Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ice vs. Sorokyne

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Compy View Post

NOT HARD TO GO DOWN A DIFFERENT LADDER FOLKS. MAP IS BIG FOR A REASON
    Yeah at the 20 minute mark I had at least 3 traps under every single ladder but go ahead "take a different ladder". Oh you destroyed the traps? How nice, good on you. What now? Go down? Suuuure, the whole hive have been alerted that you are entering underground as trap messages are seen by every xeno but suuuure go. Oh look the are trying to push..too bad they can't as there are 6 million other traps in literally every corner...and yeah that 20 xenos in the dark corridor also doesn't help either....and that is with 1 borrower. We had a round with 3...they pretty much killed more marines than all xenos combined.

"Well let's take elevator than" noooo problem. Ooops, somebody places some clear resin walls directly in front of them...Message:"you see a boiler gas ball flying towards you"....GAS CHAMBER INTENSIFIES

Yeah that map was hell as marine and awesome fun as xeno. Also we had runners alert us anyways about marine movements and place traps on top also to spot them even further. God I loved that map so much.

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said, as a marine it required intelligence to gain ground, not yer standard unga ball of idiots.

I'll explain what tactics I used in the past to take victory as a marine, and these tactics nowadays would work in theory.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    For the issue of traps at every ladder. I'd send down several HEDP and HIDP nades to remove any weeds and traps laying about in several key areas. Such as Bar, Aerodome, Dorms, Garage, and Upper Engineering. Fire+Smoke nades worked REALLY well after a HE nade went down to break most of the resin defenses.

Next marines would use super grab conga lines and put pressure in these several areas while 2 squads moved into one of the elevators and another squad pushed through Upper Engineering. Those that pushed down those ladders would probably die but if they listened and brought deployable cades they'd have enough time to pull back up after marines got down in those elevators and a squad in engineering.

Boilers gassing? Smoke grenades! Highly underrated tool and probably the most useful of all. The moment you drop down those elevators and get hit by that first boiler cloud, spam OT smoke nades or research for older times to block the boiler gas from the majority while marines scatter and slap down those deployable cades and sentries up. Xenos now seeing a lot of marines in elevator all begin to move there to mass murder. They're either scattered from trying to deal with the multiple attacks on several areas or ignored them and now have marines behind them and a semi-fortified elevator bringing in more marines.

Metal foam grenades going off and more smokes to hold those Boilers back. If the majority of the xenos are there I'd move in the engineering squad to set up power in lower levels and maneuver them to flank the xenos attacking the elevator. If xenos are scattered I'd move more forces to push out of main elevator rooms. Once again continuing the barrage of smokes and deployable cades to keep boilers off and have defenses for melee attacks.

This is just one of many, MANY tactics I’ve used with success during highpop and I have a few for lowpop but that was always xeno-sided on any map. The idea for this map is to scatter the enemy, marines have greater numbers and several entry points and equipment powerful enough to shred the initial defenses to pieces. Xenos may have the home defense advantage but they lack the numbers to hold off all points to an appropriate standard. The main issue people have is boilers. Most I’ve seen on a highpop round are 3-4 boilers. There are 3 elevators and SEVERAL ladders for marines to attack at. Basically a deadly game of whack-a-mole.
    This is all without Specs too. If we add Specs into these variables and are managed properly, chances of success rise greatly!

B18 can fire 6 OT smoke nades in rapid succession to cover the front lines in smoke to block Boiler bullshittery. Another fun fact about smoke, if the xeno is in smoke along with marines, xenos lose their x-ray vision.

SADAR can use WP rockets, which are high-intensity flames with smoke. Metal foam rockets and plain smoke ones are also good.

Pyro can bathe the battlefield with hellfire to give engineers time to set up more defenses and Pyro combined with a smoke nade is lethal beyond belief on xenos.

Scouts have night vision and a cloak to give out calls on Boiler movement and if daring enough, sneak right up on the fuckers and smoke them with a big ol’ smoke nade to REALLY fuck with ‘em.

Old sniper was good with callouts the same as Scout but now with their critical shot, they can harass xenos with ease once defenses are up.
    I’ve pulled off this tactic as an SL with less than 10 marines initially. With tweaks of course.

