Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making Autoinjectors Viable

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making Autoinjectors Viable

I've put autoinjectors in my lifesaver belt for years despite not really ever using them. In most aspects they are less valuable than simply using pill bottles, because while they are a little faster to use than toggling your belt and taking pills out of bottles with one click (since pills need the patient to stand still for a second or so) they have considerably less medicine in them, and taking them out to use them messes up the order you put them in. Auto injectors are still capable of OD'ing or addicting your patient, so while you'd like to run in jamming injectors down everyone's throats a second after they take damage, in reality you still need to double check their blood stream.

I have a few suggestions to make autoinjectors more usable and make them a somewhat viable alternative to just taking a single pill out of a pill bottle in your belt. My first suggestion would be that all autoinjectors on inject run a short check to see if the amount of medicine in the injector would cause an overdose in the patient's bloodstream. With the amount of unneccesary legacy code we've been running I don't think a brief local check on auto injector use would too hardly strain the system, as it's only needed to run the check on the tick the injector injects. If the amount of medicine in the autoinjector would cause an OD, it spits out a brief line saying something to the effect of "autoinjector safeties activated" and the injector simply won't work. This would allow medics to quickly bap people in a crowd of people hit by a grenade or something without having to worry if they just damned their patient to a painful death. First responder autoinjectors, firstaid/painstop injectors, and research injectors should probably not be able to bypass the safeties for obvious reasons.

My second suggestion ties into the first, to give a bypass to these safeties. It would require using an autoinjector on harm intent, and upon successfully bypassing the OD safety on inject, it would spit out a line saying, "Warning: Autoinjector safeties bypass, dangerous levels of medicine administered" Doing so should probably send a notification to admins as this wouldn't have a lot of legitimate use outside of bicard ODs or emergency applications, but doing so would make it incredibly easy and obvious to admins if a griffon tried to do this.

My third and final suggestion would be a small animation that plays over the head of the medic and patient, like how we do now with most medic/engi stuff, it should be unique so all the medics nearby know to not double dip the patient with a pill afterwards.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changes such as these would make medic, which is already quite a dumbed down role compared to the role in the past, even more mindless.

ODs are a rarity already and are mild compared to the past, where a QC OD wasn't too rare and was extremely fatal.

The removal of minimedic would be a step in the right direction, readd combat amputations with blades, ect.
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well imho, I feel like auto injectors are already viable by the virtue that their effects are immediate.

Its just if you do go for an injector style load out, you're going to be hampered by the amount you can carry per syringe vs bottle and availability. Besides, better to combine both worlds; auto syringes for Dex+, Inaprov and Epi, and any thing else, pill bottle.

As for OD prevention... Any medic worth their salt will always scan first, twice, thrice before pilling patients.... if they think they OD'd them. Willy pilling people and not even bothering to scan can be alittle understandable, chalk it up to being bald, bad...or at the most, chalk it up to griefing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minimedic was a poor idea and dev teams already talked about changing it. As it stands nobody with experience will pick anything other than minimedic kit because it beats out every other kit.
    Nathon Stafford-Sunglasses wearing Delta L42 kiter man. Sometimes a Captain.
    Benedict-Praiser of Jesus, healer of marines, killer of Queens.
    Kahn'Ikesh-Blooded Hunter and great grandson of Gor'don Ram-sey
    (pfp by Manezinho)
    medals:https://pastebin.com/xiCJLuhz
    Mapper since 12/29/2020
    Had dev role assasinated on 8/2/21

Synth Councilor as of 2/5/21 along with Jakk, Frogzeke, Yukonsnow, and Flpls
    DM what#3954 for help with Synth Applications

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you're all missing the point, with OD safe autoinjectors, you can actually rush in to sites of AOE damage and heal a shit load of people without worrying if they were previously treated, thus opening a subclass of medic play

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a Medic, Doctor, Nurse fan/main, it's already incredibly difficult to OD marines unless;

A. The person you are treating treated themselves previously to your involvement. No scan, no communication.

B. The person you are treating had been double pilled. Another medic got involved, someone fed them Unga with a little too much Kelo and now it's interacting with your pills. No scan, no communication.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hypothetically autoinjectors could be a way to more quickly inject drugs with the drawback of less supply.

But right now pill bottles have like 700% more uses, while only requiring an extra second to apply during which you can read their other injuries/get other items/etc.

Something like autoinjectors having 20% less uses but being 10% faster to apply would be some kind of choice.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kooarbiter View Post
    you're all missing the point, with OD safe autoinjectors, you can actually rush in to sites of AOE damage and heal a shit load of people without worrying if they were previously treated, thus opening a subclass of medic play
    But that further makes medic dumbed down, which is why I'm against it
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a macro set up to stop double medic-ing

I always scan before pilling

If anyone ODs under my care it is usually due to them drinking unga or using tram injectors on themselves after I treat them

the removal of minimedic, eh, it is by far the best PFC kit since the removal of pfc flamers, however any nerf to minimed will make marines WAY weaker as they absolutely rely on it for healing. Without medic buffs to small healing (Stuff that only needs pills) minimedic removal will greatly upset balance
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Minimedic was a poor idea and dev teams already talked about changing it. As it stands nobody with experience will pick anything other than minimedic kit because it beats out every other kit.
    Heavy Armor Endurance + Kit baby!