have notes for this before.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    First PM the player to hear his RP reasoning behind the killing

If there are other pods yet to launch then this is IE/griefing and would get a note/ban

If it's the last pod and he has roleplayed the situation well, let him off with a verbal warning.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    Pretty much the same thing as the argumentative in ahelps one, but less severe as they aren't using PMs for it. Apply punishment if it gets out of hand.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    We are not baystation, you get no character protections while SSD. Explain this to the player and suggest they return to a safe area if they ever need to go SSD.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    tell the other staff member the right info, however it's their decision at the end of the day. Tell the mod manager if it ends badly.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    Enforcement of rules is down to the mod in question. If what they did was really questionable, inform the mod manager. Don't join in the argument.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    To help the server out, I have been thinking about applying for mod for a while as pretty often during the times I am on there are few/no mods at all.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    consistency : treating everyone the same and being consistent in your rulings and interpretations of the rules. Also being nice to players, as at the end of the day mods are meant to improve the player experience of the game by making sure people follow the rules.

Anything else you
    after ahelping in game apparently I have no notes, although I am pretty sure I have two from a while ago.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heya! You've been a discord moderator for a while, you've been a player for a while and you've even made it to synth council. Your replies and general behaviour show that you have a firm grasp on the rules yet I believe that knowing the rules doesnt equate to being suitable to enforce them.
    In your own words you say that 'being nice to players' is an important quality a moderator ought to have. A few days ago you played as XO and spend several command announcements declaring engineers to be incompetent idiots. Granted, the work they provided was less than stellar but that's nothing new for cm yet I rarely ever see somebody in command be so outspoken about it. Obviously, IC behaviour means relativly little since cm is a mrp server and we all got bad rounds but then there's your responses to a player report. ( https://cm-ss13.com/forums/showthrea...griefing-rules )

For clarities sake, the report was denied for all kinds of valid reasons but the point is more the way you behaved and interacted with the person making the report. The thing you consistently do is hide behind the rules, saying that somebody shouldn't complain about X since you didn't break the rules and therefore you did nothing wrong. Outside of the obvious caveat that you can act within the rules and still act in an undesirable way it made me feel like you lacked a certain amount of empathy. The biggest example of that is when the accuser said that the map your provided was false describing saying 'This is frankly bullshit'' to which your reply was soley posting '1. Be respectful at ALL TIMES. You may be angry about the situation, but you need to remain CALM AND COMPOSED.' A reply which, to me, is disrespectful. I understand that you were greatly annoyed at the time but it can never be the case that listing a rule is a valid response to somebody that is upset since that will just make it worse, it gives them the feeling they're talking to a wall, a machine that lists rules. I can go on and on with looking at this specifc case but you get the point.

Being a moderator means dealing with peeps and getting annoyed, if annoyed you acts in that manner then I dont think you should be a moderator and are better suited as mp that enforces the many ic rules we have these days. Being a moderator is more than telling others to follow the rules, it's knowing when to be harsh and when to be lenient, compassion, understanding that you're talking to a person that's angry regardless of it their anger is justified or not. I dont see you being able to do that when annoyed.
    Elly 'Lizard' Luckwing. Will one day become a moderator and ban dying.
    EL-XXX-Y. The alien that does the best of spins and has infallible aim.
    SSSSSSS
    If you want to talk without having to go through the cm discord you totally can: 5688#4849

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5688 View Post
    Heya! You've been a discord moderator for a while, you've been a player for a while and you've even made it to synth council. Your replies and general behaviour show that you have a firm grasp on the rules yet I believe that knowing the rules doesnt equate to being suitable to enforce them.
    In your own words you say that 'being nice to players' is an important quality a moderator ought to have. A few days ago you played as XO and spend several command announcements declaring engineers to be incompetent idiots. Granted, the work they provided was less than stellar but that's nothing new for cm yet I rarely ever see somebody in command be so outspoken about it. Obviously, IC behaviour means relativly little since cm is a mrp server and we all got bad rounds but then there's your responses to a player report. ( https://cm-ss13.com/forums/showthrea...griefing-rules )

For clarities sake, the report was denied for all kinds of valid reasons but the point is more the way you behaved and interacted with the person making the report. The thing you consistently do is hide behind the rules, saying that somebody shouldn't complain about X since you didn't break the rules and therefore you did nothing wrong. Outside of the obvious caveat that you can act within the rules and still act in an undesirable way it made me feel like you lacked a certain amount of empathy. The biggest example of that is when the accuser said that the map your provided was false describing saying 'This is frankly bullshit'' to which your reply was soley posting '1. Be respectful at ALL TIMES. You may be angry about the situation, but you need to remain CALM AND COMPOSED.' A reply which, to me, is disrespectful. I understand that you were greatly annoyed at the time but it can never be the case that listing a rule is a valid response to somebody that is upset since that will just make it worse, it gives them the feeling they're talking to a wall, a machine that lists rules. I can go on and on with looking at this specifc case but you get the point.

Being a moderator means dealing with peeps and getting annoyed, if annoyed you acts in that manner then I dont think you should be a moderator and are better suited as mp that enforces the many ic rules we have these days. Being a moderator is more than telling others to follow the rules, it's knowing when to be harsh and when to be lenient, compassion, understanding that you're talking to a person that's angry regardless of it their anger is justified or not. I dont see you being able to do that when annoyed.
    with the XO thing, it was more an attempt to get the engineers to do what I was asking of them than some insult to them. I don't remember calling them idiots (although I definitely said that an un-named engineer was incompetent) however this was entirely due to the fact that they had caded hydro wrong (and in the process made it into a glorified boiler killbox) and despite me asking multiple times on their squad frequency, engineering frequency, squad message the two engineers kept ignoring me. I resorted to a big announcement to get them to act + get the other engineers at hydro to help, and in the announcement I detailed exactly what to do to fix the situation at hydro. Mind this was prior to fog dropping and with the ability to announce every 30 seconds I had not much else to do.

In the report I'll admit I could have acted more empathetic to the other guy but it was not at the forefront of my mind. As it was pretty much a salt report I got a bit annoyed over it . This is also why staff don't handle things that affect them or that involve them in-game. As a third party I wouldn't get annoyed like this.
    Karl Karlsson, the man

Maxwell, the clanker

Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the Maicer

11/9/20 : synth
    13/9/20 : mentor
    6/10/20 : discord volunteer
    31/10/20 : predator
    1/12/20 : synth council
    16/1/21 : freed from CM

Synth gaming :

Spoiler Spoiler:

retired Synth councilman. Feel free to DM me on discord (or Optimisticdude, Yukonsnow, Jakkkk, and 50RemAndCounting) for synth questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While your responses are of quality and you've been a mentor for quite some time, I have to agree with 5688 that you come off / came off as a little abrasive in that report.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be deferred from becoming a moderator - if that was a one off, then I don't mind overlooking it. If it turns out to be a persistent theme, then I'm sure that AnUglySquare will handle it appropriately.

+1
    Gael McGuinness
    GySgt / Sgt / Lcpl

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no need to echo +1
    Retired CSM Jonathon 'Ghost' Granger

Discord Jonathongun#0219

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Withdrawing due to my own stupidity
    Karl Karlsson, the man

Maxwell, the clanker

Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the Maicer

11/9/20 : synth
    13/9/20 : mentor
    6/10/20 : discord volunteer
    31/10/20 : predator
    1/12/20 : synth council
    16/1/21 : freed from CM

Synth gaming :

Spoiler Spoiler:

retired Synth councilman. Feel free to DM me on discord (or Optimisticdude, Yukonsnow, Jakkkk, and 50RemAndCounting) for synth questions.