Alpha SL, little after their skills got buffed so we could do engineering, it was ice colony. Dexfiles was CO so I spoke with him to devise a plan. The idea was to make it seem like it was a typical round of marines holding and pushing down an elevator while I made it look like my squad was just fixing all the reactors in upper engineering.

B18, Pyro, 2 Engineers, myself, and a few PFCs at first were holding up there and after all those reactors got fixed I rushed down that damn ladder by myself the moment the xenos began to attack the fake elevator attack. Quickly ran down there with a few flares to light up the area. Slay a warrior and pop a powercell in the APC. Bolt and shock all the doors and the rest jump down with the deployable cades and we secure the area lightly.

Engineer and I begin work on reactors while my trusty smoke PFC covers the area from Boilers, two M56Ds slapped down covering, and the two Specs working in union with one another causing massive destruction.

Dex pulls the elevator marines out and quickly moves them to reinforce us. Xenos now in panic with our hold on lower engineering move their forces to combat us. Few minutes later as xenos break the final bit of defenses I slapped together with damn tables, 3 squads worth of marines come rushing down those ladders cutting off the xeno’s escape. Falling for my trick, making it seem like all was lost, were now boxed in a room. Main hallway was covered by a mass of marines fully healed and the remaining ways out were shocked and bolted doors with me on an M56D firing into their crowd.

Killing off the remaining xenos, I lead Alpha squad now at full strength on a flank by breaching the south using C4. Delta and Charlie squads use the main route to excav which are the hallways, luring the xeno’s main forces there to combat them. Bravo now being sent on a secret mission of suicide jump down excav ladders with no resistance take on the few xenos at the hive and destroy the xeno’s fall back point.

Xenos no longer with a hive, trapped between two squads to the North and one to the South with barricades. Now have the fourth squad blasting out of the walls with guns blazing. Shortly ending with a marine victory.
    I seriously wasn’t kidding when I said this map required intelligence. You can’t just charge down a dark hole with nothing but buckshot and expect a victory. Other maps may promote such meta based tactics but this map requires squad cohesion, communication, and the use of marine equipment.

The map also promotes relying on shipside roles. OT working their asses off to get the required explosives and other tools down there. CIC discussing tactics and using cameras. Medical deploying to frontline cades to heal marines faster due to medevac being unavailable underground. Req ensuring equipment is managed more often compared to other maps. While yes any map can use shipside roles this way, it’s not required on other maps.

Of course this exact tactic wont work every time. There are many variables in combat and requires a keen sense of strategy to devise a plan on the dime and make whatever you get work.

That is what makes this map so great. Marines need to work together and outsmart the enemy. Using flanks and the environment to your advantage! No other maps have this. Crawl through the maintenance and blast into the main hallway to pull off a flank. Rig rooms to explode and lure xenos into them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a map causes lag (or makes it worse) which makes the round unplayable for certain load-outs and castes, they shouldn't really be in rotation until we can address that.

Minor lag is one thing but SS13:Chess just isn't fun.
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ice is good and enjoyable for me
    Chaotic puppet-master from hell

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ice colony is the epitome of gambling, but with the odds agaisn't you, there is no real 'effective' way of performing a marine LZ1 drop without killing the queen early, reason as to why its very dragging and jarring is how it utilizes different floors

Not only marines and xenos are forced to stay for a few seconds uninterrumpted to climb a ladder, but the locations they are going to are easy to predict.

See the problem? When you force a large force to only move in small packs you are easily creating a divide and conquer strategy for the enemy, hell they dont even have to do anything extraordinare, just sit underground or ground floor and wait for one side to show up.

Elevators are fine, but again, predictable, the enemy can easily force marines to break through many layers of walls just so they get caught off guard, xenomorphs have it simpler in Ice because atleast they have the opportunity of using queen screech co-ordination and enough T3s pressure to force marines to play a retreat

The solution? Make the enemy pick ladders first, so they get caught and murdered, problem with this strategy is that no one will willingly go to their deaths, which creates the infamous 10 hour long ice stalemate.
    Vibing as: Dismas Hind.

