User Tag List

Thread: 0% Evan marine win is intentional?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0% Evan marine win is intentional?

*evac win that is.

Since the larva update I never saw marines win after evac. Is that intentional?

Once I saw a bio-scan with 18 xenos vs 81 marines at evac. After about 10-15 xenos died the round ended with 41 xenos and 0 marines. They had all the resources like plenty of cades, sadar, boxes of HEDP, plenty of medical kits to survive. 1 month ago marines would have won easily. But since the larva update and defender buff, it feels like impossible to win.

Even if xeno only hold them off for 5 minutes, they got an other 5 defender to kill. There is no way to beat xenos on the ship.

My question is, is this intentional? If it is, might as ghost instead of evac as it's a 100% loss.

Where is the excitement if you know the outcome?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The winrate is 0 if you try to hold out, but you can still win if you storm the dropship. If 80 marines push into a dropship with 20 xenos that seems very winnable to me, but nowadays the commander never seems to order marines to actually charge the dropship, instead they tell them to hold, which just ends with marines being slowly picked off with plently of space for xenos to back off and heal over and over.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saytkl77 View Post
    The winrate is 0 if you try to hold out, but you can still win if you storm the dropship.
    That's what I was thinking, but to be fair while it sounds good on paper, like most things it can not be done 95% of the time.

By the time LZ lost marines are crippled. They are out of ammo, heavily injured, disorganized, most likely SLs dead, specs dead, morale is non-existent. Even if there is 81 marine on paper, half of them are civilians or non-fighters, quarter of them are incapable of fighting. And that 81 was an exception, most of the time it's 50-60 marines left.

On the other hand we got 20 xenos in one place (which is rare on the planet), 100% HP, 100% shield, screech ready, weeded up. And don't forget, queen ovis on DS so all T2, T3 spots will be filled. Every other xeno will have their evo points on max too. So even if you manage to kill a T2, T3, the others will take the place instantly. To charge them head on seems like a suicide anyway, let alone with the weak marines.

So I know this could be the only chance but let's face it, it will never going to happen. Not even close. Maybe if marines are forced to do it we will see it once in a few months, but still unlikely.

As I've said even if xenos hold on for only 10 minutes, that's 10 more defender to kill. That is HARD. hold on for 10 more? good luck killing all those drones and runners also.

What I would do is only give them the free larvas if the queen is on ovi so they have to decide to use her or get larvas. Currently it's kind of BS.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evacuation from the colony has always been a Xeno Minor, even in the Sulaco days, it was extremely common that losing the colony was the promise of an absolute slaughter shipside.

It often resulted in marines attempted to defend the evacuation shuttle which had to refuel before departing, the area was fun to hold out, as marines would often have multiple layers of defences and the xenomorphs would slowly but surely make their way through the layers, this was the end game, the marines new victory was a distant memory, this was about buying time and surviving.

This isnt to say that hail-mary plays didn't occur, I remember flooding Engineering with plasma as the hive came to finish the final survivors off, and we flooded the room with it, killing most the hive baring the Queen and Ravager, while we escaped using a hidden door, or times where a brave MT would fix the breach made by the dropship, the marines making a rare rally, following the Commander who was wielding his claymore and charging headfirst into the hive, somehow securing victory....But these were rare occasions.

Maybe I'm just a boomer, but I always liked having the odds stacked against me as a marine, it made the victory so much sweeter.
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solidfury7 View Post
    Evacuation from the colony has always been a Xeno Minor, even in the Sulaco days, it was extremely common that losing the colony was the promise of an absolute slaughter shipside.
    Well even before the larva update, unless marines really evacced after 40 minutes with 100 marines, the odds were against them. If the xenos were good the planet and marines were weak, most likely that carried over to the ship and it felt like a 75%+ loss rate on the ship...Which I'm perfectly fine with.

I feel like odds are anyway against the marines - that's how I like it. I hated when some of the marine weapons could be abused and it was 50% win rate. I actually prefer to xenos have an edge as I am too used to playing every single game on the hardest difficulty as it forces me to think of solutions. That's why I like this game, as deep it is, it really does make you think about your approach to a difficult problem.

With that said, there is a difference between extremely unlikely odds and literally 0% odds.

Keep the larvas why not, but than at least force queen on ovi, and add some tool, some interesting game mechanic to marines to counter boarded xenos. We have automatic shotguns okay, but I would like to see something creative added to the game that marines can use to at least give them a chance.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix it again Tony View Post
    Well even before the larva update, unless marines really evacced after 40 minutes with 100 marines, the odds were against them. If the xenos were good the planet and marines were weak, most likely that carried over to the ship and it felt like a 75%+ loss rate on the ship...Which I'm perfectly fine with.

I feel like odds are anyway against the marines - that's how I like it. I hated when some of the marine weapons could be abused and it was 50% win rate. I actually prefer to xenos have an edge as I am too used to playing every single game on the hardest difficulty as it forces me to think of solutions. That's why I like this game, as deep it is, it really does make you think about your approach to a difficult problem.

With that said, there is a difference between extremely unlikely odds and literally 0% odds.

Keep the larvas why not, but than at least force queen on ovi, and add some tool, some interesting game mechanic to marines to counter boarded xenos. We have automatic shotguns okay, but I would like to see something creative added to the game that marines can use to at least give them a chance.
    I'd argue that marines still have a pretty good chance, they merely have to choose between SDing or attempting to destroy the Xeno Spawn pool really now. The whole, fortify briefing meta isn't as viable as it once was.

Most the T1s are currently weak in the meta, so considering the larva have to mature, evolve and then they're a T1, they're adding something to the fight, another target but they're not exactly a huge threat compared to the absolute beastly T3s and Queen.
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler: