User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jakkkk - Moderator Application

Manager Emeritus & System Administrator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rambled about this in Staff Chat, so I figured I'd post it here.

I am still deeply concerned about the Predator incident, and despite all other qualifications, I cannot help but worry about a repeat of that, but as a moderator.

Unfortunately, I am opposed to this application for that reason alone.
    TrialModerator from 12/15/2018 to 12/29/2018
    Moderator from 12/29/2018 to 6/29/2019
    TrialAdmin from 6/29/2019 to 7/29/2019
    Admin from 7/29/2019 to 6/17/2021
    Manager from 6/17/2021 to ???
    ManagerEmeritus from ??? to ???

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jakkk is a good man with a good heart. He would make staff a better place. I love you brother.

Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like an excellently written application +1

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a retired staff member and a community member I have huge concern with you having staff powers. Though the answers are infact fine.

I have no ill will towards you and think you're a great person but that's exactly what people thought when you had Predator WL and wiped out multiple marines from the round during briefing...

Hell we've had perma banned people enter staff but the thing is with them, they gradually gained worse 'n worse notes and got perma banned than waited roughly over a year to join while remaining generally on good behavior. Thing with you on the other hand is you literally have no other note besides that SD in briefing which rises concern on control, what will prevent you from unleashing the fury of staff powers when you decide to take a break from CM?

Others brought up because you're Synth council we shouldn't worry. To my knowledge the councils only get a fancy name on discord, deal with applications, and influence the route of the WL. There are no round influencing powers and there are several council members to do the same and all are overruled by the head of the council, and by Snooper.

A lowly moderator has the power to delete and mass aheal. Deleting is basically gibbing and completely removes any traces of the person or objected removed and needs to be respawned by an Admin along with all the stuff on them ect. Smods+ now...they can completely destroy a round with VV shit and other fuckery.

For these reasons I cannot in good faith support you being staff. Great guy but with that incident coming out of nowhere with such a great abuse of the power that was entrusted to you so faithfully, I just cannot.

Synthetic Council Member Jakkkk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spoiler Spoiler:

First of all, thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns.

I'd like for you to hear me out for a moment and think on a few of these counterpoints that I have.

1. If my intention, or even subconscious intention was to get moderator and then grief the server, why wouldn't I have done it earlier? I've been unbanned for quite some time now, and within the first two weeks I got my seat back a synthetic councilor. Within the time frame of then to now, wouldn't it have made more sense for me to apply for mod earlier when I was putting in more hours and getting my name cleaned up? It's impossible to determine motive over an online volunteer staff community, yes, but I can sincerely say that I'm not gonna grief anymore. I had an incident for one round out of the 3 or so years I've been playing, with no other problems may I add, and now I'm not worthy of becoming a moderator?

2. Being a moderator and having increased capacity to grief doesn't really mean much in modern CM. A few years ago, mods could essentially do whatever they want with ingame perms, which have been slowly stripped away over the years as more and more moderators abused them. Hard griefing, which is the kind that I have a singular history of, is essentially equal across titles until you get to admin. My point is this; being a normal player and hard griefing the server is extremely feasible. There is an entire shipside role dedicated to the production of explosions that can just gib tons of people. If I wanted to grief the server again, wouldn't it make more sense for me not to waste my time on a moderator application and just make some bombs? Wouldn't I just play TC for a round and blast marines with the tank? The answer to this is because I don't want to grief anymore. I was a trusted player, I betrayed everyone's trust, I paid for it, and now I'm back.

3. If I am going to have this original sin mark on my account forever and ever now, with generally no hope of becoming anything greater, what was the point of unbanning me in the first place? Ban appeals are approved because the admin is willing to take a chance on the person and allow them to redeem themselves. It's about faith. It would be unfair to the people who were consulted about unbanning me if you were not willing to give me a shot.