THE BOIS (And gals)
    https://pastebin.com/DHCmg4nM

Shoutouts to Manezinho for the pixelart

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ice was a good map as I've said many, many, many times before.

Reason why people hate it so much is because they lack the IQ to understand proper flanking and listening to the people in-charge. (Which is like, 5 IQ. Though 90% of the playerbase only has 2....)

NOT HARD TO GO DOWN A DIFFERENT LADDER FOLKS. MAP IS BIG FOR A REASON
    holy fuck Compy have you ever played the game before
    Nathon Stafford-Sunglasses wearing Delta L42 kiter man. Sometimes a Captain.
    Benedict-Praiser of Jesus, healer of marines, killer of Queens.
    Kahn'Ikesh-Blooded Hunter and great grandson of Gor'don Ram-sey
    (pfp by Manezinho)
    medals:https://pastebin.com/xiCJLuhz
    Mapper since 12/29/2020
    Had dev role assasinated on 8/2/21

Synth Councilor as of 2/5/21 along with Jakk, Frogzeke, Yukonsnow, and Flpls
    DM what#3954 for help with Synth Applications

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me and my 2 braincells not being able to figure out how to sneak 3 squads via different ICE ladder, while also not causing massive xeno exodus to trap us in thight corridors of underground ICE using just boiler gas and tanky T3s:

rIp.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 1000 IQ gigabrain has unlocked the secret to successfully flank on ice. All shall bow down before my WRAAAAATH
    Goosen Dagen-casual marine

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorokyne is a fantastic SS13 map.

It is a terrible CMSS13 map.
    Felix the Synth: hat fanatic, nice robot, one time double agent almayer synth executed for sedition. Occasional murderous mopbot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said, as a marine it required intelligence to gain ground, not yer standard unga ball of idiots.

I'll explain what tactics I used in the past to take victory as a marine, and these tactics nowadays would work in theory.
    For the issue of traps at every ladder. I'd send down several HEDP and HIDP nades to remove any weeds and traps laying about in several key areas. Such as Bar, Aerodome, Dorms, Garage, and Upper Engineering. Fire+Smoke nades worked REALLY well after a HE nade went down to break most of the resin defenses.
    I stopped reading your book here

No you don't. You are playing CM in your head, I played CM in...well CM. So let me repeat. No, you do NOT do those things. They have been tried and tried and tried and I killed more this way as a borrower than any T3 that round. I mean sure go ahead and drop your nades, it's not like the runner told me 10 minutes ago which ladders marines will use so I placed 20 more traps directly around the ladder.

What is that? You come down with 5-6 marines? Oh wow okay I DID NOT expect that as I'm a retard. Mind you...runner still watching you upstairs reporting us how many marines to expect. Oops. Your sneaky plan failed.

So you come down and maybe even throw a few nades sure, you eat 5-10 traps as they are all hidden. Marines don't even realize we are baiting them and telling the T2s, T3s NOT to attack you yet, just wait until you get away from the ladder. Now a 6v6 ensures...obviously marines WILL lose that. But hey, you got 1-2 who tried to escape. Too bad I re-trapped everything by that time and runners shred the engis and medics waiting for you upstairs.

We could have killed you straight at the ladder by gassing it, so your unga line by default was worse idea than an infantry soldier at Verdun. But we chose not to kill you as that 6 marine you ordered to die will now be used as bait. Obviously borrower will hide traps directly under their body and replace all of the destroyed/used ones for free in 2 mins. Now we just wait until some idiot tried to rescue them.

Also smoke nades? xD Xenos can SEE THROUGH SMOKE xD

Ice was a xeno map and I loved it from both sides. As a borrower even after queen was dead due to hydro hive I just went down. You can literally not catch a borrower there. Every object has a trap under it, supply lines are non existent and you will get constantly flanked non-stop.

So not sure if we are playing the same game here, but in CM..no, you don't just conga down.

Also for elevators...when you see the kill statistics confirming that ONE boiler killed 10 marines in 10 seconds as they stuck in the elevator due to resin walls and a gas chamber....yeah this map needs a rework.