4. People bring up the fact that I'm a synth councilor because it's a position of trust within the community. I've been doing since they've were introduced by Emerald, I was even placed on the council before we had official elections, because I worked my ass off to get myself a name within the synth whitelist. It's to show that: A. I have more to lose by being so invested in this whitelist community that griefing doesn't seem like too good of an option and B. I've been in an authority position for a while, and most of my fellow councilors over the years would agree that I've been fair to the synths. Also your point about being overruled by the council senator, and the whitelist maintainer doesn't make sense to me, because wouldn't it be the same for moderators in general? That's like saying that a single moderator has no influence over what they're doing because they have colleagues and superiors, which you know isn't true.
    Synthetic Senator

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The counterpoints missed my question I was aiming for, whether it be because you misinterpreted or trying to change the subject(which I doubt is the case). But I'll answer them.

It's not a matter of you wanting to join to grief. I have no doubt about you wanting to help out and be a good moderator.
    My concerns lay on what will prevent you from unleashing the fury of staff powers when you decide to take a break from CM?

As for staff not having many powers. Before I decided to retire, moderators were given SEVERAL new powers and were started to be included in more and more staff related things thanks to Soldier and some others. Upon my retirement I'm sure more has been handed out and promotions are more frequent.

For the appeal and being unbanned and all other application type deals, yes it's a matter of faith in the player not screwing up. But as I said before, your case is unique. I mentioned how those who got perma'd showed clear signs of failure and improvement which gave us an easier time to see whether they improved or not. You were a role model for the community and did great things, out of nowhere you did something awful because you wanted to take a break when all you had to do was just leave and maybe make a cheesy cryo post. This is why I have the issue of trusting you with staff powers.

Now when I mentioned being overruled, I was trying to make a point on how you can't abuse influential powers as councilor to my knowledge, I'm not entirely familiar with WL councils so I may be wrong. As a moderator yes you have supervisors but most of them don't play and wont be able to stop abuse of power if it were to happen.

Synthetic Council Member Jakkkk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spoiler Spoiler:

All very valid points. In all reality, there is nothing stopping me if I get moderator from griefing the server. There's nothing stopping me now either, it's all a matter of trust. I believe that some people throughout my time on CM have already forgiven me and trust me completely, evident by the many +1's on this application. I also believe that there are many people who have forgiven me but don't trust me to not do something like that again. I'd like for people to view this moderator application as a chance to prove them wrong.
    Synthetic Senator

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a firm believer of second chances. I had not the slightest clue of this background of his, though I'll remain neutral on the argument as a whole.

I'm sure that, with all of this time having passed, Jakkk definitely has the capability of performing his duties as a Moderator, barring any potential of hijacking our server by using his already limited powers during the TMod tenure. If he's really prone to fuck up as much as people would like to believe, we can simply community ban him with no chance of appeal, or at least permaban him for abuse of staff powers.

He's made a solid application, and he should be given some credit for it. I'm sure he's earned up to his past mistakes by now, reformed, and desires to prove he's more than just a child trying to make the server its sandbox.

Give him a chance, allow him to redeem himself as a valueable contribution to the team.

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I just spent the last 50 minutes talking with Jakkk in DMs.

From what I gathered he does regret what he did and has made amends to those affected when possible. I'm all for redemption but cases such as these, I'm super skeptical.

Stay true to what we discussed and the responses you gave and you'll be fine. Maybe overtime the trust that was lost that day may return to what it once was.

I'm willing to support this now.

- Doctor Compy, Retired Moderator

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Grimpreaperx15 on this. I don't think I trust you enough to have access to Moderator perms. The issue is what happens when you want to quit again? You get burned out from CM, you pull another stun out of nowhere?

I don't think I can trust you with access to what we have. Internal security is a first in my books.

Therefore, I will have to be opposed to this application at this time.
    Mentor 1st Mar, 2020 - 11th Apr, 2020
    Trial Moderator 11th Apr, 2020 - 23rd Apr, 2020
    Moderator 23rd Apr, 2020 - 31st Aug, 2020
    Senior Moderator 31st Aug, 2020 - 8th Oct, 2020
    Trial Administrator 8th Oct, 2020 - 6th Nov, 2020
    Administrator 6th Nov, 2020 - 21st Feb, 2021
    Moderator Manager 21st Feb, 2021 - 11th Jul, 2021
    Administrator Manager 11th Jul, 2021 - 8th Aug, 2021

Administrator 12th Oct, 2022 - Present